PDA

View Full Version : Racism - how to deal with it

SkStu
21/10/2009, 5:58 PM
Im sorry to start a new thread on the Rovers racism incident but the threads regarding it have been locked and this was the only option available without dragging another thread off topic. I dont mind if the thread is locked but surely it is worth debate and discussion and it deserves at least to be read by the posters here.

I noticed the following article on the BBC website regarding racism from a lone Rangers fan and how Rangers and their supporters club chose to deal with it. It wasnt dismissed as a lone perpetrator, a defence used in the SARI/Rovers thread - that seemed irrelevant to the powers that be in Ibrox.

Something similar from Rovers should have been forthcoming and might have actually won them more support and kudos in the long run.

Would something like this from Shamrock Rovers FC have been too much to ask?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8318117.stm

Rangers condemn Edu racist abuse

Edu claims he was racially abused by Rangers fans after the game
Rangers have condemned the "moronic behaviour" of a supporter who racially abused midfielder Maurice Edu following the 4-1 defeat by Unirea Urziceni.

The 23-year-old, who did not play in the Champions League loss at Ibrox, revealed the abuse on his Twitter page.

A statement on the club website said: "The action of this individual is disgusting and completely unacceptable.

"Rangers will undertake a investigation to identify the individual in question and take appropriate action."

US international Edu registered his disgust at the incident on his Twitter page, where he wrote: "Not sure what hurt more: result or being racially abused by couple of our own fans as I'm getting in my car."

Rangers condemned the supporter responsible, sayng: "It is extremely disappointing that people such as this attach themselves to the wider Rangers support and tarnish the image of the club and its fans.

We would urge anyone who has information on the identity of the individual responsible to contact the club immediately

Rangers statement
"We would urge anyone who has information on the identity of the individual responsible to contact the club immediately."

The club restated their commitment to the Show Racism The Red Card campaign and that this would be demonstrated at the home game against Hibernian on Saturday.

The Rangers Supporters Trust condemned the incident and spokesman David Edgar said he hoped whoever was responsible would be punished.

Billy Singh, Campaign Manager for Show Racism the Red Card, said: "The racial abuse suffered by Maurice Edu last night was totally unacceptable.

"Would the same fans have reacted in the same way if he had scored the winning goal last night?"

Edu moved to Ibrox from Major League Soccer club Toronto for £2.6m in August 2008.

Da Real Rover
21/10/2009, 6:14 PM
The FAI are spearheading a campaign on this issue.
Fans who abuse Racists or voice their displeasure at racists will be fined.
Go on John Delaney you hero.

forza rovers
21/10/2009, 6:54 PM
we try to deal with it and get find!

well done fai

SkStu
21/10/2009, 6:57 PM
we try to deal with it and get find!

well done fai

did you get fined for your McGuinness banner? :eek:

Rovers1
21/10/2009, 6:59 PM
did you get fined for your McGuinness banner? :eek:

Yup. Mess.

SkStu
21/10/2009, 7:00 PM
Yup. Mess.

the mind boggles...

Ezeikial
21/10/2009, 7:33 PM
Im sorry to start a new thread on the Rovers racism incident

The "Rovers racism incident" has been done to death. Although it is very relevent to discuss how all clubs can (and should) address this serious problem - please no more petty club point scoring stuff, the valid points just get lost in the middle of it!

redgav
21/10/2009, 7:39 PM
Token Gesture by Rangers in truth.When the wake up and realise racism isnt just black ,brown or yellow and they start condemning their Taig/mexican mass chanting I'll be impressed.Of course thats a ditto for their neighbours

SkStu
21/10/2009, 7:42 PM
The "Rovers racism incident" has been done to death. Although it is very relevent to discuss how all clubs can (and should) address this serious problem - please no more petty club point scoring stuff, the valid points just get lost in the middle of it!

not interested in petty point scoring - and im not going to get dragged into another argument with you. I will let the article speak for itself as an example of how these incidents should be addressed. Heads in the sand stuff does nothing for an anti racism campaign.

jebus
21/10/2009, 8:51 PM
Could just not be racist

Problem solved

SMorgan
21/10/2009, 9:01 PM
not interested in petty point scoring .

Some how I find that very hard to believe.

Is this not all a bit rich coming from a Bohs fan?

Ezeikial
21/10/2009, 9:04 PM
not interested in petty point scoring - and im not going to get dragged into another argument with you. I will let the article speak for itself as an example of how these incidents should be addressed. Heads in the sand stuff does nothing for an anti racism campaign.

Sorry SkStu if I misunderstood your post - it just appeared to me that you are more interested in the "Rovers incident" or how Rovers have dealt with the aftermath of it, rather then racism per se.

Maybe all your reference to Rovers were just for context, and not about point scoring?

Im sorry to start a new thread on the Rovers racism incident.....
.... a defence used in the SARI/Rovers thread -

.... Something similar from Rovers should have been forthcoming and might have actually won them more support and kudos in the long run.

......Would something like this from Shamrock Rovers FC have been too much to ask?

SkStu
21/10/2009, 10:44 PM
fair enough lads. I dont want to get this thread locked so knock yourselves out with your excuses and diversionary tactics. Nothing new from Rovers and Dundalk fans there.

I would like to read your remarks if it had been a small number of Bohs fans who had done the same. Id imagine theyd be remarkably different.

Either way, i think the point i made in the opening post is a good one and its a valid comparison between how two different clubs treat minor racist incidents differently. Which one is better seems to depend on which club you support or what your agenda is as evidenced by Ezeikial and YMCA (or whatever his handle is).

SligoBrewer
21/10/2009, 10:50 PM
Compare Rovers and Rangers and try to make the hun look like the reasonable ones.

Care to explain your usage of the word hun? 'Cause it clearly doesn't mean 'Enemy', as Shams are Boh's 'enemies'.

Don't post in a thread about racism and expose your own idiotic beliefs.

theneutral
21/10/2009, 11:06 PM
You really are unstoppable Stu, a real modern day Robin Hood / Nelson Mandela type character. Its getting boring now though!

dcfcsteve
21/10/2009, 11:07 PM
As an aside, do Rovers have a policy against sectarianism ?

If so - why does the club turn a blind eye to references to Bohs as "Orange B@strds" in the 'We are Rovers' chant....? :confused:

Ezeikial
21/10/2009, 11:10 PM
fair enough lads. I dont want to get this thread locked so knock yourselves out with your excuses and diversionary tactics.

I made no excuses about anything!

Diversionary???

I think your opening post is a classic diversion - you head it up " Racism - how to deal with it" when you appear to really want to debate - "How Shamrock Rovers have dealt with racism".

Get real - the latter topic has been done to death!!!

Nothing new from Rovers and Dundalk fans there.

I would like to read your remarks if it had been a small number of Bohs fans who had done the same. Id imagine theyd be remarkably different.

The obsession with an anti-Bohs and now an anti-Bohs fans conspiracy grows and grows!!!

Either way, i think the point i made in the opening post is a good one and its a valid comparison between how two different clubs treat minor racist incidents differently. Which one is better seems to depend on which club you support or what your agenda is as evidenced by Ezeikial and YMCA (or whatever his handle is).

Nonsense - I applaud Glasgow Rangers reponse and am dubious about the absense of a public statement from Shamrock Rovers. The club I support or follow obviously has no bearing on my personal views on racism (or to follow your agenda.....how clubs deal with it)

Jicked
21/10/2009, 11:23 PM
At the last two Rovers games since the Bohs game there have been renewed messages (even during the game!) about Rovers' anti-racism policy over the PA, as well as separate announcements during the game warning fans not to encroach on to the side of the pitch, as well as the page in the match programme about rovers anti-racism stance there was a message in the chairman's letter at the start of the programme, drawing fans attention to a further page in the programme dealing with various incidents arriving from the Bohs game. A new, more high-profile stewarding system has been implemented in the Ultras stand with both greater numbers and increased activity from stewards (i.e. not just hanging around watching the game in a fluorescent bib).

Of course that's of little interest to you, you don't actually care about Rovers trying to deal with any such problems, you just care about making Rovers look bad and trying to create a reputation that Rovers fans are racist, which is clearly not true. Enjoy your ridiculous, unnecesarily antagonistic and completely pointless thread.

SkStu
21/10/2009, 11:35 PM
At the last two Rovers games since the Bohs game there have been renewed messages (even during the game!) about Rovers' anti-racism policy over the PA, as well as separate announcements during the game warning fans not to encroach on to the side of the pitch, as well as the page in the match programme about rovers anti-racism stance there was a message in the chairman's letter at the start of the programme, drawing fans attention to a further page in the programme dealing with various incidents arriving from the Bohs game. A new, more high-profile stewarding system has been implemented in the Ultras stand with both greater numbers and increased activity from stewards (i.e. not just hanging around watching the game in a fluorescent bib).

Of course that's of little interest to you, you don't actually care about Rovers trying to deal with any such problems, you just care about making Rovers look bad and trying to create a reputation that Rovers fans are racist, which is clearly not true. Enjoy your ridiculous, unnecesarily antagonistic and completely pointless thread.

1) good to hear. Hopefully it all manages to cut this crap out.
2) you do a good enough job of giving yourselves a bad reputation.
3) i have acknowledged that it was a minor racist incident.

dfx-
22/10/2009, 12:04 AM
With no interest in point scoring, I'm sure you'll agree with the sentiment that this should be put to the world football section or an SPL thread.

SkStu
22/10/2009, 12:09 AM
i expressed my reasons for posting it in this forum in my original post. If the mods want to move the thread to the World Forum i have no problem with that. The other threads on this were closed which is why i started a new one.

This will be my last post on the matter (i promise). As i said, its a good comparison on how different clubs have approached a minor racist incident. Sorry if you feel i have "scored points"...

pineapple stu
22/10/2009, 8:53 AM

Sorry SkStu if I misunderstood your post - it just appeared to me that you are more interested in the "Rovers incident" or how Rovers have dealt with the aftermath of it, rather then racism per se.

Maybe all your reference to Rovers were just for context, and not about point scoring?

Im sorry to start a new thread on the Rovers racism incident.....
.... a defence used in the SARI/Rovers thread -

.... Something similar from Rovers should have been forthcoming and might have actually won them more support and kudos in the long run.

......Would something like this from Shamrock Rovers FC have been too much to ask?

I agree with this. Thread closed.