PDA

View Full Version : Low disk space

Mad Moose
21/10/2009, 9:29 AM
Has anybody got any recommendations on how I might free up some space on my laptop. After years of trying to move stuff like iTunes library I ended up losing it all but freeing the space. I guess if I moved my iTunes library somewhere my computer would have so much more space but where and how can I move it. I have a 16Gb memory stick for example.

Anybody got any practical ideas?

Thanks

Pauro 76
21/10/2009, 9:31 AM
Maybe buy an external hard drive? Im sure there's decent deals for it, stick all your music and photos on there leaving room for everything else...

John83
21/10/2009, 9:42 AM
Yeah, Pauro's right.
E.g. as low as €60 here:
http://www.elara.ie/products/harddiskexternal.asp?available=checked

Mad Moose
21/10/2009, 10:26 AM
Cheers lads. I will do. Its the easiest way to manage it and it saves me having countless memory sticks too.

Thanks again.

thischarmingman
21/10/2009, 11:50 AM
Cheers lads. I will do. Its the easiest way to manage it and it saves me having countless memory sticks too.

Thanks again.

I'm going to get an external hard drive whenever I have some spare cash, but in the short term you might find this thread useful also:

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=121603

Bluebeard
21/10/2009, 1:24 PM
Once a week go to the run thing on the start menu, and dial in temp, then delete anything in that file that will delete (some may not). Then afterwards, do the same except this time dial in %temp%. It is a small amount on a weekly basis but it can really build up.

Ash
21/10/2009, 1:42 PM
You can get a TerraByte External HDD in Easons for something like €80 or
if your in NI/UK Dixons had the same ones for £70

Mad Moose
21/10/2009, 3:57 PM
Once a week go to the run thing on the start menu, and dial in temp, then delete anything in that file that will delete (some may not). Then afterwards, do the same except this time dial in %temp%. It is a small amount on a weekly basis but it can really build up.

It didn't remove a great lot of temp files but my laptop is actually moving alot quicker.

Thanks for all the advice by the way. I'll look into an exteral hard drive and see what I can get on the cheap at some stage. Moved all my pic's into one organised memory stick today so pretty happy with that. Got the rest on my work laptop and I'll move them onto the same memory disk too.

A face
21/10/2009, 8:41 PM
Start -> All Programmes -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Clean Up

Run this, takes a bit, check all the boxes and click clean up (or whatever it is) and leave that run, reboot the laptop.

When buying an external disk consider buying a USB powered one as its more mobile, saves you having to plug it it. You'll get a 500 gig one for €100. Dead handy

thischarmingman
21/10/2009, 10:51 PM

I just deleted this and removed literally thousands of files. :eek:

Mad Moose
22/10/2009, 7:25 AM

Run this, takes a bit, check all the boxes and click clean up (or whatever it is) and leave that run, reboot the laptop.

When buying an external disk consider buying a USB powered one as its more mobile, saves you having to plug it it. You'll get a 500 gig one for €100. Dead handy

Cheers. I usually do that one i.e Disk Cleanup. Mind I never reboot straight afterward. The solution here is regular clean up and I'll move stuff to an external harddrive. My laptop is skeletal at the minute. I don't particularly have that much on it at all so the memory is pretty poor anyhow.

John83
22/10/2009, 8:54 AM
The defragmenter beside it is worth using too,

thischarmingman
22/10/2009, 4:36 PM
The defragmenter beside it is worth using too,

Now there's a proper word. It sounds like something Iron Man would do.

"Honey, what are you doing upstairs?"

"Me? Oh, just defragmenting. You know how it is..."

John83
23/10/2009, 2:30 PM
Now there's a proper word. It sounds like something Iron Man would do.

"Honey, what are you doing upstairs?"

"Me? Oh, just defragmenting. You know how it is..."
Yeah, great word for something which amounts to your computer sorting out its sock drawer.

Mad Moose
17/01/2010, 10:32 PM
This might help you Elroy as I bought an external hard drive in the end and its saved me all the hassle.

jebus
18/01/2010, 7:27 PM
Are you working off Vista by any chance?

paul_oshea
19/01/2010, 1:02 PM
I once had a problem with my timing belt, so I changed the Engine.

Deckydee
21/01/2010, 10:18 AM
I use the software known as Privacy Guardian. Deletes all the crap off your PC.