PDA

View Full Version : Kerley disappointed with duo’s departure

A face
26/02/2004, 4:44 PM
Kerley disappointed with duo’s departure

Limerick FC manager Mike Kerley has expressed his disappointment after two more of his squad’s key players, Derek McCarthy and Brendan Hughes, opted to quit the club ahead of the new season, the pair both deciding on a move to First Division rivals Galway United earlier this week.

The departure of that duo follows on from the exits of Stephen O’Flynn and Brendan Sweeney to Cork City, Ciaran Foley to Sligo Rovers and the news that Eoin Keating has pledged his commitment to the Limerick gaelic footballers this year.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/first/story.asp?newsid=10057)

4tothefloor
26/02/2004, 7:18 PM
You can add Colm Heffernan (Sligo Rovers), Shane O'Donoghue (gone to Oz) and Graham Loughman to that list of departures, with possibly more to come :rolleyes:

gspain
27/02/2004, 1:05 PM
Sad to see the breakup of a really great team but hard to blame the players for leaving.

The key thing is that we must be playing LoI football this season and into the future. I could live with a poor side for a couple of years if we got the structures right and built a foundation for senior football in the city.

I really hope Rovers survive too. Despite all the rivalry over the years it is unthinkable to have a league without them. Lets hope we'll be playing them soon too.

sadloserkid
27/02/2004, 1:16 PM
Originally posted by gspain
Lets hope we'll be playing them soon too.

In the Premier and not the First! ;)

LFC in Exile
27/02/2004, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by gspain
I could live with a poor side for a couple of years if we got the structures right and built a foundation for senior football in the city.

I agree if those two things are mutually exclusive - I don't know if they are. Why let an excellent team that is already in place break up? Having a good team should help in sorting things out off-field e.g. generating interest and revenue.

Also, I don't think the current committee are capable of getting the structures right and building a foundation for the future. If anything they have presided over a dramatic disimprovement in off-field structures. As a fan, I have no confidence in this committee and I feel many other fans don't have confidence in them. They should review their positions and allow people with new energy and ideas to step in.

deise deserter
27/02/2004, 5:12 PM
Michael O Sullivan places such importance on Limerick FC that he is leaving the country this morning for a two week stint in Boston.

Read into what you will...

4tothefloor
27/02/2004, 5:20 PM
Says it all really. Has there been any progress since the meeting Deise?

deise deserter
27/02/2004, 5:26 PM
Ralph McMahon refuses to meet in Michael O Sullivan's absense.

John Purcell has said he will meet with us at any stage. I know I have had disagreements with the guy, but he seems to have been honest with us to date, and is the only one with the FAI today while the appeal is being heard.

4tothefloor
27/02/2004, 5:55 PM
Can't see us getting that license. The only thing that will save Limerick is if Rovers are in the same boat next week. If so the league probably won't start on schedule. If Rovers get the license though, they league will not hold up the start of the season because of us, we'll probably get the boot. Our chairman won't be around to take the flak by then - very convenient little trip, isn't it?

sadloserkid
28/02/2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by 4tothefloor
Our chairman won't be around to take the flak by then - very convenient little trip, isn't it?

Well for me it has echoes of a previous chairman who disppeared to Yankland when things were getting tough. No need for names though. :)