PDA

View Full Version : Racism thread closed prematurely?

SligoBrewer
22/10/2009, 4:25 PM
This is over moderation of the highest order. A discussion which had some merit and wasn't being dragged O/T like most threads closed cause of a single accusation of "point scoring".

While SkStu only talked about Sham's recent racist events, this discussion should have been left open to ask was Bohs reaction to their racist player enough? Was Shams/Bohs reaction one and the same?

I for one would like this thread to be reopened.

pineapple stu
22/10/2009, 4:29 PM
Is this the most recent one?

I closed it for the reasons noted in thread. I think that after two extensive discussions on the topic, opening a third one wasn't really going to cover any new ground.

SligoBrewer
22/10/2009, 4:35 PM
Yes, the most recent one.
The reasons are fair enough, but I definitely feel that to close what was a fair discussion (even though it maybe was roundabout in appearance) was poor form.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but sure we'll wait and see.

If the thread was to be reopened, discussion shouldn't just be about the Shams incident, but the Bohs incident as well. They still have questions they're dodging while fudging the racist card on Shams.

dahamsta
22/10/2009, 4:37 PM
I'd have no objection to a general thread on racism, but any thread you start now will go off-topic whether you like it or not. Let it lie for a while.

SkStu
22/10/2009, 6:28 PM
i feel it was closed a bit early too but expected that it would be closed sooner or later due to the inability of a number of posters to stay on topic and address the issue at hand. I think opening a new thread would just descend into farce again and might also suggest that racism is a problem in football here which for the most part it isnt. I wanted to change the title of my thread for that very reason but i couldnt.

SligoBrewer, i would have no problem addressing the McGuinness incident as part of a general thread however you should be aware of the differences between the two incidents. We had a player accused of racism during a game. Rovers fans participated in racist abuse directed at a player on the pitch. Theyre quite different in my opinion as Bohs fans have never, in my memory, been accused of racist chanting nor have we been evidenced on TV as being racist. I dont think its fair to say we are fudging the racist card on Shams. Nor do i think it was fair of Pineapple Stu to accuse me of point scoring, it was a fair point to be made in my opinion.

I posted that article from BBC as an example how a minor racist issue can be used as an opportunity for a club to restate their anti-racism stance instead of turning a blind eye. Unfortunately that message got lost in the bickering.

Either way, i agree that it would be best left alone at this stage as it seems impossible to have decent discussion on it and i respect the positions of PS and DaHamsta on the matter.

Rovers1
23/10/2009, 2:37 PM
I posted that article from BBC as an example how a minor racist issue can be used as an opportunity for a club to restate their anti-racism stance instead of turning a blind eye. .

Not being a knob, but, did Bohs do this? I can re-collect Fenlon saying something about it not being part of the game and all. Serious question BTW, not having a go.

RĂ©iteoir
24/10/2009, 12:36 AM
iirc - the BFC Board released a statement stating their anti-racism stance coupled with the announcement of their in-house punishment of McGuinness.

http://www.bohemians.ie/news/club-news/136-bohemians-confirms-player-disciplined-over-sligo-incident.html

SligoBrewer
24/10/2009, 11:12 AM
iirc - the BFC Board released a statement stating their anti-racism stance

And then contradicted themselves with an in house suspension that was pathetic.
They should have sacked him on the spot if they wanted to cement their stance on racism and gain the moral high ground.

If you or me are at work RĂ©iteoir, and one of makes a racist comment towards somebody while we are working would you expect to be at work the next morning?