PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012 draw

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

dynamo kerry
22/10/2009, 10:25 AM
Takes place in feb 2010.

We're currently in pot three.

By my calculations a draw and a win against france by a margin of one goal would only be worth an extra 240 points or so which would make a difference of only one place.

So it looks like we'll stay in pot three for the draw. however, a couple of wins in the world cup would possibly push us back into pot 2 as the 4 teams currently above us aren't going.

however if we don't go, we're probably destined to stay in pot 3 for a good couple of years.

Especially as Poland and ukraine will go back in the pots probably in pots 2 and 3 respectively and above us as well.

http://www.football-rankings.info/2009/10/euro-2012-qualifying-draw-coefficients_16.html

none of the pot 2 teams are particularly scary. We've every chance of splitting the top two again in the Euro qualifiers.

Deckydee
22/10/2009, 10:30 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder who we will get in the draw in February?

Maybe:

Croatia
Slovakia
Republic of Ireland
Macedonia
Estonia
Andorra

:p

dynamo kerry
22/10/2009, 10:43 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. I wonder who we will get in the draw in February?

Maybe:

Croatia
Slovakia
Republic of Ireland
Macedonia
Estonia
Andorra

:p

rose tinted glasses maybe. Croatia would be a great first seed to get. We've not played estonia since 2001? I'm not sure I'd welcome Macedonia back but Slovakia could be handy second seeds!

Dun Laoire
22/10/2009, 10:47 AM
rose tinted glasses maybe. Croatia would be a great first seed to get. We've not played estonia since 2001? I'm not sure I'd welcome Macedonia back but Slovakia could be handy second seeds!

would be nice to get Estonia if only to get the beautiful women to translate 12 months

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T41ZRw45obs

;)

tetsujin1979
22/10/2009, 11:22 AM
So it looks like we'll stay in pot three for the draw. however, a couple of wins in the world cup would possibly push us back into pot 2 as the 4 teams currently above us aren't going.

The draw is in February, so the World Cup will have no bearing on the seedings for the draw

dynamo kerry
22/10/2009, 11:47 AM
The draw is in February, so the World Cup will have no bearing on the seedings for the draw

I must not have been clear enough.

The qualifiers/play offs will have a bearing on the draw

however I meant that if we went to the world cup it would have a bearing on the draw for 2014.

Apologies, thread should probably be called "Ireland in qualifying draw pot???!"

elroy
22/10/2009, 12:25 PM
The Czechs wouldnt be the worse second seeds to get either, they seem to be going backwards at the moment.
Def dont want Cyprus as third seeds again, Liectenstein from the fifth seeds would be nice, not Montenegro or Albania anyways. And anyone bar Azerbajan from the bottom seeds.
There isnt a huge difference in standard between the second, third and fourth seeds i.e. Im sure Cyprus or Belgium would give Slovakia a good game.

Gather round
22/10/2009, 12:30 PM
There isnt a huge difference in standard between the second, third and fourth seeds i.e. Im sure Cyprus or Belgium would give Slovakia a good game

Slovakia got more points than Belgium and Cyprus combined (including winning four of their five away games).

kingdomkerry
22/10/2009, 12:32 PM
Lets worry about the small matter of the world cup first

EalingGreen
22/10/2009, 2:18 PM
The Czechs wouldnt be the worse second seeds to get either, they seem to be going backwards at the moment.

Unless/until their new manager sorts things out, the Czechs are underperforming at the moment. That said, they still have some excellent players, so I suspect they'll recover soon enough.

Liectenstein from the fifth seeds would be nice,Liechtenstein may have receded during the last campaign, but I can tell you they were definitely not to be underestimated during the previous (Euro2008) campaign - hence their being seeded 5th.

There isnt a huge difference in standard between the second, third and fourth seeds i.e. Im sure Cyprus or Belgium would give Slovakia a good game.What is your basis for dismissing Slovakia? It certainly cannot be their results over the last two years:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/europe/teams/team=44002/fixturesresults.html
After a slow start to their campaign, they simply got better and better. And I suspect their late home defeat to Slovenia was a case of nerves getting the better of them when on the brink of qualifying, something which they put right five days later by winning in Poland.
Of course, it may be that qualifying for SA (in a more competitive Group than ROI's, btw) may represent a "high water mark" for them. Alternatively, it might just provide them with the boost they need to push on even further. Remember, Slovakia traditionally provided the bulk of the players when the old Czechoslovak teams were in their pomp - especially the 1976 European Champions (8 or 9 out of 11?).

dynamo kerry
22/10/2009, 5:17 PM
Lets worry about the small matter of the world cup first

just fancied a change from the usual 2nd gen/andy reid/tickets for france chat...

Cymro
22/10/2009, 6:59 PM
Liechtenstein are actually a tidy little side despite the small size of their country. Probably the easiest of the fifth seeds, but better than your typical sixth seed. They drew against the Finns and nearly got a draw with Russia in our group this time round. Although we beat them home and away the away game in particular was quite awkward.

I'd like the following group:

Croatia
Israel
Northern Ireland
Wales
Liechtenstein
San Marino

In my view we could challenge for 2nd place with the top three teams in that one. Conversely, there are some very tough potential draws out there.

dynamo kerry
22/10/2009, 7:06 PM
Liechtenstein are actually a tidy little side despite the small size of their country. Probably the easiest of the fifth seeds, but better than your typical sixth seed. They drew against the Finns and nearly got a draw with Russia in our group this time round. Although we beat them home and away the away game in particular was quite awkward.

I'd like the following group:

Croatia
Israel
Northern Ireland
Wales
Liechtenstein
San Marino

In my view we could challenge for 2nd place with the top three teams in that one. Conversely, there are some very tough potential draws out there.

I think israel have been replaced by romania in pot 2? still a good looking group!

Cymro
22/10/2009, 7:29 PM
Yeah, thanks for correcting me there. If I remember right, Romania had a mediocre campaign this time too. I'll just be glad to avoid Denmark from that pot - really surprising they're only on the lower fringes of pot 2. They seem to qualify for everything.

Other teams to avoid are for me Montenegro and Norway. Croatia are the best of the top seeds to get but for us it's largely irrelevant which pot 1 team we get.

I'm just disappointed we have to wait til February for the draw. Between now and then there's virtually nothing to get excited about. (for us)

Montenegrin
22/10/2009, 9:26 PM
I would be happy with this group for us:
1.Croatia
2.Slovakia
3.Republic of Ireland(becouse of fans)
4.Wales
5.Montenegro
6.San Marino

Gather round
23/10/2009, 8:08 AM
I'll just be glad to avoid Denmark from that pot - really surprising they're only on the lower fringes of pot 2. They seem to qualify for everything

They only finished fourth in qualifying for Euro 2008.

Junior
23/10/2009, 8:41 AM
I would be happy with this group for us:
1.Croatia
2.Slovakia
3.Republic of Ireland(becouse of fans)
4.Wales
5.Montenegro
6.San Marino

oohh you charmer......

geysir
23/10/2009, 10:06 AM
We are all Montenegrans.

Newryrep
23/10/2009, 11:15 AM
As nicked from elsewhere

And only Germany's group finished in order of seeding.

Here are the seeding pots and where the teams actually finished in their groups:

Pot 1:

Italy - 1st
Spain - 1st
Germany - 1st
Czech Republic - 3rd
France - 2nd
Portugal - 2nd
Netherlands - 1st
Croatia - 3rd
Greece - 2nd

Pot 2:

England - 1st
Romania - 5th
Scotland - 3rd
Turkey - 3rd
Bulgaria - 3rd
Russia - 2nd
Poland - 5th
Sweden - 3rd
Israel - 4th

Pot 3:

Norway - 2nd
Ukraine - 2nd
Serbia - 1st
Denmark - 1st
Northern Ireland - 4th
Republic of Ireland - 2nd
Finland - 3rd
Switzerland - 1st
Belgium - 4th

Pot 4:

Slovakia - 1st
Bosnia - 2nd
Hungary - 4th
Moldova - 6th
Wales - 4th
Macedonia - 4th
Belarus - 4th
Lithuania - 4th
Cyprus - 4th

Pot 5:

Georgia - 6th
Albania - 5th
Slovenia - 2nd
Latvia - 3rd
Iceland - 5th
Armenia - 6th
Austria - 3rd
Kazakhstan - 5th
Azerbaijan - 5th

Pot 6:

Liechtenstein - 6th
Estonia - 5th
Malta - 6th
Luxembourg - 5th
Montenegro - 5th
Andorra - 6th
Faroe Islands - 6th
San Marino - 6th

Serbia , Denmark and Switzerland all topped the group from Pot 3

Slovakia from Pot 4

blobbyblob
23/10/2009, 11:21 AM
Funny thing is that by going by the finishing positions of teams in the WC qualifiers, you are better off in pot 3 (thus avoiding other high finishing Pot3 teams)

elroy
23/10/2009, 1:52 PM
What is your basis for dismissing Slovakia? It certainly cannot be their results over the last two years:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/preliminaries/europe/teams/team=44002/fixturesresults.html
After a slow start to their campaign, they simply got better and better. And I suspect their late home defeat to Slovenia was a case of nerves getting the better of them when on the brink of qualifying, something which they put right five days later by winning in Poland.
Of course, it may be that qualifying for SA (in a more competitive Group than ROI's, btw) may represent a "high water mark" for them. Alternatively, it might just provide them with the boost they need to push on even further. Remember, Slovakia traditionally provided the bulk of the players when the old Czechoslovak teams were in their pomp - especially the 1976 European Champions (8 or 9 out of 11?).

I admit I am basing my analysis of Slovakia more so on the previous campaign when they were in our group. Im not saying they are a pushover by any means but certainly not one of the more fearsome teams in that pot. In my opinion they came through a relatively low standard group compared to the others. All of the teams were similar in class hence the reason it was competitive but doesnt necessarily mean it was a high quality group. The first seeds were poor in comparison to other first seeds, San Marino were possibly the easiest last seed to get and even Poland who normally qualify very well had a poor campaign.

Gather round
23/10/2009, 2:52 PM
Im not saying they are a pushover by any means but certainly not one of the more fearsome teams in that pot

Based on their performances in qualifying, Slovakia are one of the top ten teams in Europe. They obviously weren't in the qualifiers for Euro 08, and maybe won't be in the next series, but you never know.

In my opinion they came through a relatively low standard group compared to the others

I thought the standard was OK, broadly comparable to that in the others as far as you can tell from highlights. And while I think the ratings used for seeding give far too much weight to games three, four or five years ago, the whole point is to have groups of basically equal strength.

All of the teams were similar in class hence the reason it was competitive but doesnt necessarily mean it was a high quality group. The first seeds were poor in comparison to other first seeds, San Marino were possibly the easiest last seed to get and even Poland who normally qualify very well had a poor campaign

The first and second seeds had poor campaigns largely because they underestimated the strength of the others.

soccerboy
23/10/2009, 10:11 PM
slovakia looked ordinary in the last campaign but have obviously put things right...topped a group that contained a lot of their neighbouring countries so thats no mean feat....after our performance in the last campaign i'm sure the likes of italy,cyprus and bulgaria thought that we would have been an easy touch...easy to turn things around at international level with a bit of organization and tactical stability or vice versa....look at lithuania in france's group...won their first 4 games then went into free fall

backstothewall
24/10/2009, 12:15 AM
I'd like

Croatia
Romania
Ireland
Wales
Liechtenstein
San Marino

No tricky games in the former USSR. 12 guaranteed points. Trip to Cardiff. Handy qualification

mypost
24/10/2009, 9:19 AM
Bound to get someone from the last group, as always. Hope it's not Cyprus again.

geysir
24/10/2009, 1:40 PM
Azerbaijan would be the hellishly attractive 6th seed to have in your group.

Closed Account
25/11/2009, 3:30 PM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfaugbmhqlkf/rss2/

2012 playoffs will be seeded (at least they are telling us beforehand)

However, top seeds are guaranteed a Home second leg??

elroy
26/11/2009, 4:35 PM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfaugbmhqlkf/rss2/

2012 playoffs will be seeded (at least they are telling us beforehand)

However, top seeds are guaranteed a Home second leg??

This is a disgrace, AGAIN.

mypost
26/11/2009, 8:43 PM
I'd like

Croatia
Romania
Ireland
Wales
Liechtenstein
San Marino

No tricky games in the former USSR. 12 guaranteed points. Trip to Cardiff. Handy qualification

Ireland 1-0 Croatia
Croatia 0-0 Ireland
Ireland 1-1 Romania
Romania 0-0 Ireland
Rest all 1-0 wins.

24 points from 10 sleepful games...

Seriously, whoever we get of the seeds above us will be tough. I just hope we don't get any group of 5. 2 defeats and it's campaign over.

More teams in the group, buys more mistakes that you can recover from. Plus, don't want the ludicrous situation of finishing in early September, like the Iceland group for the WC.

magnumpi
27/11/2009, 1:07 PM
sorry mypost, i totally disagree.

another team in the group is another chance to f**k things up.

i really think we have a great chance of topping a small 5 tier group, which, unlike the world cup qualifiers, aren't at a disadvantage for reaching the playoffs.

More importantly, it's important to avoid the Militant Eastern Block countries, and far flung sht teams. you want a lichtenstein or san marino, not an Azerbaijan and Georgia types. - nightmares waiting to happen.

Romania as the second seed in your group and you've really got to back yourself...

backstothewall
27/11/2009, 1:23 PM
I'd like

Croatia
Romania
Ireland
Wales
Liechtenstein
San Marino

I must have been sniffing glue when i wrote that.

Croatia would be a disaster.

Give me France, Czech Republic or Greece please.

Junior
02/12/2009, 10:03 AM
From uefa.com

The 51 teams will be drawn into nine groups: six groups of six teams and three groups of five. Qualifying matches will be played according to the international match calendar between September 2010 and November 2011, on Fridays/Saturdays and Tuesdays. The nine group winners and the best runner-up will join hosts Poland and Ukraine at UEFA EURO 2012™. The eight remaining runners-up will contest home-and-away play-off games on 11/12 and 15 November 2011, with the four eventual victors also progressing to the finals. The EURO is scheduled to be played between 8 June and 1 July 2012.

A bit of change from the usual International fixtures.

foureyes
02/12/2009, 11:11 AM
From uefa.com

The 51 teams will be drawn into nine groups: six groups of six teams and three groups of five. Qualifying matches will be played according to the international match calendar between September 2010 and November 2011, on Fridays/Saturdays and Tuesdays. The nine group winners and the best runner-up will join hosts Poland and Ukraine at UEFA EURO 2012™. The eight remaining runners-up will contest home-and-away play-off games on 11/12 and 15 November 2011, with the four eventual victors also progressing to the finals. The EURO is scheduled to be played between 8 June and 1 July 2012.

they should say NOW if the playoffs will be seeded or not, and on what criteria.

in fact i'm going to email uefa to ask.

Junior
02/12/2009, 11:30 AM
they should say NOW if the playoffs will be seeded or not, and on what criteria.

in fact i'm going to email uefa to ask.

Read some of the other posts. It will be seeded and the seeded team will be home in the 2nd game.

foureyes
02/12/2009, 11:47 AM
Read some of the other posts. It will be seeded and the seeded team will be home in the 2nd game.

cheers, i overlooked that.

SuperDave
02/12/2009, 3:24 PM
From uefa.com

It's another example of club power. Clubs were pis*sed off with players only getting back on friday nights from wednesday games in peru, azerbaijan, timbuktu etc so lobbied hard, with the result being friday night games (i'm sure LOI will be happy!) cutting a day out of international prep time (there being no league games since the previous monday) and bringing the midweeks forward to tuesday to give the clubs an extra day.

Fair for big clubs, hard luck for little clubs and international teams.

jo84
02/12/2009, 6:33 PM
It's another example of club power. Clubs were pis*sed off with players only getting back on friday nights from wednesday games in peru, azerbaijan, timbuktu etc so lobbied hard, with the result being friday night games (i'm sure LOI will be happy!) cutting a day out of international prep time (there being no league games since the previous monday) and bringing the midweeks forward to tuesday to give the clubs an extra day.

Fair for big clubs, hard luck for little clubs and international teams.

Agreed that its sh1t but apparently teams can decide at the fixtures meeting if they want to play on friday or saturday. so if its not a double-header, saturday is still fine, so teams still get an extra day to prepare. the friday option is there for the double headers, because tuesday is now compulsory, if teams want 4 days between games still, they can play friday and tues.

Greenforever
02/12/2009, 7:45 PM
Completely against Fri matches as the athmosphere at home would be poorer similar to a Weds night or Sat afternoon. For Fri away matches its another day off work.

Tuesday wont be any different from Wednesday except for 1 less day off work for away games as we'd do Sun to Weds instead of Mon to Thurs.

Champions League teams are used to playing Sat / Tues or Sun / Weds so it shouldnt be a problem and will most likely be the same for all.

The only potential spanner is if Countries dont have to choose there dates at the fixtures meetings it makes it more difficult to plan ahead if you are not sure of match dates, and TV rights will then influence what dates, for example Sky will pay more for us to play on a Fri if there are no other "home nations" playing that night etc.

Hibernian
03/12/2009, 1:17 AM
I really cant believe that UEFA are going get away with the seedings again. I mean to have the seeded team at Home second? I mean I would not mind if it was based on the four best runners up on points getting home advantage but this is another new low.

Colbert Report
03/12/2009, 1:57 AM
Drawing Slovakia would be a disaster.

Wolfie
03/12/2009, 1:07 PM
We're due to get England. We've not been in their group since '92 qualifiers.

Deckydee
19/01/2010, 10:26 AM
Gents,

The clock is ticking! Its only a couple of weeks away now. Actually I would like to get England, it has indeed been a long time!

Deckydee
19/01/2010, 10:28 AM
We're due to get England. We've not been in their group since '92 qualifiers.

Actually just thinking about it now. I think we were in our prime back then. If only Houghton has not missed that sitter in Wembly....

Wolfie
19/01/2010, 12:24 PM
Actually just thinking about it now. I think we were in our prime back then. If only Houghton has not missed that sitter in Wembly....

Our implosion against Poland away cost us. 3 - 1 up with what, ten to go?

Come to think of it, we didn't beat them at Lansdowne either.

Bottom line was we went through the group unbeaten but our failure to capitalise on games we dominated cost us.

How times have changed!!

pineapple stu
19/01/2010, 12:26 PM
Come to think of it, we didn't beat them at Lansdowne either.
I remember RTÉ News straight after having as its main news story how Ireland had held Poland at Lansdowne Road. Yay us!

Wolfie
19/01/2010, 12:29 PM
I remember RTÉ News straight after having as its main news story how Ireland had held Poland at Lansdowne Road. Yay us!

It was 19 years ago but that game was a very frustrating game for us.

I think I can remember an effort from McGrath clipping the post and Houghton had a half chance as well.

Poland defended quite deep and we couldn't break them down.

tetsujin1979
19/01/2010, 12:36 PM
We had a clear penalty denied as well, Quinn was clearly held back in the penalty area as he stretched to connect with the ball

SuperDave
20/01/2010, 1:07 PM
7th Feb.... The draw is on a Sunday? Is it not usually a Friday? Strange.... hopefully it is more than just SSN (I don't have it at home).

DeLorean
20/01/2010, 1:21 PM

That's unbelievable!! I had just become a bit fanatical about soccer in the months before that qualifying campaign, suppose the '90 WC really although I had little interest at the beginning of the tournament. I remember the general consensus was that we had blown it after that draw though, as we had already played England twice. After the 3-3 in Poland though there were some saying that we were better off having blown the lead, as Poland still had a slight chance of progress and therefore would try harder against England in the final match. We were by far the best team in the group, trashing Turkey twice while England scraped two fortunate 1-0's, with the Turks hitting the bar at Wembley. We also completely dominated at Wembley, I'll never forget the spell of pressure for the 10-15mins before Quinn's equaliser. Moran also had a goal disallowed against Poland in the 0-0, foul on the keeper I think, or so the ref said.

pineapple stu
20/01/2010, 1:24 PM
7th Feb.... The draw is on a Sunday? Is it not usually a Friday? Strange.... hopefully it is more than just SSN (I don't have it at home).
The last draw was on a Sunday too, I'm pretty sure.