PDA

View Full Version : European Play-Off Spot

galwayjames
23/10/2009, 3:20 PM
Just wondering what people would think if there was a play-off between third and fourth for the last European spot. It would create extra revenue & give clubs like Galway a chance of making Europe.

sligored
23/10/2009, 3:47 PM
this wont affect galway this year unless they turn the table upside down.

A N Mouse
23/10/2009, 3:50 PM
Presumably you'd be looking forward to a Sligo v Galway encounter, for this play-off this year.

Can ye not wait to the graves are dug before you start dancing? :p

Da Real Rover
24/10/2009, 12:24 PM
Just wondering what people would think if there was a play-off between third and fourth for the last European spot. It would create extra revenue & give clubs like Galway a chance of making Europe.
Why exactly would the rest of us want "clubs like galway" in it?

Longfordian
24/10/2009, 1:27 PM
What is it with dundalkjames, longfordjames and galwayjames all making threads about fiddling with the league in some way or another?. Are they all the same person?.

Ezeikial
24/10/2009, 3:06 PM

It's an excellent idea to have a play-off for the last Europa spot from the league (normally between 3rd and 4th place, but possibly 4th and 5th place, depending on the cup)

It would give additional revenue not just for the play-off match(es) but possibly add an extra incentive for another team or two who are mid-table, thus possibly adding more excitment and revenue for those in the hunt over the final 10 games.

One of the few benefits of a 10 team premier is that teams have something tangible to play for over the last part of the season- anything that capitalises further on this is a positive.

A greater difference in prize money between each spot would also be sensible.

PartySaint
24/10/2009, 3:08 PM
It's an excellent idea to have a play-off for the last Europa spot from the league (normally between 3rd and 4th place, but possibly 4th and 5th place, depending on the cup)

It would give additional revenue not just for the play-off match(es) but possibly add an extra incentive for another team or two who are mid-table, thus possibly adding more excitment and revenue for those in the hunt over the final 10 games.

One of the few benefits of a 10 team premier is that teams have something tangible to play for over the last part of the season- anything that capitalises further on this is a positive.

A greater difference in prize money between each spot would also be sensible.

I think its a terrible idea, what if the team in third finishes 10 points ahead of the team in fourth and then lose the playoff and down get to play in Europe, how is that fair?

Ezeikial
24/10/2009, 3:22 PM
I think its a terrible idea, what if the team in third finishes 10 points ahead of the team in fourth and then lose the playoff and down get to play in Europe, how is that fair?

You can apply exactly the same logic to the current premier relegation play-offs and the 1st division promotion play-offs.

Obviously in needs to be declared in advance (with the FAI around you need to point out provisos like that!)

You find find any complaints (at least pre-season) from any team!

PartySaint
24/10/2009, 3:25 PM
You can apply exactly the same logic to the current premier relegation play-offs and the 1st division promotion play-offs.

Obviously in needs to be declared in advance (with the FAI around you need to point out provisos like that!)

You find find any complaints (at least pre-season) from any team!

I also think the playoff thing is ridiculous aswell but thats probably because we are 8th:(

Ezeikial
24/10/2009, 3:26 PM
I also think the playoff thing is ridiculous aswell but thats probably because we are 8th:(

Maybe automatic 3 team relegation is the answer:)

Rovers Maniac
24/10/2009, 4:17 PM
I don't like it, you have 36 games to finish as high as possible and that should be that.

gufc2000
24/10/2009, 4:31 PM
The 8th place relegation play-off spot should be given to the team who comes 4th in The First Division.

Dodge
24/10/2009, 4:37 PM
I don't like it, you have 36 games to finish as high as possible and that should be that.

Spot on. Terrible idea.

Euro play offs in Holland have been scrapped. Mainly beciase they were a gick idea in the first place

sheao
24/10/2009, 10:07 PM
Not a chance this would work in my opinion . The team that finishes in a european position after 36 games deserves to qualify. It would'nt be right to see a team in 6th go into europe instead of the team in 3rd as the 3rd place teams hard work is gonw to waste.

CSFShels
24/10/2009, 10:56 PM
Ah sure lets have the bottom 2 sides in the league have a playoff for a European spot, so everyone gets a turn ya know?

Ezeikial
25/10/2009, 12:47 AM
It would'nt be right to see a team in 6th go into europe instead of the team in 3rd as the 3rd place teams hard work is gonw to waste.

Slightly off topic - There is no little irony in the fact that Cork are almost certain to finish 3rd. While the "team" might deserve a European place on the basis of hard work in the face of adversity, the club most certainly does not.

Dodge
25/10/2009, 9:44 AM
Slightly off topic - There is no little irony in the fact that Cork are almost certain to finish 3rd. While the "team" might deserve a European place on the basis of hard work in the face of adversity, the club most certainly does not.

There's nothing ironic in that at all.

sheao
25/10/2009, 12:32 PM

Yeah i fully agree with you, for the team to be even close to getting into europe after what the players have had to put up with from TNB is some achievement . As a club we don't deserve to get a premier division leicence under Coughlan .

A face
25/10/2009, 1:07 PM
Its not really up to the clubs though is it? The FAI can invite anyone they want to take the place. There is a means of qualifing but the final say is with the FAI so how do we know what will happen.

Cork City could refuse it as well, its another scenario.

Kildareman
25/10/2009, 3:10 PM
As a club we don't deserve to get a premier division leicence under Coughlan .

Does this mean the club deserves a premier division licence if Coughlan is gone???

sheao
25/10/2009, 9:39 PM
Does this mean the club deserves a premier division licence if Coughlan is gone???

Probably not, but i think i speak for a load of City supporters when i say that i would prefer City to play in the First division or A championship under FORAS or anybody other than Coughlan who have a genuine interest in the future of football in Cork . He has shown that he is incapable of running a football club and must not be given any sort of licence imo .

Martinho II
26/10/2009, 3:54 PM
so what happens if cork qualify in the europa league and cork are relegated to the a league? it would go to the next best team but guess what it will derry city and the same thing could happen to them.. the whole things a farce to be honest.. :mad:

Ezeikial
26/10/2009, 4:06 PM
so what happens if cork qualify in the europa league and cork are relegated to the a league? it would go to the next best team but guess what it will derry city and the same thing could happen to them.. the whole things a farce to be honest.. :mad:

It could be an even bigger farce then that - what about Bohs, Derry and Cork all being disqualified from Europe.

Champions league spot to Shamrock Rovers, 5th and 6th place teams for Europa!!

A N Mouse
26/10/2009, 4:33 PM
It could be an even bigger farce then that - what about Bohs, Derry and Cork all being disqualified from Europe.

Champions league spot to Shamrock Rovers, 5th and 6th place teams for Europa!!

Aye, but then if you had this play-off galway would have a chance of qualifying for europe :)

Ezeikial
26/10/2009, 4:43 PM
Aye, but then if you had this play-off galway would have a chance of qualifying for europe :)

Galway could get into Europe without any play-off if they take 6th spot. Ditto Sligo or St Pats.

dcfcsteve
26/10/2009, 5:15 PM

Absolutely.

Why not go the whole hog and have a play-off for every place in the league - particularly the title.

Maybe the cup winners could have a play-off against the losing cup finalists as well to decide who should take the cup-winners spot in Europe.