PDA

View Full Version : Same old...Same old

A face
26/02/2004, 4:51 PM
Same old...Same old

Same old…Same old. Another season, another problem. Is it not about time that the powers that be in the national arena address some of the fundamental problems with the league.
The week ending the 21st of March will herald the kick off of a new eircom league season, but not for the first time, the national league is looking into a new season with a dark cloud hanging over proceedings.

Read more at www.a2zsoccer.com (http://www.a2zsoccer.com/news/content_generic.cfm?file=1303751)

IrelandUnited
02/03/2004, 8:12 PM
It's been like this forever and will always be so. As Hyland says in today's Herald as long as the English league is there the notion of 10,000 seater stadia full of loyal punters here is a fantasy.

The only serious way forward and the only thing with a cat in hell's chance of getting public interest is as a Conference style feeder for the English system with a place in the English league pyramid for each years winners. but that would see us lose the national team in all probability so it will never change, The vast majority of the Irish sporting public see no space for a domestic top level league.

Some of the lads on here have a go at me calling me England united and suchlike but really it's evident.

The national team, the Premiership, Celtic, the National rugby team, the heineken cup, the GAA championships and the horses take up the public interest and anything outside that - rugby's AIL, the EL etc. - is not going to get a following. That, gentlemen is the country we live in like it or not.

dancinpants
02/03/2004, 8:50 PM
Ireland United if the eL is such a joke and you dont see the point of its existance....stay the f*ck out of an eLforum.Nobody gives a f*ck about your sh*te ideas about a "conference style feeder league"....ya tit.

TommyT
03/03/2004, 1:03 AM
Originally posted by IrelandUnited

The only serious way forward and the only thing with a cat in hell's chance of getting public interest is as a Conference style feeder for the English system with a place in the English league pyramid for each years winners. but that would see us lose the national team in all probability so it will never change, The vast majority of the Irish sporting public see no space for a domestic top level league.

I agree, provided it was a Europe wide relaxation of the rules and not us becoming a tail to the English dog. Would still prefer a cELTIC lEAGUE IN THOSE CIRCUMSTANCES THOUGH

tiktok
03/03/2004, 10:30 AM
There were stadia filled with loyal punters in the past, and the only things that have really changed is that the national side does not contain EL players, although more importantly, the money in foreign leagues, and the interest generated in them by our TV stations and 'Irish' papers, more content to buy an article form the Times of London than to hire a writer to attend an EL game (I'm talking about you the sunday tribune) is creating a generation of sports fans, few of whom will ever see the inside of a football stadium.

I'm also sick of people jumping to the conclusion that the only way to 'save' the EL is to form an All-Ireland, Celtic or Feeder league. How about we start treating the thing like a business (which UEFA licensing will help with) and try and market the thing properly.

This site is a prime example of a collection of confessed hard-core fans who will complain and complain about the state of the league, but the numbers who actually write to the media and complain or bug their ministers seems to be at best up to ten or fifteen.

A good few are involved in clubs and have great insights, but why not help ourselves before we sell our league to the highest bidder?