PDA

View Full Version : Allardyce V Trappatoni, seconds out, Round One..Ding!

Pages : [1] 2

an_ceannaire
23/10/2009, 12:39 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1023/reids.html

Truth Meister
23/10/2009, 12:47 PM
Beyond the pale - Fat Sam is a muppet. Why doesn't he ring Trappatoni instead of venting in the press. Hold on maybe the conversation might get lost in translation due to Traps struggle with the English language - just like Traps comments did.

Classic case of attention seeking from this muppet. Thank god he never got the Irish job.

Wolfie
23/10/2009, 12:50 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1023/reids.html

Allardyce certainly didn't pull any punches there!!

Were Trapp's comments "lost in translation" or was there a more calculated reason for the remarks?

Following his impressive performances in the beginning of the group, surely Reid has nothing to prove to Trapp bar evidence that he is recovered from injury?

paul_oshea
23/10/2009, 1:03 PM
Are you saying trap tried to wrangle him out of inclusion for the squad wolfie?

I have to say allardyce has a point, trap should never have come out with comments like that when reid is trying to bounce back and get game time. They were very very silly comments to make.

magnumpi
23/10/2009, 1:07 PM
allardyce is such a tosser. "maybe i don't have the same dignity as steven" - too right, as in, he has loads, and you have zero, as you've been on the take for the entirety of your managerial career!!!

trap to apologise for expressing his view?? having seen so many players struggle to come back from injury??? - hardly think so Sam, seeing as you've not apologised for your part in the agent's fees scandal.

what a clown.

( it's not like Reid hasn't been praised by Trap before, he's called him extremely important to the team etc.)

KK77
23/10/2009, 1:08 PM
What next Fergie backing him up:D

Leeside Swagger
23/10/2009, 1:10 PM
Big Sam is a typical slugger, while Traps is a more wirey nimble customer. I fancy this to go the distance. Traps on points by split decision for me.

Morbo
23/10/2009, 1:13 PM
Maybe Trap wanted to rule him out so he could spring a surprise on the French when he does start him.

Brendan 82
23/10/2009, 1:16 PM
I must admit that I was surprised by Trapp's comments about Reid. He seemed to write the guy off a little bit and I felt there would be some reaction from the player at least. Reid is obviously keen to prove he can play again, for numerous reasons.

It's easy to see why Allardyce would be so ****ed off by Trapp's musings on Reid. What does it say about him as a manager or Blackburn as a club to be investing so much time and money in a player whose international manager believes is basically a crock? Big Sam would obviously go to the press to quell any complaints from the Blackburn community.

The reason Big Sam's words have that vitriolic tone is because maybe what Trapp said actually cuts a little too close to the bone. From Wiki:

"He went on to make 19 appearances through the 2003–04 season, though a hamstring injury would rule him out of action for three months during this time."

"Reid missed the majority of the 2006–07 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006-07_in_English_football) season through injury. A back injury limited him to three appearances before he sustained cruciate ligament injury in January , which kept him out for the rest of the season."

"It appeared that Steven's injury problems were behind him after a full pre-season and solid start to Blackburn's 2008–09 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008-09_in_English_football) season, however his injury woes would return, with another knee injury ruling him out of the entire 2008–09 season."

And so on. I hope Reidy gets back, but at this stage you have to wonder.

an_ceannaire
23/10/2009, 1:16 PM
Maybe Trapp was mixing up his Reids ;)

Drumcondra 69er
23/10/2009, 1:19 PM
The most approriate quote here is ''Perhaps I haven't got the same dignity as Steven."

Too right you don't and is there any chance you could crawl out of Fergie's backside anytime soon you utter tosser.

Duggie
23/10/2009, 1:23 PM
trap was more likely talking in general about this type of injury. i doubt he meant it in regards steven specifically the way the papers have presented it. all a story about nothing if u ask me.

macdermesser
23/10/2009, 1:26 PM
trap was more likely talking in general about this type of injury. i doubt he meant it in regards steven specifically the way the papers have presented it. all a story about nothing if u ask me.

It was probably Andrews shyte-stirring when he got back to Blackburn so that he can get a game ahead of Reid in the playoffs. I'd probably do the same thing myself to play for Ireland :-)

Leeside Swagger
23/10/2009, 1:27 PM
Lads, didnt Trap already clairfy this issue a couple of days ago through Brady or Tardelli or someone? He was talking about Knee injuries in general, end of story. Big Sam is a moron.

Predator
23/10/2009, 1:48 PM
Sam's just a mouth. Trapattoni is connected... big Sam could get 'whacked'!

an_ceannaire
23/10/2009, 1:50 PM
Sam's just a mouth. Trapattoni is connected... big Sam could get 'whacked'!

Apparently the Italian Media were more than a little offended by the Irish mafia references with relation to Trap ie Setanta ads, newspaper ad's etc.....didnt take the joke atall!! The again if we went over to Italy and saw ourselves caricatured as Spuds everywhere we mightnt like it either!!!!

jbyrne
23/10/2009, 1:55 PM
sure even by reids admission trapp included him in squads knowing he wasnt fully fit. thats how important trapp rates him. fat sam tried to claim that trapp was trying to undermine reid.... what a load of rubbish. fat sam and his type (hull manager etc) cant get into the news by achieving anything so grab onto nonsense like this to get their word in

paul_oshea
23/10/2009, 2:05 PM
allardyce has proved he is a good manager down through the years with teh limited resources he has to work with.

there are two types though those that can work on limited resources and still do well, but fail at a big club for whatever reason - there are a few.
Those that cant do it with limited resources but do well at big clubs.

There are exceptions to that and i think redknapp might be one.

Emmet7
23/10/2009, 2:05 PM
First off, I think this was a case of Trap's limited English getting him in trouble again.

I think he was making a general point about player's with these injuries, that from his experience it's a long hard road to recovery.

Alderdyce seems to have misread what he said. He's gone way over the top on this one. Expect Trap's critics, Pat Dolan, etc, to latch on to this now and blow it out of all proportion.

Alderdyce is probably still miffed he didn't get the Irish job.

Yard of Pace
23/10/2009, 2:12 PM
Remember Sam complaining that he'd have more chance of getting the England job if he was called Sam Allardice (pronounce: All-ar-dee-chay)?

He clearly has something against Italians. Tellingly, there's not a single one at Blackburn either....;)

as_i_say
23/10/2009, 2:14 PM
Alerdyce is like Lee Bowyer. Why the hell people still give the ****s jobs is beyond me.

LFCSixty/Eighty
23/10/2009, 2:14 PM
'He (Steven Reid) last spoke to Trapattoni a few months back, but insists that the Irish medical staff have been kept fully informed on his progress'

The fact that the last time they spoke was a 'few months back' is very strange. So obviously he included Reid in the last squad without even bothering to phone him up to let him know. I realize he has a backroom staff the length of his arm to call on to do everything for him but its surely not too much ask for him to phone Reid personally to see how he is progressing.

Sounds like Trap should be doing a little less chatting to the press and a little more time talking to the player concerned! Maybe then he'd know what exactly was going on.

Desyf
23/10/2009, 2:26 PM
Sam Allardyce.

Fat, obnoxious, horrible, tw#t.

That's my considered opinion.

amaccann
23/10/2009, 2:50 PM
*sigh*

Thanks Sam; a complete non-issue that was going to blow over now has the potential to blossom into a full blown controversy for no other reason than some simple breakdown in communication

Emmet7
23/10/2009, 4:18 PM
Remember Sam complaining that he'd have more chance of getting the England job if he was called Sam Allardice (pronounce: All-ar-dee-chay)?

He clearly has something against Italians. Tellingly, there's not a single one at Blackburn either....;)

Possibly because he had trouble doing under the table deals involving Italians in the past and has held it against them ever since.

I lost respect for Allardyce after he was exposed as a dodgy dealer in the transfer market.

CarrickFan
23/10/2009, 4:23 PM
Beyond the pale - Fat Sam is a muppet. Why doesn't he ring Trappatoni instead of venting in the press. Hold on maybe the conversation might get lost in translation due to Traps struggle with the English language - just like Traps comments did.

Classic case of attention seeking from this muppet. Thank god he never got the Irish job.

because he is a classless pr*ck...his teams are usually hatefull to watch and he is the type of couch who should become redundant as football progresses...always having a b*tch and moan about opponents...the fact he signed Diouf twice says it all about him

Razors left peg
23/10/2009, 4:57 PM
*sigh*

Thanks Sam; a complete non-issue that was going to blow over now has the potential to blossom into a full blown controversy for no other reason than some simple breakdown in communication

that was exactly what I thought when I seen the comments today

Stuttgart88
23/10/2009, 6:25 PM
If Allardyce even needed to say anything at all it was that Trap was misinformed or misunderstood the situation and that Reid was actually fine. No big deal move on.

As a rule I hate anyone who explains his actions by citing the "love me or hate me I just call it as I see it" line. To me that's just the same as saying "I'm actually very inarticulate and am incapable of offering a measured response or opinion".

rellik
23/10/2009, 7:01 PM
Have to say - I don't blame Alderdyce at all.

Trap was bang out-of-order in what he said - it was incredibly irresponsible claiming Reid's cartilage was "gone", forcing the player himself to deny it.

shakermaker1982
23/10/2009, 7:11 PM
Big Sam is just protecting his player and I can understand his frustration.

I imagine a journalist asked him about the Trap/Steven Reid issue hoping Big Sam would react and he did. The journalists go home happy and Big Sam is one of the lead stories on SSN.

Murfinator
23/10/2009, 7:12 PM
Allardyce is a moron, trap isn't some rival manager snidely remarking that a player of theres may never regain full fitness, it's equally critical to trap as it is allardyce that s.reid recovers fully. What he was talking about was lost in translation, he clarified it so that should be it.

This nonsense Allardyce is coming out with is not only unprovoked but unprofessional as well.

Emmet7
23/10/2009, 7:54 PM
So Trap should play a half fit Stephen Reid in a vital world cup qualifier just to please Sam Alleradyce?

Allerdyce is p*ssing against the wind if he thinks that's going to happen. Trap didn't get to win 23 major European competitions by being foolish or naive.

Trap is going on his experience. And rushing Reid back into playing as Allerdyce seems to want to do might be the ending of Reid's career if he gets injured again. Reid's injury takes time to heal and if you rush him back he could be out for months more.

What's disgusting about all this is Allerdyce's ill-educated comments. The man is a boorish lout and as has been stated above, his teams reflect his football philosophy, negative, cynical, not pretty to watch and niggly. A complete contrast to the Arsenal's, Tottenham's and Man Utd's of this world.

stojkovic
23/10/2009, 8:03 PM
What next Fergie backing him up:D

Sam is warming Trap up for when Fergie pulls O'Shea out of the play-offs with a bruised finger nail.

stiffler
23/10/2009, 9:10 PM
He done the same **** with rafa benitez last season.

Sam- go do 1!!!

dynamo kerry
23/10/2009, 9:51 PM
should have kept his trap shut....

seriously though.. I'm almost on allardyce'sside. Trappatoni has backtracked since but i reckon he was caught speaking too frankly.. maybe he suspects (as many of us do) that reid is unlikely to be the same player again and will always be perpetually on the verge of injuring himself again.

I hope its not true but lets face it. there are lots of examples out there..

soccerboy
23/10/2009, 9:57 PM
trap wouldnt waste his time squabbling with a moron like allardyce...as usual allardyce cant keep his big mouth shut!!

Crosby87
23/10/2009, 10:12 PM
So what is the bottom line here, does it look like Steven will be able to play in the France games or not?

Emmet7
24/10/2009, 12:24 AM
I seriously doubt it. Players returning from serious injuries don't usually play 90 minutes. Michael Owen is usually only good as an impact sub after returning from injury. Look at how Gerard rushed back and had to be subbed.

We have to put the Irish team first and Stephen Reid second. He may be a good player when fit but it takes time to return from injury.

I'm sorry, but it would be a mistake to start him against the French, too big of a gamble on his fitness.

seanfhear
24/10/2009, 9:05 AM
Trap slipped up here.
What he said did not need to be said in public.
Unfortunately I would think that Trap is preparing Irish supporters for a future without Stephen Reid. I really hope he is wrong on this but he must have his doubts.
He would not be doing Stephens chances of getting a new contract any good either so Trap has acted in an unprofessional manner in this case. He probably made the age old mistake of talking to press in one country not thinking that this will soon to be relayed to press and club in another country.
The first major mistake of Traps stewardship in my opinion.
A man of his experience should have known better but whats done is done and now the situation must be rescued as best as possible.

Yard of Pace
24/10/2009, 9:29 AM
The first major mistake of Traps stewardship in my opinion.

Mountain out of a molehill springs to mind. You're as bad as Allardyce! :confused:

seanfhear
24/10/2009, 9:37 AM
Mountain out of a molehill springs to mind. You're as bad as Allardyce! :confused:
Stephen Reids ability to get a new contract is being put in jeopardy with the kind of chat that was bandied about.
If I were Stephen Reid I would not think that was a molehill and I am no fan of Allardyce.

amaccann
24/10/2009, 11:51 AM
Stephen Reids ability to get a new contract is being put in jeopardy with the kind of chat that was bandied about.
If I were Stephen Reid I would not think that was a molehill and I am no fan of Allardyce.
How do you work that out? I'm pretty sure that the Blackburn medical staff might have a leeeetle more sway during contract negotiations than some random football with absolutely no professional ties with the club.

seanfhear
24/10/2009, 12:16 PM
How do you work that out? I'm pretty sure that the Blackburn medical staff might have a leeeetle more sway during contract negotiations than some random football with absolutely no professional ties with the club.
Why so defensive about it.

You could say that Stephen Reid has two boss's, 1 club manager and 1 international manager. If one of those two boss's calls your ability to do your job into question especially when that is a very respected manager then its the kind of talk that could do your chance of getting a new contract damage.

Trappatoni made a mistake. Get over it. Stephen Reid has come out and contradicted it so why can you not admit that Trappatoni made a mistake on this.

amaccann
24/10/2009, 12:36 PM
Why so defensive about it.

You could say that Stephen Reid has two boss's, 1 club manager and 1 international manager. If one of those two boss's calls your ability to do your job into question especially when that is a very respected manager then its the kind of talk that could do your chance of getting a new contract damage.

Trappatoni made a mistake. Get over it. Stephen Reid has come out and contradicted it so why can you not admit that Trappatoni made a mistake on this.

Where do I say Trap didn't make a mistake? Or be defensive? Trap probably made a mistake of language more than anything, but to suggest that some random press conference is somehow going to hold more water than a member of medical staff giving their view - on a known, medium term injury to a player in the club - is pretty silly. The only thing you can be sure of is that Blackburn are monitoring Reid very closely, and Trap's trap-wobbling won't affect that one iota

Emmet7
24/10/2009, 12:47 PM
To be honest, Stephen Reid is irrelevant to the play-offs and the Irish management team know that. S Reid is not going to be in the squad full stop.

I just hope this 'controversy' a manafactured one by the tool Allardyce, doesn't dominate the preparation for the playoffs.

The Irish management and Irish players need 100% focus on the difficult job in hand. People are not serving the Irish team by saying things like Stephen Reid should be in the squad or he is a better player than what we have.

100% focus on the French is what we need, nothing else, no distractions, no manufactured controversies designed to undermine Trap and the boys.

geysir
24/10/2009, 1:34 PM
Why would Steven's contract be put in jeopardy by anything Trap had to say about a medical condition. Blackburn fc would have to be inanely stupid to base any part of their decisions on a non-medical opinion which has no correlation with Steven's condition and ignore the valued medical opinion they have at their disposal plus their close hand observations of his recovery.

seanfhear
24/10/2009, 3:15 PM
Trapattoni should have kept quiet about Stephen Reids longer term career with regard to his injuries. It was a mistake but realy there is nothing to be gained from going on about it or even apologising publically as this will generate just more publicity. A private apology from Trapattoni to Stephen would be in order though.

Yard of Pace
24/10/2009, 3:25 PM
To be honest, Stephen Reid is irrelevant to the play-offs and the Irish management team know that. S Reid is not going to be in the squad full stop.

:rolleyes:

Razors left peg
24/10/2009, 3:28 PM

I wouldnt be sure of that, Trap has already named him in a squad this season. I think if Reid plays today or in the carling cup game next week he has every chance of playing for us. There is still 3 weeks before the playoffs and thats alot of time to regain fitness

CarrickFan
25/10/2009, 11:08 AM
Chelsea 5 V 0 Blackburn.......worry about your own team and job Fat Sam and never mind about Ireland.