PDA

View Full Version : Clubs who are not in trouble (for a change)

roinuj
30/10/2009, 7:56 AM
sick of listening about clubs in trouble?
well why not talk about the clubs who are keeping themselfs out of the papers from bad news storys for a change

well done rovers
way to go.

take a bow waterford united.

good on ye wexford youths.

Acornvilla
30/10/2009, 8:01 AM
come on De Town :D

GypsyBlackCat
30/10/2009, 8:33 AM
Bohs are in a great state. We've money to burn. (head firmly in the sand) :D

passinginterest
30/10/2009, 9:12 AM

I've heard a few worrying stories about Youths so wouldn't be too quick to put them in here. Don't forget it's basically just a one man operation and he's a property developer with some serious debts.

pineapple stu
30/10/2009, 9:15 AM
How much of a one-man operation are the Youths? How long established were they before joining the league? They seem to be much better off than, say, your Dublin City/Kilkenny City in terms of a set-up, but has that not seeped through to club management, or is it just the financial side of things is being propped up by Wallace?

gufc2000
30/10/2009, 9:22 AM
Monaghan United, Bray, UCD.

What's the story with Kildare, Athlone, Finn Harps and Limerick?

passinginterest
30/10/2009, 9:23 AM
How much of a one-man operation are the Youths? How long established were they before joining the league? They seem to be much better off than, say, your Dublin City/Kilkenny City in terms of a set-up, but has that not seeped through to club management, or is it just the financial side of things is being propped up by Wallace?

Wexfors Youths as a club didn't exist prior to entering the league of Ireland. Wallace had planned for a few years to enter an under 20 side based on the Wexford League under 18's that he'd managed with great success over more than a decade, the demise of Dublin City meant the under 20 entry was upgraded to a rushed league of Ireland entry. Everything to do with the club is owned and financed by Wallace, I've seen little evidence to suggest that it would survive without him and I get the impression he's not all that enthused by the League of Ireland experience. There's been a certain amount of hostility towards the club form the local junior league and many wouldn't be sorry to see it's demise and a return to the old structures.

pineapple stu
30/10/2009, 9:26 AM
So what was there before was a league representative side of sorts?

Effing junior football must be one of the single greatest impediments to the senior game in this country.

redobit
30/10/2009, 9:32 AM
well why not talk about the clubs who are keeping themselfs out of the papers from bad news storys for a change

well done rovers
way to go.

take a bow waterford united.

Cheers from all Sligo Rovers fans

RoversHead
30/10/2009, 11:06 AM
Didnt want to start a thread so I hope you dont mind me sticking another positive into this one.The coverage of games by Dundalk fm SRFC TV and icandy from the Brandywell has really shown the way forward and has been invaluable to overseas fans and those at home who cant make it to games.Somebody please sort out a cam for the Dundalk lads.It would be great if the streaming thing spread to more grounds and Im sure it will.:)

1895ringsend
30/10/2009, 11:17 AM
bar the uncertaintly surroundng the ground i think our board with the help of the SSDG have done a great job running shels and getting us back on our feet afer we went into meltdown in early 2007. The players are being payed their wages on time and the club is living well within its means while keeping us still fairly competitive pushing for prommotion. As i said the ground situation is a concern and wh knows what will happen there but overall i think most fans are happy with the huge improvements in the running of the club.

Magicme
30/10/2009, 11:20 AM
Didnt want to start a thread so I hope you dont mind me sticking another positive into this one.The coverage of games by Dundalk fm SRFC TV and icandy from the Brandywell has really shown the way forward and has been invaluable to overseas fans and those at home who cant make it to games.Somebody please sort out a cam for the Dundalk lads.It would be great if the streaming thing spread to more grounds and Im sure it will.:)

I know as it is first division many wont care but we are hoping to do live streaming from our games next season.

LK37oldskool
30/10/2009, 12:33 PM
Monaghan United, Bray, UCD.

What's the story with Kildare, Athlone, Finn Harps and Limerick?

Despite a hiccup mid season we've got a new Chairman on board who's more hands on.we've got a big funraiser this weekend and a lottery thats going to help big time in the off season.Could be lookin at the start of next season without all the B******t thats plagued us for the last couple of years. :)

roinuj
30/10/2009, 1:28 PM
Cheers from all Sligo Rovers fans

i taught sligo were up to their balls in debt ?

dcfcsteve
30/10/2009, 1:40 PM
The following clubs must be comended for keeping themnselves out of the press recently :

- Drumcondra.
- Cork Hibernians.
- Transport
- Brideville.
- Dublin Pioneers FC.

Well done one and all.

brianw82
30/10/2009, 2:17 PM

Nope. All last season's financial problems have been cleared. We're pretty much in the black, especially after all those cup replays brought in extra cash. How long that lasts is anyone's guess, though.

roinuj
30/10/2009, 2:45 PM
Nope. All last season's financial problems have been cleared. We're pretty much in the black, especially after all those cup replays brought in extra cash. How long that lasts is anyone's guess, though.

well done.
hope ye win the cup for that.;)

redobit
30/10/2009, 3:02 PM

By all accounts we're on the way to making a profit this season, not bad considering the economic times.
As brianw82 said how long it lasts is another thing, however the people involved at the moment and behind the scenes are doing a good job, so Id be v optomistic for the future (famous last words).

ClaretnBlue
30/10/2009, 3:09 PM
We've just announced during the week that we are now going to be a non-profit making Club..............class

Tony Soprano
30/10/2009, 3:12 PM
Wexfors Youths as a club didn't exist prior to entering the league of Ireland. Wallace had planned for a few years to enter an under 20 side based on the Wexford League under 18's that he'd managed with great success over more than a decade, the demise of Dublin City meant the under 20 entry was upgraded to a rushed league of Ireland entry. Everything to do with the club is owned and financed by Wallace, I've seen little evidence to suggest that it would survive without him and I get the impression he's not all that enthused by the League of Ireland experience. There's been a certain amount of hostility towards the club form the local junior league and many wouldn't be sorry to see it's demise and a return to the old structures.

why is there tension with the junior league ? is it over taking players ?

seand
30/10/2009, 3:14 PM
It could be argued that most of the clubs who "are not in trouble" are also not in the Premier Division.

passerrby
30/10/2009, 3:52 PM
ergo First Div = smarter clubs

dcfcsteve
30/10/2009, 4:25 PM
It could be argued that most of the clubs who "are not in trouble" are also not in the Premier Division.

Or more accurately "not in contention".... ;)

Scrufil
30/10/2009, 5:01 PM
Athlone Town will not comment until the season's end. I think although not great we will finish on a better footing than last year. Only the final accounts will truely show this picture.

sadloserkid
31/10/2009, 9:24 AM
Could be lookin at the start of next season without all the B******t thats plagued us for the last couple of years. :)

We say that every year though. :) Things look positive this time round so fingers crossed.

Cosmo
31/10/2009, 10:21 AM
We've just announced during the week that we are now going to be a non-profit making Club..............class

Yeah that was reassuring to hear :D

Longfordian
31/10/2009, 10:23 AM
It'll make a welcome change for ye all I'm sure.

Kildareman
31/10/2009, 12:05 PM
Or more accurately "not in contention".... ;)

UCD..;) Sporting Fingal..;)

Whats the state of Shelbourne now? They seem to have
changed their ways.

Ezeikial
31/10/2009, 12:09 PM
Somebody please sort out a cam for the Dundalk lads.It would be great if the streaming thing spread to more grounds and Im sure it will.:)

Crikey - their mad enough with a mic, sure they would run amock with a camera

John83
31/10/2009, 12:14 PM
Whats the state of Shelbourne now? They seem to have changed their ways.
They seem to be more or less living within their means, though of course it's hard to tell for sure. There's still the big question mark over their long term home though.

oriel
31/10/2009, 8:58 PM

Good point, think we made a small profit last year of around 10k (FD), it will be a substantial loss this season, but I think thats more to do with the recession, sponsorship fall off etc, as our crowds have increased by 1,000 on avg.

You could also argue do many world football clubs make a profit?, I recall reading once, not long ago that of the 92 in England only top 4 made money and a lot of that was debt re-payment.

stamullendrog
31/10/2009, 10:56 PM

ya can add drogs live radio to that too

thischarmingman
01/11/2009, 8:04 AM
Athlone Town will not comment until the season's end. I think although not great we will finish on a better footing than last year. Only the final accounts will truely show this picture.

Athlone were in a lot of bother about a year or so ago, weren't they? I'd be pleased for them if they have managed to extricate themselves to some extent.

A N Mouse
01/11/2009, 9:51 AM
Good point, think we made a small profit last year of around 10k (FD),<b> it will be a substantial loss this season, but I think thats more to do with the recession, sponsorship fall off etc</b>, as our crowds have increased by 1,000 on avg.

Not to mention some kind of record in disciplinary fines :p

You must have got nearly as many red cards as big clive, and he just has to look to someone to get sent off. :(

You could also argue do many world football clubs make a profit?, I recall reading once, not long ago that of the 92 in England only top 4 made money and a lot of that was debt re-payment.

Think this season might see a 'big' (foreign) club implode. Unfortunately that just means someone(s) with less sense than cents [and just to rub salt in, possibly from this part of the world] will come along 'looking for a bargin'

Battery Rover
01/11/2009, 11:21 AM
Athlone were in a lot of bother about a year or so ago, weren't they? I'd be pleased for them if they have managed to extricate themselves to some extent.

Cant give any details but there will be plenty of good news stories coming out of the club over the close season.

Ezeikial
01/11/2009, 11:21 AM
You must have got nearly as many red cards as big clive, and he just has to look to someone to get sent off. :(

Big Clive is top of Dundalk wish list for next year, maybe Gary Deegan would fit in as well.

Plan is to have a squad size of about 65 to cover for the suspensions:rolleyes:

pineapple stu
03/11/2009, 10:42 AM
Good point, think we made a small profit last year of around 10k (FD), it will be a substantial loss this season, but I think thats more to do with the recession, sponsorship fall off etc, as our crowds have increased by 1,000 on avg.
You don't think it may be to do spending extra money on wages at all?

shep
03/11/2009, 11:16 AM

Wage bill wasnt massivly different to that of Gills to be honest Stu,Oriel is correct in what he is saying...the loss of our main sponsor and the failure of the "Shop Dundalk" campaign to bring in projected revenue was one of themain reasons for the shortfall.

oriel
03/11/2009, 12:31 PM

Of course it was, I was only pointing out that a profit was made while in the FD.

pineapple stu
03/11/2009, 12:41 PM
Hm. You and shep seem to be disagreeing, and shep's agreeing with your previous post... I'm all confused. :p

Anyways, think we're agreeing it was a bit of both?

John83
03/11/2009, 1:14 PM
Hm. You and shep seem to be disagreeing, and shep's agreeing with your previous post... I'm all confused. :p

Dundalk fans have said a number of times that their wage bill hasn't increased enormously this year. I seem to recall figures like €8k last year and €10-12k this year (I'm open to correction here). Obviously, that increase is a good chunk of their loss for the season, but promotion should have seen their income go up. That it hasn't says more about the relative drops in income (league-wide, I believe) than an over-ambitious wage budget.

shep
03/11/2009, 1:15 PM

I agree...no wait i disagree...by the way Stu and all the U.C.D lads,congrats,lookin forward to Dundalk playin our 1st game at "the bowl"

Ezeikial
03/11/2009, 1:57 PM
Dundalk fans have said a number of times that their wage bill hasn't increased enormously this year. I seem to recall figures like €8k last year and €10-12k this year (I'm open to correction here). Obviously, that increase is a good chunk of their loss for the season, but promotion should have seen their income go up. That it hasn't says more about the relative drops in income (league-wide, I believe) than an over-ambitious wage budget.

I can't recall with certainty the figures for 2008, but it is probably a fair stab that the wage bill has increased for 2009 in the region of €1.5 to €2k a week. So clearly, that additional €60k - €80k is a big chunk of the €200k deficit this season. The other big issues were €195k drop in sponsorships, and the enforced €50k cost of replacing the pitch, apart althogether from the cancellation of Barcelona and unsuccessfull Atletico friendlies.

It is resonable to expect any board to be prudent and sensible with their projections and spending, and to apply a balance between this and sporting ambition (in this case to consolidate in the premier division). In hindsight, it would have required a player budget reduction of €5k a week to breakeven - and most probably have made an instant return to the graveyard division. No thanks, we will pay our debts, re-group and move on!

pineapple stu
03/11/2009, 2:01 PM
Dundalk fans have said a number of times that their wage bill hasn't increased enormously this year. I seem to recall figures like €8k last year and €10-12k this year (I'm open to correction here). Obviously, that increase is a good chunk of their loss for the season
True (and I wasn't one of those getting digs in at Dundalk at the start of the season). I was working off very rough maths though. Crowds up by 1000 -20 games and a tenner a pop is E200k extra gate receipts. Prize money probably down E50k (cos they won the First last year). Loss of E200k compared to breakeven last year per the CEO. This leaves a shortfall on last year somewhere of E350k. If that's all (or mainly) down to fundraising, then they must have had a damned good fundraising department last year.

If we assume the wages are up from E8k to E11k, then you've E3k a week @ 36 weeks = E100k, but you've also to factor in 52 week contracts this year (full-time), which'd add on an extra E176k.

As I say, that's just me doing rough maths just to back up my initial post.

I agree...no wait i disagree...by the way Stu and all the U.C.D lads,congrats,lookin forward to Dundalk playin our 1st game at "the bowl"
If youz lot start singing "We all went to Trinity", you'll be removed!!! :p

Edit - Ezeikal posted in the meantime. Sponsorship was E195k down on last year? That's a lot.

roinuj
16/11/2009, 12:50 PM
True (and I wasn't one of those getting digs in at Dundalk at the start of the season). I was working off very rough maths though. Crowds up by 1000 -20 games and a tenner a pop is E200k extra gate receipts. Prize money probably down E50k (cos they won the First last year). Loss of E200k compared to breakeven last year per the CEO. This leaves a shortfall on last year somewhere of E350k. If that's all (or mainly) down to fundraising, then they must have had a damned good fundraising department last year.

If we assume the wages are up from E8k to E11k, then you've E3k a week @ 36 weeks = E100k, but you've also to factor in 52 week contracts this year (full-time), which'd add on an extra E176k.

As I say, that's just me doing rough maths just to back up my initial post.

If youz lot start singing "We all went to Trinity", you'll be removed!!! :p

Edit - Ezeikal posted in the meantime. Sponsorship was E195k down on last year? That's a lot.

dundalk are a credit to the league.
their only downfall is that plastic pitch.

forza rovers
16/11/2009, 7:05 PM
dundalk are a credit to the league.
their only downfall is that plastic pitch.
signing players and a couple of weeks later making them take pay cuts they sure are a credit to the league.

Dillonman
16/11/2009, 7:25 PM
signing players and a couple of weeks later making them take pay cuts they sure are a credit to the league.

Month and a half later!

Riddickcule
16/11/2009, 7:57 PM
We are a credit to the league.....somehow

Acornvilla
16/11/2009, 9:02 PM
We are a credit to the league.....somehow
watching tg4 ye have some lovely fat ginger supporters :)