PDA

View Full Version : Kearney starts for U-21

Born A Rebel
25/02/2004, 3:58 PM
Givens has opted for a new strike force with Waterford United's Daryl Murphy making his first ever start for Ireland alongside Arsenal's Stephen Bradley while Liam Kearney comes in on the left wing with Michael Foley moving from the left to the centre of midfield in place of Glenn Whelan.

Republic of Ireland: Henderson (Aston Villa); Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Cooney (Coventry City), Paisley (Longford Town), Kohlmann (Borussia Dortmund); Flood (Manchester City), Keegan (Leeds United), Foley (Liverpool), Kearney (Cork City); Murphy (Waterford United), Bradley (Arsenal).

I hope he has a good debut for the Under 21's

eastcork
26/02/2004, 8:12 AM
Fair play to Liam. Not a bad way to make his u-21 debut. Gerry Smith who gave him no run for the u-20's in the world cup can eat his hat now! Well done Liam

piratemousey
26/02/2004, 8:54 AM
thanks liam for a great goal.
lets hope they leave you in the squad, which you richly deserve.

SÓC
26/02/2004, 10:13 AM
Kearneys goal was with his head!

Doyler came on player well too. He was through on twice goal but was hacked down twice. Once he got his free and the man was sent off, the other time, which was in the box the ref played on!

I've a feeling that Doyler is going to become a really big star for us this season if he keeps working like he has been.

FAI.ie (http://www.fai.ie/FAI/Welcome+to+the+FAI%21.htm)

pete
26/02/2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by eastcork
Gerry Smith who gave him no run for the u-20's in the world cup can eat his hat now! Well done Liam

I think he did get something like 15mins in at least 1 game.

Does that mean he now got internationals at every age category from u-15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21... Is that a record?

SÓC
26/02/2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by pete
I think he did get something like 15mins in at least 1 game.

Does that mean he now got internationals at every age category from u-15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21... Is that a record?

I think Denis Irwin got them all, and Senior too. Poor Liam has quality players blocking his path to getting a senior cap.

Druss
26/02/2004, 1:08 PM
Originally posted by SÓC
I think Denis Irwin got them all, and Senior too. Poor Liam has quality players blocking his path to getting a senior cap.

Irwin got a "B" cap as well, which is pretty rare. They should revive that. It would be a good opportunity to have a look at the likes of Flynny, for example.

Born A Rebel
27/02/2004, 9:01 AM
LIVE: Republic of Ireland v Madeira - 27 February 2004

The Republic of Ireland Under 21s will be looking for maximum points when they face Madeira this morning with overall victory in the Madeira International Tournament a real possibility (Kick off 10:00 Irish time).

Ireland are currently level on points with Portugal - who face Italy today at 12:15 - and manager Don Givens believes that a victory over Madeira will put sufficient pressure on Portugal to also beat an Italian side determined not to finish the tournament with the wooden spoon.

Givens has selected a strong side for the match restoring John Fitzgerald, Glenn Whelan, Kevin Doyle and Mark Yeates to the side after the quartet were all rested against the Italians.

Regular updates will be posted here during the match.

Teams:
Republic of Ireland: Henderson (Aston Villa); Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Fitzgerald (Blackburn Rovers), Cooney (Coventry City), Paisley (Longford Town); Flood (Manchester City), Keegan (Leeds United), Whelan (Manchester City), Kearney (Cork City); Doyle (Cork City), Yeates (Tottenham Hotspur).

NorthoftheLee
27/02/2004, 10:01 AM
Brilliant to see the 2 of our boys starting......great for the lads, great for the club.........

SÓC
27/02/2004, 10:07 AM
Never mind starting, running the show:D
Dolyer with two goals. Kearney with one and an assist so far, and they still have a half of football to play!

Born A Rebel
27/02/2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by SÓC
Never mind starting, running the show:D
Dolyer with two goals. Kearney with one and an assist so far, and they still have a half of football to play!

Maybe if Gerry Smith knew what he was doing he would have given Liam more than 15mins in the U-20 world cup. The guy has bags of talent