PDA

View Full Version : Next season

Pages : [1] 2

Hulsey
27/10/2009, 8:44 PM
Realistically this seasons over now, and easily the worst one since 2006. I'm not one to scream for the managers head after one bad result, but honestly can't see Eddie being the man to lead us forward. The lack of fire and unity on the pitch was astounding and for me Eddie has to take the blame for that. I know the budget this year made things difficult, but we just weren't difficult enough to beat. This is what cost us just look at Drogheda under Matthews.
A lot of players will leave in the off season and hope we get in a new manager to shape the new side. Cheers for what you've done for the club Eddie but it's time for both parties to move on

Cabinteelygull
29/10/2009, 3:42 PM
Understand the feeling but, realistically, who could replace him? Who's better than Eddie who could be attracted to the position at bray?:confused:

tippex
29/10/2009, 4:07 PM
Personally i think it would be a big mistake for the club to get rid of Eddie.
He's still learning the ropes as a manager and has huge amount to offer the club.

If they were to get rid of him who would they bring in? not too many around that I would fancy as manager except maybe henderson.

Roo69
29/10/2009, 7:22 PM
He's still learning the ropes as a manager and has huge amount to offer the club.

I'd have to fully agree with that.

KK77
30/10/2009, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=tippex;1260676]Personally i think it would be a big mistake for the club to get rid of Eddie.

+1

Hulsey
30/10/2009, 1:13 PM
I just can't get over how disinterested most of the players looked last sunday and imo Eddie has to take the blame for that. I get what your saying lads that he's still learning but I just don't see passion in the team at the moment, and without that we're in trouble

tippex
30/10/2009, 1:20 PM
I totally hear you about the players looking disinterested. But I'm not sure if it is coming back to a general malaise around the town about everything.

I'm baffled as to how the club cannot get more fans into home games. It is frustrating as hell and I think it is the same sort of issue with the "Christmas Lights issue" in the town. Lots of talk from people but nothing gets done about it (im as bad).

A town the size of bray should be supporting the club a lot better than they are not to mention the surrounding areas.

What I'm getting at is when the players came onto the pitch and seen us all on the terrace they must have thought "WTF" where are all the fans.

There just does not seem to be any buzz about the town about anything never mind the club so maybe that contributed.

peadar1987
30/10/2009, 9:43 PM
I totally hear you about the players looking disinterested. But I'm not sure if it is coming back to a general malaise around the town about everything.

I'm baffled as to how the club cannot get more fans into home games. It is frustrating as hell and I think it is the same sort of issue with the "Christmas Lights issue" in the town. Lots of talk from people but nothing gets done about it (im as bad).

A town the size of bray should be supporting the club a lot better than they are not to mention the surrounding areas.

What I'm getting at is when the players came onto the pitch and seen us all on the terrace they must have thought "WTF" where are all the fans.

There just does not seem to be any buzz about the town about anything never mind the club so maybe that contributed.

That's a good point. What must the players think when teams as far away as Derry can bring support that outsings us the whole game? That said, they're footballers, a lot of them are getting paid, they shouldn't need an epic motivational speech and 2000 supporters in order to give their all for the club.

bray boy
31/10/2009, 3:12 PM
Why don't Bray have a lot of fans?

We're awful at football.

We have a ridiculous stadium.

When we do get fans,they're turned off by the fact that they must behave like they are in a PG movie because we're the 'family club',when in fact we're a joke.

Simple really.

peadar1987
01/11/2009, 10:56 AM

We're awful at football.

When we do get fans,they're turned off by the fact that they must behave like they are in a PG movie because we're the 'family club',when in fact we're a joke.

Simple really.

You sure you support Bray mate?

Calling your own club a joke is never going to achieve anything. A sure-fire way to ensure the club never goes anywhere is to encourage negativity among our own supporters.

Seagull
01/11/2009, 3:30 PM

We're awful at football.

Simple really.
You're the joke, why the hell do you go near that'ridiculous stadium' to watch 'awful football'??

bray boy
01/11/2009, 5:39 PM
You sure you support Bray mate?

Calling your own club a joke is never going to achieve anything. A sure-fire way to ensure the club never goes anywhere is to encourage negativity among our own supporters

yup i do support Bray.

Talking about the state of the club on foot.ie is not going to achieve anything either,its just talking.

I'm not encouraging negativity i'm just saying what i'm thinking and i'm defo not alone in my opinion.

You're the joke, why the hell do you go near that'ridiculous stadium' to watch 'awful football'??

Eh because their my football team i travel up and down the country with them and i love em.

Seagull
01/11/2009, 7:28 PM
Eh because their my football team i travel up and down the country with them and i love em.

And you come on here to slag them off...:eek:

Grey Boy
01/11/2009, 8:20 PM

If they were to get rid of him who would they bring in? not too many around that I would fancy as manager except maybe henderson.

Yeah I'd largely go with that too. We cut our cloth and lost good players close season and obviously Paddy during the season but I hope Eddie stays on. If we had a bit more experience in our side this season we could have closed out a few more games (Drogheda at home recently springs to mind) but I think some of our players are amongst the best we've had for some time and will only get better (hopefully with us).

There's going to be some good clubs in the 1st division next year, will be a very difficult season, would be for the best if we had continuity. I think it's time the FAI increased the premier division to 16 and put the rest in the A championship with licensing the criteria for going up/down after that.

notever
03/11/2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah I'd largely go with that too. We cut our cloth and lost good players close season and obviously Paddy during the season but I hope Eddie stays on. If we had a bit more experience in our side this season we could have closed out a few more games (Drogheda at home recently springs to mind) but I think some of our players are amongst the best we've had for some time and will only get better (hopefully with us).

There's going to be some good clubs in the 1st division next year, will be a very difficult season, would be for the best if we had continuity. I think it's time the FAI increased the premier division to 16 and put the rest in the A championship with licensing the criteria for going up/down after that.

Its good to see somebody submit something thats positive,we must not forget that we are in very difficult times and all Clubs not just Bray are finding things very difficult with buinesses unwilling to spend any money so sponsorship etc. is virtually impossible to negotiate. At least Bray don't seem to have a noose around their necks like a lot of other Clubs who can only be decribed as cheats the way they did their business to the detriment of Clubs like Bray who did things properly.Surely its time the people at the top namely the F.A.I. did their job and punished these Clubs and gave credit to Clubs like Bray who beahved in the proper manner.

Green&whitearmy
03/11/2009, 3:39 PM
I'd actually have to agree with Bray boy, the club have tried with this 'family club' label and it has not worked at all, the attendances have been probably getting worse over the last 10 years which is when they have tried to promote this family club thing, can they not see that its not working and try change it now....

And as well as that, the ground is not up to the scratch at all, they keep making up plans but putting them off, then making temporay solutions to long term problems around the ground. I no it costs money to do anything these days but the amount they have probably spent on trying to improve the ground we'd nearly have a new stand with that money. I know the club dont really have that much money to do much to the ground but hopefully they get the planning permisson and get rid of the kip we're in now.

And before you all start moaning, I am a fan and just like bray boy I go everywhere to see them and barely miss a game every season, i'm just giving my opinion and if you dont like it ignore it.....

Weatherman
03/11/2009, 3:58 PM
I'd actually have to agree with Bray boy, the club have tried with this 'family club' label and it has not worked at all, the attendances have been probably getting worse over the last 10 years which is when they have tried to promote this family club thing, can they not see that its not working and try change it now....

And as well as that, the ground is not up to the scratch at all, they keep making up plans but putting them off, then making temporay solutions to long term problems around the ground. I no it costs money to do anything these days but the amount they have probably spent on trying to improve the ground we'd nearly have a new stand with that money. I know the club dont really have that much money to do much to the ground but hopefully they get the planning permisson and get rid of the kip we're in now.

And before you all start moaning, I am a fan and just like bray boy I go everywhere to see them and barely miss a game every season, i'm just giving my opinion and if you dont like it ignore it.....

I agree with you green&white, The family club label hasnt work at all, my personal opinion is that there are a few people involved with the club afraid of change, and afraid to let a younger breed of supporter into the club to forward any new idea's they may have, it is a family club but for all the wrong reasons, this is only my opinion now. i dont know what its like now but we wernt even allowed sing on the bus on away trips or anything! one time a few of us at a match were singing DEVO OUT and we where told that we would be barred if we kept it up, anyone agree with that?? you could not voice your own opinion at a match where you paid into while being a member of the supporters club! dont get me wrong i love going to the carlisle but the place is a shambles and people who think otherwise are mad! the dressing rooms are portacabins and the stand is a glorified marquee, even wicklow league clubs dont have to get changed in a portacabin no matter how nice it is inside.

Roo69
04/11/2009, 12:43 PM
I think to have a go at the portacabins (changing rooms) is needless. They are actually the biggest and nicest changing rooms in the League ! But the rest of the ground needs serious redevelopment.

Personally i don't think it matters what label we have on the club, we just don' have enough supporters to have a label or tag.

dublinwanderer
04/11/2009, 4:22 PM
I agree with Bray Boy and Green&whitearmy...

The club needs a complete change, and that starts at the top. Everyone in the club has been there nearly since it started, which is great and shows that they really love the club, but as has been mentioned, they are afraid of change. i think they should bring some new directors in (if possible) and even a new general manager with fresh ideas and a fresh approach to things.
everything the club plans for is in the future (which is ok on paper) but what about NOW.... So many plans for the ground and the club itself have come and gone, i really want to see the club making progress off the field now.
The club seem to wait for something to happen to react to it, example would be the wall collapsing - that was loose for over a year, should have been fixed before it had collapsed...
everything seems to be half done cheapily rather than done right and professionally... a new approach is needed.

Seagull
04/11/2009, 5:27 PM
everything the club plans for is in the future .

:eek:

dublinwanderer
05/11/2009, 8:36 AM
:eek:

yeah yeah yeah read on...
all i was saying is that, its all good planning for the future, but what about now, are there any plans for now? the club seems to push everything away and deal with it all later rather than now...
next season, i really dont know what will happen, i hope we can hang on to our squad and build on it and come straight back up, but i doubt that will happen...

tippex
05/11/2009, 8:59 AM
Guys to be honest the only way things can change is if we all become involved with the club instead of just being supporters.
There are too many "internet warriors" on here (I include myself in this). It's time for us to start putting up and get involved more. The more people involved with the club the more ideas and the more resources the club will have to implement these ideas.

Riddickcule
07/11/2009, 3:08 PM
What can we do?

The club is hardly gonna listen to the fans, the most unimportant stakeholders in the game.
Whatever happened to that "50 steps to make Bray a better club" thing?

All talk and no action, does my head in

tippex
07/11/2009, 6:06 PM
well I've been thinking about this quite a lot considering what the cork fans have had to put up with this season.

And now what has happened to Derry.

Gonna have a chat to a few people over the coming days and see if we can get a few ideas together.

Roo69
08/11/2009, 1:09 PM
What can we do?

The club is hardly gonna listen to the fans, the most unimportant stakeholders in the game.
Whatever happened to that "50 steps to make Bray a better club" thing?

All talk and no action, does my head in

That was an idea i took from St. Pats and tried to run with. The very very sad thing is that we didn't even get to half way on the 50 steps to making our club a better place. 18 replies is what i got, 18 ! supporters and fans just don't get involved enough in the club. Coming from experience a lot of fans ran really good idea by me but when it came to the crunch people only wanted to give ideas but not help carry them through.

There is a very small group of people who do pretty much anything the club asks them to help out with, but there are so much more fanswho couldn't be bothered. And people can't say they have never been asked because there have always been articles in the programme and on the web site asking for help - such as the volunteer programme in 08, i got 2 replies ! people just aren't bothered in my view and that's fair enough, it's their choice.

Riddickcule
09/11/2009, 3:36 PM
It doesn't exactly help with the whole anti-ultras attitude coming from the club.

Way i see it the club are so afraid of getting a bad name that they don't want teenagers attending their games, which makes up a large amount of the "market" in Bray.

As someone posted earlier that the fans are supposed to behave like they are in a PG movie, nail on the head really.
If you think about it our potential fanbase is pretty big, but it doesnt look like the club are trying to reach out to the town, plain and simple advertising is even lacking.
I'd agree with reaching out to the schools and all that, what about the secondary schools or the colleges?

peadar1987
09/11/2009, 4:32 PM
It doesn't exactly help with the whole anti-ultras attitude coming from the club.

Way i see it the club are so afraid of getting a bad name that they don't want teenagers attending their games, which makes up a large amount of the "market" in Bray.

As someone posted earlier that the fans are supposed to behave like they are in a PG movie, nail on the head really.
If you think about it our potential fanbase is pretty big, but it doesnt look like the club are trying to reach out to the town, plain and simple advertising is even lacking.
I'd agree with reaching out to the schools and all that, what about the secondary schools or the colleges?

One of my ideas was to sponsor bibs for local football clubs and schools. You'd be targeting people who were already into sports, so would be a good market, and every time they went to training or played a practise match, they'd see a promotion for the club.

Roo69
09/11/2009, 7:57 PM
Very good idea Peader, i actually really like that one. But as with everything it would cost the club money and we all know how tough things are for us in that department but as i said super idea.

In relation to promoting the club, pretty much everything has been tried at this stage, i know this from 1st hand experience. People are just not interested, i'll give you an example... Maybe 2 seasons ago, we played Waterford on a Sunday afternoon. I personally handed out 700 FREE tickets to local schools and local football teams. 35 people decided to use their free tickets.

Riddickcule, you've said - Way i see it the club are so afraid of getting a bad name that they don't want teenagers attending their games, which makes up a large amount of the "market" in Bray. I would agree with you there, the is a massive teenage market and even to get a small % of them would be great, BUT a lot of the young lads who do go to games let themselves down. Now i'm no prude and get stuck in with screaming and shouting myself but some of the language i've heard is just socking and personally i dont think there is a need for it, especially when you see young kids standing by and looking on, and then joining in...

tippex
10/11/2009, 9:22 AM
roo I would partially agree with that but if there are young kids there with their parents then surely it is up to the parents to keep their own kids in check and not the clubs responsibility.

naoise kennedy
17/11/2009, 7:40 AM
Can't knock the lads for there effort over the last two match's,, made loads of chances but did'nt put them away, that sums up our season..
Great goal by skippy but hard luck with the other one, but then again we should have taken our earlier chances..

Next season all we can hope is that we can retain a large part of the squad, i believe skippy is on his way out to bohs who can blame him, first division team to league champs.. lets hope we can keep a strong core...

pender,, foran,, deans,, mccabe,, couglan etc..

Lamper.sffc
17/11/2009, 10:05 AM
Hard luck lads. All the best for next season.

KK77
17/11/2009, 10:18 AM
Should have won the game over the two legs but as everyone has said already if you don't take your chances you can't expect to win.

As regards Skippy i don't care how well he has played for us over the years to do what he did was idiotic. Anyone with half a brain would have just taken it down and cleared it upfield. We had four minutes to play and all. The face on Eddie told the tale about what he thought of it.

ndrog
17/11/2009, 11:02 AM
hard luck boys thought you deserved something from the 2 legs tbh .youll be back soon :)

Riddickcule
17/11/2009, 1:24 PM
roo I would partially agree with that but if there are young kids there with their parents then surely it is up to the parents to keep their own kids in check and not the clubs responsibility.
Too right, overall the family club thing just does'nt work, we need to get in the teens and the young adults.

Roo69
17/11/2009, 1:41 PM

I know what your saying and i would partially agree with you :D but i do think their is a bit of social responsibility for the club.

By no means are we bad compared to some other clubs, i think the problem is that you can hear indivudal people because there are feck all people in the ground

Riddickcule
17/11/2009, 4:41 PM
When is'nt it someone's job to get people in the ground

Roo69
17/11/2009, 4:43 PM
When is'nt it someone's job to get people in the ground

I don't quite understand that...

jan molby
17/11/2009, 6:45 PM
why don't bray have a lot of fans?

We're awful at football.

When we do get fans,they're turned off by the fact that they must behave like they are in a pg movie because we're the 'family club',when in fact we're a joke.

Simple really.

should call yourself bray children on tour:)

lowflyingseagul
18/11/2009, 7:30 AM
the main demographic that goes to football at most clubs are working class males which we've never really had. quite strange considering the size of our town.

Roo69
18/11/2009, 10:17 AM
the main demographic that goes to football at most clubs are working class males which we've never really had. quite strange considering the size of our town.

Well considering i know a few lads from Bray who wanted Sporting to win the other night because they know one of their players from socialising says it all really.

lostinbrum
18/11/2009, 11:37 AM
I don't go to many matches because I live in the UK, but when I'm home I try coincide it with home games. I did get a season ticket for someone last season as they were such a great price.

A family club includes everyone of all ages, and regardless of whether you label or package yourself as a family club, you want to be able to attract all ages to matches. Hopefully teenagers wouldn't feel unwelcome because they weren't allowed to sing songs others found offensive.

Although there is a great sound for some matched from the lower end of the covered stand, I have to admit to finding some of the bad language a bit unnecessary. Chants can be funny/supportive/challenging without swearing. I curse like a trooper so I've no problem with bad language, I just think in the setting its not needed.

In a big crowd there is a certain amount of anonymity, but in the setting of the Carlisle Ground there is pretty much no escape from any bad language, so you can't even really seperate smaller kids from the area. Family club or not, there will always (and should always be) plenty of children there and a little consideration should be given. There is a difference between reacting to something on the pitch or letting a roar at the ref or players, and singing a song that might offend some other spectators nearby.

lostinbrum
18/11/2009, 11:49 AM
I was in Walsall's Bescot stadium yesterday for something and spotted a sign which I took a pic of on my phone. I don't think there is anything unusual in it, and no reason why the same wouldn't be expected at at any club.

Roo69
18/11/2009, 12:36 PM
I was in Walsall's Bescot stadium yesterday for something and spotted a sign which I took a pic of on my phone. I don't think there is anything unusual in it, and no reason why the same wouldn't be expected at at any club.

2 great posts, and pretty much what i was trying to get at.

I'm the same, i can curse like a trooper at times but i would always try and be careful as to what i say and how its said. I've no problems with chats of a slagging, funny nature etc. but i just don't think there is a need for the use of certian words, but that's just me.

superjohnny
18/11/2009, 12:48 PM
Rumour has it Derek pender wont be there next season. Heading back to shels :(

peadar1987
18/11/2009, 12:50 PM
Well considering i know a few lads from Bray who wanted Sporting to win the other night because they know one of their players from socialising says it all really.

Out of my group of friends, one of them now supports Bray because I brought him to games. Three of them now support Fingal to **** me off!

peadar1987
18/11/2009, 12:55 PM
I don't go to many matches because I live in the UK, but when I'm home I try coincide it with home games. I did get a season ticket for someone last season as they were such a great price.

A family club includes everyone of all ages, and regardless of whether you label or package yourself as a family club, you want to be able to attract all ages to matches. Hopefully teenagers wouldn't feel unwelcome because they weren't allowed to sing songs others found offensive.

Although there is a great sound for some matched from the lower end of the covered stand, I have to admit to finding some of the bad language a bit unnecessary. Chants can be funny/supportive/challenging without swearing. I curse like a trooper so I've no problem with bad language, I just think in the setting its not needed.

In a big crowd there is a certain amount of anonymity, but in the setting of the Carlisle Ground there is pretty much no escape from any bad language, so you can't even really seperate smaller kids from the area. Family club or not, there will always (and should always be) plenty of children there and a little consideration should be given. There is a difference between reacting to something on the pitch or letting a roar at the ref or players, and singing a song that might offend some other spectators nearby.

I know what they do in Stoke is have a specific "family section" in the Seddon Stand, where parents with young children will get their tickets. If someone is acting up or using bad language, they are asked to leave by the stewards. However, pretty much anything goes in the Boothen End, so if you want to sing rude songs and swear at the ref, you go there, and everybody is catered for.

Perhaps we could do the same at the Carlisle. Maybe have the end nearest the changing rooms designated the "family area", and ask people who are swearing to move down closer to Na Fánaithe? It's an idea anyway. The last thing Bray need is to be alienating any fans!

Hulsey
18/11/2009, 3:15 PM
Rumour has it Derek pender wont be there next season. Heading back to shels :(

I'd be very suprised if he either stays with us or ends up at shels. Have a feeling their will be Premier Division suitors for Pender.
On the topic of players for next year who would you's like to keep, and who do you's think we have a chance to hang onto.

Hulsey
18/11/2009, 3:18 PM
I know what they do in Stoke is have a specific "family section" in the Seddon Stand, where parents with young children will get their tickets. If someone is acting up or using bad language, they are asked to leave by the stewards. However, pretty much anything goes in the Boothen End, so if you want to sing rude songs and swear at the ref, you go there, and everybody is catered for.

Perhaps we could do the same at the Carlisle. Maybe have the end nearest the changing rooms designated the "family area", and ask people who are swearing to move down closer to Na Fánaithe? It's an idea anyway. The last thing Bray need is to be alienating any fans!

Think this is a top idea on paper, but with the small nature of the stand it would be difficult to implement. The far end of the stand is generally where the away fans set up if the weathers not great. Untill the dart side stand is covered unfortunately I don't think we'll see this happening.

peadar1987
18/11/2009, 4:06 PM
Think this is a top idea on paper, but with the small nature of the stand it would be difficult to implement. The far end of the stand is generally where the away fans set up if the weathers not great. Untill the dart side stand is covered unfortunately I don't think we'll see this happening.

I know, I remember being down that end at the Drogheda League Cup game and feeling very uncomfortable when it started to drizzle, and they all poured in around me!

I'm sure something could be worked out, anyway, even if it was to set aside an area around the half-way as a family section. I usually sit behind the dugout, and I find I can't hear what individual people from the bowling alley end of the stand are saying.

On another topic entirely, does anyone know if there's been any development on the proposed new ground? Or when we'll know for certain one way or the other if it's going ahead? I think it's a major opportunity for the club, especially if it roughly coincides with the opening of the Luas line to Bray. I would love for us to do a Shamrock Rovers, and with the number of people living near the area, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't

superfrank
18/11/2009, 4:19 PM
I hadn't heard anything about a new stadium, it sounds crazy to be honest.

We have a perfect location as it is right beside the DART and it easily holds our fan base.