PDA

View Full Version : Ford FAI Cup Semi Finals this weekend.

Pages : [1] 2 3

**FrOsTy**
22/10/2009, 12:42 AM
Sligo Rovers v Waterford United 7.35pm The Showgrounds

Sporting Fingal v Bray Wanderers 3.05 The Morton

How do people see these games turning out?

Personally, and unbiased I can se us turning over Sligo. We've only lost twice away from home all season in all competitions so our 6-1 odds with pp look to be decent enough.

I think Sporting will have to much class for Bray in the other game which would set up a Fingal v Waterford final with possibly the worst ever attendance at an FAI Cup final ever!

PartySaint
22/10/2009, 12:44 AM
Im not really bothered who gets to the final as long as its not Fingal

dcfcsteve
22/10/2009, 2:38 AM
I'd have to pray for a Sligo-Bray final pairing to ensure that somebody actually turns up to watch the game, but even then I'm not convinced the attendance would exceed 5-6,000.

Are both semis live on RTE ?

The Lep
22/10/2009, 4:49 AM
Im not really bothered who gets to the final as long as its not Fingal

I hope you lose in the play offs :D

Great post by the way.

The Lep
22/10/2009, 5:02 AM
I'd have to pray for a Sligo-Bray final pairing to ensure that somebody actually turns up to watch the game, but even then I'm not convinced the attendance would exceed 5-6,000.

Are both semis live on RTE ?

Yes.

Is 6,000 the max attendance for the final?

We would have to see on the day how much we would bring.
Bray could bring a large following to the final and
Sligo the same but i think Waterford would bring the most. They had a fair few in lansdowne against longford a few years ago and their is no reason why they wouldnt have roughly the same this time.
IF Sporting Fingal get to the final and the Fingal public get the cup fever then its quite possible that a Waterford V Fingal Final could have a very large turn out.

BohsPartisan
22/10/2009, 7:37 AM
Sligo will win the cup. Other finalist? Fingal.

Fester
22/10/2009, 8:55 AM
I reckon Sligo Rovers v Fingal in the Final. Sligo have good support in Dublin anyway. Reckon it would be a good turnout. Sligo, Waterford would probably be a sellout even tough Waterford at getting poor att. this season.

Rovers Maniac
22/10/2009, 9:01 AM
Sorry lads but what is the capcit of the final, i thought they were going to make it 12k or are they seeing who gets into the final now or is that a not correct will the final be capacity of only 6k?

dcfcsteve
22/10/2009, 10:45 AM
Yes.

If Fingal get there, I'd guess it'd be 4,000.... ;)

dcfcsteve
22/10/2009, 10:48 AM
Sorry lads but what is the capcit of the final, i thought they were going to make it 12k or are they seeing who gets into the final now or is that a not correct will the final be capacity of only 6k?

Assuming the final is in Tallaght, it would make total sense for the FAI to wait to see who gets there and then follow ticket sales closely before committing itself to any capacity extension beyond the two fixed stands there. Have temporary stands teed-up, but don't commit to them unless demand is looking very strong.

Wasn't the lowest attendance in recent years the Longford v Waterford final at Lansdowne ? :confused:

Mr Maroon
22/10/2009, 11:06 AM
Hope Waterford win.

Rovers Maniac
22/10/2009, 11:14 AM
Hope Waterford win.

I bet you do Mr Maroon :D:p

thischarmingman
22/10/2009, 11:24 AM

Can see Waterford beating Sligo, it's the sort of trick the footballing Gods usually pull; beat both the reigning league and cup holders and last years runners-up, lose to a First Division team.

Given Bray's form, it's hard to see past a Fingal win there, but I reckon they might pull it out of the bag.

I'm going to go for a Waterford-Bray cup final.

Raheny Red
22/10/2009, 11:37 AM
Hopefully a Sligo/Fungal final.

superfrank
22/10/2009, 12:13 PM
Going on form, it'll be Sligo and Fingal and I reckon Sligo would win that.

Sligo are on a great run at the moment and they're beating everybody. Waterford have hit a dip and I don't see them improving for this one. We are doing crap and I can easily see Sporting beating us by two or three.

PartySaint
22/10/2009, 12:43 PM

Great post by the way.

Yep 4,000 Sligo fans and 12 Fingal fans, it would be a great atmosphere

OneForTheFuture
22/10/2009, 12:45 PM
Don't be slagging attendances people......

It will be a 1st Division final with 25,000 people paying in to watch a moved final in Croke Park.

;)

But seriously I reckon a Sligo - Fingal final. And a great match to boot.

Schumi
22/10/2009, 12:49 PM
I hope they beat Shels in the playoff.

A Sligo v Fingal final is the most likely I'd say.

The Betting Man
22/10/2009, 1:25 PM
A sligo v Fingal final with Sligo to win it

BrayUnknowns
22/10/2009, 1:26 PM

Personally, and unbiased I can se us turning over Sligo. We've only lost twice away from home all season in all competitions so our 6-1 odds with pp look to be decent enough.

I think Sporting will have to much class for Bray in the other game which would set up a Fingal v Waterford final with possibly the worst ever attendance at an FAI Cup final ever!

Sporting v Bray kicks off at 4.05

dublinred
22/10/2009, 1:30 PM
Yep 4,000 Sligo fans and 12 Fingal fans, it would be a great atmosphere

If it was a Sligo v Fingal final we would get all the sunshiners out and would easily get 5k tickets sold considering we sold 10k in 1994 , likewise fingal would pull a good crowd also Bray and Waterford would also get at least 5k fans on the day so stupid to think about having a final in a 6k capacity ground.I live in Fingal and loads of lads in the pub are on about going to the final if they make it there was a lot of excitment after the win against shams and they are doing serious marketing in the area at the moment they even had the FAI Cup on display in the swords pavilions last week when selling tickets for the semis , there is also plenty of posters up and a lot of flyers wiht the local papers there was a very good one booklet this week so can't fault them for effort but I do think they took the wrong approach at the outset , SDCC built a ground and got an established team to move in where as Fingal are trying to build a team first then sort out a ground would of made sense for them and shels to have done a deal and have Fingal Shels playing out of Tolka/Morton until Lusk is built.

holidaysong
22/10/2009, 1:50 PM
I hope whoever wins is in the Premier Division next year or they'll get destroyed in the Europa League.

Raheny Red
22/10/2009, 1:52 PM
I hope whoever wins is in the Premier Division next year or they'll get destroyed in the Europa League.

Neither of them would stand a chance.

eL Bettor
22/10/2009, 1:53 PM

and Setanta cup :cool:

marinobohs
22/10/2009, 1:56 PM

Will no doubt put the kiss of death on them but Sligo and Bray to progress (rush to bookies to back Waterford and Fingal) after tight games.

eL Bettor
22/10/2009, 2:00 PM
Waterford to win in a replay :D

holidaysong
22/10/2009, 2:08 PM
Neither of them would stand a chance.

Sligo might learn from their defeat to the Albanians and do better.. A Premier Division Fingal would probably have a strong squad and could do alright.

and Setanta cup :cool:

They can get destroyed in that for all I care.

tallaghthoop
22/10/2009, 2:12 PM
Would love to see a Sligo v Fingal final, great game for the both set of supporters and a great game for the neutral supporter which i am, i will defo attend the game if these 2 make the final, although it will hurt seeing another team lift a trophy in Tallaght before we do if we don't win the league.:D

Lamper.sffc
22/10/2009, 3:48 PM
Cant wait for this now:). How many do Bray think they will bring up to Morton? The more we get the better the atmosphere.

Martinho II
22/10/2009, 5:02 PM
[QUOTE=The Lep;1255741]Yes.

Sligo the same but i think Waterford would bring the most. They had a fair few in lansdowne against longford a few years ago and their is no reason why they wouldnt have roughly the same this time.

In the cup final in 2004 waterford only brought 3000 people and we brought up 4000 people or so.. I cant see waterford bringin anymore if they get to the cup final.. In fact it will be less..

Martinho II
22/10/2009, 5:03 PM
Assuming the final is in Tallaght, it would make total sense for the FAI to wait to see who gets there and then follow ticket sales closely before committing itself to any capacity extension beyond the two fixed stands there. Have temporary stands teed-up, but don't commit to them unless demand is looking very strong.

Wasn't the lowest attendance in recent years the Longford v Waterford final at Lansdowne ? :confused:

yep dcsteve thats correct :(

GalwayRed
22/10/2009, 6:04 PM
I hope its a Sligo-Fingal final. I think that would serve us best on the run in.
As for the attendence. I reckon sligo could get 5000 or so up. The always seem to have a strong support. I reckon Bray could attract a good crowd as well especially seeing as they're quite close to Tallaght. Waterford I suppose would get similar to the crowd they brought to Lansdowne Road in 04. As for Fingal. Im not sure really. I'm from Swords and I know a few people who would talk about the club but not go so it would be interesting to see how many of them would head along to Tallaght if Fingal got there. Could be a good crowd anyway.

RonnieB
22/10/2009, 6:20 PM
Really would like to see Sligo win the whole lot. Best of luck to ye lads.

Raheny Red
22/10/2009, 7:09 PM
Cant wait for this now:). How many do Bray think they will bring up to Morton? The more we get the better the atmosphere.

It's the most soulless ground in the country, impossible for any sort of atmosphere to be created.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
22/10/2009, 8:27 PM
I'm going for a Blues - Fingal final.

sligofan4ever
22/10/2009, 8:41 PM
Rovers-Fingal finaL i'll go for. We've been underdogs the whole way through, now we're in a position where we are capable of winning the cup, we currently have the best crop of players out of 4 teams left IMO. We've played fingal in the league cup and beat them 1-0, now we've got a stronger team on a run that has seen lose just one of 14/15 games stretching back to August! Waterford are without Kiely and Devine, thats a massive blow for tomorrow, and personally, as good as Cummins, I doubt he really knows what hes up against when e plays against Peers and Keane, nothing like playing against a first division defence!

Mad Moose
22/10/2009, 9:31 PM
I'd be expecting a Rovers v Fingal Final with Rovers winning the final.

SPXcyan
22/10/2009, 10:24 PM
I have no confidence in the Blues at all!! Sligo or Fingal to win tho im hopin Sligo will! provided they are still a premier league side :)

Lamper.sffc
22/10/2009, 11:07 PM
It's the most soulless ground in the country, impossible for any sort of atmosphere to be created.

It is a sh*t ground for atmosphere. No arguments here but the more there is the better.

Unfortunately for us O Neil and Quigley are suspended. O Neil is the biggest loss but we do have decent alternatives. Zayed should take his place.

WoodquayBoy
23/10/2009, 7:57 AM
I bet you do Mr Maroon :D:p
It would be a safe bet considering he just told you!?!?!?!?
Personally, I don't care who wins the semi-finals as long as it is not Sligo or Fingal - would like to see Waterford win the Cup this year

OneForTheFuture
23/10/2009, 9:05 AM
Waterford to win in a replay :D

F you and your replays..:D

tallaghthoop
23/10/2009, 1:34 PM
It is a sh*t ground for atmosphere. No arguments here but the more there is the better.

Have to agree with you that when there was only 1 stand the atmosphere was non existant, but since the East stand opened there is a better atmosphere, when there is a full house the place can be rocking.:cool:

1895ringsend
23/10/2009, 2:05 PM
I'd like to see Sligo win it but i think fingal will. No matter what division fingal are in next year they'l be even stronger and if they can offer players europe they'l be in a very commanding position in the transfer market.

forza rovers
23/10/2009, 3:46 PM
Yes.

IF Sporting Fingal get to the final and the Fingal public get the cup fever then its quite possible that a Waterford V Fingal Final could have a very large turn out.they only sold 98 tickets for the semis

Longfordian
23/10/2009, 3:59 PM
I'd say Sligo would definitely have the biggest support/bandwagon jumpers of those remaining. Waterford brought less than we did in 2004 and it was their first cup final for a number of years whereas we'd been in it the previous year and our support was down on that year. I think Sligo have a great chance of winning it and good luck to them.

sligoman
23/10/2009, 4:02 PM
We've sold over 4,000 tickets for the semi tonight. A good few more will just turn up at the gate tonight so should be a decent crowd.

Lamper.sffc
24/10/2009, 2:09 AM
We've sold over 4,000 tickets for the semi tonight. A good few more will just turn up at the gate tonight so should be a decent crowd.

Congrats on the win tonight. The ground looked great on tv. Nothing like a full house at a loi side.
Hard luck Waterford. Done wonders this season already and who knows, there might still be something to fight for yet. Keep the head up.

Straightstory
25/10/2009, 8:32 AM
Delighted for Sligo. Paul Cook is my favourite LOI manager. An outsider who has come into Irish football and given it everything. Passionate, amusing, straight talking - and I love the way he always seems to be hoarse in post match interviews after shouting his head off for ninety minutes.
Hope Bray win today. Sporting Fingal have no fans , no tradition and their presence in the league already over represented with Dublin clubs is mystifying. Scheduling the game on the same day as Liverpool v Man U., the biggest Premiership match of the season (well done FAI), should ensure the lowest ever attendance at a Cup Semi-final.

Rovers1
25/10/2009, 11:09 AM
Tallaght-LA-LA...LA-LA-LA-LA ROWWWVVERS!!

:D :D

Brian Boru
25/10/2009, 11:28 AM
Bray should definitely win later today.