PDA

View Full Version : Hoops bank on 'Richer' return

Ringo
26/02/2004, 6:31 AM
Hoops bank on 'Richer' return

Thursday February 26th 2004

THE prospects of Shamrock Rovers returning to Richmond Park this season hinge on a crucial meeting between concerned local residents and football officials next Monday.

Following talks in Inchicore on Tuesday, attended by FAI chief executive Fran Rooney, the residents were given a number of conditions attached to Rovers resuming tenancy at Richmond Park.

Last season, they were ejected following trouble after a league match against Bohemians which appalled residents and the local business community.

The proposals would limit Rovers to playing on Saturday afternoons, at either 1.0 or 2.0, while no league fixtures involving Rovers and Bohs would take place at Inchicore.

Plans for Rovers to move to Tolka Park or Dalymount Park have been scuppered and, with less than a month to go before the season starts, they must find a new home - their appeal to be awarded a UEFA Playing Licence depends on it.

Meanwhile, the Eircom League are set to publish this season's fixtures next week, once the outcome of the appeals over the UEFA Licences are known over the weekend.

While one or two clubs may be upgraded to Premier Division status, it's understood League clubs will maintain the status quo and ask the FAI to seek a one-year derogation on the Licence issues from UEFA.

Some clubs have demanded a 22-team league for this season while the game adapts to the Licencing conditions.

David Kelly

© Irish Independent
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/ & http://www.unison.ie

brendy_éire
26/02/2004, 12:39 PM
Hope they get themselves sorted out. Saturday afternoons at 1 or 2 would be handier for traveling to the games as well.

Dodge
26/02/2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by brendy_eire
Hope they get themselves sorted out. Saturday afternoons at 1 or 2 would be handier for traveling to the games as well.
Whats that you're saying abot Thursday nights...

:D

brendy_éire
26/02/2004, 8:13 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Whats that you're saying abot Thursday nights...

It'll be Saturday nights for the coming season, my friend. :D

Dodge
27/02/2004, 9:33 AM
Originally posted by brendy_eire
It'll be Saturday nights for the coming season, my friend. :D
And we all thank god for that...

max power
27/02/2004, 9:36 AM
a sat night out i derry would be rather good fun, i did some gigs up there a while ago and found the crowd very reactive......richmond at one on a sat would be great.....watch smackdown and football focus and then walk accross the road to the game in the sunshine all going well...