PDA

View Full Version : Elliot and McCarthy set to play against Chelsea

tetsujin1979
26/02/2004, 12:16 PM
from mcfc.co.uk

Stephen Elliott who made his debut for the Blues on Saturday is set to feature in the Premiership clash against Chelsea.

And fellow Republic of Ireland U21 international Paddy McCarthy could join the twenty year old in the squad.

Both players were wanted by the Irish to travel to Madeira this week to compete in the island's U21 tournament.

But Kevin Keegan has kept the two players with the City squad this week to prepare for the visit of Chelsea.

"I pulled Stephen Elliott and Paddy McCarthy out of the Republic of Ireland U21 squad," explained the City manager.

"I talked with Don Givens, the manager and told him that we would let him have the other two, Willo Flood and Glen Whelan but these two are on the fringe of the first team due to the suspensions and injuries that we have at the moment."

"Obviously he was disappointed as he wanted them for the tournament but it included a Saturday and we have just had an international week."

"People say they are only young kids but they are on the fringe of our first team and also it would have weakened our reserve team."

Stephen Elliott missed the reserves scoreless draw in midweek due to a sore back but will be fit for the visit of Chelsea.

And the manager revealed that he could hand a debut to Paddy McCarthy in central defence.

"If Daniel van Buyten doesn’t come through and one of the players get an injury then Paddy will probably be playing."

"It is a big step for him but one that he can make. He has a great attitude and he is one of those lads who has the ability to give you everything he has got, whatever you ask him to do."

The twenty-year-old has shot ahead of Mikkel Bischoff in the pecking order. The Dane made his debut for the Blues last season and was on the bench for six other matches.

But injury has curtailed his progress and former academy player, Paddy McCarthy is now in line for a debut.

"Paddy has gone ahead of Mikkel Bischoff as he has stayed fit and has done well. We cannot get Mikkel fit so Paddy has jumped ahead of him at the moment and that is what happens in football."

"A year ago in my thoughts he would have been behind Mikkel but because of circumstances he is ahead of him."

The two Irishmen along with Stephen Jordan are currently on the verge of signing new deals with City.

"Paddy has agreed to sign and I understand that Stephen Elliott is about to sign. Stephen Jordan’s agent is coming to see me and we will see what we can do."

"I am a great believer that if they get one year it is great for them. If they get two years and do not do well then it is worse for us."

"We will have to see. I will probably start looking at two year deal from now as it gives them an assurance that the club wants them to stay."

Bowsy
26/02/2004, 12:39 PM
Great if they got a run. As a City fan it would be the one highlight of a dire season if the 2 of these lads broke through.

tetsujin1979
26/02/2004, 3:10 PM
Tell me about it, it would almost make up for a season that promised so much earlier, then fell apart in the winter. Lots of Irish lads in the reserves and U-19's too. Would really make my day if even half of them made the grade.

McCarthy has really surprised me this season, after Paisley was released he's made the step up and is now ahead of Bischoff, who Keegan always praised highly. What price an Irish central defence of Dunne and McCarthy before the season ends?

Bowsy
26/02/2004, 4:23 PM
Would be class. how many people had heard of Joey Barton this time last year? With Anelka libel to b*gger off at any stage, Macken unable to hit a barn door despite good link up play and City's porous defense those lads are in with a shout. Hopefully young Willo will bulk up a bit and make a push next year. Provided City pull away from relegation in next few weeks Keegan will experiment towards end of season.

tetsujin1979
27/02/2004, 9:54 AM
Hopefully young Willo will bulk up a bit and make a push next year.

Yeah, definately. I saw Willo Flood and Glenn Whelan last year for the U-19's at Tolka Park, there's isn't a pick on Willo Flood, he is skin and bone. Mind you, 5 years ago the same could be said about some left winger in the reserves at Blackburn. Damien, something or other ;) Elliot and McCarthy both played in that game too, Elliot had a few chances but the game was all in midfield, and the service wasn't great