PDA

View Full Version : Irish Journos = Remedial Monkeys

A face
31/10/2009, 8:41 PM
Are all Irish Sports Journos completely devoid of any imagination or free thinking that they all seems to continually ask ad nauseam about players who will not feature in Traps squad. I mean the dogs on the street know at this stage that there are a number of players who we wont ever see in a green shirt while he is there.

You would have to wonder, bearing in mind that the penny has been dropping all the time over the last number of months, if there was ever a penny dropped for them? Do they not have the necessary spark? Is there a motor neuron back firing somewhere to say that these guys haven't twigged yet?

We are having to read, look and listen to their stuff continually without option in alot of cases. Is it too much to expect that their little hamster isn't dead on the wheel and that they can come up with another line of questioning to give us some news on what is happening bar the players who we know 100% will not be playing for us ever? Give is a feicin' break sometime soon.

When one of those players DOES get called up THEN it will be news. Until that happens ...... it is NOT news. Please for the love of god and all that is sacred can someone flick the switch and leave these guys have a lightbulb moment for themselves.

Crosby87
31/10/2009, 9:09 PM
I totally understand what you are saying but part of the issue is Trap does not close the door on certain players so naturally people think it is still open to debate. He just said recently that he would not close the door on Andy Reid for example.
If he indeed has said to Liam Brady, for example; "Andy will never be in the squad as long as I am here." Then it would do everyone well for him to say that to the press....

Just yesterday I posted wondering if it would be etched in stone that IF we make the WC Andy wouldnt be in the squad and someone replied that there would be friendlys for Trap to name Andy and reasses the situation....Which makes no sense to me. I mean if Andy could help in the World Cup surely it stands to reason he could help us to get there right now....

So I agree with you but speculation is only rampant b/c Trap lets it be that way...

geysir
31/10/2009, 9:31 PM
Judging by the noise level of the table being thumped as Trap answered the questions at the last press conference, I think we will be in for Strunz like rant one of these days.

rambler14
31/10/2009, 11:13 PM
Judging by the noise level of the table being thumped as Trap answered the questions at the last press conference, I think we will be in for Strunz like rant one of these days.

I'm surprised nobody has translated that video to make it seem like he's talking about Reid........y'know like the Hitler video.

Junior
01/11/2009, 7:06 AM
I didnt see the press conference. Out of interest, was the Stephen Ireland question raised again? If not, does this mean the Irish Media have copped on and will be right behind the boys for the forthcoming games or is it simply that Andy Reid is the weapon of choice?

geysir
01/11/2009, 7:24 AM
Not a whimper about SI.

The Andy Reid issue covers most of the angles around the shifting goalposts.

noddy102
01/11/2009, 10:54 AM
The media are always looking for a story, and in modern times have always focused their attention upon criticism. They generally have nothing else to offer. The media know if they can identify the most obvious points, about the team selection in this case, then should results not go the manager's way, they will be able to apportion blame to the original selection choice made by the manager and convince the readers and listeners that this is indeed the reason why the manager has failed.

Any reasonable person can understand that S. Reid, Finnan, A. Reid and Morrison are not in the team because either they are not match fit yet, or because Trapattoni doesn't believe they fit in with his system. We must respect Trapattoni in his decisions - he has been picked to do the job and so far he has done a fantastic job.

Personally, I would have liked to see Andy Reid in the squad for France, and previous squads, but I can also accept why he was not chosen.

Murfinator
01/11/2009, 12:49 PM
Poor thread, journalists write whatever muck their readers are interested in and any sport journalist will tell you that soccer fans for the most part aren't the most learned crowd. Sad fact is people reading those columns lap up SI gossip or conspiracy theories regarding Andy Reid. It sells papers.

Which is annoying since when you compare it to Rugby journalism with regards Quinlans recent omission there's far less sensationalism and most writers will say something along the lines of "I see where Kidney's coming from on that" and move on to discuss the more important things. While soccer writers are far busier writing some spin that implies Andy Reid drowns kittens or some such.

I'd love to pick up a paper that doesn't contain

a) A page on a one line comment Stephen Ireland made.
b) A skew on something Trap or Tardelli said.
c) A "boo hoo poor me" column on Andy Reid / Clinton Morrison / whoever else isn't getting a call up.
d) Whatever random guffah Roy Keane is spouting this week.

But in reality soccer fans seem to like that kind of trash, I'd wager there's quite a few "fans" out there who could tell you Theo Walcott's middle name or the name of half the wives of the England team but have never heard of Esteban Cambiasso. A lot of the journalism out there is aimed at that section of the audience.

To shorten all that up, you're wrong. The majority of soccer fans out there are remedial monkeys and the journalists are just giving them piles of crap to fling at each other.

twoenz
01/11/2009, 2:07 PM
The BBC report on Duffer's injury mentions the fact that Clinton hasn't been called up! So it's spreading.

It's just Dunphyism run wild: get a point that's not going to be resolved anytime soon, and keep shouting it as loud as possible until something happens.

At the end of the day it's pretty hard to argue with an unbeaten team coached by a guy that has more medals from his coaching and playing days than the whole squad that's working for him.

Murfinator
01/11/2009, 2:15 PM
The problem is soccer is a simple game on the face of it so every tom, dick and harry think they know the game inside out and whats best for any team. There's a lot less respect for a coach and their decisions than their would be for more complex games like Rugby or Hurling where you're dealing with more players and more complex rules that the average joe probably doesn't claim to know everything about.

Mcgeady46
01/11/2009, 3:13 PM
how most of them got their jobs as sports journalists in beyond me.

spouting the same bull**** week after week, the kind of bull**** that belongs on a 14 yr olds bebo page and they are trying to pass it off as sports journalism - pathetic

EastTerracer
01/11/2009, 3:14 PM
The problem is soccer is a simple game on the face of it so every tom, dick and harry think they know the game inside out and whats best for any team. There's a lot less respect for a coach and their decisions than their would be for more complex games like Rugby or Hurling where you're dealing with more players and more complex rules that the average joe probably doesn't claim to know everything about.

Murfinator, why do you spend so much time on here when you would clearly much prefer to be posting on www.eggchasing.ie?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion (and I understand your point above about the populist media) but you constantly post on here to wind people up or to belittle football fans or the game itself.

Stuttgart88
01/11/2009, 4:14 PM
I agree with murfinator in this instance, esp wrt rugby. Everyone thinks they are a soccer know-all. I'd happily goe toe-to-toe with any ex-soccer playeer and pretty much any half-decent coach on tactics and players' abilities etc. but I wouldn't dare utter a word about a front-row forward or a wing forward to an ex-rugby player, despite having watched rugby all my life.

elroy
01/11/2009, 4:35 PM

Good point, too many people see the style of play that Trap adopts as boring and inhibiting the team, when imo in reality its an effective system that is utilising the teams abilities very well and masking alot of its deficiencies.

I think Gilesy once said that sometimes a nil-nil tactical battle can be more entertaining to me than a 2-2 draw.

thankfully the SI thing has died down a bit recently in the papers, replaced somewhat by the A Reid story. But if your going to read red tops you will consistently get trash sensationalist and more than not incorrect journalism........its what sells their papers like it or not!

Murfinator
01/11/2009, 5:09 PM
Murfinator, why do you spend so much time on here when you would clearly much prefer to be posting on www.eggchasing.ie? (http://www.eggchasing.ie?)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion (and I understand your point above about the populist media) but you constantly post on here to wind people up or to belittle football fans or the game itself.

I didn't realise you weren't allowed to follow more than one sport at a time! :)

Some guy made a rather ridiculous claim that all soccer journalists mentally challenged and likened them to chimps and I'm feeling kind of wound up myself that I'm the one getting the stick for disputing that. :rolleyes:

Whatever it is about soccer there's a sizable portion out there who view it more as a soap opera than an actual sport and are just looking for talking points and controversy rather than anything sporting. That's undeniable and a shame but I'm not going to go around berating journalists for talking about what a lot of readers want to hear.

thischarmingman
01/11/2009, 5:53 PM
Thankfully the SI thing has died down a bit recently in the papers, replaced somewhat by the A Reid story. But if your going to read red tops you will consistently get trash sensationalist and more than not incorrect journalism........its what sells their papers like it or not!

Thank you, what do people expect if they're going to buy newspapers with the reading ages of 9-12-year olds? Loud noises and bangs to keep your mind of those boring old words.

geysir
01/11/2009, 8:04 PM
Some guy made a rather ridiculous claim that all soccer journalists mentally challenged and likened them to chimps and I'm feeling kind of wound up myself that I'm the one getting the stick for disputing that. :rolleyes:
He asked the question, are all journalists etc etc.
The answer is simple, not all journalists are remedial cases. But there are enough at the press conference who approach the issues of the squad selection with the understanding of a remedial monkey.
It is fair comment to call their "journalism" remedial and express frustration.

Whatever it is about soccer there's a sizable portion out there who view it more as a soap opera than an actual sport and are just looking for talking points and controversy rather than anything sporting. That's undeniable and a shame but I'm not going to go around berating journalists for talking about what a lot of readers want to hear.

The topic is about the journalists at Traps press conference.
I don't know if you have read the print articles about Traps press conference in the Examiner, the Times and The Indo. The first 2 are a good read and give a very fair account of the exclusions, the issues over the exclusions and Trap's rationale. Both articles are without an agenda. However the Indo's article by O'Donnell is poor, lazy and overly laden with conjecture.
I don't know about the rest.

John83
01/11/2009, 9:01 PM
If Irish sports journos are "remedial monkeys" (a ****-poor pejorative which mostly highlights the fact that most of the apes who've posted so far don't actually know what "remedial" means), it's because the Irish paper-buying public continues to pay to read their masterpieces of flung dung.

It's kind of like Fianna Fáil - you get what you pay for.

EastTerracer
01/11/2009, 9:13 PM
If Irish sports journos are "remedial monkeys" (a ****-poor pejorative which mostly highlights the fact that most of the apes who've posted so far don't actually know what "remedial" means), it's because the Irish paper-buying public continues to pay to read their masterpieces of flung dung.

I accept the underlying point here but there is a great disparity between the different writers not necessarily explained by their respective papers' demographics.

Liam Mackey (Examiner) , Emmet Malone (Irish Times) and Neil O'Riordan (The Sun) have always seemed to me to be pretty fair and balanced.

However Independent newspapers (Sunday, Irish and the Herald) do seem to have had a negative agenda in recent years personified by Dion Fanning, Daniel McDonnell and Paul Hyland. None of them ever seem to have a good word to say and you do have to wonder if this is the house policy.

Emmet7
01/11/2009, 9:15 PM
We now have a squad of players who are fully committed to the cause. They are also players who accept the managers judgement.

We can't have players in the squad no matter how gifted who won't do as their told.

If discipline breaks down for one player, there is a danger it will break down for all.

You can't have one rule for one player, and other rules for other players, that would destroy team morale.

As for Stephen Ireland, do we really want a guy who will dissapear the next time his girlfriend is pregnant, or the next time someone insults him, on the eve of a major match. The guy can't be depended on.

As for Andy Reid, if he was in the squad, he wouldn't be a starter on the team. He's be on the bench all the time. I'd say anyone would get p*ssed off travelling all over Europe just to sit on the bench. And if he wasn't allowed bring his guitar or banjo he'd be in a mood.

I think Trap learned from the Saipan episode, that it's better to leave out good but troublesome players than have them disrupting preparation and going to the press to spill the beans every time they have a gripe.

And to the OP, yes, the Irish sports media, well most of them with a few exceptions are lacking in imagination.

Junior
03/11/2009, 8:10 AM
We now have a squad of players who are fully committed to the cause. They are also players who accept the managers judgement.

We can't have players in the squad no matter how gifted who won't do as their told.

If discipline breaks down for one player, there is a danger it will break down for all.

You can't have one rule for one player, and other rules for other players, that would destroy team morale.

As for Stephen Ireland, do we really want a guy who will dissapear the next time his girlfriend is pregnant, or the next time someone insults him, on the eve of a major match. The guy can't be depended on.

As for Andy Reid, if he was in the squad, he wouldn't be a starter on the team. He's be on the bench all the time. I'd say anyone would get p*ssed off travelling all over Europe just to sit on the bench. And if he wasn't allowed bring his guitar or banjo he'd be in a mood.

I think Trap learned from the Saipan episode, that it's better to leave out good but troublesome players than have them disrupting preparation and going to the press to spill the beans every time they have a gripe.

And to the OP, yes, the Irish sports media, well most of them with a few exceptions are lacking in imagination.

Somehow I doubt whether Trap has even heard of the Saipan episode! (as strange as that may sound) Much like never hearing of Sam Allardyce and the fella before him (whos name escapes me).

Trap has his own way of diing things and imo uses his own life experiences to make his calls.

newrynyuk
03/11/2009, 8:20 AM

I can't wait! Can you imagine? "How dare he make noise? Like bottle empty" etc...

weecountyman
03/11/2009, 7:02 PM
The debate over the Irish media (print and broadcast) is interesting as in general they are a little better than in the UK but there are good and bad everywhere. The high queen of Irish "punditry" showed his limited abilities when, during the Russia - Holland game last summer, stated "No one had heard of this Arshavin lad before this tournament." Which was highly odd for anyone with a brain and who watched more than the sky leagues.

Equally nonsensical guff can be heard each weekend on BBC, SKY and many continental channels cause your ears to bleed. But, as a previous poster said, we get what we deserve and pay for. Fans follow news, when there is no news the media provide it, and ultimately we're part of a larger entertainment machine. Modern football and it's parts are little different to the music or film industry - or if you're Rio Ferdinand - all the same!

tetsujin1979
03/11/2009, 7:38 PM
The debate over the Irish media (print and broadcast) is interesting as in general they are a little better than in the UK but there are good and bad everywhere. The high queen of Irish "punditry" showed his limited abilities when, during the Russia - Holland game last summer, stated "No one had heard of this Arshavin lad before this tournament." Which was highly odd for anyone with a brain and who watched more than the sky leagues.

Equally nonsensical guff can be heard each weekend on BBC, SKY and many continental channels cause your ears to bleed. But, as a previous poster said, we get what we deserve and pay for. Fans follow news, when there is no news the media provide it, and ultimately we're part of a larger entertainment machine. Modern football and it's parts are little different to the music or film industry - or if you're Rio Ferdinand - all the same!
What Dunphy actually said was that he had his doubts about Arshavin's skill, seeing as that the bigger clubs across Europe - United, Arsenal Barcelona, Real, Milan, etc - who all have scouting networks across the globe, had shown no interest in him, and it was surprising given his age (26) that he had made such a little impact in previous tournaments and qualifers

weecountyman
04/11/2009, 8:18 AM
tetsujin, he added that, but he did say he was unknown. Which was very odd as the Barcelona chief scout was in St. Petersburg during Zenit's Uefa Cup group games and a deal was agreed, but the transfer fee wasn't enough. Russia hadn't done much previously (2 tournaments) however Arshavin had been outstanding for club and country for 3 years. Unless it's sky league business our pundits are out of their depth.

tetsujin1979
04/11/2009, 9:23 AM
tetsujin, he added that, but he did say he was unknown. Which was very odd as the Barcelona chief scout was in St. Petersburg during Zenit's Uefa Cup group games and a deal was agreed, but the transfer fee wasn't enough. Russia hadn't done much previously (2 tournaments) however Arshavin had been outstanding for club and country for 3 years. Unless it's sky league business our pundits are out of their depth.To be fair, it's rare that any Irish pundit is asked to cover a Russian club side in any great detail, which is where Arshavin had made his mark at that time.
I hadn't heard of him until I went to the UEFA Cup final in 2008.

weecountyman
04/11/2009, 1:07 PM
To be fair, it's rare that any Irish pundit is asked to cover a Russian club side in any great detail, which is where Arshavin had made his mark at that time.
I hadn't heard of him until I went to the UEFA Cup final in 2008.

Point taken and very correct. It's not your job, well maybe it is :), to be a football pundit, however it shows that our crop are very insulated and limited in their vision. The same goes for our players (in the main). There's a whole big world out there yet not making the grade down to Blue Square N/S means you've failed and all that's left is the LOI, which is wrong. Any number of our players can make a living and/or name for themselves in other European leagues, even up to the top level. I still believe that Roy Keane would be healthy and winding down his career if he had gone to Germany when he had the chance, or even to, I hestitate to say, Italy. But that's a different thread of course.

Leeside Swagger
04/11/2009, 2:40 PM
Tony O'Donoghue asking Trap about Andy Reid in the post match interview after the Italy game really was a new low in Irish sports journalism.

geysir
04/11/2009, 3:44 PM

You calling me an ape:D

'Remedial monkey' might not be the best term but it it should not be too difficult to try and understand what is meant.
Monkeys providing remedial information for slow learners.
The hamster analogy referred to the repetition of these questions.
I am surprised the Stephen Ireland issue is buried, at least for now.

I don't go along with the 'you get what you pay for' argument. When Trap gives a press conference, it is for the most part dominated by inane questions justified by the publics want to know or need to know.
In reality the motivation for many of the questions are not so benevolent.

The journalists already mentioned who have some cop on, do give us what we deserve (a reasoned account), when they write their piece on it. They have earned their appreciation.

A face
04/11/2009, 10:55 PM
Poor thread, journalists write whatever muck their readers are interested in and any sport journalist will tell you that soccer fans for the most part aren't the most learned crowd. Sad fact is people reading those columns lap up SI gossip or conspiracy theories regarding Andy Reid. It sells papers.

Which is annoying since when you compare it to Rugby journalism with regards Quinlans recent omission there's far less sensationalism and most writers will say something along the lines of "I see where Kidney's coming from on that" and move on to discuss the more important things. While soccer writers are far busier writing some spin that implies Andy Reid drowns kittens or some such.

I'd love to pick up a paper that doesn't contain

a) A page on a one line comment Stephen Ireland made.
b) A skew on something Trap or Tardelli said.
c) A "boo hoo poor me" column on Andy Reid / Clinton Morrison / whoever else isn't getting a call up.
d) Whatever random guffah Roy Keane is spouting this week.

But in reality soccer fans seem to like that kind of trash, I'd wager there's quite a few "fans" out there who could tell you Theo Walcott's middle name or the name of half the wives of the England team but have never heard of Esteban Cambiasso. A lot of the journalism out there is aimed at that section of the audience.

To shorten all that up, you're wrong. The majority of soccer fans out there are remedial monkeys and the journalists are just giving them piles of crap to fling at each other.

Only getting back to this now ..... and i have to say that that is a steaming pile. I do not buy it, you have not even come near swaying my opinion. You disagree fair enough but trying to blame the readers ..... that is the biggest cop out i have ever heard .... cart and horse ... in that order ... readers read what is written .... the writing happens first and then the reading ..... so ..... to shorten all that up, you're wrong.

Try harder next time

And John, Remedial Monkeys was just fine for my liking because you were in no doubt what so ever about what i was saying.

And when Irish Sports Journos all get a bit of original spark and imagination wholesale and not resort to the tired wheeled-out methods of 'investigative reporting' then i'll come back and admit i was wrong. Until then they are the guys paid to give us a bit of insight and inform us on the stories of the day. Anyone can give you bad news, and anyone can give you the negative slant on things, it takes considerably less effort and thats why they do it. That and their lack of ability. Next

Emmet7
05/11/2009, 10:59 AM
Many journos do approach every football story from a sensationalist point of view, looking for the controversial sensationalist angle.

So if Trap omits Andy Reid for football reasons, the media try to make out it's because of a bust up.

In fact few journalists can write a football story without using the words bust-up, sack, failure, etc etc.

Many seem to have little interest in what actually happens on the field.

John83
05/11/2009, 11:36 AM
You disagree fair enough but trying to blame the readers ..... that is the biggest cop out i have ever heard .... cart and horse ... in that order ... readers read what is written .... the writing happens first and then the reading ..... so ..... to shorten all that up, you're wrong.
A face, meet capitalism, capitalism, meet A face. The customer gets what he wants, or he goes elsewhere.

And John, Remedial Monkeys was just fine for my liking because you were in no doubt what so ever about what i was saying.
Well ain't that just spastic.

Wolfie
05/11/2009, 12:48 PM
I accept the underlying point here but there is a great disparity between the different writers not necessarily explained by their respective papers' demographics.

Liam Mackey (Examiner) , Emmet Malone (Irish Times) and Neil O'Riordan (The Sun) have always seemed to me to be pretty fair and balanced.

However Independent newspapers (Sunday, Irish and the Herald) do seem to have had a negative agenda in recent years personified by Dion Fanning, Daniel McDonnell and Paul Hyland. None of them ever seem to have a good word to say and you do have to wonder if this is the house policy.

Some good points.

Indeed its a gross generalisation to tag all Irish football journalists as being substandard, although many do their damndest to bring adverse comment upon themselves.

House policy of the paper is a salient point - eg, certain articles written to represent a papers agenda on specific issues can cloud objectivity at times.

Most Reporters don't have a complete free reign - they've an editor to answer to.

Not sure, but Columnists may have more scope to comment freely?

One things for sure - there's been as much, if not more, written about who is not playing in this team in comparison to those who have.

Stuttgart88
07/11/2009, 1:03 PM
David Kelly in today's Indo:

The next fortnight will verify whether Giovanni Trapattoni has thus far owed more to luck than design, in the sense that his luck has seemed obvious to all at various stages of this campaign, whereas his design seems predicated on nothing more than simple instructions to arrow the little white orb towards the opposition goal.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/method-with--the-madness-1936602.html

Crosby87
07/11/2009, 1:13 PM
David Kelly in today's Indo:

The next fortnight will verify whether Giovanni Trapattoni has thus far owed more to luck than design, in the sense that his luck has seemed obvious to all at various stages of this campaign, whereas his design seems predicated on nothing more than simple instructions to arrow the little white orb towards the opposition goal.

If thats the case then how would he describe Stauntons design?

weecountyman
08/11/2009, 6:45 AM
In marketing there is the KISS (keep it simple stupid) motto - and surely this is what football is about too! We were in a tough group with the World Champions, a collection of highly talented individuals (Bulgaria), a growing force with players from top leagues (Montenegro), a country whose clubs who qualify for group stages of European competitions as well as players in top flight leagues (Cyprus), a well drilled and skilled side with players from top flight leagues (Georgia) and there were no San Marino, Andorra, Luxembourg, Malta, Faeroes, Moldova, Liechtenstein or Armenia to run up goals against. But we finished 2nd and with a bit more self-belief could have won the group.

There is an agenda, in a horribly british style, to destroy our managers in recent years. It's been growing and growing and the nonsensical S Ireland, S Reid, A Reid and S Finnan debates and rants are manna to the media. And it'll continue so long as "fans" buy the sky hype and lord o'reilly's need for profit.

irishfan86
08/11/2009, 6:58 AM
There is an agenda, in a horribly british style, to destroy our managers in recent years.

Funny that the only "Brit" on the RTE panel is the one talking sense then!

Emmet7
08/11/2009, 2:52 PM
Agreed weecountyman...

Luckily there are people who watch these games, who ignore the hype, the sensationalism, the headlines about bust-ups, and are able to analyse these games without an agenda or long running chip on their shoulder and who don't need highly paid 'experts' to tell them what they see with their own eyes.

Trap is not a lucky manager when it comes to Ireland. In fact you could argue quite the opposite.

He has for example no Stephen Ireland to select, for reasons that date back prior to his reign to the Stan / Don Given era. He's been unlucky that a suburbly gifted player has a feeble ego that has to be massaged endlessly, only Trap isn't willing to play the game and has more important things to do.

He's been unlucky that we had good leads against Bulgaria twice and Italy once, and on all occassions, defenders made basic mistakes and conceded goals, which you couldn't blame the manager for.

He's been unlucky in that Steve Finnan has been out with injury, Damian Duff also, Caleb Folan as well and Stephen Reid. He didn't have Roy Keane to select or a Lee Carsley in his prime like earlier managers.

And yet despite having a fraction of the resources available to Stan and Kerr, and a lot less luck when it comes to selection, he has done many times better than them with a team of average players.

Several people have said and truthfully, with a bit of luck we could have won the group. I think most people would go along with that and I don't buy this myth that Trap is a lucky manager at all. We matched the Italians at home and away and the Bulgarians, and we should have beaten the Bulgarians.

Stuttgart88
08/11/2009, 3:17 PM
Agree totally with regard to luck and how our luck was reported during the campaign. In some peoples' minds having a lot of your best players injured or barking mad, drawing the strongest 6th seeded team in Europe, having good goals disallowed or stonewall penalties ignored don't count as bad luck whereas the undoubted good luck we've had on occasion seems to be magnified beyond proportion.

A face
08/11/2009, 9:33 PM
There is an agenda, in a horribly british style, to destroy our managers in recent years. It's been growing and growing and the nonsensical S Ireland, S Reid, A Reid and S Finnan debates and rants are manna to the media. And it'll continue so long as "fans" buy the sky hype and lord o'reilly's need for profit.

I dunno is there an agenda, it would be really scary if there actually was because the credibility of all print media would sure have to be questioned if there was but i'd definitely agree with the sentiment and for me its been completely boring in its repetitiveness and frequency. And its being rammed down our throats from practically every paper you pick up (can you name a paper that hasn't taken that angle) and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out either.

And i'm right, all the arguments to disagree with it have not been convincing. You'd even be wondering why all the journos reading this haven't chipped in in their defence, or maybe its a home truth and there is no argument to it.

donalmcdonagh
08/11/2009, 10:24 PM
Firstly I apolagise for reading the Sun World, but this Curtis guy keeps catching me unawares. Once again I dropped around to the shop this mornin (hungover) to grab a paper to read over breaky and I picked up the Sun World without thinking. Curtis's article in the 8 page pullout was pure tripe. The most negative, uninformed rubbish I have ever read, I think he does his research by reading the Sun or someother rag. He was still going on about traps comments on S reid and how domenech called us England B team, which as we all know know was a missinterpretation. He also went on to confirm we WOULD be beaten on saturday and Trap was rubbish and how any other manager could get S Ireland back and off course reid, reid reid bla bla bla.

Absolute horse sh!t in my opinion. The most negative, 2nd hand, incorrect, child like and rubccish article I have ever read.
I would love to meet this guy in the street, his knowledge and writing style is rotten.

I presume my opinion is shared by most of you. I promise never to buy this rag again.
My worry is that some people/fans read this and actually believe the tripe, its so wrong to publish this sh!t in so many ways.

To finish, who do people hold in high regard....what papers? what writers?

Junior
09/11/2009, 9:00 AM
Also do we have any journalists who post on here? or are they undercover.......

tetsujin1979
09/11/2009, 9:55 AM
there's a thread about quotes from foot.ie being used in print alright, so some journalists do read the forum

thischarmingman
09/11/2009, 12:18 PM
I picked up the Sun World without thinking.

Naturally.

Murfinator
09/11/2009, 1:49 PM
Independent has always had good writers, no sensationalism to be had just writers expressing their opinion on situations. You might not always agree with everything they have to say but they won't dress up their opinion or spout rubbish. And I've never seen the point of reading viewpoints that are identical to your own, always nice to see contrasting views.

Den Perry
09/11/2009, 2:11 PM
Firstly I apolagise for reading the Sun World, but this Curtis guy keeps catching me unawares. Once again I dropped around to the shop this mornin (hungover) to grab a paper to read over breaky and I picked up the Sun World without thinking. Curtis's article in the 8 page pullout was pure tripe. The most negative, uninformed rubbish I have ever read, I think he does his research by reading the Sun or someother rag. He was still going on about traps comments on S reid and how domenech called us England B team, which as we all know know was a missinterpretation. He also went on to confirm we WOULD be beaten on saturday and Trap was rubbish and how any other manager could get S Ireland back and off course reid, reid reid bla bla bla.

Absolute horse sh!t in my opinion. The most negative, 2nd hand, incorrect, child like and rubccish article I have ever read.
I would love to meet this guy in the street, his knowledge and writing style is rotten.

I presume my opinion is shared by most of you. I promise never to buy this rag again.
My worry is that some people/fans read this and actually believe the tripe, its so wrong to publish this sh!t in so many ways.

I couldn't agree more. Curtis' style of writing is disgraceful. I've posted my view on him many times before - in fact I may have started a thread about the fool.That said, I read the SW every few months when just to read the childish rubbish that he writes.

I don't really have a fav journalist.In fact,I very rarely read the sports part on the daily papers because there is no "new" news from what's on the telly / radio the night before.

Fanning can be interesting, but I can't help feeling is a little smug. I like Rod Liddle and Norcroft in the Sunday Times, but they don't write much about the Irish team

I

lopez
10/11/2009, 7:22 PM

I read this too and thought: What b*ll*cks. I think this C*ntis bloke is trying to be the new Dunf.