PDA

View Full Version : old talk of united irish team

kristovski
24/02/2004, 4:51 PM
i read recently that informal talks took place between the FAI and IFA some time in the 1970/80s regarding the possibility of a united Ireland soccer team.

i'm fairly certain this was taken from something said by the late Harry Cavan - from a book on the history of Northern Irish soccer called, "100 years of Irish football"

i think this is mentioned in the last paragraph of the book.

its sounds unlike Harry, with his objections to the Brazil game in 1973 and all, so i was wondering if anyone can remember any other details? i never heard anything about it before

lopez
24/02/2004, 6:04 PM
The Irish Press (FF founded daily newspaper for those youngsters amongst us) had a bit about 'talks' about the reunification of the Irish associations and team about the time of the Belfast game in 79. Proabably b*llocks. Probably talking about the best brothels in Poland.:eek: :o :D

IrelandUnited
24/02/2004, 11:53 PM
At present two leagues that are little more than feeders for cross channel are afforded two sets of Euro representation in club football despite the fact that the English league is the DE FACTO national league in both parts of Ireland supplying ALL the FAI team and almost ALL the IFA team.

In those circs turkeys will not vote for christmas. The odd Euro game is helping keep the Dublin and Belfast clubs afloat. The idea is dead in the water until and unless FIFA/UEFA demand that a portion of internationals have to play in the country they represent and being a restraint of trade that is not likely

Paddy Ramone
25/02/2004, 8:02 AM
Not a chance of a United Ireland team happening in the foreseeable future. Although I heard recently that Dermot Nesbitt (a rare animal known as a liberal unionist) voiced his support for an All-Ireland side. Of course he was slated by the closed minds on the OWC forum.

SÓC
25/02/2004, 9:23 AM
Originally posted by IrelandUnited
At present two leagues that are little more than feeders for cross channel are afforded two sets of Euro representation in club football despite the fact that the English league is the DE FACTO national league in both parts of Ireland supplying ALL the FAI team and almost ALL the IFA team.

In those circs turkeys will not vote for christmas. The odd Euro game is helping keep the Dublin and Belfast clubs afloat. The idea is dead in the water until and unless FIFA/UEFA demand that a portion of internationals have to play in the country they represent and being a restraint of trade that is not likely

Muppet:rolleyes:

Look at the Ireland U-20 World Cup Squad. 6 Home based players.

Look at the U-21 Squad 3 Homebased players

Look at the fringes of the Senior Squad. Crowe has been in the squads, players like John O'Flynn and Kevin Hunt are near enough to getting in.

The EU would most likely allow a ROT in football on public policy grounds, they've show an interest in football in the past.

Schumi
25/02/2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by SÓC
Kevin Hunt ... near enough to getting in. He's English, in case you hadn't noticed. Might make it a bit difficult to get in the Ireland team!

pingpongbob
25/02/2004, 12:57 PM
I'd guess most people in N.I. wouldn't want it, so it's a non-starter,,, and hypothetically, there wouldn't be too many N.I. players making a "united" team, so there's nothing in it for N.I. fans.

SÓC
25/02/2004, 5:28 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
He's English, in case you hadn't noticed. Might make it a bit difficult to get in the Ireland team!

Yea but he's in Ireland long enough to be able to get an Irish passport and play for Ireland. There was an article about it a while back on soccercentral. He wasnt ruling it in or out at the time.

Paddy Ramone
25/02/2004, 5:41 PM
Originally posted by davros
'Most'' being unionists.....well known for applying the principles of democracy......which makes a mockery of their'views'......as for osc.players...don't give a f*ck about their background,but don't think they'd be open-minded enough to give it a go......
Wasn't Derek Dougan, a Protestant player threatened by Loyalists after he played in the Shamrock Rovers "All-Ireland" eleven. Any NI player who played for the All-Ireland team might get a lot of hassle from Loyalists.

Duncan Gardner
25/02/2004, 6:31 PM
Ireland United. The IL and LoI aren't really feeder leagues to English football. Most Irish players with experience in England go there from school and only play in Ireland when they come back. And of course, Irish clubs are excluded from the 'pyramid', playing in the FA Cup and so on.

Davros. While neither the FAI nor IFA are particularly democratic organisations, I think they're with public opinion on this one. I see no great support on either side of the border for the change.

Paddy Ramone. Not quite. Nesbitt's support was basically that he didn't see any harm in it if other sports did similarly. And of course, was very quickly and publicly retracted in a letter to the Belfast Newsletter. As I'm sure an open minded fellow like yourself noticed and would acknowledge.

Derek Dougan lost his deposit when standing for election in Belfast East a couple of years ago.

IrelandUnited
25/02/2004, 7:13 PM
SOC whatever about my being a "muppet" I can virtually guarantee that if any of the home based players on the youth squads you mention ever make it to competitive adult international sides - not friendly "let's give Crowe a pat on the head" sides - they will be in the league that supplies all our adult international players which is to say the english league.

Definition of Muppet: One who unashamedly states the bald truth about Irish football

You also ignore my central contention that the alliance of North and south would halve the Euro spots available. No way will the clubs tolerate that.

Duncan Gardner
25/02/2004, 8:24 PM
Outwith the FAI/puppets/Muppets,there is v.ltd.opposition to an AI team.....even my step-mum,a Prod.in that hotbed of Irish nationalism,in W.Cork is in favour of an AI team!
Forget the political situation,for once,there's a massive majority in the island of Ireland for AI teams in all sports....the IFA,as is the concept of the osc.,is a historical/political dinosaur.......which serves to preserve its own existence,as do the clowns in the FAI!

Er...I think you are confusing anecdotal evidence with systematic survey. Surprisingly, for one working in market research?

And it's not particularly strong anecdotal evidence either, since (as you've pointed out) your stepmother is hardly a Ulster unionist, is she?

There is, as I said, no evidence of any surge of public support for an all-Ireland team.

As for your constant anti-unionist parroting, don't you ever get bored by it? We are very content with the concept of the osc, thank you very much. Just like you are for spending your entire life since age 8 living in Britain. If you dislike it so much, why don't ye go home?

SÓC
26/02/2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by IrelandUnited
SOC whatever about my being a "muppet" I can virtually guarantee that if any of the home based players on the youth squads you mention ever make it to competitive adult international sides - not friendly "let's give Crowe a pat on the head" sides - they will be in the league that supplies all our adult international players which is to say the english league.

Definition of Muppet: One who unashamedly states the bald truth about Irish football

You also ignore my central contention that the alliance of North and south would halve the Euro spots available. No way will the clubs tolerate that.

Ignorance is bliss eh EnglandUnited. Glen Crowe was in the squad for the Estonia and Portugal matches.

Era sure I suppose the underage teams dont matter. Sure what did they ever do for us. Not as if they produced players like Robbie Keane, Duff etc. Yesterday Liam Kearney, a Cork City player scored the winning goal for the Irish U-21s but era they dont count, I dont think their matches are shown live on Sky often enough to be "real" football.

Good thing England is our de facto national league. Not as though they have ever passed up any talent is it? Sure look at "your":rolleyes: club. Keane and McGrath were rejected by the English system.

Definition of Muppet:

Ignorant Fan of English football who shuns his own.

BTW your wonderful arguement has a plus side. If the English league is what you consider your national league perhaps you might be able to get tickets to support the English national side, who are after all your de facto national team.

lopez
26/02/2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by SÓC
Yea but he's in Ireland long enough to be able to get an Irish passport and play for Ireland. There was an article about it a while back on soccercentral. He wasnt ruling it in or out at the time.
Think we had an English goalkeeper circa 1973. Played for Waterford if I'm correct.

Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
Wasn't Derek Dougan, a Protestant player threatened by Loyalists after he played in the Shamrock Rovers "All-Ireland" eleven. Any NI player who played for the All-Ireland team might get a lot of hassle from Loyalists.
Don't think he's been threatened but was subsequently dropped by NI even though he was still not past his prime, although apologists say there were better players around.:rolleyes: Current campaign by some on OWM is to see that he is 'airbrushed' (favourite word there) from history by not including him on a mural on the bridge leading to WP.

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
Er...I think you are confusing anecdotal evidence with systematic survey. Surprisingly, for one working in market research?
Didn't the 'unBBC' have a poll about an all-Ireland team last year. Results were in favour, despite DG and co. sitting up all night on the redial button.:D

Originally posted by SÓC
BTW your wonderful arguement has a plus side. If the English league is what you consider your national league perhaps you might be able to get tickets to support the English national side, who are after all your de facto national team.
Couldn't put it better myself. Leave some tickets for the real fans.

Schumi
26/02/2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by SÓC
Yea but he's in Ireland long enough to be able to get an Irish passport and play for Ireland. There was an article about it a while back on soccercentral. He wasnt ruling it in or out at the time. I didn't see that, I have to say I'd be a little uneasy about him playing for Ireland. There's no real difference between that and the likes of Morrison picking us when England wouldn't have him.

IrelandUnited
26/02/2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by SÓC
Ignorance is bliss eh EnglandUnited. Glen Crowe was in the squad for the Estonia and Portugal matches.

Era sure I suppose the underage teams dont matter. Sure what did they ever do for us. Not as if they produced players like Robbie Keane, Duff etc. Yesterday Liam Kearney, a Cork City player scored the winning goal for the Irish U-21s but era they dont count, I dont think their matches are shown live on Sky often enough to be "real" football.

Good thing England is our de facto national league. Not as though they have ever passed up any talent is it? Sure look at "your":rolleyes: club. Keane and McGrath were rejected by the English system.

Definition of Muppet:

Ignorant Fan of English football who shuns his own.

With respect SOC you mix of irony and abuse does nothing to answer the point. Few international teams in Europe are as beholden to one league as we are to the English one for international players.

As for Ireland's most popular club by far - Man Utd. for any ostrichs out thare - they have a fine record of bring on Irish players. Not for love of the place but they do it anyway. O'Shea plus I believe 5 others at the moment.

References to Sky are beside the point. If you did not have a ticket to the Brazil game last week you watched it on Sky so do not be so high and mighty. In all honesty the difference between me and some others is I admit it despite it being un PC to do so.

Of course there is a placxe for domestic leagues in north and south. I do not say there isn't. However ignoring the unusual relationship that exists here with english football is futile. French football does not dominate the belgian press. German football does not dominate the Swiss press. english football does here cos the punters want it so.

SÓC
26/02/2004, 3:38 PM
But surely if its your defacto national league you should go and support the national side of Your national league?

Your dismiss the underage setup of Irish football in one fell sweep and Im being high and mighty:rolleyes:

republic
26/02/2004, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by lopez
Think we had an English goalkeeper circa 1973. Played for Waterford if I'm correct.

Yes you are correct indeed, Lopez. Peter Thomas was his name and a very good keeper he was too. Easily the best in the League of Ireland at that time. Played for a few years after that and I was lucky enough to see him when I was in school.

As regards an All-Ireland team, forget it. It ain't gonna happen in the forseeable future anyway. The majority of the Norn Iron supporters don't want it. There is no great demand from Republic supporters either.

Interestingly there *is* support for an All Ireland league on both sides of the border from quite a lot of club managers who have been quoted recently.

Pogsly
26/02/2004, 4:30 PM
SOC

Does your arguement not have its flaws too?
Surely the Irish players who ply their trade in England (as opposed to staying here and being loyal to the clubs who nurtured them) should declare for the National team of the league in which they are employed ??

I know reading the above you are thinking "muppet" , as it is a silly thing to say but I feel that you went slightly over the top at IrelandUnited . I don't support a team persay(I take an interest in all of the Irish players abroad) but I do have more of an Interest in Serie A and always have . Therefore (according to you) I should be following the Azzuri even though I have no affiliation to that country bar taking an interest in their national league instead of my own .

As for Kevin Hunt declaring for Ireland , there is more need for Lee Trundle declaring for us than Hunt regardless fo how many completed passes he has made for Bohs in the eircom League !

Sorry mate but thats bull .

JohnB
26/02/2004, 5:13 PM
Not a chance of a United Ireland team happening in the foreseeable future. Although I heard recently that Dermot Nesbitt (a rare animal known as a liberal unionist) voiced his support for an All-Ireland side. Of course he was slated by the closed minds on the OWC forum.

Very liberal and open minded of you Paddy.

IrelandUnited
26/02/2004, 6:55 PM
Originally posted by Pogsly
SOC

Does your arguement not have its flaws too?
Surely the Irish players who ply their trade in England (as opposed to staying here and being loyal to the clubs who nurtured them) should declare for the National team of the league in which they are employed ??

I know reading the above you are thinking "muppet" , as it is a silly thing to say but I feel that you went slightly over the top at IrelandUnited . I don't support a team persay(I take an interest in all of the Irish players abroad) but I do have more of an Interest in Serie A and always have . Therefore (according to you) I should be following the Azzuri even though I have no affiliation to that country bar taking an interest in their national league instead of my own .

As for Kevin Hunt declaring for Ireland , there is more need for Lee Trundle declaring for us than Hunt regardless fo how many completed passes he has made for Bohs in the eircom League !

Sorry mate but thats bull .

Thank you pogsly. I do not entirely belittle SOC's point of view but he seems to be one of the large band of people who (understandably enough in ways) react adversely to statements about our reliance on the english set up which are simply true. We can accept or ignore these these but they remain true.

A couple of points:

1) If teams watched on Sky are ipso facto unworthy of support as SOC seems to imply then the national team is in the same boat as Arsenal and Man Utd.

2) Why support a team comprised exclusively of players from a given league and despise people who support that league?

3) I haven't rubbished the underage set up here but some of our players (Holland, Reid, Morrison) have nevber benefitted from it and all of them benefit from fine tuning in england.

Qunnie
26/02/2004, 7:09 PM
I haven't rubbished the underage set up here but some of our players (Holland, Reid, Morrison) have nevber benefitted from it and all of them benefit from fine tuning in england.

Didn't Morrison play for the U21s :)

sylvo
26/02/2004, 10:51 PM
And Andy Reid.

lopez
27/02/2004, 8:47 AM
Dont you mean OWB & S-C G Pk?!
'Wee minds' is a more accurate description of some of the retarded members of that forum. While I appreciate that Windsor Park is no doubt adored for its 'royal' connections, the German Lady's grand-father and as you say his 'mutant in-bred' relatives, all of whom were and remain Britain's highest paid scroungers (here's one bunch of illegal immigrants that don't get the once over by the Daily Mason) , all changed their names after WP was founded.

Going back to wee minds, I see our friend Research Boy is back. Time to get the gimp suit on, although with the amount of abuse he gets, I think he's the one who should be wearing it.:D

Duncan Gardner
27/02/2004, 9:06 AM
Morning Lope. Naughty jibe about the redial button there- no way will I let playing with this internet thingy interfere with my beauty sleep :)

Is that offer of yer retro NI shirt still standing? Estonia here we come...

Personally I'd leave the Doog on the muriel but I'll lose little sleep if he goes.

To Davros. I haven't spent 22 years as an adult living in a foreign country, rubbishing it continuously and incoherently, yet making exactly feck all effort to return home.

Though maybe the latter's no surprise, as all you appear to know of Ireland is the themed pub crawl from one end of Baggot Street to t'other on match days...

lopez
27/02/2004, 9:28 AM
Is that offer of yer retro NI shirt still standing? Estonia here we come...
I'm going round my parents so I'll see if it's still there. As I said it was when I was fourteen that I had it, but I don't think it was thrown away. PM with details and you can give me your address so I can send the boys round...sorrry, send it on to you. ;)

JohnB
27/02/2004, 9:46 AM
Pity to see Lopez and the gimp being joined by another micro-mind i.e. Paddy Ramone. You really do let down what is otherwise a very good site. I am glad to see I guessed correctly about your sexual preferences Lopez:p

lopez
27/02/2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by JohnB
Pity to see Lopez and the gimp being joined by another micro-mind i.e. Paddy Ramone. You really do let down what is otherwise a very good site. I am glad to see I guessed correctly about your sexual preferences Lopez:p
Hello sweetie!! How's those other saddos on OurWeeMinds? Any b*llocks dropped yet, especially from Dog Breath? I know you've been dying to join me and Davros down the khasis of the Blue Oyster Bar, but you're such a skinflint that you thought you'd come back on here and get the abuse, that your own Member of Parliament pays good money for, for nothing. Now we all know that it's you that wants some S&M, which is the reason that you've come back.

Paddy, I am no longer going to bother 'punishing' Research Boy here, because DG will only go running to the moderator and the next minute this thread is locked. But also he is, as they say in this part of Britain, a complete Crown and Anchor. Therefore he is better suited to get his sexual thrills through auto-intercourse. Still if you feel the need to let off some steam, there are two things that will get this t*t foaming at the mouth.

1. Mercenaries. You know those w*nkers that fight for another country purely for financial gain. Except that country has to be Britain: Mercenaries fighting in the French Foreign Legion don't count. Alas some of these d*ckheads come home with f*ck all in their pockets because they're in a coffin. Research Boy expects us to feel sorry for them.

2. Religion. As a 'scientist' the thought of someone believing in God really bugs him. Tell him you are a committed religious fanatic (Bob Jones graduate will also do) and watch his 'liberal' mask drop.

See you at the Pride March sweetie. :rolleyes:

SÓC
27/02/2004, 10:22 AM
Pogsley
UnitedIreland

I took issue with UI dismissing the underage setup in one fell sweep. Today the Irish U-21s are 2-0 up, both goals socred by Cork City's Kevin Doyle, one set up by Cork City's Liam Kearney. Longford Town's Steven Pasiley is playing very well at the back. That is more than 1/4 of the next level bellow senior made up of eL players. Yet UI called the English our de facto national league. The same English league that rejected two of our best ever players. Players who only came to light through development in our own national league. Kevin Doyle mentioned above was highlighted by Brian Kerr as a star for the future. He's never played his football outside of Ireland. He stayed and preferred to do his leaving cert. His skills have been developed by our national league.

I have no problem with people supporting non-Irish teams. Not at all. I have a big interest in Cardiff, Barca and Bayern Munich as well as Cork City. That doesnt make those countries our de facto national league. The English league has a disproportionate number of Irish players, yes but they also spit out 80% of them before they ever make the grade.

A couple of points:

1) If teams watched on Sky are ipso facto unworthy of support as SOC seems to imply then the national team is in the same boat as Arsenal and Man Utd.

No No No. Think about it. You say Irish want to watch the premiership/english football. Why? Well there has always been a high level of interest in English football but since Sky came along they packaged the product. Irish people (and alot of English people) support the product. The marketing. Its like Coke. Their MD said than when people drink Coke they are drinking 10% because they are thirsty and 90% of an image. Irish youngsters see this. They want to be interviewed by Andy Gray. Then want to be on playercam.

Teams on Sky are not unworthy of support. The problem is people associate Sky will qulaity so if its not on Sky it cant be that good.

2) Why support a team comprised exclusively of players from a given league and despise people who support that league?

If more Irish people supported our own football there would be more Irish based players in the squads, more people wanting to play at home.....you can see the cycle.

3) I haven't rubbished the underage set up here but some of our players (Holland, Reid, Morrison) have nevber benefitted from it and all of them benefit from fine tuning in england.

Yes but a vast majority have.

Its simply most people in Ireland just ignore our national league because it is so much easy to sit on a barstool or an arm chair and watch a game rather than giving their own football a chance. When they do it can have amazing results. The Pats-Bohs cup replay had a bigger audience than the Premiership.

Duncan Gardner
27/02/2004, 10:51 AM
I'm interested in discussing the League of Ireland and the Republic of Ireland team. Can someone get me out of here?

Great idea, Lopez. Actually Adam, who don't you delete it completely and exclude everyone who's written on it? :)

lopez
27/02/2004, 10:53 AM
No one has a problem with people having interest in foreign leagues. My interest in la liga is solely because of my own origins, and I can't say I'm interested in any other league. But if you are that interested in football and watch it wherever possible (and at £30 or so a month that Sky charges you may as well get your money's worth) to make it interesting, it makes sense to follow a team. Perhaps even do a bit of soccer tourism and visit the 'great cathedrals of European soccer.'

What I object to is the total discardation of and insults to the EL league and followed by a demand that followers of foreign clubs should get equal access to international tickets. One can follow Man Ure and Barstadolona and still go to your local EL club. And EL football is just as high a quality as these foreign teams often meet in their own domestic cup.

Sóc. I agree with the packaging argument. The whole Premiership now is just another product and the same is happening in other parts of Europe. This Yankeeisation of the sport is bound to continue. Offsides being gradually eliminated and now even headgear about to be allowed in to speed up headers. Next it will be the goals being made bigger. Goals, goals, goals, just like the cumshots in porno films, because the audience just can't get enough, right? Except like Porno films (and basketball) football will become f*cking boring after ten minutes.

JohnB
27/02/2004, 11:29 AM
:D :cool: Lopez, I didn't realise I'd got so far under your skin with the old gimp jibe. Sorry about that. Also, I detect that you're still smarting about me making you look so foolish on the 'it beggars belief' thread. Again, I apologise. Glad to see you've been over to 'our wee minds' BTW, hope you enjoy the debates.

Paddy Ramone
27/02/2004, 11:48 AM
Glad to see you've been over to 'our wee minds' BTW, hope you enjoy the debates.

What debates? "The beggars are always wrong and we're always right". "We're not superprods". Everyone agrees with each other and hates the "beggars" not because they're bigoted of course. It's all part of "football rivalry".

lopez
27/02/2004, 11:59 AM
What debates? "The beggars are always wrong and we're always right". "We're not superprods". Everyone agrees with each other and hates the "beggars" not because they're bigoted of course. It's all part of "football rivalry".
Ahh sure tis only a bit o' craic. :rolleyes:

JohnB
27/02/2004, 12:24 PM

It's a pity you see it like that. Of course your view is no nearer the truth than calling this site a forum for supertims. Still, I'm heartened that we're despised by extremists on both sides, although we have only, as yet, been threatened by the superprod side.

Paddy Ramone
27/02/2004, 12:39 PM
No I'm not an "extemist". I'd actually like to see a successful Northern Ireland side. But OWC is very anti-ROI. The anti-ROI tone isn't the best stance to take if you want to attract more Catholics and Nationalists (and even liberal protestants) as supporters who have an affinity with their fellow Irishmen south of the border.

lopez
27/02/2004, 12:51 PM
Still, I'm heartened that we're despised by extremists on both sides, although we have only, as yet, been threatened by the superprod side.
:D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

JohnB
27/02/2004, 1:05 PM
No I'm not an "extemist". I'd actually like to see a successful Northern Ireland side. But OWC is very anti-ROI. The anti-ROI tone isn't the best stance to take if you want to attract more Catholics and Nationalists (and even liberal protestants) as supporters who have an affinity with their fellow Irishmen south of the border.

Erm, I have an affinity with my fellow Irishmen south of the border, but I'm also an NI supporter and a contributer on OWC. To be honest Paddy, your previous comments on this thread mirror what you object to on OWC.

Some posters on OWC have issues about the RoI team; they're seen as our biggest rivals and there's some resentment about perceived poaching of players. There are also some who object to people living in the north and supporting the RoI. But have an objective look at the site and you'll see that there is a broad range of opinions on almost every issue, including those I've just mentioned. BTW, we have regular contributions from RoI supporters and they voice strong objections to some comments, which they're welcome to do.

Duncan Gardner
01/03/2004, 9:16 AM
At risk of repeating myself :(

The house rules on OWC are simple.

No abuse. It will be deleted. Anything missed, contact me direct.

No defamation. Ditto.

Sectarian content aimed primarily at winding up unionist/ nationalist is strongly discouraged, because usually it results in the first two categories.

Davros is wrong to say everything and anything critical is excluded, though if he can't respect the categories above he'll continue to be censored.

JohnB
01/03/2004, 9:28 AM
You seem to have taken some'reason'medicine?

Those on OWB,who dislike us-Why not have Scotland,as yer biggest rivals;much closer to them,in terms of ability & a stronger cultural link for the vast majority of NE Ulster fans.....

Locals in north,supporting real Ireland team,not unreasonably object to totems of an illegal occupation by the mutants et al.Not much sign of intergration,with the native population,there!This & the past treatment of this population is why many object to such totems.

Appreciate there is a wide range of diversity of views on that site,but any anti-osc.comments are censored,............unlike here,which is Far more reasonable given the concept of 'Free speech'!
This not helped by a high level of hypocrisy re.'derogatory' comments v.OWB, which are either allowed to remain on there,if v.the Free State or includes pomopous procrastinating about how'bad','we'are!

You should check the meaning of big words before you use them. Using them incorrectly makes you look even sillier than usual. Anyway, I'm procrastinating, back to work.

lopez
01/03/2004, 10:30 AM
At risk of repeating myself. The house rules on OWC are simple.

No abuse. It will be deleted...No defamation. Ditto.
'Our purportedly "local" broadcasters set aside a full week of news time to cover the foul-mouthed outbursts and bad-tempered brawlings of one of Cork’s travelling community. Roy Keane’s departure from the Republic’s camp... In all fairness being a psychotic gipsy can be a serious problem for a person. Roy was also probably concerned about his family. I’m told it’s been a tough few years for itinerant driveway tarmaccers. Of course the most shocking thing about the Keane affair was the reaction of those fun-loving scamps, the beggar supporters...Not entirely surprising that they supported an abusive and violent scumbag when you consider we’re talking about a country where dishonesty and casual criminality are often viewed as endearing national quirks...After one of the most incompetent displays of penalty kick taking caught on camera, the Spanish went through, to the relief of every fair-minded observer. The Republic and their fans were on the plane home with only their self-delusion and whatever they’d stolen from their Asian hosts to bring with them.'

Not the words of a lone poster but part of the editorial of Ourweecountry.co.uk

For full article see http://www.ourweecountry.co.uk/worldcup02.html

JohnB
01/03/2004, 10:54 AM
If people can't understand'big'words,maybe they should consider using a dictionary.

WHOOSH!!:D

JohnB
01/03/2004, 12:15 PM
'Our purportedly "local" broadcasters set aside a full week of news time to cover the foul-mouthed outbursts and bad-tempered brawlings of one of Cork’s travelling community. Roy Keane’s departure from the Republic’s camp... In all fairness being a psychotic gipsy can be a serious problem for a person. Roy was also probably concerned about his family. I’m told it’s been a tough few years for itinerant driveway tarmaccers. Of course the most shocking thing about the Keane affair was the reaction of those fun-loving scamps, the beggar supporters...Not entirely surprising that they supported an abusive and violent scumbag when you consider we’re talking about a country where dishonesty and casual criminality are often viewed as endearing national quirks...After one of the most incompetent displays of penalty kick taking caught on camera, the Spanish went through, to the relief of every fair-minded observer. The Republic and their fans were on the plane home with only their self-delusion and whatever they’d stolen from their Asian hosts to bring with them.'

It's interesting to compare the words on that article with those of yours and, in particular, Davros. Two sides of the same coin. Personally, I think the article is ****e and I'd either have it edited or removed, just as I would a fair proportion of yours and Davros' comments removed. On this point, just as before, I'd disagree with DG, I think that on both Foot.ie and OWC there is too much stupid stereotyping of NI and RoI supporters.

nifan
01/03/2004, 1:12 PM
davros, talk about pompous all you want, but your continual insulting of anyone using OWC, calling them bigots and little minds is pompous to say the least, bigoted at worst. I have nothing against ROI fans, catholics blah blah blah but you have pigeon holed me based on the fact i am Northern Irish and support a national football team.

You must have a small mind as you keep mentioning proddy bigotry etc. You dont seem to realise that there is ******* from all communities.

Macy
01/03/2004, 1:14 PM

So fookin what - worse was written about Keane on threads here, and certainly as bad is regularly written about Dubs...

Not checked the rest of the site, but that isn't sectarian IMO, just a rant against footballing rivals...

JohnB
01/03/2004, 2:04 PM
The difference is whether or not it's a legitimate medium of Free speech.My views are representative of myself,which realistically will cause less offence;On OHB,is an ' editorial' by the site' moderator'!!

Editorials are not signed, the article by Owen is. It is his point of view.

Why you should want to mirror an article that you object to so strongly is beyond me. In any case, IMO both you and Lopez go well beyond what is written in the article by Owen. Without going through your posts, your 'integrate or fcuk off' line was paricularly offensive.

lopez
01/03/2004, 2:39 PM
...Reason this should be slagged,is apart from a personal view,an integral part of this site,as posted by their'Moderator'(By cf.,even IP may be a liberal?!)& their Intent to cause offence,which is worthy of note/censure?
The reason this is being slagged is that it makes a mockery of DG's b*llocks about the site not being abusive or defamotary.
Originally posted by Macy
So fookin what - worse was written about Keane on threads here, and certainly as bad is regularly written about Dubs...
Has anyone said that this site is free of abuse? Aren't the views of you, me, Davros and the research girl open to counterattack? Does this site have any article, approved by the moderators, calling NI fans thieves? BTW abuse of travellers is unlawfull in the Republic under the 1989 Prohibition on Incitement to Hatred Act.