PDA

View Full Version : Cobh Ramblers V Cork City - FARCE!

joe
15/10/2001, 12:57 AM
The scenario:

Cobh Ramblers and the referee turn up at St. Colman's Park for a noon kick-off, with no sign of the visitors (Cork City) who seem to believe the match is on at 7.00pm. However, come seven o'clock the only people at St. Colman's Park were five Cork City fans.

losing faith

joe

Gerry Desmond
16/10/2001, 3:36 PM
That IS a disgrace, Joe! Dunno where the blame lies.
I originally heard the KO was noon @ Cobh, but the eircom League fixtures issued prior to the weekend games indicated the KO was 7pm.

A) If the KO was definitely changed, it appears that Cobh & the ref were not informed...so that would explain why City were not there.

B) If the KO was NOT changed, how come City didn't show up at the later time?

C) Fans are still suffering through lack of information.

I was talking to different people at the Longford game who were unsure when the Bohs-City game was on. I've been informed by Bohs and the eircom League fixtures also concur, that the KO is 7pm next Saturday. Several people I spoke to thought it was at 2pm, others thought it was on Friday... The following morning a couple of newspapers had it down as Friday...
It's NOT acceptable whether the game is an eircom League match, an U21 game or a schoolboy match. Fans should be informed - they shouldn't have to go second guessing...

Gerry

pete
16/10/2001, 3:58 PM
Maybe the league should have a fone number (same charge for all the county) that cpould be updated every week with the fixtures & times? eircom could fund it with a "link" to their call centre?

Maybe this would be just admitting the disorganisation within the league & the fact match ko times are changed at short notice?

BTW congrads on those tickets Gerry.

Gerry Desmond
16/10/2001, 4:04 PM
Originally posted by rebel
Maybe the league should have a fone number (same charge for all the county) that cpould be updated every week with the fixtures & times? eircom could fund it with a "link" to their call centre?

BTW congrads on those tickets Gerry.

Excellent idea, rebel, especially with eircom sponsoring the league. A sort of a fixture hotline? I suggest you pass it on to Roy Dooney - I think it's a really good idea.

What tickets you talking about??

Gerry

pete
16/10/2001, 4:59 PM
Did you not enter the JW competition Gerry?

OK i'll plagarise Joes comments below & see what the Commish thinks.

p.s. easy to guess most of my education has been non-techie ;)

dahamsta
16/10/2001, 5:24 PM
Please don't say the € word on this site, it brings the whole tone of the community down...

adam

Gerry Desmond
16/10/2001, 5:36 PM
Did you not enter the JW competition Gerry?

OK i'll plagarise Joes comments below & see what the Commish thinks.

Yeah, I entered Johnny's comp; did I win tickets? Must check - 1st thing I ever won! Bernie can keep his slab of Guinness :o)
Thanks for letting me know!!

Got in touch with the Commish myself - awaiting a reply.

Gerry

Gerry Desmond
17/10/2001, 10:17 AM
Got a reply from Roy Dooney this morning. Could we have expected a response a fast as this - or any at all - before his arrival? Here's what he had to say:

''Hi Gerry
I am still trying to get to the bottom of what happened about the Cobh - Cork U21 match last Sunday. My understanding of what happened is as follows:
1. On Thursday there was a shortage of referees looming and the refs asked the League if the match could go back to the original 7pm KO time instead of the refixed 12 noon time. The refs could definitely cover 7pm, major doubt over noon.
2. League unofficially sounded out Cork City - they said OK to 7pm if that was decided. Cobh said maybe, would have to check with manager. Late Thursday Cobh decided they wanted noon and told refs this.
3. Friday morning refs told League that match was 12 noon at Cobh's wish and that at a push refs could cover noon. Cobh never told Cork - assumed League was. In my short experience in the League the onus is always on the home club to tell the away club of any changes.
4. On Saturday night Cobh became aware that Cork were still of the view that the match was 7pm. Cobh tried to get Cork to change to noon but by this stage it was too late to notify players etc and Cork had bus booked etc for 7pm match. Cork tried to get Cobh to change back to 7pm. In sum, it seems like a breakdown in communications and I will be asking that the match be replayed.
Regards
Roy Dooney
Commissioner
eircom League"

Thanks to Roy for his time and his trouble. I think playing the game again - rather than squabbling over who's fault it was - is probably the best option. I also think both clubs should have the decency to apologise to the inconvenienced fans.

Gerry

pete
17/10/2001, 10:57 AM
Got much the same mail too (he answering the same question anyway) but he just added at the top...

"Your suggestion about a dial up fixture line is an excellent one which I am going to look into."

;)

BTW i my experience he usually replies within a day later. I don't know if he efficient or just bored ;)

Gerry Desmond
17/10/2001, 12:10 PM
Got much the same mail too (he answering the same question anyway) but he just added at the top...

"Your suggestion about a dial up fixture line is an excellent one which I am going to look into."

;)

BTW i my experience he usually replies within a day later. I don't know if he efficient or just bored ;)

In fairness, he probably has enough to keep him going, but it's good to see that he is prepared to accomodate fans/customers by replying in person. I've been impressed by him in all my enquiries so far. In fact he's probably getting fed up with hearing from me so often at this stage!!

I'm glad you passed on the 'phone-a-fixture' idea too, rebel, best I've heard in quite a while. You should have your phone bill paid for coming up with it!! Hey, you can even call it 'phone-a-fixture' if you like and we'll go halves....:D

Gerry

pete
17/10/2001, 12:26 PM
Hey, you can even call it 'phone-a-fixture' if you like and we'll go halves....

A years delivery of programmes would do nicely ;)

Gerry Desmond
17/10/2001, 4:12 PM

A years delivery of programmes would do nicely ;)

I'll get on to our Commercial Department about it... :D

Gerry

James
17/10/2001, 4:14 PM
Gerry that was funny the first time and acceptable the second time round but your completely flaaing it now
I mean the poor commercial dept are going to be swamped with all this increased workload

:D

Gerry Desmond
17/10/2001, 4:22 PM
Originally posted by James
Gerry that was funny the first time and acceptable the second time round but your completely flaaing it now
I mean the poor commercial dept are going to be swamped with all this increased workload

:D

That's what they're there for! Especially the overseas interest...
The Cork City FC Commercial Department America Section is the busiest of all, though I doubt you'll believe it...

Always delegate, James, a lesson you'll quickly learn in the real world when your poor student days are past...

Gerry