PDA

View Full Version : Liam Buckley's position..

holidaysong
01/11/2009, 4:00 PM
I've a question for Sporting Fingal fans. If Fingal fail to get promoted this season (you probably should have ran away with the title given the squad you have) do you think the board will stick with Liam Buckley for next year? And indeed, do you think they should stick with him?

What do the Fingal fans on here think and what do you the fans in general think?

drummerboy
01/11/2009, 4:44 PM
Is he not THE BOARD

Lamper.sffc
01/11/2009, 5:29 PM
Is he not THE BOARD

Something like that. It would be very difficult to fire him as its partly his baby. I reserve my opinion on the matter until after the big games coming up.

I will say that if he feels he is not doing the best for the club and another manager could do better, I would hope he would step aside to do what is best for the club.

I do agree that we should have walked this league this year. When we play well we could beat most teams in both divisions. I will say, that not having O Neil, Maher and Paisley for half a season due to injury didnt help. While others like Robbie Doyle and Philip Byrne have been injured quite often. That said, sometimes our tactics puzzled me and sometimes the attitude wasnt right.

I just hope we can make amends for the problems throughout the season by going up through the playoffs and winning the cup. I think most teams would and should fear us in a cup competition style game as we tend to reserve our best for these type of games.

holidaysong
01/11/2009, 5:36 PM
I didn't realise he was in a Mick Wallace type situation - being more than just the manager. That could make it very difficult for Fingal fans if you feel he isn't going to have enough to bring you over that final hurdle of promotion. To be honest, even if Fingal win the cup if the club don't get promoted through the playoffs then I don't see how you could regard the season as a success.. He's had two attempts at it now and hasn't been able to deliver (as yet) and I can guess what the opinions you're reserving would be Lamper if Fingal fail to make it up..

Martinho II
01/11/2009, 6:12 PM
This fingal project with Liam Buckley was in the making for at least 3-5 years before they made it in the first division.. So it is 100% Liams ...

Lamper.sffc
03/11/2009, 11:09 AM
I didn't realise he was in a Mick Wallace type situation - being more than just the manager. That could make it very difficult for Fingal fans if you feel he isn't going to have enough to bring you over that final hurdle of promotion. To be honest, even if Fingal win the cup if the club don't get promoted through the playoffs then I don't see how you could regard the season as a success.. He's had two attempts at it now and hasn't been able to deliver (as yet) and I can guess what the opinions you're reserving would be Lamper if Fingal fail to make it up..

I think where we went wrong was to make too many changes to the team from the first year. We brought in some quality but whatever team spirit was built up from the first year would have been broken. I was glad we brought in who we did but did we need to make so many changes. Im not so sure.

I dont feel like last year was an intentional attempt to qualify although we did in the end(attempt it). So I see it as one failed serious attempt IMO. If we dont go up id hope there are not the same whole sale changes as last year and even if some of the so called bigger names go, we are building up a good core group of young players. Williams, Foley, Whelan, Fitzgerald, Diny, Bayly, Mc Faul. Id be disappointed to see any of these go.

This fingal project with Liam Buckley was in the making for at least 3-5 years before they made it in the first division.. So it is 100% Liams ...

Yes. In the sense that he came up with and pushed the idea. From my knowledge it s not his in the same sense that Wallace s Wexford Youths is his.