PDA

View Full Version : Clive Delaney

EireBadBoy
27/02/2004, 1:37 AM
Now, not many reckoned he was good, in fact when Derry first approached him - Aug. 23. 02 - some said it was wrong.

Since then West Ham thought he was worth a go, St.Pat's fought to keep him, but, BUT, what did Footballing King Macy have to say about him then? Read it and weep!! :D

Big Clive would make it! (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=5278&messageid=1030074313)

I only found this thread due to looking to slag another Derry fan but this give's me immense pleasure. Cheers Macy!:p

pineapple stu
27/02/2004, 12:50 PM
Don't think Macy was ever known for his rational comments about UCD FC in fairness. Clive was always a class player for us and most people, once they got over their idiotic phase of slagging him for his height, would (grudgingly, if he was playing against them!) agree.

Would have made it in England only for the ITV Digital collapse.

Dodge
27/02/2004, 1:09 PM
He's been (at best) inconsistent since his return.

max power
27/02/2004, 1:30 PM
pats would have done better to keep hold of mcgovern when they had him.....proved himself last season..

Dodge
27/02/2004, 1:51 PM
No McGovern's not better than Maguire or Foley

max power
27/02/2004, 1:52 PM
well we shall disagree then....

pineapple stu
27/02/2004, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
He's been (at best) inconsistent since his return.

He has - surprised at that. We'll take him back if you want!

Any centre-back who was recommended by Gary Breen has to be fairly g....well...:D

TommyT
27/02/2004, 4:46 PM
Dodge,

Is that a reflection on him or on the fact he broke up the Maguire/Foley partnership (the best in the league IMO) and that fans felt the resources could've been better spent elsewhere ?

Dr.Nightdub
28/02/2004, 4:11 AM
Tommy, probably option (a) - once Delaney began starting regularly at the back last season, we looked shaky in defence, he seemed to upset a very nice balance that was there previously. In fairness to Daragh Maguire, he really rose to the challenge and played out of his skin for the last couple of months last season, even though he was being played out of position at LB.

It was telling that at the friendly away to Kildare the other night, Collins basically gave a run-out to the second eleven. Delaney started, Foley and Maguire were rested.

A face
28/02/2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Would have made it in England

:rolleyes:

pineapple stu
29/02/2004, 6:06 PM
Originally posted by A face
:rolleyes:

Why not? He was offered a contract by West Ham only for it to be later withdrawn. Sunderland would probably have signed him only for them to be completely broke. He was getting rave reviews on the West Ham website. So why wouldn't he have made it?

Macy
01/03/2004, 9:20 AM
Originally posted by EireBadBoy
Since then West Ham thought he was worth a go, St.Pat's fought to keep him, but, BUT, what did Footballing King Macy have to say about him then? Read it and weep!! :D

Big Clive would make it! (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=5278&messageid=1030074313)

I only found this thread due to looking to slag another Derry fan but this give's me immense pleasure. Cheers Macy!:p
Obsessed..... btw I stand by that comment - I've never rated him and still don't. I certainly wouldn't swap McGovern or Barry for him...