PDA

View Full Version : What will the league look like next year?

pineapple stu
23/10/2009, 10:30 AM
What will the LoI look like next year?

If we assume all the clubs will still be around (which seems a big assumption to start with), how many players are likely to leave the league through going to England, retiring or reverting to the LSL or equivalent? Will all the players still remain, but part-time and at different clubs, or will the league become markedly weaker? I'm thinking option B.

Mr A
23/10/2009, 10:35 AM
I think it'll be more or less the same. The FAI will fudge enforcement of licensing, clubs will think 'if we gamble when everyone else s screwed we might win the league', unsustainable budgets will be set and the whole circus will carry on as before.

I really, really hope I'm wrong though.

Edit: That's probably really a question for a new thread Stu.

pineapple stu
23/10/2009, 10:48 AM
I think it'll be more or less the same. The FAI will fudge enforcement of licensing, clubs will think 'if we gamble when everyone else s screwed we might win the league', unsustainable budgets will be set and the whole circus will carry on as before.
I'm slightly more optimistic in that regard. I don't expect much out of licencing, but I do think bank managers are calling the shots that the FAI should be. Clubs finally won't be let run up the losses they have been. So if we assume that Derry and Cork (and Bohs?) suffer a Shels-esque exodus at the season's end, the question is will the league lose those players entirely?

(And yeah, I'll move to a new thread)

brianw82
23/10/2009, 10:56 AM
I'm slightly more optimistic in that regard. I don't expect much out of licencing, but I do think bank managers are calling the shots that the FAI should be. Clubs finally won't be let run up the losses they have been. So if we assume that Derry and Cork (and Bohs?) suffer a Shels-esque exodus at the season's end, the question is will the league lose those players entirely?

(And yeah, I'll move to a new thread)

Only the top ones. Deegan, Shelley, Brian Murphy, perhaps Powell and Faz will move to England or Scotland. The rest will either retire (Heary, Crowe maybe) filter through to the Dublin clubs or, in Derry's case, most likely to the IL. It wouldn't surprise me to see 6-7 of the current Bohs squad with Shams next year.

placid casual
23/10/2009, 10:56 AM
Dunno about the 1st divison but the Premier league will be altered only slightly.
Cork are dead so can be discounted.
Pats may or may not be relegated with either Sporting fingal or shels in their place.
Bohs will still be in the premier one way or the other.
The FAI will recoup their money from Bohs eventually ,when dalymount goes all 24hr with those nice people from tescos.;)
oh almost forgot.... Rovers will dominate next year and a good many years after that. :)

pineapple stu
23/10/2009, 11:18 AM
You're focussing on the clubs though, pc. I'm more wondering as to the strength of those clubs - i.e. the players who'll be left.

Mr A
23/10/2009, 11:22 AM
The league might lose a few players, but overall it's footballing strength will be little different. The vast, vast majority of the players in the league either aren't good enough to make it across the water or aren't in a position to move.

One would hope for a more even spread of players if the overspending is curtailed though.

The interesting bit would come if Fingal get up.. they seem to be intent on keeping the spending going.

Acornvilla
23/10/2009, 11:24 AM
their spending cant continue forever with the little support they currently have and if they dont get promoted in the next two seasons i would assume they will have to cut back? where is all the money coming from?

blue til i die
23/10/2009, 11:40 AM
Didnt McGuinness say that 90% of league of ireland players out of contract at the end of the season? Interesting to see what % get new deals.

EalingGreen
23/10/2009, 12:30 PM
Only the top ones. Deegan, Shelley, Brian Murphy, perhaps Powell and Faz will move to England or Scotland. The rest will either retire (Heary, Crowe maybe) filter through to the Dublin clubs or, in Derry's case, most likely to the IL. It wouldn't surprise me to see 6-7 of the current Bohs squad with Shams next year.
I'd say any who do move from LOI to IL will have to take a significant wage cut to do so; the days of eg Portadown paying Vinny Arkins a reputed £2k Sterling per week are long gone, plus Sterling is currently getting a right kicking from the Euro.

That said, if one or more of the big clubs in the LOI should go into financial meltdown, that must inevitably have a knock-on effect on wages in the LOI, with players being forced to accept reduced terms. After all, they can't all move to NI/GB/elsewhere.

Mr A
23/10/2009, 12:45 PM
The thing is- the economy was obviously screwed at the end of last season, and a massive proportion of the league's players were out of contract then too- so why would we think lessons will be learned this time round?

tallaghthoop
23/10/2009, 1:30 PM

Have to Agree with you here although i think the figure of 6 or 7 might be wrong i'd 3 max over in whitestown way. There was some talk of Jason Byrne a while back but i don't think he be welcome with open arms, then again MON won't be fazed by this as he has already shown with the mannus signing. Also seen a comment on the Fingal situation, i wondered myself where the money was coming from as there suport base is very small.

tiktok
23/10/2009, 2:44 PM
The A Championship will be the place to be with Bohs, Cork City and Derry City battling it out for supremacy, the lure of the 1st division and that sole play-off place against Kildare County can't be underestimated!

I reckon Drogs won't do as well in Europe this time around though, when they end up in Europa League Prelims by default.

baddebt
23/10/2009, 3:16 PM
Rumours oming out from Derry , that City have released all there players due to the fact they have been unable to pay there wages the last 2 weeks.

Mr A
23/10/2009, 3:37 PM
They can leave in the close season, but for now they're stuck where they are.

dcfcsteve
23/10/2009, 4:41 PM
Fudgey.

It will look very, very fudgy/fudge-coloured.

passerrby
23/10/2009, 6:38 PM
ok so here is how its going to go, ucd go up fingal win the play of spot ,bottom teams do not get relagated as derry ,cork and bohs are punished for licensing breaches , next season will see clubs in the premiership hoping for a cup draw againist a first div or A champoinship team for a good gate ...... go on laugh but you read it here first.

A face
23/10/2009, 10:11 PM
Reform, that will be biggest thing on the agenda for the FAI in the close season .... that and wishing there was an extra two months to sort the whole thing out.

Sending clubs back until they seriously get prudent with their figures is key.

sheao
23/10/2009, 10:20 PM
This league will be totally be part time, Rovers are probably the only club who have a secure future right now.

SkStu
23/10/2009, 10:26 PM
This league will be totally be part time, Rovers are probably the only club who have a secure future right now.

lickarses. :rolleyes:

SligoBrewer
23/10/2009, 10:30 PM

The structure is there, the loyal fanbase, the reality that they've overspent in the past but must stay tight now, the onset of an unexpected trophy will guarantee both long and shot term success for them.

Their ownership of their ground is key to long tem success. The unexpected cup money and will do the club balance sheet no end of good at the end of the year.

The Lep
24/10/2009, 3:54 AM
You could end up with a situation that none of the play off teams gain a premier licence for next year and cork ,bohs and derry. Would the fai allow that to happen and if they did then would that make it a cracking first division next year?

A N Mouse
24/10/2009, 11:27 AM
You could end up with a situation that none of the play off teams gain a premier licence for next year and cork ,bohs and derry. Would the fai allow that to happen and if they did then would that make it a cracking first division next year?

Might have to start showing it on mns :p

A face
24/10/2009, 12:16 PM
The structure is there, the loyal fanbase, the reality that they've overspent in the past but must stay tight now, the onset of an unexpected trophy will guarantee both long and shot term success for them.

Their ownership of their ground is key to long tem success. The unexpected cup money and will do the club balance sheet no end of good at the end of the year.

Shamrocks future seems quite bright as well :eek:

dynamo kerry
27/10/2009, 8:25 AM

Never thought I'd read this post. Plus ca change..

Mark
27/10/2009, 11:48 AM
Lads. I've said this before and many of you have disagreed but i'd still put them all in one league for three years and at the end of that take the top 16 and let the others go into junior football.

pineapple stu
27/10/2009, 12:22 PM
And we'll disagree again.

If a club want to play senior football, why kick them out? What harm are they doing? do you have any idea how much effort goes into running a senior football club, and yet you'd be happy to spit in those people's faces?

Mark
27/10/2009, 3:26 PM
god Stu, ya make me feel as if you're following me around this site. I can't seem to hide or comment anywhere!!!

Well, three of the regional sides i've spoken to - and you and UCD have visited this term - have told me that they would favour a move to such a situation. The LOI director himself accepts this. they will still be part of the football pyramid.

pineapple stu
27/10/2009, 3:30 PM
I don't recall replying to any of your posts before...? By "we", I merely meant those who disagree with you.

If a club want to pull out of senior football, fine. But let it be their decision to pull out of the league, not someone else's.

Redie
27/10/2009, 3:42 PM

Ya, the finances at the Showgrounds are pretty healthy by all accounts, no player five minutes late with their full wages the entire season, but I'd say say Shams are fairly sound as well!

SligoBrewer
27/10/2009, 4:11 PM
Ya, the finances at the Showgrounds are pretty healthy by all accounts, no player five minutes late with their full wages the entire season, but I'd say say Shams are fairly sound as well!

Old joke is old, and already made in this thread.

Redie
27/10/2009, 4:48 PM
Old joke is old, and already made in this thread.

If you say so.