PDA

View Full Version : Rooney moves to form All-Ireland competition

brendy_éire
25/02/2004, 3:54 PM
from the Irish Independent:

An All-Ireland League could be the way forward for domestic Irish soccer, according to Bohemians manager Stephen Kenny.

The Bohs boss said he fully supported moves by FAI chief executive Fran Rooney to set up a competition involving teams from the Irish League and Eircom League and added he would love to see it go even further.

"My own view is that there should be an investigation to see if it is possible to integrate the Irish League and the National League to create one league," said Kenny.

"That's the sort of thing needed to capture the public's imagination and television audiences."

Last year Linfield boss Derek Jeffrey said he believed that an All-Ireland League was the way forward. He added that the demand for better standards was certain to lead to some culling north and south.

Kenny was speaking at a press conference to unveil Bohemians' close season signings from Shamrock Rovers, striker Tony Grant and midfielder James Keddy.

Grant, who played in the Irish League with Glenavon before joining the Hoops, also believes that an All-Ireland League would be a good idea, but he sounded a note of caution.

"Realistically, I don't see it working but it an idea worth exploring," he said.

Anyone know the details on this? I'd guess it would start off as a cup, but could be used as a jump board to an All-Ireland league. Cracker idea, IMO. Will benefit all clubs, especially those in the IL. Higher gate receipts, more media attention, more sponsorship. It's all good. Great crackin with it Fran!

Dodge
25/02/2004, 3:57 PM
So no mention of Rooney in the article then?

brendy_éire
25/02/2004, 3:59 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
So no mention of Rooney in the article then?

Not directly, nah. I've heard nothing about it, so a bit confused as to what it entails.

eoinh
25/02/2004, 4:06 PM
Oh please god let it be true!!!!!

pete
25/02/2004, 4:25 PM
Originally posted by brendy_eire
The Bohs boss said he fully supported moves by FAI chief executive Fran Rooney to set up a competition involving teams from the Irish League and Eircom League and added he would love to see it go even further.

Nothing really new in the clubs supporting such a move. Needs a public statement by the FAI (Rooney) & the IFA to make this new news as such.

IMO the eL needs to fully integrate into the FAI as only senior FAI people could move the All-Ireland competition to reality.

tiktok
25/02/2004, 5:00 PM
that's two articles in as many weeks on the subject of an aall-ireland league, with managers from both north and south of the border in favour of it.

I wonder are there stirrings behind the scenes