PDA

View Full Version : Donal Og Cusack

lopez
27/10/2009, 8:59 PM
Really astonished that this bloke's decision to disclose his sexual preferences has not received a thread of its own here yet.

Personally, I wish him all the best. Certainly a brave bloke seeing in the world of soccer, no Gay has 'come out' and the likes of Justin Fashanu were ostrasized.

CF1989
28/10/2009, 12:02 AM
fare play to him for coming out, his interview on the late late was very good, very honest with everything he said. would only wish him all the best with the future

paul_oshea
28/10/2009, 11:16 AM
all the best with his book sales.

ah the cynic in me, i spose he could have waited till he was finished his career he has to go back now though and play so not completely synical.

joeSoap
28/10/2009, 11:41 AM
all the best with his book sales.

ah the cynic in me, i spose he could have waited till he was finished his career he has to go back now though and play so not completely synical.
Agree with this.

Its been openly known that he's been gay for a few years now. It is all about timing, and the release of the book. Most questions answered on the Late Late started with "Well, as it says in the book"...

All in all, the man's gay. So what. Good luck to him with the book promotion, and congrats to his publicist for the ingenious timing of his 'outing' to coincide with the book launch.

Lionel Ritchie
28/10/2009, 11:50 AM
Agree with this.

Its been openly known that he's been gay for a few years now. It is all about timing, and the release of the book. Most questions answered on the Late Late started with "Well, as it says in the book"...

All in all, the man's gay. So what. Good luck to him with the book promotion, and congrats to his publicist for the ingenious timing of his 'outing' to coincide with the book launch.

Was there any "plants" in the audience to create a bit of controversy? I'm thinking ...something along the lines of a comet-ee member who harked for a simpler time when men were men and women were men too? ...might have come out with something like "I'm not having Donal Og rammed down my throat" ??

Splurge
28/10/2009, 12:14 PM
im just amazed that it was a GAA player rather than a football or rugby player first. I dont think he'll get that much grief in this day and age, you cant compare it with when Justin Fashanu came out, million yrs apart in terms on attitudes.

OneRedArmy
28/10/2009, 12:42 PM
Agree with this.

All in all, the man's gay. So what. Good luck to him with the book promotion, and congrats to his publicist for the ingenious timing of his 'outing' to coincide with the book launch.......and serialised the book in the homophobic rag that is the Mail.

lopez
28/10/2009, 1:19 PM
......and serialised the book in the homophobic rag that is the Mail.Looking on the gaaboards forum, this is the problem people have with him. That and his work with the GPA (aren't we all entitled to representation at work, or the fact we don't get paid mean this is redundant?) The Mail is not just homophobic - as Jan Moir's article about Stephen Gately clearly showed - it's particularly anti-Irish, and has been for years. However, I don't think that the paper's capture of his story is because the blue rinse ladies in Surbiton would be interested, even if only to shake their heads at 'the unnaturalness' of it all. No, it's because the Mail has some sort of readership base in Ireland.

He's also done a deal with the Scum which in Ireland isn't seen as bad as the Mail, because it produces two editions: a hard line 'no surrender' edition for the Shankill Road, Sandy Row and Newtownards road; and a 'top o'da mornin' pile of rubbish for the intellectual equivalents elsewhere.

Of course people on the gaaboards have been at pains to say that their problems have nothing to do with his sexuality, and I believe them.
im just amazed that it was a GAA player rather than a football or rugby player first. I dont think he'll get that much grief in this day and age, you cant compare it with when Justin Fashanu came out, million yrs apart in terms on attitudes.
The question is how many current professional footballers in Europe are Gay, and how many of these feel they can not admit it? I can't think of one openly gay footballer in Europe. Say what you like about the GAA - and I'm no great fan of them myself - but Cusack obviously feels a bit more comfortable with his sexuality there than he would be in soccer.

Monkfish
28/10/2009, 2:57 PM
Certainly a brave bloke

To be fair it was common knowledge down in Cork for a long time and he hardly announced it the night before a Munster final against Waterford.

Done it to make a few quid on the book, best of luck to him.

paul_oshea
28/10/2009, 3:25 PM
The mail caters to the middle class stay at home wifes, hence why its anti-irish, goes back to the days of brighton bombing, Balcombe Street siege etc, not that those are inherently anti-irish, just very ignorant and inverted in their own right :D

lopez
28/10/2009, 6:59 PM
The mail caters to the middle class stay at home wifes, hence why its anti-irish, goes back to the days of brighton bombing, Balcombe Street siege etc, not that those are inherently anti-irish, just very ignorant and inverted in their own right :DThe sort of people who would have voted for Hitler then. :D

sonofstan
28/10/2009, 7:26 PM
Agree with this.

I'm guessing he's been gay for more than a few years.....