PDA

View Full Version : FAI Park

SMorgan
28/10/2009, 4:17 PM
The FAI have applied for planning permission to build a stand in United Park.

The FAI has serious questions to answer in relation in to why its supporting some clubs to the hilt and are prepared to deny other clubs much needed support.

We know from last season's experience, that according to Padraig Smyth, the mere fact that there is a planning application in, means they can obtained a Premier Licence. This will be the second season in a row they will have done this.

The FAI needs to explain if Drogheda United as a club are paying towards the stand. If they are not making any contribution, then what rent is Drogheda United paying for the use of the FAI's ground.

Longfordian
28/10/2009, 4:20 PM
Doesn't seem to make an awful lot of sense for the FAI from a financial point of view unless Drogheda are contributing a large proportion of the cost. Their interest, if I remember rightly, can be bought out for a fixed amount a good deal less than the amount it'd cost to build a decent stand.

Celdrog
28/10/2009, 5:31 PM
The FAI have applied for planning permission to build a stand in United Park. Source?

L.T.F.C.
28/10/2009, 5:48 PM
Source?

http://www.drogheda-independent.ie/sport/soccer/home-for-another-five-years-1926259.html

pineapple stu
28/10/2009, 5:48 PM
Just by way of an advance warning - please keep posts about the topic, not about bashing the opposition.

Celdrog
28/10/2009, 5:56 PM
Cheers LTFC - saw it on our forum but there was no link confirming it.

Stu - you'd hardly want someone posting a rumour and presenting it as fact, would you.....:D

SMorgan
28/10/2009, 6:04 PM
Just by way of an advance warning - please keep posts about the topic, not about bashing the opposition.

Understood. I can assure you I didn't start this thread to have a go at Drogheda United football club or its fans. But I would dearly love to know why the FAI are building a stand that the Association does want or need at a time when money is so short. How can they justify this work and how will they recover any of the money invested in United Park?

Will the FAI carry out work in other grounds around the country? This is all happening just after the FAI refused point-blank to help out Cobh.

That's some that Drogheda got inself a while back. It got a lump sum from the FAI for the ground, it then got to keep that ground and the FAI undertook to carry out all the upgrading work required to get the club a licence.

Ezeikial
28/10/2009, 6:09 PM
The FAI has serious questions to answer in relation in to why its supporting some clubs to the hilt and are prepared to deny other clubs much needed support.

The FAI needs to explain if Drogheda United as a club are paying towards the stand. If they are not making any contribution, then what rent is Drogheda United paying for the use of the FAI's ground.

The first part of your post appears to assume that the FAI are supporting Drogheda financially with this proposed new stand.

That is not obvious from the article, although I agree with you that the FAI should clarify their role here.

If everything is legit with funding I applaud Drogheda on this move

Celdrog
28/10/2009, 6:37 PM
It got a lump sum from the FAI for the ground, it then got to keep that ground and the FAI undertook to carry out all the upgrading work required to get the club a licence.
For clarification - We actually got a €50k mortgage on the ground in the mid 1980s. This was done on the basis if the ground was ever sold the FAI were paid the mortgage back and the Drogs kept the money IF it was used for a new stadium for the club.
There is planning permission on UP for 110 apartments for Bill Doyle (during the Bryanstown years). The Drogs cannot sell him the ground as there is no new stadium to move to.

Aside from the fact that Dundalk have also got support from the FAI for the synthetic pitch :cool:, I do agree with SMorgan and have some questions I'd like answered.

I don't know why the FAI are doing it, I would be embarrased talking to a Cobh fan about it, but my main concern is that its another fudge to get around the licensing.

We were promised seats last summer, now we are promised a stand. Mind you if the appication has really gone in ( I cannot see it on the Drogheda Corporation website yet) and it happens it can only be a good thing.

It also says on our forum (and presumably in the print edition of the DI) that it will be a "a demountable and re-locatable stand". Perhaps we will buy it and put it into the latest new ground that the corporation are discussing.
Maybe we should charge the FAI rent for storing them :D

Dundalkjames
28/10/2009, 7:05 PM
Where will the stand be located?

Raheny Red
28/10/2009, 7:19 PM

Pitch-side.

Celdrog
28/10/2009, 7:30 PM
On the home terrace, across from the clubhouse and away shed.

holidaysong
28/10/2009, 7:53 PM
Will it run the whole length of the pitch or will there still be some terracing left on the home side?

MeathDrog
28/10/2009, 8:08 PM
Will it run the whole length of the pitch or will there still be some terracing left on the home side?
Honestly do not have a clue. They could just be installing a few seats.

Dundalkjames
28/10/2009, 8:23 PM
would the seats not be wasted in the home terrace?
I doubt the F45U would use them tbh

oriel
28/10/2009, 8:45 PM
Good luck to them if they can get 1,200 seats installed on the GAA ground side, it would tidy the ground up nicely. The capacity would be severely limited to just over 2,000 though I would imagine, that would be very low, but I`m always pleased to hear of plans for any ground improvements.

MeathDrog
28/10/2009, 9:18 PM
would the seats not be wasted in the home terrace?
I doubt the F45U would use them tbh
That could cause a few problems within the 'stand'.

iceman
28/10/2009, 10:49 PM
Interesting thing is that only a short time ago Drogs sought - and got United Park re-zoned as residential in anticipation of a move to Bryanstown.
How does an application to build a stand in an area now zoned as residential look?

Macy
29/10/2009, 7:16 AM
It's a fudge to get around that open, transparent process called licencing. Why would clubs take it seriously when clearly the FAI couldn't give a toss about it's credibility?

iceman
29/10/2009, 11:46 AM
I have no doubt myself that its just a tactical move to get around the licensing. They will be allowed to continue playing there because there is a planning application with the council.:D