PDA

View Full Version : Graham Barrett - Platinum One.

Pages : [1] 2

SkStu
21/10/2009, 11:38 PM
[Unattributed content deleted. --dahamsta]

Jicked
21/10/2009, 11:50 PM
Silly of Platinum One / Barrett to be caught if they have been, though I'd imagine every single manager and club engages in tapping up in a league as small and incestous as ours. If nothing came of Fenlon tapping up half of his U-23 squad I can't see much happening here. The amount of moves you hear mooted months before they go through is ridiculous, sure you could just browse players' facebooks in the off-season to impose two year bans for the half the fecking league.

Besides it doesn't exactly "rock the league title race" as Rovers don't seem to be involved whatsoever as Barrett was allegedly working for a 3rd party, to suggest a player work towards a move abroad, though I'm sure relegation to the A Championship will be suggested as a fair punishment for these latest heinous crimes.

SkStu
21/10/2009, 11:55 PM
id be surprised if anything at all comes from it but its surely a good topic to post for discussion? Are we not allowed say anything negative even vaguely related to Shams without you all throwing your toys out of the pram?!

(point to note, this is about Graham Barrett and P1 - no reference or problem with Rovers here, theyre not tapping up anyone as is clear if you read the article)

Ezeikial
21/10/2009, 11:56 PM
Looks like there is trouble on the horizon for Mr Barrett.

If this is established to be true, it is extremely foolish and naive of both the player and P1.

Expect P1 to distance themselves from this if it gets hot, and the FAI to be positively drooling at the thought of putting the boot into them.

Jicked
21/10/2009, 11:59 PM
id be surprised if anything at all comes from it but its surely a good topic to post for discussion? Are we not allowed say anything negative even vaguely related to Shams without you all throwing your toys out of the pram?!

(point to note, this is about Graham Barrett and P1 - no reference or problem with Rovers here, theyre not tapping up anyone as is clear if you read the article)

Where have I said it shouldn't be discussed? The article says it "rocks the title race", I said it doesn't, after first saying players tap each other up all the time as well all know they do in so small and 'informal' a league as the LoI. Not exactly throwing the toys out of the pram is it?

SkStu
22/10/2009, 12:05 AM
though I'm sure relegation to the A Championship will be suggested as a fair punishment for these latest heinous crimes.

Not exactly throwing the toys out of the pram is it?

a bit dramatic and overly defensive though, no? Considering the article clearly states any punishment would be on the player?

agree with Ezeikial ( :eek: ) - FAI are going to love this...

Jicked
22/10/2009, 12:18 AM
Sheridan accuses Rovers of basically killing people in Tallaght by moving to the stadium there, and wanted a points deduction and for us to play behind closed doors for a pitch incursion behind advertising boards and a flare display organised with local police. I'm sure he would have had a very reasonable take on this issue too.

PartySaint
22/10/2009, 12:42 AM
'AGENT' STORM

EX-IRELAND striker Graham Barrett is being accused of illegally acting as an agent in a row which has rocked the League of Ireland title race.
"

Thats just a ridiculousy over the top statement

Schumi
22/10/2009, 12:46 AM
It's in the Sun!

BohsPartisan
22/10/2009, 7:40 AM
a flare display organised with local police.

Collusion is not an illusion! ;)

Acornvilla
22/10/2009, 7:57 AM
well if barret gets suspended yo loose a good player? seasons nearly over any way they hardly have the time to suspend him before the end do they??

Celdrog
22/10/2009, 8:18 AM
The hypocrisy of Bohemians here is laughable.
Stuey Byrne was thrown out of the Drogs by Doolin after his tapping up attempts of (among others) Paul Keegan and Brian Shelley for Bohs.
Funniest thing is that the two lads went to Bohs and Stuey didn't even get a contract off them.

SMorgan
22/10/2009, 8:32 AM
This all from the club that was 'tapping up' Drogheda United players last season.

Edit: I posted after reading the first message and without seeing the post above that makes the same point. This is all a bit rich from Bohs.

ndrog
22/10/2009, 8:39 AM
Stuey Byrne was thrown out of the Drogs by Doolin after his tapping up attempts of (among others) Paul Keegan and Brian Shelley for Bohs.
Funniest thing is that the two lads went to Bohs and Stuey didn't even get a contract off them.

Was just about to post the exact same thing .Rat fenlon and stuey byrne were at the same thing last season with Drogheda players :eek:

Mr A
22/10/2009, 8:44 AM
But sure Drogheda were on the verge of implosion anyway and most of those players would have been leaving in any case.

With Bohs it's completely different.

Oh, hang on...

blackholesun
22/10/2009, 10:09 AM
"an attempt to unsettle a team member"

I think Bohs are already doing a good enough job themselves at unsettling their own players ... they don't need external help!

bhs

The Betting Man
22/10/2009, 10:20 AM
This all from the club that was 'tapping up' Drogheda United players last season.

Edit: I posted after reading the first message and without seeing the post above that makes the same point. This is all a bit rich from Bohs.

Rich and Bohs in the same sentance I dont think so ;)

placid casual
22/10/2009, 10:31 AM
pointless rubbish from a pointless journalist.
next.

wexfordned
22/10/2009, 10:41 AM

I was told it was for "aledgedly" handing the drogs team sheet to Nutsy before the game as an attempt to get a contract offer off Nutsy.

WoodquayBoy
22/10/2009, 10:45 AM
Much ado about shag all really, and certainly does not 'rock the title race'.
A couple of season ago, in the warm-down in Dayler after a Bohs-Utd game, a certain Bohs player asked a certain Utd player if he would be interested in moving to Bohs. Was not an official approach, a 'tap-up' could not be proven as the Bohs player could say he was just asking out of interst and nothing else. It happens all the time, and while it may not be right, it is not always against the rules.

CuanaD
22/10/2009, 10:49 AM
Stuey Byrne was thrown out of the Drogs by Doolin after his ALLEGED tapping up attempts of (among others) Paul Keegan and Brian Shelley for Bohs.
Funniest thing is that the two lads went to Bohs and Stuey didn't even get a contract off them.& subsequently found to be untrue

theneutral
22/10/2009, 1:16 PM
Over on the Rovers forum they seem to be suggesting something more sinnister at work, apparantly this journalist (Niall O'Riordan) has form for his articles sticking the boot in on Rovers related issues, suggested that he was the only journo who tried to make news of the SARI statement re the N'do incident also? Can any of the Bohs heads on here clarify if he is in fact a Bohs fan as is being alleged? Would surely discredit alot of his work if found to be true?

marinobohs
22/10/2009, 1:23 PM
"an attempt to unsettle a team member"

I think Bohs are already doing a good enough job themselves at unsettling their own players ... they don't need external help!

bhs
Would love to know how bohs have "upset their own players" ? presumably paying them on time (this does appear a novelty in the LOI :))?

Presume your real point here is it involves a SFC employee so just lets forget about it and add it to other matters "under the carpet".

marinobohs
22/10/2009, 1:27 PM
Much ado about shag all really, and certainly does not 'rock the title race'.
A couple of season ago, in the warm-down in Dayler after a Bohs-Utd game, a certain Bohs player asked a certain Utd player if he would be interested in moving to Bohs. Was not an official approach, a 'tap-up' could not be proven as the Bohs player could say he was just asking out of interst and nothing else. It happens all the time, and while it may not be right, it is not always against the rules.

Everyone is aware of tapping up amopng players - it has always happened and always will in all leagues. The issue here is that Barrett is acting as an agent of Platium 1 and that is illegal (as I understand it). His part time job at SRFC is not directly relevent to any possible charge.

marinobohs
22/10/2009, 1:29 PM
Under what carpet? No-one is denying the substance of the article, that he passed a message onto Shelley that an English club were looking to talk to him. Its simply not against the rules, so this is a non story.

Why are we discussing this 12 days after it appeared in a newspaper and has been 'investigated' and him cleared of any wrongdoing?

"investigated" by whom ? cleared by whom ?

Schumi
22/10/2009, 1:30 PM
The issue here is that Barrett is acting as an agent of Platium 1 and that is illegal (as I understand it). His part time job at SRFC is not directly relevent to any possible charge.

It's exactly his job with Rovers that would make him acting as an agent illegal isn't it?

marinobohs
22/10/2009, 1:33 PM
It's exactly his job with Rovers that would make him acting as an agent illegal isn't it?

I think had it just been a player to player discussion it would have been treated as all other (and there are plenty) such discussions are treated. the fact that he is an age... whoops employee of PLATIUM 1 is what led to the complaint.

Celdrog
22/10/2009, 1:34 PM
& subsequently found to be untrueEh, no it wasn't found to be untrue.
I'd love to see your source for that

tallaghthoop
22/10/2009, 1:40 PM
Hi guys just a quick introduction, i'm a new member here and as you can see from the name i'm a Shamrock Rovers supporter and a LOI supporter and wish every club the best of luck and i'm not into the whole begrudery thing although a bit of banter goes down well.

Back to the Barrett thing, i personally think he was out of order, he suggested to a player that a club or clubs in England were interested. You will find platium one will benefit somewhere along the way if a deal does get done, so basically Barrett made the first move which is the agents job.

If he works with platinum regarding forgien relations and training camps there is no problem, but if he is suggesting to current LOI players that teams across the water are interested he is making a problem for himself and should defo be investigated into what his actual role at platinum is. Approaching a player and suggesting clubs to them is tapping up there is no 2 ways about it.

marinobohs
22/10/2009, 1:41 PM
There was no complaint. Because a semi educated chimp can see that there was no wrongdoing.

Why would an agent, as you alledge, remove himself from any possible negotiations between the player and that English club? You aren't even making any sense.

According to the VERY FIRST POST it is "understood Bohs are to make a complaint". is this wrong ? I very much doubt you speak for Bohemian FC on this (or any other matter) so do you know there is/will be no complaint ?.
if there was/is no complaint how was it "investigated" and by who ?

marinobohs
22/10/2009, 1:44 PM
Rovers, in terms of potential conflict of interest. Bohs never actually made a complaint to the league.

So Rovers investigated a Rovers player and found no case ? excellent and the same people found there is/was no rascism isn SDCC Stadium and an assistant ref was definately NOT hit with a bottle at a recent game ;)

Glad that was all cleared up. If Bohs do complain it will be to the FAI not to SRFC.

marinobohs
22/10/2009, 1:51 PM
In the absence of any other complaint, what more do you want?

The racism charge is being investigated, and is at best unproven.

Who said the linesman was not struck with a bottle?

Heaven forbid you would resort to making stuff up...

Good for them. But I genuinely fail to see on what grounds they could, which is probably why they have not.

fortunately complaints do not have to have the agreement of SRFC supporters to be made to the FAI.

SkStu
22/10/2009, 2:00 PM
is it really worth arguing with a guy who thinks that a certain youtube clip is "doctored"? Seriously, MB, dont bother. I wouldnt believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Just another Rovers fan who has broken the boycott.

We'll soon see if there are any legs to this story.

SkStu
22/10/2009, 2:32 PM
We will, won't we. Ditto the email campaign to highlight Rovers 'racism'.

Out of interest, how long more do we have to wait for Bohs to complain before we can chalk this down as a non-story?

next time you want to ask me a question consider that this is about as good a response as you will get...

is it really worth arguing with a guy who thinks that a certain youtube clip is "doctored"? Seriously, MB, dont bother. I wouldnt believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Just another Rovers fan who has broken the boycott.

osarusan
22/10/2009, 3:46 PM
Any chance you will answer the question as to exactly what the problem here is?
In all fairness, I think it is possible to understand why Bohs might not be happy at this.

With just a few crucial games to go in a season where they are basically neck and neck with another club in the race for the league, Graham Barrett, a consultant for Platinum One, allegedly approaches a Bohs player and enquires as to that player's interest in moving abroad when his contract expires.

So far so good, no problem at all.

However, when the consultant in question actually plays for the club Bohs are directly competing against for the league title, it is not hard to understand that Bohs might feel Barrett's motive for approaching the Bohs player might have been with the intent of causing him to think about something other than Bohs as the final few games are played.

Now, that may not be everybody's reading of the situation, and Barrett has denied he did it, but it is hardly so absurd as to be impossible.

Ezeikial
22/10/2009, 3:54 PM
, i'm a new member here and as you can see from the name i'm a Shamrock Rovers supporter and a LOI supporter and wish every club the best of luck and i'm not into the whole begrudery thing although a bit of banter goes down well.

All in good time tallaghthoop!!!

blackholesun
22/10/2009, 4:40 PM
Would love to know how bohs have "upset their own players" ? presumably paying them on time (this does appear a novelty in the LOI :))?

Presume your real point here is it involves a SFC employee so just lets forget about it and add it to other matters "under the carpet".

Did I say upset, I meant to type unsettle as in the original article.

Regarding unsettling,
I am sure the wage cuts enforced at the start of the season were unsettling!
I am sure hearing FAI officials saying your club faces relegation and being barred from Europe if they cant meet the 65% rule is unsettling.
I am sure seeing the club being barred from signing players because they are over the 65% rule mid-season is unsettling.
I am sure seeing the club accounts showing huge losses being leaked to the media is unsettling.
I am sure seeing the property deals that proped up the club for years collapsing is unsettling.
I am sure fighting for the league, yet playing in front of poor crowds is unsettling.

This was what I was talking about ...

bhs

tallaghthoop
22/10/2009, 8:40 PM

We'll soon see if there are any legs to this story.

There was a couple of hoodie type idiots standing just a the bottom steps of the stand that made the racist noise, they were 16-17 years old probably 5-6 of them. I think why the sound is quite clear is they were very close to pitch side and if there is any of them t.v speakers around the pitch they probably picked it up. A couple of older guys in there 40's or 50's had a right go at the youngfellas about there carry on and they moved off, looked like they went behind the goal.

There is no room for Racism in football whether it be Bohs or Rovers or anyone else in the league. And if people can be identified or be pointed out to Gardai or stewards ( preferably Gardai ) a life time ban and an apperance in court should go without saying, they should also be made pay whatever fine is recieved by the said club from the FAI.

Cheers TH

Now back to the Barrett thing, if he has approached a player he should be dealt with, he is not an agent he is a consultant. And as far as i know consultants don't approach players.

kdjaC
22/10/2009, 8:53 PM
Why was Stuey Byrne sacked/suspended from Drogs?

Seriously is a year really a lifetime in this league?

Martinho II
26/10/2009, 4:02 PM
Why was Stuey Byrne sacked/suspended from Drogs?

Seriously is a year really a lifetime in this league?

reason kdjac stuey byrne got the bullet at drogs was that he was trying to get few of his fellow teammates to join him at Bohemians! :rolleyes:

KeepersBall
14/11/2009, 2:13 PM
Heard the Rovers 'keeper Barry Murphy ?, has joined Bohs
Anyone know anything

Martinho II
15/11/2009, 4:43 PM
Heard the Rovers 'keeper Barry Murphy ?, has joined Bohs
Anyone know anything

there was a rumour doing the rounds that barry murphy was unhappy at rovers after losing his first team place to brian murphy.. I would say its a done deal..

superfrank
15/11/2009, 6:26 PM
there was a rumour doing the rounds that barry murphy was unhappy at rovers after losing his first team place to brian murphy.
:confused:

Mannus, you mean surely?

fionnsci
15/11/2009, 8:36 PM

Mannus, you mean surely?

No need to seem so confused, that's clearly what he meant.

mrtndvn
16/11/2009, 1:01 AM
there was a rumour doing the rounds that barry murphy was unhappy at rovers after losing his first team place to brian murphy.. I would say its a done deal..

I would say he might join Fingal instead ;)

marinobohs
16/11/2009, 2:00 PM
I would say he might join Fingal instead ;)

As far as I know Barry Murphy is out of contract with Rovers (or has been told he can go). I expect like many players he is waiting to see what offers are available, especially if (as is likely) fingal come up.

The Betting Man
16/11/2009, 2:09 PM
If Fingal come up I reckon he will join them if not then he will go to Bohs

mrtndvn
16/11/2009, 2:34 PM
As far as I know Barry Murphy is out of contract with Rovers (or has been told he can go). I expect like many players he is waiting to see what offers are available, especially if (as is likely) fingal come up.

He's signed for fingal, wouldnt play for that bohs lot.

Martinho II
16/11/2009, 5:39 PM

Mannus, you mean surely?

well spotted superfrank.. gettin my names mixed up..:(

Acornvilla
16/11/2009, 5:45 PM
getting confused in your old age marty?:p