PDA

View Full Version : LOI fantasy football

peadar1987
25/10/2009, 10:16 AM
Has this ever been done?

I think it would be a good way to raise league publicity, if someone set it up, provided prizes, and got it looking nice. It doesn't need to have thousands of Opta stats, just work on goals for and against, assists, and clean sheets.

I was thinking of trying to set one up for foot.ie for next season (Just for the craic, I'm not in a financial position to organise prizes!). Would anyone be interested in playing it, or helping me organise it?

Murfinator
25/10/2009, 10:44 AM
I created a fantasy football creator template site before using ASP. Idea was an admin submits the teams/players/rules etc and makes it available for others to join. It'd have to be scored manually since I don't think there's an actim equivalent for the LOI and while it's basic it works so if you're interested I could drag it out again.

peadar1987
25/10/2009, 11:01 AM
I created a fantasy football creator template site before using ASP. Idea was an admin submits the teams/players/rules etc and makes it available for others to join. It'd have to be scored manually since I don't think there's an actim equivalent for the LOI and while it's basic it works so if you're interested I could drag it out again.

I was thinking of doing it through google documents, or else just by email, through excel. I ran an English Premier version a few years back when I was in schoolm, and I just found out who scored the goals, who got the assists, and who was on the pitch when the goals were scored. I could get pretty much all of that off extratime.ie. The only problem would be finding out who got the assists, as I only have the option to watch MNS live over here, I can't pause, rewind or replay it. That's the main reason I'd need someone to give me a bit of help. Either that, or I could just forget about assists, but I think that takes a bit too much depth out of the game!

**FrOsTy**
25/10/2009, 11:27 AM
http://www.eldreamteam.net/
What about this?

Cosmo
25/10/2009, 11:14 PM
http://www.eldreamteam.net/
What about this?

This was very well run by the organiser (Brendan who posts on here) of it last year!! Even tv3 were on to him when they'd the highlights to look at him organising it for their show the following year! (but obviously rte got the rights this season!!).

See a previous thread on this and you'll see he was up for setting it up again for this season, but word was mns said they were gona set one up so there was no need to set up two separate ones (but mns didnt bother their holes in the end - they shouldve just got in touch with brendan directly and asked him to run it for them as he really did it well!!)

dynamo kerry
27/10/2009, 8:21 AM
This was very well run by the organiser (Brendan who posts on here) of it last year!! Even tv3 were on to him when they'd the highlights to look at him organising it for their show the following year! (but obviously rte got the rights this season!!).

See a previous thread on this and you'll see he was up for setting it up again for this season, but word was mns said they were gona set one up so there was no need to set up two separate ones (but mns didnt bother their holes in the end - they shouldve just got in touch with brendan directly and asked him to run it for them as he really did it well!!)

I also tried running one of these a few years ago using excel. Massively difficult and I even have half decent excel skills. Also when I saw brendan's I thought "well, that's just much better"

An Admin nightmare but worth doing - ideally while been paid. a bitter labour of love if ever there was one.

stann
27/10/2009, 9:39 AM
I did one for a few seasons too, a long time ago, I mean years and years ago, when Colm Tresson was middle aged. :)
Was an email based one roundabout the end of the time Eugene Montague was doing his prediction thing.

But as said, eldreamteam was running nicely there for the last while. But not publicly enough, obviously!

peadar1987
27/10/2009, 11:52 AM
I also tried running one of these a few years ago using excel. Massively difficult and I even have half decent excel skills. Also when I saw brendan's I thought "well, that's just much better"

An Admin nightmare but worth doing - ideally while been paid. a bitter labour of love if ever there was one.

As I said, I did one up for my school as a business studies project when I was 15, it had 50 teams, and updated once a week. Entering all the teams at the beginning of the season took a few hours, but after that, I had it set up so I just entered each player's individual score at the end of each game week, and the program did the rest for me, and gave me a nice league table at the other end. Took maybe half an hour a week.

I think I charged €5 to enter, so I made about €100, and gave out total prize money of about €150. I don't think that would be possible unless I got a sponsor on board, which seems unlikely seeing as I'd be working from Scotland! Charging entry fees over the internet seems a bit dodgy. Nobody's going to trust someone from Shankill with their money!

Another poster suggested I run it on a website, so maybe if someone here has a company that wouldn't mind buying some advertising space we could have a small prize pot.

I'll try and rough up some sort of website over the next few days so people will know how it would be likely to look, and get back to you.

Acornvilla
27/10/2009, 1:11 PM
i think its a great idea? can whynot just use that brendan fellas site. get him involved and advertis the site on here? and get spondors on the website?

peadar1987
27/10/2009, 1:16 PM
ithink its a great idea? can wenot just use that brendan fellas site. get him involved and advertis the site on here? and get spondors on the website?

Does anyone know how to get in touch with him? It would save me all the effort of learning how to do internets! :rolleyes:

brianw82
27/10/2009, 2:51 PM
Didn't Vincent Hoey and Paul Doolin do one in Drogheda up until the end of 2008?

Cosmo
27/10/2009, 4:25 PM
i think its a great idea? can whynot just use that brendan fellas site. get him involved and advertis the site on here? and get spondors on the website?

He posts on here from time to time! Send him a pm