PDA

View Full Version : Trap excludes Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Finnan and Morrison for play-off squad.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Murfinator
30/10/2009, 2:18 PM
But it's ok guys, Stokes is in.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1030/ireland.html

Goalkeepers
Shay Given
Keiren Westwood
Joe Murphy

Defenders
John O'Shea
Richard Dunne
Stephen Kelly
Kevin Kilbane
Eddie Nolan
Sean St. Ledger
Paul McShane
Darren O’Dea

Midfielders
Aiden McGeady
Damien Duff
Darron Gibson
Glenn Whelan
Keith Andrews
Liam Miller
Stephen Hunt
Andy Keogh
Liam Lawrence

Forwards
Kevin Doyle
Robbie Keane
Shane Long
Leon Best
Anthony Stokes

magnumpi
30/10/2009, 2:20 PM
can't believe this.

i think it's because he would be under too much pressure to play Reid.

very annoying. Stokes ahead of Clinto? pointless.

Closed Account
30/10/2009, 2:20 PM
Well done Murfinator, you summed up the next 4 pages in two lines.

richieos
30/10/2009, 2:21 PM
i cant believe this. he has included steven reid and finnan when they were less fit before, and now that theyre approaching fitness he leaves them out. :confused:

Junior
30/10/2009, 2:21 PM
Wonder why they didnt list the full squad in that report. Wouldnt have been that difficult to complete the job? Who else is in or is it just Stokes for N Hunt and the rest as was.........ermmm..

centre mid
30/10/2009, 2:22 PM
I just hope he hasnt left out S Reid to wind up Allerdyce.

shakermaker1982
30/10/2009, 2:23 PM
I wish this was a joke.

Stokes? Steven Reid had a slim chance but Finnan is back playing regular football.

paul_oshea
30/10/2009, 2:23 PM
Its just to get a quick report in and its what was on most peoples minds junior, it will be updated.

cant beleive finnan wasn't included to be honest...

irishultra
30/10/2009, 2:24 PM
Stokes, McGeady and Liam Miller, at this rate we'll be selecting a SPL Irish select:mad:

paul_oshea
Trap out!

centre mid
and there are at least two weeks before the game, you would expect Reid to be back in the Blackburn 11 by then, Finnan should have another few games under his belt also.

Murfinator
30/10/2009, 2:25 PM
I think we all expected Andy and Clint to be left out again, a lot of us suspected Finnan wouldn't be called upon at this late stage either.

But to leave out a fit again Steven Reid after an unfit Steven Reid was called up previously and the man himself has said he's fit and available for selection....baffling.

I'm worried now that Trap feels that some sort of rift developed between them now. Unless of course Steven had another injury set back recently or something, but I'd really like an explanation on this.

Closed Account
30/10/2009, 2:25 PM
But before this gets out of hand, this is a statement from Trapattoni that he thinks the players who got him this far are good enough to make the next step.

I've no problems with the omissions. I don't think Reid will be fit, I don't think Finnan is good enough anymore, I don't think Morrison offers anything different to Doyle/Best and since both are in the squad, why call him up. And well Andy Reid........

amaccann
30/10/2009, 2:26 PM
I hate to say it lads, but Stephen Reid was NOT fit enough for the play off games & certainly wasn't going to get any fitter / more match practise in the next 2 weeks.

remember, it was playing him when he wasn't 100% - against Montenegro (open to correction) - that knackered him in the first place.

irishultra
30/10/2009, 2:29 PM
I agree in that respect, smart move by Trap. S.Reid needs to be extremely slowly introduced back into action. We'd all love him playing against France in these games with the personality he has to get on the ball and pass it which the other players Trap picks don't seem to be able to do but theres a bigger picture to look at.

Leeside Swagger
30/10/2009, 2:32 PM
I can understand his reasoning over S. Reid, Finnan would have been handy to have in the squad at least.

Murfinator
30/10/2009, 2:37 PM
Just seen Trap on SSN. A very animated trap. He said all those players are in his mind but it's not the time to change the team now, he'll look at them all after the playoffs.

He doesn't think Steven Reid or Finnan have enough match fitness.

Also seems to be some sort of delay in the team sheet. it's not on rte, the fai website and sky don't have it either.

Closed Account
30/10/2009, 2:38 PM
Republic of Ireland Squad v France

Goalkeepers
Shay Given
Keiren Westwood
Joe Murphy

Defenders
John O'Shea
Richard Dunne
Stephen Kelly
Kevin Kilbane
Eddie Nolan
Sean St. Ledger
Paul McShane
Darren O’Dea

Midfielders
Aiden McGeady
Damien Duff
Darron Gibson
Glenn Whelan
Keith Andrews
Liam Miller
Stephen Hunt
Andy Keogh
Liam Lawrence

Forwards
Kevin Doyle
Robbie Keane
Shane Long
Leon Best
Anthony Stokes
Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/eymhcwmheyey/#ixzz0VQyJsoDV

magnumpi
30/10/2009, 2:41 PM
Trap out!

thanks. this made me laugh, after being initially very annoyed at steve's exclusion.

citizenerased
30/10/2009, 2:44 PM
what a joke, stokes scores a goal against the worst rangers team in decades and gets in...no finnan is the biggest shock, he has about 6 games under his belt now

M@ttitude
30/10/2009, 2:45 PM
Whats all the fuss about? Trap Out, Paul? Lads, as said above S.Reid is injured and we need our midfielders willing to make crushing tackles, and Stokes will prob get two hat tricks for Hibs before the playoff to shut us all up! Finnan hasn't played for us in too long to include him now and he's the only exclusion im surprised at.. And Andy Reid... Lets talk about him on the 19th of November!

Lets see if the 'system' can get us to the world cup and have a bit of trust in Trap for now.

jebus
30/10/2009, 2:46 PM
Jesus Christ is all I can say

I've been calling for Clinton to be included all campaign long, to put Stokes in ahead of him is nonsense

Andy Reid is no surprise but what the hell is Liam Miller doing in there ahead of Steven Reid :confused:

seanfhear
Not too surprised by Stephen Reids abscence (doubt if he he match fit for a match of this importance) but

I though Finnan would be in.

Perhaps Trap has decided to let the team/squad that got (mostly got) us to this stage fight the last two battles.

rambler14
Anthony Stokes is the most over-rated joke that has ever come out of Ireland...........TRAP OUT!

Get the finger out ya stupid Italian b0llocks that squad isn't good enough and you know it.:mad:

paul_oshea
thanks. this made me laugh, after being initially very annoyed at steve's exclusion.

I think we all need a laugh after the last couple of days...

Its a message of intent from trap in fairness. I think he knows himself that bringing reid in kinda says to the other lads, well ye have done a job but this is who we really want even if he isn't played. This way the lads confidence is increased and their self-belief that we can beat the french as trap sees it. The line "We were undefeated in all 10 games and this is a reflection of how we have played and also the mental strength of this team. " Anyway lets just hope now his belief is solidified come the 19th of november.

I like the headline :"No Reid in Trapp squad" :D

paul_oshea
30/10/2009, 2:48 PM
Whats all the fuss about? Trap Out, Paul? Lads, as said above S.Reid is injured and we need our midfielders willing to make crushing tackles, and Stokes will prob get two hat tricks for Hibs before the playoff to shut us all up! Finnan hasn't played for us in too long to include him now and he's the only exclusion im surprised at.. And Andy Reid... Lets talk about him on the 19th of November!

Lets see if the 'system' can get us to the world cup and have a bit of trust in Trap for now.

M@ttitude, read a few more of my posts ;)

M@ttitude
30/10/2009, 2:56 PM
M@ttitude, read a few more of my posts ;)
I know, ha, I just got two texts at the same time from my bros saying Trap out too! Easily wound up!

back of the net
30/10/2009, 2:59 PM
I think stokes is technically a very good player - just seems to be little bit lacking in the head.

But i would have liked morrison in the squad, also would have had stephen reid in - even to bring him on with 20mins to go if we needed to shore up midfield especiallyif we were leading.

As per usual liam millers inclusion, frustrates the hell out of me.....offers nothing. Nothing at all on the pitch.

Yard of Pace
30/10/2009, 2:59 PM
Kelly, McShane or Nolan have hardly "got us to where we are now" anymore than Finnan, have they? A baffling exclusion.

Duggie
30/10/2009, 3:00 PM
bloody hell people ud think morrison was messi on here. ive no problem stokes been in there. scoring and playing regularly now for hibs. forget morrison now hes old news. pity stephen reid wasnt included but he will be back.

elroy
30/10/2009, 3:00 PM
Disgusted Stokes is in, the guy hasnt justified his inclusion and his attitude stinks.

I would understand S Reids omission if Trap hadnt included him in the previous squad. I can only assume the omission had been discussed/agreed with S Reid.

A Reid was never going to get in at this late stage, either was Clint unfortunately.

Finnan exclusion makes no sense. The only thing I can think of here is loyalty, it is likely Nolan wouldve been the one to make way.

Yard of Pace
30/10/2009, 3:03 PM
Finnan came out of international retirement for his country when we needed him! SURELY he deserves a place. I'm stunned, I really am.

Billynose
30/10/2009, 3:04 PM
I don't get the hatred for Stokes when Shane Long is in the squad. I was under the impression Leon Best was injured. Andy Reid being excluded doesn't bother me as i've come to expect it. Steven Reid being absent is a big disappointment. Finnan not being in the squad bothers me.

Scram
30/10/2009, 3:06 PM
But it's ok guys, Stokes is in.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1030/ireland.html

Goalkeepers
Shay Given
Keiren Westwood
Joe Murphy

Defenders
John O'Shea
Richard Dunne
Stephen Kelly
Kevin Kilbane
Eddie Nolan
Sean St. Ledger
Paul McShane
Darren O’Dea

Midfielders
Aiden McGeady
Damien Duff
Darron Gibson
Glenn Whelan
Keith Andrews
Liam Miller
Stephen Hunt
Andy Keogh
Liam Lawrence

Forwards
Kevin Doyle
Robbie Keane
Shane Long
Leon Best
Anthony Stokes

This is Fu(!<in ASTONISHING!! If this was Staunton, his job would be on the line, as should Trap’s.

The only positive is, if we can filed the best 11 out of that lot and paly with constant harassment, we may scrape through, but I WOULD bet against it!!!

back of the net
30/10/2009, 3:10 PM
bloody hell people ud think morrison was messi on here. ive no problem stokes been in there. scoring and playing regularly now for hibs. forget morrison now hes old news. pity stephen reid wasnt included but he will be back.

a bit OTT there duggie dont ya think , morrison is limited of course - but he has experience when it comes to international football and has scored goals for us. Combine that with his desire to get back playing with ireland, i think he would be a good option to bring if we needed to making a striker change.

I dont agree with you on forgetting about morrison, but each to their own i guess.

Duggie
30/10/2009, 3:13 PM
a bit OTT there duggie dont ya think , morrison is limited of course - but he has experience when it comes to international football and has scored goals for us. Combine that with his desire to get back playing with ireland, i think he would be a good option to bring if we needed to making a striker change.

I dont agree with you on forgetting about morrison, but each to their own i guess.

where has this morrison thing come from anyway. trap was never going to call him up. im glad hes gone for stokes. hes younger and more of an option for the future if things keep going well for him at hibs. morrison is out of the picture now if u ask me. thats my opinion anyway.

Yard of Pace
30/10/2009, 3:15 PM

Indeed. There's not many strikers playing at a decent level who've actually scored goals or even played for us in competitive internationals.

DeLorean
30/10/2009, 3:16 PM
what a joke, stokes scores a goal against the worst rangers team in decades and gets in

That's not fair, he also scored against St. Johnstone a few weeks back:D

This is Fu(!<in ASTONISHING!! If this was Staunton, his job would be on the line

That's because he would be preparing us for a friendly, having finished 4th or 5th in the group.

M@ttitude
30/10/2009, 3:17 PM
Bringing in Finnan now may just distrupt the camp at the moment? Or maybe not.. But lets just stick to the same gang of players that have been involved in THIS campaign, he's showing faith in his squad. Stokes is one for the future, he's only bloody 21 ffs!!!

co. down green
30/10/2009, 3:18 PM
Don't think Stokes will play any part against the French, just as Morrison wouldn't have, had he been in the squad.

back of the net
30/10/2009, 3:19 PM
where has this morrison thing come from anyway. trap was never going to call him up. im glad hes gone for stokes. hes younger and more of an option for the future if things keep going well for him at hibs. morrison is out of the picture now if u ask me. thats my opinion anyway.

i have always like morrison and i think he would be a good inclusion.

Like you i dont understand the anti - stokes thing - if u read my earlier post , i say that he is technically very good. I have no problem with him in the squad at all.

I do agree that morrisson is probably out of the picture - but i think thats a pity - a real pity.

But you have your opinion and i have mine. Once we beat france , we will all be happy no matter who is playing.

Come on Ireland

gspain
30/10/2009, 3:20 PM
Finnan is a shock. Thought he'd be in.

Surprised at Stokes too.

Steven Reid is hardly a surprise. Shame but he is clearly not match fit yet.

amaccann
30/10/2009, 3:23 PM
Of course...you know what's going to happen, right?

Stokes comes on as an 85th minute sub in Paris and scores the qualifying goal.

Uncle_Joe
30/10/2009, 3:24 PM
Squad seems perfectly reasonable to me. I dont see any real point in calling up players for a world cup playoff who have played 3 or 4 games in the last 16 months.
Andy Reid? is there any point in shaking the boat at this late stage?

Its all about percentages at this stage, so the less changes the better.

... but just to cover my back I agree with Paul

Trap Out!:rolleyes:

Duggie
i have always like morrison and i think he would be a good inclusion.

Like you i dont understand the anti - stokes thing - if u read my earlier post , i say that he is technically very good. I have no problem with him in the squad at all.

I do agree that morrisson is probably out of the picture - but i think thats a pity - a real pity.

But you have your opinion and i have mine. Once we beat france , we will all be happy no matter who is playing.

Come on Ireland

if u like morrison ive no probs with that, just dont see him adding much longterm. its hard to believe stokes is still only 21. come on the lads :ball:

Yard of Pace
Bringing in Finnan now may just distrupt the camp at the moment? Or maybe not.. But lets just stick to the same gang of players that have been involved in THIS campaign, he's showing faith in his squad.

Finnan played against Georgia and Montenegro.

Noelys Guitar
30/10/2009, 3:26 PM
We should all hope that none of our first 13/14 players get injured as I don't like the look of our back ups. But understand Trap not picking Finnan or either Reid as this stage.

Yard of Pace
30/10/2009, 3:28 PM
We should all hope that none of our first 13/14 players get injured as I don't like the look of our back ups.

Hypothetically, if a 1st choice full-back got injured and he did call in Finnan....would he really start McShane, Nolan or Kelly ahead of him? :confused:

M@ttitude
30/10/2009, 3:29 PM
Finnan played against Georgia and Montenegro.
I am surprised that he left a fit Steve Finnan out.. But I think ill trust whatever reason he has to leave him out. For now.

Duggie
30/10/2009, 3:31 PM
We should all hope that none of our first 13/14 players get injured as I don't like the look of our back ups. But understand Trap not picking Finnan or either Reid as this stage.

i think robbie or dunne getting injured would be a disaster. especially robbie.