PDA

View Full Version : Trap excludes Steven Reid, Andy Reid, Finnan and Morrison for play-off squad.

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

backstothewall
31/10/2009, 10:04 AM
Delighted that Stokes is in. He is in a great run of form and I think Hibs will turn out to be the right club for him.

In fact I've stuck a fiver on him finishing top goalscorer in the SPL this season.

Would have picked Finnan and S Reid myself, but Trap knows best.

gwhite
31/10/2009, 10:30 AM
I think Trap is losing it. What was the point of asking Finnan back if he won't select him when fit? It's not Finnan's fault he's been injured. And as for saying he can't change the squad, he didn't mind changing it when St. Ledger came in for Bulgaria away and he would've brought Stephen Ireland back had he made himself available again. He's doing a Stan in that he won't pick the best players available to him. I just hope it doesn't backfire on us.

weldoninhio
31/10/2009, 10:33 AM
I think Trap should go too if we don't qualify, i can't believe that the FAI gave him a new contract before this campaign was even finished. I know there were rumours of "other" teams looking at him etc. but he was managing Red Bull Salzburg when we got him, its not like any big club was gonna swoop for him.

He has marginalised certain players, and the "would you rather have Staunton?" question is ridiculous. Staunton was an awful manager for Ireland, he had no managerial experience at all. Not every other manager in the world who is not Trap will be as bad as Staunton.

In this campaign we have only beaten 2 teams, Cyprus who beat us last campaign, but look at what happened to Real Madrid last week, freak results happen. And Georgia, who didn't get to play a home game against up.

These are 2 cup finals against the French, its not like a drawn out league qualifying campaign. Its all well and good being loyal to the players who got you to the play-offs, but this is the type of situation where a bit of magic, or something out of the ordinary is needed. Players who are in form at the moment should be picked regardless of what has gone before.

dr_peepee
31/10/2009, 11:03 AM
DrP I actually dont think we can know if Trap has any issue with Joey O Brien because he has been injured ever since he made those comments

I think he was fit and excluded for a breif period after he made the comments.. And has been injured since.

Noelys Guitar
31/10/2009, 11:22 AM
The comments on Steven Reid are strange considering Gibson has yet to play a match for United having come back from injury.

geysir
31/10/2009, 11:26 AM
I think he was fit and excluded for a breif period after he made the comments.. And has been injured since.

You are a marked man Doc :) You are required to provide proof.
One timeline indicates,
Joey last played for Bolton Oct 18,
one press report of Joey's Ireland squad anguish Oct 29.

Yard of Pace
31/10/2009, 11:54 AM
The comments on Steven Reid are strange considering Gibson has yet to play a match for United having come back from injury.

Yeah the lad in the Indo mentions this. Emmet Malone in the IT doesn't go into details but it's obvious he's not impressed.

geysir
31/10/2009, 12:13 PM
I don't mind the containment game when needed and the efforts to getting it inch perfect, it's the hoofs upfield that do my head in. After the Cyprus game at least there were signs against Italy that O'Shea tried most times to pass it out.
Against Italy we got 2 very good goals after smart play.
Duff should be peaking and we need him to be at his best.
I think we will be ready to give a good account of ourselves over both games

Crosby87
31/10/2009, 12:23 PM
I think we will be ready to give a good account of ourselves over both games

Do you also believe the sun comes up in the morning?:D

geysir
31/10/2009, 1:20 PM
Where I live, the sun either goes down before it comes up or comes up before it goes down.

SuperDave
31/10/2009, 2:04 PM
Where I live, the sun either goes down before it comes up or comes up before it goes down.

goes down every night just like yo mamma!

... sorry, i'm twelve.

In relation to Darren Gibson, it's not like he is coming back from a year out with a career threatening injury so I have no problem with his inclusion over Steven Reid. The need for game time is very different when you haven't played for a year as opposed to a few weeks imo.

I also agree that duffer is coming into top form and we really need him on top of his game. He's like the opposite of McGeady, never needlessly flashy and often with an end product (although we tend to forget McGeady is still a relatively young 23yo and without Duffers vast experience). Now, for a couple v Liverpool today....

elroy
31/10/2009, 2:52 PM
The above comments about Trap are nothing short of disgraceful. We are in a playoff for the WC, undefeated in the whole campaign, the squad has expanded and developed throughout the campaign and has a structure and purpose so absent in recent years. At worst such comments should be reserved until after the campaign. Im sure if we qualify you'll be the first to jump on the Trap bandwagon.

On a separate not, super free kick from A Reid today. Finnan subbed mid way through first half for Pompey, can only presume injury.

richieos
31/10/2009, 3:06 PM
Finnan gone off injured after 41 minutes for pompey. Thats 1 out of 4 players that trap has been proven right on. I also think it would have been risky too include stephen reid and its too risky to include morrison or andy this late

Jicked
31/10/2009, 3:10 PM
I'd have had Finnan in the squad, though having seen that he's gone off injured maybe the management team had reason to doubt his fitness, in which case him being left out was understandable.
I wouldn't have picked Stephen Reid, way to risky to put him out there for two or even one big game. He needs to feel his way back in to football, hopefully come Christmas/January he'll be fighting fit and ready for our friendlies in the new year. There's no point risking his future and then potentially destablising our set-up mid way through a crucial game if he had to come off injured.

Morisson isn't good enough, Andy Reid should be in the squad but its no surprise that he isn't.

EastTerracer
31/10/2009, 3:57 PM
Finnan gone off injured after 41 minutes for pompey. Thats 1 out of 4 players that trap has been proven right on. I also think it would have been risky too include stephen reid and its too risky to include morrison or andy this late

Reid not even on the bench for Blackburn today - 2 out of 4 for Trapp?

Noelys Guitar
31/10/2009, 4:03 PM
Miller scored for Hibs.

Philly
31/10/2009, 4:03 PM
Steven Reid:
Reid is not even on the bench today for Blackburn. He played 70 minutes is what Trap rightly called an "easy" game during the week. He is obviously not fit enough for Big Sam, yet so many people on here think he'll help us beat the French? I'm as big an admirer of him as anyone, but give the lad time to get fit. It takes more than a few reserve games to get fit enough for a World Cup play-off, especially after that amount of time out.

Andy Reid:
Is this worth talking about anymore? Is he good enough to play for us? Yeah. Should he be in the squad? Apparently not, for some reason. Ask him and Trap!

Finnan: Has not been great for Portsmouth, a team who are struggling. Clearly not fully fit, and he got injured today. Big whoppee that Trap left him out? Hardly. Give him time lads, although unlike Reid I wouldn't be sure he will ever fully recover at his age and after so long out.

Morrison: Emm. Hasn't been around in how long? He certainly wouldn't come on. Typical of some folks on foot.ie that he's being built up as some sort of footballing genius just because he ISN'T in the squad!

Stokes: At 21, he is still probably our brightest hope for the future when it comes to strikers. Is playing well in the SPL, and deserves his place in the squad.

That's my opinion, after thinking all this over. At first I was annoyed at some of the management's decisions, but upon reflection I think Trap made the right calls for the situation we are in.

Yard of Pace
31/10/2009, 4:14 PM
I'd have had Finnan in the squad, though having seen that he's gone off injured maybe the management team had reason to doubt his fitness.

Why wouldn't have Portsmouth's medical teams have shared the same concerns???! Or Finnan himself?

Are people going to give Trap credit for being a soothsayer now? "Proven right". I ask ye. :rolleyes:

Scram
31/10/2009, 4:22 PM
That's not fair, he also scored against St. Johnstone a few weeks back:D
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scram
This is Fu(!<in ASTONISHING!! If this was Staunton, his job would be on the line

That's because he would be preparing us for a friendly, having finished 4th or 5th in the group.

Too easy! :rolleyes:

I really don't think we will qualify and, like I say, any other manager (especially if he was homegrown) would be in for a torrent of abuse for leaving out the Reids and Finnan.

Jicked
31/10/2009, 4:24 PM
Because Portsmouth are desperate for points and probably willing to throw people in to any sort of situation. Trap may think twice about risking in two crucial games four days apart two half fit 30-something who hasn't played much in the last year.

The fact that Reid wasn't in Blackburn's squad today shows that he couldn't have been included for us even if he did make 70 minutes in a game played at walking pace.

amaccann
31/10/2009, 4:28 PM
The preference of Morrison over Stokes is mind boggling; Morrison has had his chance & it's time to accept that he was never that good to begin with & offers diddly squat. Stokes, for all his personal faults is an emerging talent & potentially a genuine one.

Stokes has it all to prove, Morrison has none. Let's not even mention the fact that I would sooner suspect a "real" Irishman to give more in the name of a senior cap than Clinton flippin' Morrison.

geysir
31/10/2009, 4:39 PM
Too easy! :rolleyes:

I really don't think we will qualify and, like I say, any other manager (especially if he was homegrown) would be in for a torrent of abuse for leaving out the Reids and Finnan.

Thing is, some managers earn a bit of leeway and their critique to be put into perspective.
We look, listen, observe, scrutinise and comment upon Trap's every action/word/decision. There is no excuse for the standard of some of our play in the group, especially in a few of the home games.
Trap feels stronger with persisting with the same line up.
His choices can be nitpicked but in reality the Andy Reid squad omission is about the only one that most people agree upon.

Yard of Pace
31/10/2009, 4:46 PM
Because Portsmouth are desperate for points and probably willing to throw people in to any sort of situation. .

They're not going to risk a 1st choice right-back getting injured and being out for 6 months for the sake of his starting one match. If he started, he was fit, as he would've been for the previous games.

geysir
31/10/2009, 4:55 PM
Finnan has said he has quite someway to go before being 100% fit.

gufct
31/10/2009, 5:04 PM
The amount of bull being spouted here is unbelievable if stephen reid is not fit enough to make the blackburn 16 today how can he possibly be fit enough to play for us in 2 weeks. We are the biggest shower of moaners and begrudgers in the world.

Supreme feet
31/10/2009, 5:19 PM
We are the biggest shower of moaners and begrudgers in the world.

I'd agree that we're moaners - it's frustrating having two of our better players omitted through a lack of fitness (which was debatable until today), but I fail to see how anyone can be accused of begrudgery here... It's not as if we're all bitter little Dunphyites who want the team to fail just to have our reservations confirmed! Well, maybe Weldoninhio...

LFCSixty/Eighty
31/10/2009, 5:31 PM
The preference of Morrison over Stokes is mind boggling; Morrison has had his chance & it's time to accept that he was never that good to begin with & offers diddly squat. Stokes, for all his personal faults is an emerging talent & potentially a genuine one.

Stokes has it all to prove, Morrison has none. Let's not even mention the fact that I would sooner suspect a "real" Irishman to give more in the name of a senior cap than Clinton flippin' Morrison.

What we need in these 2 games more than anything else is experience. For all his faults this is one thing that Clinton can offer us. Stokes IS one for the future but I don't think France in a 2 leg play off is when you should be bringing someone like him in. It's not as if he hasn't had enough friendlies to try him out in. I for one can remember Clinton scoring some vital goals for us under Brian Kerr. Maybe someone should give Trap some of those DVDs. At least then he might be able to see what he can offer us.

Razors left peg
31/10/2009, 5:51 PM
The commentator on ESPN said that Steven Reid has stressed that the reason he is out of Blackburn squad today is nothing to do with the knee but because of kick on the ankle in the carling cup game

Cosmo
31/10/2009, 5:55 PM
Honest to God I cannot get my head around this sort of mentality. Would you prefer to bring back Staunton as manager?

Wouldnt get rid of trap, but i think alot of ireland fans are getting way carried away. Fair enough, we went through the campaign unbeaten - but we have to remember that the fact is that we only beat 2 teams throughout the whole campaign (the mighty cyprus and georgia!! Theyre the only 2 teams we could beat ffs!!).

Im baffled by some of his decisions. While were tough to beat, if we go a goal behind against france, how can he change it? Wouldnt put andy reid in the starting 11 (and think hes overrated) but id still have him in the squad as with 20 minutes to go and were chasing a goal hes a great option to bring on to help change the match. The likes of Liam poxy miller isnt gona do that

France will beat us in the playoff as they have players that can turn on the magic to dig out a goal (like henry in lansdowne).

Though if we get alot of luck and get through, I think we'll do well in the world cup - we will be very hard to beat which will help in scraping out of the group stages and we'll be tough to beat in one off matches in the knockout stages! :) Though we wont be pretty to watch! (a bit like us under doolin!!)

Just wish trap would include some of the decent players hes doesnt seem to have any time for!!

rebelmusic
31/10/2009, 6:26 PM
Think i suggested this before. Trap has pretty much indicated that if we qualify for the world cup he'll look at the squad again. He did say that he will look at andy reid and lee carsley in the pre-wc friendlies. His 'system' will not get us far in the world cup in fairness. And I don't believe trap is the kind of manager who will think just qualifying for the world cup is enough, i'm sure in the back of his mind, as remote as it is, he will look to see if there's a way to win it. I know that's almost laughable, but he does have a winning mentality (in the long run at least!).

The squads he's chosen have pretty much been organised around the 6 defenders, 4 attackers philosophy. I think this will change after the play-offs

rebelmusic
31/10/2009, 6:28 PM
Oh and finnan was injured in the portsmouth match today so i assume he would have been out of the running in the end anyway :(

dr_peepee
31/10/2009, 11:18 PM
You are a marked man Doc :) You are required to provide proof.
One timeline indicates,
Joey last played for Bolton Oct 18,
one press report of Joey's Ireland squad anguish Oct 29.

I definately remember him being fit and being overlooked. He hasn't played for Bolton since Oct 18th alright. Doesn't mean he wasn't fit though!! (As I'm sure someone like Gibson can attest too)... I found this

http://www.setanta.com/au/Articles/Football/2009/1/27/Int-OBrien-targets-international-return/gnid-37284/

This'll probbly get twisted into me advocating an O'Brien call up, which it isn't. I'm stressing I'm just worried that Trapp might be over reacting to the media issue from the S Reid knee thing. Reid wasn't even on the bench tonight so again, it could be that Trapp sincerely thinks he has nothing to bring to the squad at this stage in his fitness. However there's a contradiction then in his inclusion for the Italy/Montenegro games. And I'm just hoping it's not down to the comments in the media...

dr_peepee
31/10/2009, 11:45 PM
The amount of bull being spouted here is unbelievable if stephen reid is not fit enough to make the blackburn 16 today how can he possibly be fit enough to play for us in 2 weeks. We are the biggest shower of moaners and begrudgers in the world.

Ah Come on!! It's too easy to cite that we're all begrudgers and moaners that want S Reid to start against France. Way too easy

I've said a million times that S Reid, more than most, takes more time to recover from injuries and that I wouldn't have him play.

The thing is the contradictions in Trapps thinking? Why include him for Italy? Why exclude him now? I pay as much heed to Trapps press conferences as I do to Brian Cowens, cos it's all non commital jargain. Is this going to be another Andy Reid scenario is the question for me. Why? Because he saw fit to include him then and to exclude him now, since the Reid & Allardyce response in the media...

Man! It's like going out with a really tasty looking mare. She's a bit moody, doesn't believe in reason or accountability, and I'm still waiting on her to come across with the goods.... But she's deadly looking so ye can't say anything yet!!!!

wexfordman
01/11/2009, 1:38 AM
also can somebody shed some light on why delap is always overlooked. he plays a similar style game to whelan and andrews often keeps whelan out of the stoke team.

regularly gets his game for a club team thats superior to andrew's team, add in that lawrence is also in the squad so as trap does not like upsetting the balance of the team how about 3 midfielders that train together everyday and no each other inside out.

he is versatile and finally as with the a reid argument when ireland go behind there is no plan b. imagine richard dunne coming forward for his longthrows him and doyler would surley give gallas and abidal a tough time in the aerial battle. i really think he should be in the squad, i think he ticks all the boxes as a player trap likes. except his age.

even if we did not score directly off of his throws the constant bombardment would tire their defenders out. all in all like a reid an option worth having on the bench at least.

and agree with what someone said above if one of our forwards were struggling or ireland really needing to defend a lead what would be wrong with a 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 with reid behind a lone striker he can play there as well as cm or left wing also people go on about mcgeedy but he has yet to score in 25+ internationals and is final ball is v poor i would be surprised if he has more than 4 assists

Junior
01/11/2009, 6:35 AM
What we need in these 2 games more than anything else is experience. For all his faults this is one thing that Clinton can offer us. Stokes IS one for the future but I don't think France in a 2 leg play off is when you should be bringing someone like him in. It's not as if he hasn't had enough friendlies to try him out in. I for one can remember Clinton scoring some vital goals for us under Brian Kerr. Maybe someone should give Trap some of those DVDs. At least then he might be able to see what he can offer us.

In fairness it was 1 against the Swiss and 1 against Israel - lets not go over board but I do take your point on experience. However he hasnt featured for such a long time I doubt there is much to pick between him an Stokes as a squad player - certainly nothing to be outraged by.

geysir
01/11/2009, 7:20 AM
I definately remember him being fit and being overlooked. He hasn't played for Bolton since Oct 18th alright. Doesn't mean he wasn't fit though!! (As I'm sure someone like Gibson can attest too)... I found this

http://www.setanta.com/au/Articles/Football/2009/1/27/Int-OBrien-targets-international-return/gnid-37284/

There is not a strong enough case for including Joey's non selection as part of a suspicion that Trap was over reacting to media reports.
Afair, he was in the squad for home game against Cyprus last Oct.

I'm just worried that Trapp might be over reacting to the media issue from the S Reid knee thing. Reid wasn't even on the bench tonight so again, it could be that Trapp sincerely thinks he has nothing to bring to the squad at this stage in his fitness. However there's a contradiction then in his inclusion for the Italy/Montenegro games. And I'm just hoping it's not down to the comments in the media..
S Reid was in the original squad for the last 2 games as part of a 10 man midfield. A hope that he would be fit to play? or just to have a look at him in training, planning ahead for the play offs? now Trap is reconciled that will not be fit enough.

But there is plenty of room for conspiracies around Andy Reid's exclusion.

weldoninhio
01/11/2009, 11:12 AM
In fairness it was 1 against the Swiss and 1 against Israel - lets not go over board but I do take your point on experience. However he hasnt featured for such a long time I doubt there is much to pick between him an Stokes as a squad player - certainly nothing to be outraged by.

Yeah, its not like his goals to games ratio for Ireland is the same as Kevin Doyles or anything.

We will NOT be going to South Africa with Trap the clown in charge.

noddy102
01/11/2009, 11:14 AM
Yeah, its not like his goals to games ratio for Ireland is the same as Kevin Doyles or anything.

We will NOT be going to South Africa with Trap the clown in charge.

Were we going to go to South Africa with somebody else in charge then?

weldoninhio
01/11/2009, 11:25 AM
Were we going to go to South Africa with somebody else in charge then?

With someone else in charge we might have beaten the mighty Montenegro

Razors left peg
01/11/2009, 11:32 AM
I thought there were rules on this forum about wind up merchants

geysir
01/11/2009, 11:37 AM
Ignore them.

Royal rover
01/11/2009, 12:45 PM
i went to watch Hibs V Aberdeen yesterday - people at Hibs really rate Stokes - he showed some great touches and movement yesterday and looked by far the best player on the field - likewise i know rangers fans that said the same thing to me after last weeks performance in ibrox - i also understand that he is playing in the SPL and not EPL and there's a massive difference in standards. Hibs fans would rate him higher than any striker they have had for the last few years - Riordain , Fletcher etc, the lad needs to be playing up front week in week out not in midlfield or as winger. People on here should also remember that he's 21, i honestly believe a good season will see him progress to bigger and better things and if we make it to SA he could be are suprise package

miller played in centre midfield yesterday played well worked hard - Hibs were helped by the ref sending off 2 aberdeen players, which gave him an opportunity to control the game -

Curtis Byrne - played right side of midfield for roughly 70 min - he looks a very good prospect - and any hibs fans will tell you he's rated very highly

Graham Stack - looks like a solid keeper as well - didn't really have alot to do

brine3
01/11/2009, 4:15 PM
Really annoyed that Finnan isn't in the squad. Kilbane has been fairly shocking as a full back and has only played because we have nobody else. He does his best, in fairness, but you have to put a fit Finnan back in the first XI straight away, let alone the squad...

Beggars can't be choosers!

Only explanation is that he's not fit yet...

elroy
01/11/2009, 4:23 PM
[QUOTE=Cosmo;1262583]Fair enough, we went through the campaign unbeaten - but we have to remember that the fact is that we only beat 2 teams throughout the whole campaign (the mighty cyprus and georgia!! Theyre the only 2 teams we could beat ffs!!).

Im baffled by some of his decisions. While were tough to beat, if we go a goal behind against france, how can he change it? QUOTE]

I think we wouldve beaten Monte in the last game if we needed to.

The two games where we went behind in the campaign against Georgia and Italy, we managed to pull it back. The Italian game in particular was rescued by good tactics and decent performances from players like Folan and N Hunt, who none of us wouldve put on that night if we're honest. I dont think we have any reason to doubt Trap to date, so why start now.

Razors left peg
03/11/2009, 7:13 PM
Darron Gibson back from injury and on the bench for United tonight

Brendan 82
03/11/2009, 7:24 PM
People calling for Finnan just don't really keep up with their football do they? Injured again at the weekend and proving as unreliable as ever

tetsujin1979
03/11/2009, 7:44 PM
People calling for Finnan just don't really keep up with their football do they? Injured again at the weekend and proving as unreliable as ever
before his recent injuries, I don't think anyone had ever described Finnan as "unreliable"

ifk101
03/11/2009, 7:48 PM
Exactly, Finnan is boring because he's so consistent and what's the word I'm looking for - reliable, perhaps :D.

Brendan 82
03/11/2009, 7:56 PM
before his recent injuries, I don't think anyone had ever described Finnan as "unreliable"

His "recent" injuries are not recent. That is my point, just ask Espanyol

tetsujin1979
03/11/2009, 8:01 PM
His "recent" injuries are not recent. That is my point, just ask Espanyol
Go back more than 14 months and Finnan was rarely injured. Before that he was one of the most reliable full backs in the Premiership.