PDA

View Full Version : Shels v Sporting Fingal Playoff

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lamper.sffc
03/11/2009, 11:05 AM
Looks like this will be at Tolka now after shels win last night.

Im not sure which id prefer. Morton or Tolka.

Im leaning towards Tolka. Better atmosphere, They dont play as well at home as they do away and we score more away than we do at home (39 away goals so far).

They will have a big crowd id imagine while ours will be small which will be the major dissadvantage to us playing at theirs.

If its at Morton they wont have quite as big a crowd but it will still hit the 1000 mark. While we would get about 7 to 8 hundred. Atmosphere wont be as good but we would have a bigger fingal crowd than at tolka.

FAI cup final, what FAI cup final, This is the big one for me. Cant wait.

fanatic
03/11/2009, 11:34 AM
Shelbourne 0 - 2 Sporting Fingal :D

Rovers1
03/11/2009, 11:48 AM
Is it not whoever finished 2nd gets home advantage??

De Town
03/11/2009, 12:31 PM
Having seen both teams play in the last month or so, I can only see one winner in this one.

Shels 1-3 Fingal

Raheny Red
03/11/2009, 1:10 PM
They will have a big crowd id imagine while ours will be small which will be the major dissadvantage to us playing at theirs.

No matter where it was played we would still have a bigger crowd than you!

HarpoJoyce
03/11/2009, 2:24 PM
FAI cup final, what FAI cup final, This is the big one for me. Cant wait.

Don't worry about that. It's Shels' Cup Final.

BohDiddley
03/11/2009, 2:46 PM
Never thought I'd say it... g'wan the southsiders.

Lamper.sffc
03/11/2009, 2:56 PM
No matter where it was played we would still have a bigger crowd than you!

Which is what I said:confused:

Can we for once not make this about the crowd. Lets discuss football for once.

Is it not whoever finished 2nd gets home advantage??

Yeah. Its likely Shels will finish second as they are a point ahead and face Kildare on the last day. Baring a major **** up, both us and shels should win leaving them 2nd

Buile Shuibhne
03/11/2009, 3:03 PM
If its at Morton they wont have quite as big a crowd but it will still hit the 1000 mark. While we would get about 7 to 8 hundred. Atmosphere wont be as good but we would have a bigger fingal crowd than at tolka.

You've never had anthing near 700 paying supporters of your team at one of your games.

The playoff will be treated like a cup game, with all free lists suspended and the proceeds split between the two clubs.

If it’s in Morton and your phantom support is calculated in the usual way by including all those freebie bussed-in Fingal residents, schoolboy clubs, Civil Defence et al, then you’ll have to hand over our payout based on those inflated figures

Your opening post is all about the crowd numbers

Lamper.sffc
03/11/2009, 3:17 PM
You've never had anthing near 700 paying supporters of your team at one of your games.

The playoff will be treated like a cup game, with all free lists suspended and the proceeds split between the two clubs.

If it’s in Morton and your phantom support is calculated in the usual way by including all those freebie bussed-in Fingal residents, schoolboy clubs, Civil Defence et al, then you’ll have to hand over our payout based on those inflated figures

Your opening post is all about the crowd numbers

No its not. I made a guess at the home game which was in shels favour. Every home game against yous has reached that mark or there abouts. Even in our first season without the promotions you talk about.

The freebies you keep going on about do not make up the majority of the crowd no matter how many times you say it. In a crowd of 7 to 8 hundred. Aproximately 1 to 150 are free. Now unless you have proof to say otherwise can we discuss the match.

Buile Shuibhne
03/11/2009, 3:30 PM
In a crowd of 7 to 8 hundred. Aproximately 1 to 150 are free. Now unless you have proof to say otherwise can we discuss the match.

Where's your proof of such figures/

Separately from your opening post - Shels will be clear underdogs, based on recent results / performances.

LeixlipRed
03/11/2009, 3:55 PM
Tolka gives us a better chance I believe. I also feel that SF fans should be in the Ballybough end for this game, the riverside allows any team, no matter how few fans, to generate some sort of atmosphere. I feel we will lose no matter what though.

Lamper.sffc
03/11/2009, 4:05 PM
Where's your proof of such figures/

Separately from your opening post - Shels will be clear underdogs, based on recent results / performances.

Mate. Im not saying mine are exactly true. It is an educated guess but i have been to every home game which would give me a better idea than you.
You, for the last god knows how long have been stating our crowds are this and we only get this amount of paying fans. You have been spouting this for god knows how long as fact. Since you seem so sure you are right then please explain how you come to this assumption. Id just like to know where you are getting your information from. If its based on two games against us in morton then thats pretty weak.

Lamper.sffc
03/11/2009, 4:12 PM
Tolka gives us a better chance I believe. I also feel that SF fans should be in the Ballybough end for this game, the riverside allows any team, no matter how few fans, to generate some sort of atmosphere. I feel we will lose no matter what though.

What about the fact yous have conceded so many more goals at home than away. Do you think this could be a problem.

http://www.extratime.ie/leagues/

GalwayRed
03/11/2009, 4:12 PM
Had a feeling this would turn into an argument about crowds the moment I saw the thread title. Can you all just give it a rest?

I reckon we will get beaten here regardless of where its on but if it weren't for the fact that we would have to lose to Kildare for it to happen I would want the game in Morton. Our record at home in the last series of games has been P5 W0 D3 L2 whereas our away record in the last series of games has been P5 W4 D1 L0. Although its mainly been down to us just playing rubbish of late it could be on the players minds that we haven't won at home in a while going into this game.

If we are to win this our defense is going to have put in a huge performance. Unfortunatly I cant see it happening.:(

pineapple stu
03/11/2009, 4:38 PM
Against that, Shels have the best record against the others in the Top Four, and haven't lost to any of them in this round of matches (albeit with the help of Fungus having a man sent off in Morton).

Also, away wins are all the vogue in this league. The second place team should be away from home in the game, I think.

LeixlipRed
03/11/2009, 5:32 PM
I wouldn't be worried about our recent trend of leaking goals in Tolka. The players know after Friday that if they go out and give anything less than 100% in the playoff game that it will be completely unacceptable. I expect a close game but SF to nick it.

KUFCMan
03/11/2009, 5:55 PM
I would guess the betting would be something like this

13/8 Shels
11/8 SF
11/5 Draw

To go thru

11/10 Shels
4/6 SF

CSFShels
03/11/2009, 6:29 PM
Think your betting on that might be a bit skewed with the 'to go thru' thing. If it gos to penos we're at a distinct advantage with Deano in goals.

Buller
03/11/2009, 7:05 PM
Never thought I'd say it... g'wan the southsiders.
Feels good, doesn't it?
If you become interested in making the big switch, PM me.

Personally I hope Shels get through. Much better supported and have history. I think it's too much too soon for Fingal to be honest...
Always up for the underdogs... C'mon shels!

blackholesun
03/11/2009, 8:18 PM

Exactly, what was it 42 fans at a Cup semi?

:rolleyes:

bhs

1895ringsend
03/11/2009, 8:43 PM
I think Fingal will be to strong for us but if we've to have any chance we have to secure 2nd spot and play them at tolka. If i'm not to mistaken shels have'nt beaten fingal at morten and fingal have'nt beat shels at tolka?

After what Fingal done to bray i'd imagine the premier divison teams will prefare to play shels. I could'nt see any of the teams bar maybe pats beating fingal if they were to lose their play off.

Shels and pats in the play off final would be very tasty ;)

blue til i die
03/11/2009, 8:52 PM
Exactly, what was it 42 fans at a Cup semi?

bhs

Whats your point?

At least they got to a semi final and didnt get knocked out by a non league team!

Cant we just talk about the match!
I do think Fingal will have too much for shels, stronger team and in better form at the moment!

neville neville
03/11/2009, 8:57 PM
When is this due to be played?

GalwayRed
03/11/2009, 8:59 PM
When is this due to be played?
Tuesday November 10th.

HarpoJoyce
03/11/2009, 9:16 PM
Whats your point?

At least they got to a semi final and didnt get knocked out by a non league team!

Cant we just talk about the match!
I do think Fingal will have too much for shels, stronger team and in better form at the moment!

BTID don't worry, the other poster is telling lies about Irish Football and the efforts of Irish Football Fans.
The fear is continuing to rise amongst some internet bullies. Even on this thread the moderators need to use abusive remarks about Fingal. Fingal's next few matches are out of their control and there's nothing they can do about it.

Good luck to Fingal.

stickyjoe
03/11/2009, 9:29 PM
[QUOTE=blue til i die;1264025]Whats your point?

Cant we just talk about the match!QUOTE]

I think hes a Rovers fan, it was Fingal that beat them in the cup

blue til i die
03/11/2009, 10:01 PM
[QUOTE=blue til i die;1264025]Whats your point?

Cant we just talk about the match!QUOTE]

I think hes a Rovers fan, it was Fingal that beat them in the cup

Apoligies, misread the original post, but still dont get people hatred of fingal, and the constant abuse for their fanbase. considering they only recently joined the bloody league. every single thread turns into a stupid slagging match which at this point is getting very annoying!

I personally hope its a good match, but as already said, expect fingal to win. Whether they can beat Pats/sligo/drogs, thats anyones guess!

Acornvilla
03/11/2009, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=stickyjoe;1264060]

Apoligies, misread the original post, but still dont get people hatred of fingal, and the constant abuse for their fanbase. considering they only recently joined the bloody league. every single thread turns into a stupid slagging match which at this point is getting very annoying!

I personally hope its a good match, but as already said, expect fingal to win. Whether they can beat Pats/sligo/drogs, thats anyones guess!
my prediction fingal to play drogs in the final

Lamper.sffc
03/11/2009, 11:17 PM
Against that, Shels have the best record against the others in the Top Four, and haven't lost to any of them in this round of matches (albeit with the help of Fungus having a man sent off in Morton).

Also, away wins are all the vogue in this league. The second place team should be away from home in the game, I think.

Acornvilla
03/11/2009, 11:18 PM
fungi seem to be getting a bad rap lately dont they:D

Lamper.sffc
03/11/2009, 11:22 PM
Feels good, doesn't it?
If you become interested in making the big switch, PM me.

Personally I hope Shels get through. Much better supported and have history. I think it's too much too soon for Fingal to be honest...
Always up for the underdogs... C'mon shels!

Personally I understand this point of view. If I was a supporter of a team in the top flight im sure id think the same. Shels do have the bigger support and the history. We are in the process of making our own history. Which will take some time.

fungi seem to be getting a bad rap lately dont they:D

Im used to it. Has been happening since I first joined the site.
Ill still argue with anybody who tells lies about my club though.:D Has to be done.

Schumi
04/11/2009, 1:14 AM
I think Shels fans are under-rating their chances. Their recent results haven't been good but they drew with Fingal and us and beat Waterford in the last couple of months. They seem to play better against the better sides for whatever reason.

Shels and pats in the play off final would be very tasty ;)
That's what I'm hoping for anyway!

pineapple stu
04/11/2009, 8:48 AM
BTID don't worry, the other poster is telling lies about Irish Football and the efforts of Irish Football Fans.
Any proof of this? If that's what the gate receipts showed, that's what they showed. You can't just say another poster is lying because it suits your argument; either offer some manner of counter evidence or don't post. Accusing someone of lying with no proof at all is just going to lead to a flame war, which we want to avoid (in fact, we're only just avoiding it here, and your post won't help in that regard).

Lamper.sffc
04/11/2009, 10:23 AM
Any proof of this? If that's what the gate receipts showed, that's what they showed. You can't just say another poster is lying because it suits your argument; either offer some manner of counter evidence or don't post. Accusing someone of lying with no proof at all is just going to lead to a flame war, which we want to avoid (in fact, we're only just avoiding it here, and your post won't help in that regard).

In fairness stu, A little bit of restraint from yourself sometimes, would be appreciated. The constant sniping at our club by you doesnt help either. Not trying to start something by the way its just a simple request.

Mr A
04/11/2009, 10:29 AM
I get the impression that Sporting Fingal tend to suffer for the past sins of Dublin City to an extent. Obviously there are a lot of similarities between the clubs (big spending, big ambition etc) but Fingal do seem to be more likely to make a go of it in the long term. That said, being more likely to make a go of it than Dublin City isn't much of a boast!

pineapple stu
04/11/2009, 10:48 AM
In fairness stu, A little bit of restraint from yourself sometimes, would be appreciated. The constant sniping at our club by you doesnt help either. Not trying to start something by the way its just a simple request.
I'll give it a try. :) Although I don't really consider Fungus "constant sniping", and I think Fingal fans will have to accept that a cE17k weekly wage budget on crowds of 500 will draw criticism from those who've seen this before.

Also, Harpo has a record of trying to stir trouble by making things up, which I'm trying to nip in the bud as moderator. Maybe he's right in what he says, but you can't just call another poster a liar without any sort of back-up argument.

marinobohs
04/11/2009, 10:51 AM
I get the impression that Sporting Fingal tend to suffer for the past sins of Dublin City to an extent. Obviously there are a lot of similarities between the clubs (big spending, big ambition etc) but Fingal do seem to be more likely to make a go of it in the long term. That said, being more likely to make a go of it than Dublin City isn't much of a boast!

I think many fans are a wee bit jealous of the resources available to Fingal (given they are in start up mode) and that this may be a factor in the constant "slagging off" they get here.There may also be concerns about future viability (we don't need any more "problem" clubs)
Personally I would prefer Shels to win because they offer more to the Prem division than Fingal AT THIS POINT (history + crowd wise) but would be delighted if Fingal continue to grow and are promoted in the future.

pineapple stu
04/11/2009, 11:07 AM
I think many fans are a wee bit jealous of the resources available to Fingal (given they are in start up mode) and that this may be a factor in the constant "slagging off" they get here.There may also be concerns about future viability (we don't need any more "problem" clubs)

More of your second point than your first, although probably a bit of both with most people.

A third point is that I'd say it disappoints people to see Fingal put so much money into a club and yet they still have poor support two years down the line. I know two years is only a short time, but it doesn't gel with the notions some people seem to hold that a fully-pro league with 5000 average crowds a game is attainable in the not-too-distant future.

Lamper.sffc
04/11/2009, 11:16 AM
I'll give it a try. :) Although I don't really consider Fungus "constant sniping", and I think Fingal fans will have to accept that a cE17k weekly wage budget on crowds of 500 will draw criticism from those who've seen this before.

Also, Harpo has a record of trying to stir trouble by making things up, which I'm trying to nip in the bud as moderator. Maybe he's right in what he says, but you can't just call another poster a liar without any sort of back-up argument.

Its not just that and the crowd thing is fine to a point but when its the same stuff over and over and over its gets a little tired, but anyway, fair enough lets just get back to football.

marinobohs
04/11/2009, 11:25 AM
More of your second point than your first, although probably a bit of both with most people.

A third point is that I'd say it disappoints people to see Fingal put so much money into a club and yet they still have poor support two years down the line. I know two years is only a short time, but it doesn't gel with the notions some people seem to hold that a fully-pro league with 5000 average crowds a game is attainable in the not-too-distant future.

Yea, no aurgument on third point PS, but to be fair it is hardly SF fault that the investment made did not get the response desired (crowd wise). Personally I am glad to see anyone invest in the League. Mind you, as I have long since given up on the "huge untapped market" theory any big increase in support for SF would probobly be at the expense of Bohs or shels 9as the two local teams).
I would see the Fingal model as a Tallaght-lite "build it and they will come approach" (new untapped market etc) and to be fair MK Hoops have made it work to a certain extent this season. Possibly Prem football is what they need to progress as a club.

thischarmingman
04/11/2009, 12:02 PM
I get the impression that Sporting Fingal tend to suffer for the past sins of Dublin City to an extent. Obviously there are a lot of similarities between the clubs (big spending, big ambition etc) but Fingal do seem to be more likely to make a go of it in the long term.

Genuinely interested as to why you think this is the case?

pineapple stu
04/11/2009, 12:10 PM
More and wealthier backers, I suppose.

CuanaD
04/11/2009, 12:51 PM
I would see the Fingal model as a Tallaght-lite "build it and they will come approach" (new untapped market etc) and to be fair MK Hoops have made it work to a certain extent this season. Possibly Prem football is what they need to progress as a club.
Also, & I'd see it as the main issue - they need a heartland - Just like it has added fresh interest & impetus to SR. SF need to be associated with one place - being called Fingal & yet playing out of Morton looks to most like a club without a home. If they can/do get their own permanent ground in the Swords/North Co area this should give them a much better chance to draw increasing support from the greater Fingal area.

HarpoJoyce
04/11/2009, 12:57 PM

(I am beckoned by a not-so moderate moderator.)

Sporting Fingal had far more than '42' fans at their Semi-Final versus Bray Wanderers. It is an untruth to say otherwise. You have also contracted the poster by insisting they get 500 fans at their matches. While you may have blown a hole in your own anti-Sporting Fingal arguments I hope you have sourced Douglas Adams's 'Meaning of Life, the World and Everything'.

I do have a record of standing up to internet bullies attached to UCD. That's a problem for you.

Sporting Fingal are one of the few First Divison sides (Limerick 37 FC 2008 and Finn Harps 2009) that have fielded a Senior, 'A' and U20 side. Money well spent.

LeixlipRed
04/11/2009, 1:19 PM
The comment about 42 fans was about their other semi final this season.

pineapple stu
04/11/2009, 2:02 PM
Sporting Fingal had far more than '42' fans at their Semi-Final versus Bray Wanderers. It is an untruth to say otherwise.
As bhs is a Rovers fan, I'd say it's fairly likely he was talking about the quarter final replay between Rovers and Fingal in Morton. It's a typo.

You have also contracted the poster by insisting they get 500 fans at their matches.
Average official crowd this season - 661. Not a million miles off 500. I didn't feel the need to check to be 100% accurate; again, most people understand the point being made.

I do have a record of standing up to internet bullies attached to UCD. That's a problem for you.
Please try and look for alternative solutions to minor errors before posting aggressive, inflamatory replies such as accusing people of lying or of being bullies (or of abusing people or of starting cliques, etc). You've been warned about this before.

Lamper.sffc
04/11/2009, 2:22 PM
The comment about 42 fans was about their other semi final this season.

Where we in two Semi finals:eek: Nobody told me.

As bhs is a Rovers fan, I'd say it's fairly likely he was talking about the quarter final replay between Rovers and Fingal in Morton.

Was there a replay at morton against Rovers:eek:Nobody told me.

You see, this is what im talking about. All these lie s about my club, Im sick of it ;)

pineapple stu
04/11/2009, 2:30 PM
Yeah, I nearly fell for that one too! Maybe he's counting the play-off semi. :p

LeixlipRed
04/11/2009, 6:03 PM
Quarter Final is what I meant.