PDA

View Full Version : Citys Target..

RedX
26/02/2004, 5:28 PM
I was talking to someone recently who told me that Citys long term ambition is to get there own Stadium.With news of cancelations of pre-season friendlies at the X on the Echo tonight the club really needs its own ground.Possible move to Bishopstown could eventually be back on the cards.The potential out there is huge and could be perfect for the club.I know we all love Turners X but we need to get our own ground.I am sure many fans would moan and groan but all it is,is a bus ride away to Bishopstown.Some of the biggest clubs in World football have moved from there grounds so i am sure it would not be the end of the world to move from the X.We have good people running the club now so it would be fantastic to have a new ground that belongs to Cork City FC(and us fans of course)...

Seanie
26/02/2004, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by RedX
I was talking to someone recently who told me that Citys long term ambition is to get there own Stadium.With news of cancelations of pre-season friendlies at the X on the Echo tonight the club really needs its own ground.Possible move to Bishopstown could eventually be back on the cards.The potential out there is huge and could be perfect for the club.I know we all love Turners X but we need to get our own ground.I am sure many fans would moan and groan but all it is,is a bus ride away to Bishopstown.Some of the biggest clubs in World football have moved from there grounds so i am sure it would not be the end of the world to move from the X.We have good people running the club now so it would be fantastic to have a new ground that belongs to Cork City FC(and us fans of course)...

What planet are you on? Any such move would be disastrous and history is there to prove it. The MFA may own the Cross, but it is the home of CCFC in a way that Bishopstown never was. Yes there are good people running the club at the moment - a further reason why we wont be moving.

thecorner
26/02/2004, 6:19 PM
wouldnt reckon there is much truth in this story about the mfa

cork city would have a big say in what happens out in turners cross.

after all,they are spending a lot of money out there and dont think the mfa would be stupid enough to cut off the hand that feeds them

patsh
26/02/2004, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by thecorner

cork city would have a big say in what happens out in turners cross.
after all,they are spending a lot of money out there and dont think the mfa would be stupid enough to cut off the hand that feeds them
Well, if the Echo report is true the MFA ARE biting off the hand that feeds them.....:(
Bad form.....:rolleyes:

GavinZac
26/02/2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by patsh
Well, if the Echo report is true ....:

;)

A face
26/02/2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by patsh
Well, if the Echo report is true the MFA ARE biting off the hand that feeds them.....:(
Bad form.....:rolleyes:

The Echo recently said that City were going ot Portugal to get some pre season training in !?!?! ..... I would most definitely read between the lines there lads.

The MFA are/were re sodding the cross .... dunno if it is finished or if they are waiting or whatever. But if that is the case, then the MFA cannot be at fault ... they have to maintain it ... better now than in the middle of the season.

Bishopstown is now more ... next year the whole thing is being knocked ..... the FAI have sold it and it will be a sports centre/campus for CIT.

If City ever move ..... they would have to do it properly .... if not then dont bother.

The cross being the home of CCFC .... man where are YOU ... It is not like it take 4 hours to comute accross the City. If a new stadium have good facilities and was easy to get to, parking, bar, hot food. Everything catered for ... people would forget the cross ever existed.

If reckon it is a case of whoever progresses faster ... City or the Cross. The MFA could very well lose out if they were not to play their cards properly all the time. Upsetting the apple cart too many times could be the shove that previously was a bit of a push.

razor
27/02/2004, 7:33 AM
Don't mind Bishopstown, any good locations on the Northside ?

Neil
27/02/2004, 8:07 AM
Originally posted by razor
Don't mind Bishopstown, any good locations on the Northside ?
I'd agree. Bishopstown is a dose of a place for a stadium. Too far out, locals have no interest.
Dunno about the northside either though.
It has to be somewhere central if we move.

liamon
27/02/2004, 8:35 AM
"somewhere central" would cost a fortune.
Out on the edge would be a much cheaper place to buy a site.

Good an all as the X is, parking is a nightmare around there. Esp if there is a rugby match on as well. and it's very much limitied by it's size, so I'm not sure how much expansion can be accomodated - bar, car park, decent club shop, Lennoxs chipper, etc.

SÓC
27/02/2004, 9:33 AM
There are loads of places central that are dumps and shítholes at the moment that you could get cheap. The railway docks in Tivoli. Anywhere in the general docks area etc. Not only would it be central, there would be grants going becuase they are looking to regenerate that part of town.

An option I always think is worth considering is UCC. The Maradyke is a great place for a stadium if they ever bothered to develop one. UCC and Blue Deamons have teamed up together in basketball so why cant it happen in football. City and UCC could be a really mutually beneficial situation. UCC take over/merge with our U-21 squad. They would be able to offer scollarships to the best of the players from our youth squads etc. They would have access to the most successful U-21 squad in the country which would benefit their own teams etc. We could temp players the way UCD do with scollarships etc. Football has always been played there so its not like its anything new. I think one of Hibs/Celtic played at some time. Cork Ath. did too.

pete
27/02/2004, 11:26 AM
I think City have a way to go before outgrowing the Cross.

The Docks or Marina ain't bad ideas but don't think City can realistically go it alone in the short to medium term anyway.

With the FAI/IRFU committed to the long term share of Lansdowne i'll again suggest CCFC & the Munster Rugby chip in together be that at Musgrave Park or not. I think I heard something about Musgrave Park about to be redeveloped? Hows about 12-15k all-seater that could be used all year round? Rubgy wouldn't ever be able to pay for that on their own...

Peadar
27/02/2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by A face
The Echo recently said that City were going ot Portugal to get some pre season training in

They were probably talking about Kearney and Doyle :D

A face
27/02/2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
They were probably talking about Kearney and Doyle :D

They should have said it though .... Joe public wouldn't have a clue were Kearney and Doyle were .... They were probably trying to mislead .... but it amounted to lying about it.

It is not the first time either !!

Troy.McClure
27/02/2004, 1:39 PM
Originally posted by pete
With the FAI/IRFU committed to the long term share of Lansdowne i'll again suggest CCFC & the Munster Rugby chip in together be that at Musgrave Park or not. I think I heard something about Musgrave Park about to be redeveloped? Hows about 12-15k all-seater that could be used all year round? Rubgy wouldn't ever be able to pay for that on their own...

Ya, but Dolphin, the Well, sometimes Munster and the odd school game are played at Musgrave. To put in a football team in on top of that would mangle the pitch (even worse than it is).

To be honest, its not like people get turned away from the X each week, theres always spare seats (even if its only a few for the bigger matches). With the Shed being redone, I think that we'll have a grand ground that wont need much work done in the future.

Saying that though, SOC's idea aint half bad

ccfc till i die
27/02/2004, 1:52 PM
I don't think the idea of moving from the cross is to do with extended capacity within the ground, but to do with getting enough space to build a bar, chipper etc.

A face
27/02/2004, 2:28 PM
Originally posted by ccfc till i die
I don't think the idea of moving from the cross is to do with extended capacity within the ground, but to do with getting enough space to build a bar, chipper etc.

Yeah ... definitely .... That goes without saying. If it were a new grounds then it should be a given that there would be a bar that City run themselves and hopefully gym, function/conference room etc.

yur man
27/02/2004, 4:22 PM
thats why i tink the suggestion earlier about the docklands redevelopment would be the right place. its central location to the expandin city would be ideal for any facilities they would build

decent pub/club, car park, conference centre?, car park etc. and a stadium which was designed for 10,000 to begin with and havin room for easy expansion, should it be needed