PDA

View Full Version : Rovers 3-1 Drogs - never in doubt

Pages : [1] 2

Well Red
31/10/2009, 11:32 AM
Taking into account everything that has happened last night and with us having a full team I can see us winning by two to three nil. We are not going to depend on anyone else doing us a favour and certainly not at Tallagh.

Rovers1
31/10/2009, 12:52 PM
This is a HUGE game. Drogheda, along with us are the most improved side in the league. They're very well organised, plus they know they're in the play-offs so pressure is off them really. At least it's in our hands with our GD over Pat's, but i hope to christ Cookie won't be relying on other results like last night, because i can see Pat's beating Shams.

srfc1928
31/10/2009, 2:20 PM
Think I'll give this one a miss, wanna save me money for the cup final.
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb243/pmunny_bucket/sarcdet.gif

SligoBrewer
31/10/2009, 2:41 PM
I think barring a miracle I'll be stuck in Dublin for this one.

So do I go to Shams Vs Pats? I dunno could I bear to watch the Pats fans celebrate if they stay up and we're in the play-offs.

avvenalaf
31/10/2009, 4:57 PM
This is a HUGE game. Drogheda, along with us are the most improved side in the league. They're very well organised, plus they know they're in the play-offs so pressure is off them really. At least it's in our hands with our GD over Pat's, but i hope to christ Cookie won't be relying on other results like last night, because i can see Pat's beating Shams.

Drogheda are second bottom in the league because they are the second worst team in the league and Shams will beat Pat's out the gate. Cork have to beat Galway to clinch eiro football so I think Cookie should go with Mary Mc and Rory H up front.

SligoBrewer
31/10/2009, 6:01 PM
Drogheda are second bottom in the league because they are the second worst team in the league and Shams will beat Pat's out the gate. Cork have to beat Galway to clinch eiro football so I think Cookie should go with Mary Mc and Rory H up front.

Shams to field a weakened side?

avvenalaf
31/10/2009, 9:38 PM
How can you field a weaker side than one that can't beat Galway United at home?:)

Rovers Maniac
31/10/2009, 9:53 PM
How can you field a weaker side than one that can't beat Galway United at home?:)

:D Very good made me laugh avven

Redie
03/11/2009, 8:51 AM
Drogheda should be without their top scorer who was sent off against Pats.

ndrog
03/11/2009, 9:07 AM
Drogheda untied wont be trying to hard to win this if you ask me .We dont want you in the playoffs so a draw would be a good result for us ( i think ) .We want galway in the play off .Wehave a good track record against them in these games ;)

d rovers
03/11/2009, 9:20 AM
Drogheda untied wont be trying to hard to win this if you ask me .We dont want you in the playoffs so a draw would be a good result for us ( i think ) .We want galway in the play off .Wehave a good track record against them in these games ;)

i hope you are right & drogheda conserve their energy for the play offs! i think it will be a nervy night & it'll be interesting to see if shams put out a full strength team vs pats. at least it is in our own hands.

CF1989
03/11/2009, 10:38 AM
wouldnt have any problems with shamrock putting out a 2nd string side. its our problem we're still playing for survival on the last day. hopefully drogheda rest a few ahead of the midweek playoff. we should beat them, wont be by much though, probably will be something like the bray game the other week.

should have a big crowd there if tickets are going to be on sale or anything on the night for the final

redtildead
03/11/2009, 12:19 PM
jim is my dad

CF1989
03/11/2009, 12:22 PM
jim is my dad

mistake letting rovers fan at your computer ;)

Rovers1
03/11/2009, 12:23 PM
RF, whats the craic with the Krusty crest?

CF1989
03/11/2009, 12:37 PM
Dunno someone had me password and changed it. Gotta go, summer bay's on.

ruuuuuuuubbbbbbby

avvenalaf
03/11/2009, 1:49 PM

Thay's the way I see it too. Regardless of the result on Friday night, Drogheda will be playing a more important match on Monday night so why burn out trying to beat Sligo when all you might be doing is dragging the best team of the three into the equation.

SligoBrewer
03/11/2009, 7:13 PM
The nerves are kicking in now for this game.

This is more important than the game versus Bray was last year and the Vlazznia game combined. A win would be the sweetest thing going.

sligofan4ever
03/11/2009, 7:21 PM
Drogs probably wont be too pushed on this, wouldn't there players to risk injury,suspensions or too be just plain knackered for the play offs. I can see us winning this by atleast 2 goals. Hopefully we'll be kept up to date with other scores like at Bay last year, knowing Cork were 3-0 down at half time REALLY kept the crowd alive and kept the atmosphere electric that night! How I hope we see something like this on Friday night come Full Time!

Galway United 0-2 Cork City
St. Pats 1-3 Shamrock Rovers
Sligo Rovers 2-0 Drogheda United

Rovers Maniac
05/11/2009, 4:22 PM
Jeez nobody talking about this game, jeez we have to pout this to bed at the first attempt. It will be interesting if Drogs rest but it should nto matter we need the 3 points. Have we a full team for this?

MMVIII
05/11/2009, 4:42 PM
Awful nervous for this, probably the most nervous I've been all season. Not excitement, nervousness :o

Really think we can do it. The thoughts of the playoffs scare me. Hopefully there ll be a good crowd.

Rovers Maniac
05/11/2009, 5:00 PM
They have a Chambers out for them while we have Meenan suspended.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
05/11/2009, 6:40 PM
Chambers is their top scorer I think

dublinred
05/11/2009, 6:55 PM
Thay's the way I see it too. Regardless of the result on Friday night, Drogheda will be playing a more important match on Monday night so why burn out trying to beat Sligo when all you might be doing is dragging the best team of the three into the equation.

Don't buy the Drogheda won't be trying line we need to sort this out early then take a few players off if we have a good lead , we lost to a bunch of Albanians who were supposedly trying to throw the match.

Well Red
05/11/2009, 9:28 PM
Sorry bit out of touch for the last few days but would I be right in thinking if Galway lose and we draw it does not matter what happens in the St Pats game as we would end up level with Galway on 41 pts but we have much better goal average. That would mean either Galway or Pats would be in the playoff and we would be safe. Please tell me I am right

red arrow
05/11/2009, 9:37 PM
correct . well read. but we must go into game tomorrow night to win.

red metal
05/11/2009, 9:45 PM
Perfect scenario for tomorrow night Rovers win! Pats beat Shams.Galway beaten by Cork!

SligoBrewer
05/11/2009, 9:46 PM
Perfect scenario for tomorrow night Rovers win! Pats beat Shams.Galway beaten by Cork!

Nah, I'd love Shams to beat Pats. Otherwise I'd be out of my wits tomorrow night in Syringicore.

Well Red
05/11/2009, 10:04 PM
correct . well read. but we must go into game tomorrow night to win.
Thanks Red Arrow for confirmation and I could not agree with you more we need to go for a win and I think we will finish on a high note. Lets really get behind the boys tomorrow night and the few pints will go down a treat tomorrow night. Cannot wait for it believe we are going to have a very big gate with huge crowd coming for cup final tickets

dublinred
06/11/2009, 8:30 PM
3 1 up job well done, many there?

sligofan4ever
06/11/2009, 9:57 PM
3 1 up job well done, many there?

About 3000 or so were there, easily our best home league attendance of the season. We really rode our luck in the second half but atleast we can go to Tallaght knowing we will stay another year in the premier league now :).

RoversInn
06/11/2009, 10:09 PM

If you just changed Galway to draw!

rovers100%
06/11/2009, 10:17 PM
we done what was needed and no more. after a great start we took the foot of the pedal but i think drogs could always be beat without getting outta 2nd gear. great to see blinky score again he done excellent too get his foot to the ball. i was amazed to see ventre got forza fans player of the year........... he was prob most improved but as for poty i cant see why his was chose but thats the forza lads decision and well done for to ventre all the same. good crowd but i actually thought there would be far more. if we can sell 6k+ for final and 4500 for semi how come 3000 at most and i think it was nearer 2500 for tonights game all that turned up.and it a relegation decider game. sickens me even more considering the hard core support turns up as usual and some couldnt get covered stand seats. the weather may have been a factor. nice to see the team come back out at the end and show their appreciation. now bring on the fengal and lets take thye trophy home. on another note if derry relegated for financial reasons we would be 1 point off a european spot !!! what a shambles of a league

SligoBrewer
06/11/2009, 10:22 PM
derry relegated for financial reasons we would be 1 point off a european spot !!! what a shambles of a league

3 spots for Europe this year with the cup winners being outside the top 4 actually.

/sligoman

SligoBrewer
06/11/2009, 10:23 PM
No way was there 3000 btw, and many didn't have to pay in either:( Those queing up for tickets for the cup final were let in the gate without paying for todays game, and were told to come back out after they had gotten their tickets for the final:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

showgies
06/11/2009, 10:31 PM
No way was there 3000 btw, and many didn't have to pay in either:( Those queing up for tickets for the cup final were let in the gate without paying for todays game, and were told to come back out after they had gotten their tickets for the final:rolleyes:

"TICKETGATE" just gets better.....rolleyes doesn't do this one justice

sligofan4ever
06/11/2009, 10:54 PM
For does of you who got the programme tonight, look at the Drogheda United team and you'll notice they have a Joe Flanagan. A distant relative of Jim's perhaps :confused::D

dong
06/11/2009, 11:46 PM
Gotta say well done to Cook all in all this season. I was critical of him for his team selection against Bohs but he made the right call I must admit now. Was touch and go for a minute there tonight it must be said and he was taking a bit of stick at that point from a few bell ends. Thats why he's the manager though and I'm here typing sh1te on foot.ie.:p

Whether we win the cup now or not he has performed pretty well. We looked doomed around July. After the way Dundalk turned us over 4-3 at the showgrounds I honestly thought we would never avoid the playoffs.

Blinkhorn was a savage signing. Allowed us to play a more direct game and in this league it can be hard to win playing pretty football. Things started to come together for us after he arrived and we haven't looked back since really. Of course Peers returning to fitness was massive too.

Roll on the cup final. We can really enjoy it now without the spectre of division one football hanging over us. Apologies to KevinL for having a whine yesterday on the tickets issue. Still think the whole thing was badly handled from the off from the FAI and from our end maybe things could have been done better. Got sorted tonight with an uncovered ticket and I am happy out. Hopefully everyone will who really wants and deserves one.

Brian Boru
06/11/2009, 11:55 PM
I agree Dong. Cook and the team did remarkably well to finish 6th. Magnificent. I cannot wait for the final now. The atmosphere will be great. If we win the promise of Europa league football will keep us financially sound to keep this great team together.

red bellied
07/11/2009, 9:04 AM
Crowd was under 2,500. 1,800 main stand and 600 more around the ground.

Rovers Maniac
07/11/2009, 9:10 AM
I thought it was a funny game, horrible night lads got the 3 points and thats all that mattered. There was damm all edge to the game at times, it must have been the Derry news. Anyway we are safe so roll on the cup final !

rovers100%
07/11/2009, 11:41 AM
where is inside man now......................................:rolleyes :

sligofan4ever
07/11/2009, 12:15 PM

I was just thinking that. The last we seen of him must stretch back as far as our 2-2 draw with Bray in mid August (coincidentally, when our run of just 2 defeats in 18 or so games began :rolleyes:) It goes to show his type only turn up when we go on a bad run, cant wait for his next predicition for the 2010 season, I must admit, there was a time in the season where I feared he was right, but look what a couple of new signings has done to us!

We can only build on this, if we can hold on to the likes of Cretaro,Blinkhorn,Peers,Boco,Keane,Brush,Doyle,Mor rison,Cash,Ventre,O' Grady, well the majority of the team anyways and bring in a couple of players (decent back up for strikers, Turner is our only back up for Raf and Blinkhorn) and some decent cover for Centre midfield (Ryan dosent make a decent impact on the game when he comes on, Ciaran Martyn on a free maybe ?) and some decent defensive cover aswell. We are lucky to be one of the few financially healthy teams in this league and I can see alot of our better players staying because of this, altough our main worry will be Cretaro if he joins Shams, tough decision for him, leave a club where hes adored, or go to somewhere new that, altough offers a better chance of winning the league, he will not be as respected there ashe is here. Lets hope he makes the right choice :).

MMVIII
07/11/2009, 2:13 PM
Boco will be gone next season. Waved by to us in the Jinks.

avvenalaf
07/11/2009, 2:14 PM
Told last night that Raf is going training with Motherwell (Jim Gannon). In any event, he definitely won't be with us next season.

Rovers Maniac
07/11/2009, 2:22 PM
Told last night that Raf is going training with Motherwell (Jim Gannon). In any event, he definitely won't be with us next season.

Very interesting that, Gannon was meant to be at our games v Pats a few weeks back. If Cretaro is to go i hope it's with a cup winners medal in his pocket and not to another club in the league.

MMVIII
07/11/2009, 2:26 PM
Very interesting that, Gannon was meant to be at our games v Pats a few weeks back. If Cretaro is to go i hope it's with a cup winners medal in his pocket and not to another club in the league.

Yeah, has been a very faithful player to us. And not to mention, hugely important this year. Only criticism I have of him, is he seems to have gotten a big head lately. Gives out to other players a lot.

But in saying that, does far more great things than bad. Just hope he doesn't go to another LOI club. Huge side step IMO.

Good luck to him wherever he does go. Brilliant player ," eh ya know" ;)

sligo23
07/11/2009, 2:30 PM

:(
and so it begins...

sligofan4ever
07/11/2009, 2:38 PM

Inside Man's last known post: http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1222232&postcount=17

Read the thread title aswell ;)

srfc1928
07/11/2009, 3:47 PM
The Derry lads were pretty confident he was going there for next season.
Must be going there so.