PDA

View Full Version : Gary Cahill

KK77
20/10/2009, 9:28 AM
Would be happy with this.

Giovanni Trapattoni is ready to do the Italian Job on Fabio Capello and steal Gary Cahill from under his nose.

Trapattoni wants to pinch Bolton defender Cahill from old Serie A adversary Capello and hand him a chance of playing for the Republic of Ireland at next year’s World Cup.

Cahill qualifies for Ireland due to one of his grandparents coming from the country and Trapattoni has been alerted to his availability, following new Fifa rules installed last week.

The 23-year-old has played for the England Under-21s and was called up to Capello’s senior squad last week.

But he was not even on the bench against either Ukraine or Belarus and Trapattoni is set to pounce by offering him an international future with Ireland - who could still qualify for next year’s World Cup.

Park_Lane
20/10/2009, 9:33 AM
Do you have a source foer this? Very unlikely seeing as he was in a recent England squad.

macdermesser
20/10/2009, 9:35 AM
I read that this morning on the BBC gossip page .. think it is from a tabloid .. mirror or the sun. I doubt very much that he is going to switch now - sounds like a lazy column to fill a few inches on a newspaper or rile some of their readers

youngirish
20/10/2009, 9:36 AM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Republic-of-Ireland-boss-Giovanni-Trapattoni-swoops-for-England-s-Gary-Cahill-article194295.html

Leave him for England I say. Happy enough with Dunne/O'Shea/St Ledger filling that position with O'Dea hopefully to come into contention over the next year or so.

Polster
20/10/2009, 9:46 AM
Very good defender, only 23, if it meant we had him long term, id give him the call up now. Doubt he will come though.

seanfhear
20/10/2009, 9:51 AM
The wages and the transfer fee's that an England international can get are substantially more than an Irish international can get not to mention advertising endorsements.

It may not be fair but thats the way it is.

Terry and Ferguson will be getting on after the next world cup and if Cahill can get a move to one of the big clubs he may become a regular England international.

I do not believe that Cahill will switch to Ireland and I would say this is just paper filling nonsense.

SuperDave
20/10/2009, 10:17 AM
The wages and the transfer fee's that an England international can get are substantially more than an Irish international can get not to mention advertising endorsements.

It may not be fair but thats the way it is.

Terry and Ferguson will be getting on after the next world cup and if Cahill can get a move to one of the big clubs he may become a regular England international.

I do not believe that Cahill will switch to Ireland and I would say this is just paper filling nonsense.

It depends on quality. Paul McGrath being Irish rather than English didn't harm his career. Same for John O'Shea. I don't think it makes a difference.

rambler14
20/10/2009, 11:03 AM
He's going to the World Cup with England. Forget him.

seanfhear
20/10/2009, 11:12 AM
It depends on quality. Paul McGrath being Irish rather than English didn't harm his career. Same for John O'Shea. I don't think it makes a difference.
Do you think that Terry would be on the same money at Chelsea if he was an Irish international.

English players are transferred between english clubs for more money than if they were not English. It does not make sense but its true.

The reason some clubs put pressure on players to declare for England is that a player representing England is worth more in the transfer market.

If you are worth more in the transfer market them you can also get higher wages.

boovidge
20/10/2009, 11:18 AM
Cahill plays for England because he's English, not because he's under any pressure to do so.

youngirish
20/10/2009, 11:42 AM

Not true all English Internationals are ridiculously overhyped and ridiculously overpriced. Nothing unfortunately to do with quality. Look at the disparity in the Dicky Dunne Joleon Lescott transfer fees if you need anymore proof.

Stuttgart88
20/10/2009, 11:44 AM
I really don't want anyonne who has turned us down in the past being pursued. It's a simple principle.

I fully understand the concept of dual-nationality but once these guys say no then that's it for me. I don't care if they'd enhance the team.

SuperDave
20/10/2009, 11:56 AM
Not true all English Internationals are ridiculously overhyped and ridiculously overpriced. Nothing unfortunately to do with quality. Look at the disparity in the Dicky Dunne Joleon Lescott transfer fees if you need anymore proof.

well, uefa training regulations etc etc may play a part.... and cahill would have all the requisite training requirements in england, as would anyone who played for ireland

but yes, it does play a part, maybe down to endorsements, shirt sales etc

or maybe it is just hype and overpricing..... i don't know. but my point still stands that quality players are not overlooked in favour of other players just cos the other players are english. not yet. Platini might be planning that but it hasn't come to pass just yet.

seanfhear
20/10/2009, 12:04 PM
Some of the reason foreign players are brought into the premier league is that English clubs are looking for a lot of money for English players that have not yet proved themselves.

macdermesser
20/10/2009, 12:07 PM
I think this was the Aston Villa player that Stan was going on about back in 2006 (I think people jumped to the conclusion that it was Milner). So .. this story is three years old and he turned down the opportunity back when he could not break into the Villa team. So, he is hardly going to join us now when he is being bandied about as the next Man United/Arsenal centre half.

Wangball
20/10/2009, 12:21 PM
I'm gonna come across very cynical but I wouldn't be enitrely surprised if this story was leaked by the player's agent.

Think about it, he's obviously a very talented player and apparently in demand at the moment. His agent leaks this story, the English management take note and not wanting to lose a guy whose beeen touted as top 4 team centre half they cap him in their next match (a meaningless friendly) he is then a recognised England international, his value will therefore shoot up, therefore increasing the agents commision

I suspect the whole Zat Knight declaring for Ireland thing was engineered along the same lines

stiffler
20/10/2009, 12:21 PM
Would rather see some of our young players such as Marc Wilson at Portsmouth get a chance to be honest.

Wangball
20/10/2009, 12:22 PM
Would rather see some of our young players such as Marc Wilson at Portsmouth get a chance to be honest.

Couldn't agree more

Henry Chinaski
20/10/2009, 2:17 PM
hope this doesn't develop into another Kevin Nolan type saga.

Capello obviously rates Cahill very highly. No chance he'll make the switch now

SkStu
20/10/2009, 2:36 PM
I'm gonna come across very cynical but I wouldn't be enitrely surprised if this story was leaked by the player's agent.

Think about it, he's obviously a very talented player and apparently in demand at the moment. His agent leaks this story, the English management take note and not wanting to lose a guy whose beeen touted as top 4 team centre half they cap him in their next match (a meaningless friendly) he is then a recognised England international, his value will therefore shoot up, therefore increasing the agents commision

I suspect the whole Zat Knight declaring for Ireland thing was engineered along the same lines

this sounds about right to me.

Razors left peg
20/10/2009, 4:56 PM
not a hope this will happen.The lad grew up supporting England and is now a squad member for them with a good chance of making Englands world cup squad so there isnt a hope he will now decide that he is Irish

Kevin77
21/10/2009, 5:34 AM

You horrible cynical man!

So true it hurts! I've rarely read a probably more accurate post on any other forum

Deckydee
21/10/2009, 10:48 AM
From clubcall:

Bolton defender Gary Cahill could get his wish of going to the World Cup with the Repubic of Ireland, according to reports.

Cahill has been called up into the last few England squads for friendly and World Cup qualifying games but has yet to make an appearance for Fabio Capello's outfit and that could leave the door open for the Republic.

The Republic will have to fight their way past France in the play-offs to make it to South Africa next summer but if they do then reports claim Giovanni Trapattoni will try and lure Cahill.

The Trotters defender is eligible to play for Ireland through a grandparent and it would be a tough decision for the player to make if he did have the option.

Cahill is tipped to be an England star of the future but it is not everyday that a chance to play in the World Cup comes along and it is unlikely he will be going with England next summer.

boovidge
22/10/2009, 12:19 AM
With the World Cup looming next summer, Wanderers defender Gary Cahill is determined to take the pitch in an England jersey.

With the back-up centre-half places far from nailed down, Cahill wants the chance to impress national coach Fabio Capello and challenge for a place in the final squad for South Africa.

The Bolton defender has yet to start despite having been called up for Capello’s last three squads.

He told the Daily Express: “A few months ago, South Africa was not even on my mind.

“Then, when I was called up to the long squad, the next step was that when somebody was injured I knew I was going to get the call.

“Now I am there, I want to get my first cap - get on the pitch. If you get that chance, you either take it or you don't. But I'd like to show I deserve that opportunity.'

He will be hoping to get the nod in one of the friendlies England will play between now and the World Cup, starting with Brazil next month in Qatar.

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/premiership/123661-bolton%E2%80%99s-cahill-desperate-for-first-england-cap.html

SkStu
22/10/2009, 12:20 AM
stage two of the agent/player strategy complete.

TrapAPony
16/12/2009, 3:19 PM
Cahill still didn't get a cap when the English reserve team played Brazil, the only new squad member not to. He's playing well for Bolton at the moment but there are already 4 centre halfs ahead of him for England ie. Terry, Ferdinand, Lescott & Upson. Then you add in King, Woodgate, Dawson, Brown, Jagielka (due back soon). I cannot see him making England's World Cup squad by any means.

Nagger
17/12/2009, 8:07 AM
Dont think he'll ever play for Ireland. You might aswell close the thread ;-)

EalingGreen
17/12/2009, 4:03 PM
Cahill still didn't get a cap when the English reserve team played Brazil, the only new squad member not to. He's playing well for Bolton at the moment but there are already 4 centre halfs ahead of him for England ie. Terry, Ferdinand, Lescott & Upson. Then you add in King, Woodgate, Dawson, Brown, Jagielka (due back soon). I cannot see him making England's World Cup squad by any means.
Capello sets enormous (total?) store on his players needing to prove their fitness, by playing consistently for their club, before he will even consider them for SA.

That immediately rules out King and Woodgate, as well as posing serious questions over Upson, Brown and Jagielka.

As for Terry and Ferdinand, whilst they are clearly Capello's ideal first choice (King's knees ruling him out of contention), each has had his season severely hampered by injury.

Moreover, in terms of quality, I'm not sure he rates Dawson generally, or Brown since his disastrous display at Full back a few months back.

As for Lescott, although Capello seems to rate him (not least for his versatility), he has not settled into his move to City, so his form is dreadful.

Meantime, Cahill is producing the form of his life, week-in, week-out for Bolton....

Therefore, I'd say he's still "odds against" making the trip, but those odds appear to be shortening as the time gets closer, not lengthening.

Razors left peg
17/12/2009, 4:08 PM
Capello sets enormous (total?) store on his players needing to prove their fitness, by playing consistently for their club, before he will even consider them for SA.

That immediately rules out King and Woodgate, as well as posing serious questions over Upson, Brown and Jagielka.

As for Terry and Ferdinand, whilst they are clearly Capello's ideal first choice (King's knees ruling him out of contention), each has had his season severely hampered by injury.

Moreover, in terms of quality, I'm not sure he rates Dawson generally, or Brown since his disastrous display at Full back a few months back.

As for Lescott, although Capello seems to rate him (not least for his versatility), he has not settled into his move to City, so his form is dreadful.

Meantime, Cahill is producing the form of his life, week-in, week-out for Bolton....

Therefore, I'd say he's still "odds against" making the trip, but those odds appear to be shortening as the time gets closer, not lengthening.

Doesnt seem to let that affect him picking Heskey who is very in and out at Villa

EalingGreen
17/12/2009, 4:21 PM
Doesnt seem to let that affect him picking Heskey who is very in and out at Villa

Too true, but what alternative target men to Heskey does Capello have?

People usually think of Crouch in that role, but from what I've seen of him at Spurs, I think they're being seriously misled by his height. That is, Crouch is not actually that good in the air (though imo is much better with the ball at his feet than ever given credit for).

Moreover, he has little of Heskey's great strength or pace (though is more creative and miles better as a finisher). In any case, Capello seems not to rate him, despite his goals record for England being outstanding.

Anyhow, Dean Ashton has retired and Carlton Cole needs to prove himself over a full season - something he hasn't ever done in his career to date.

And whilst Rooney is good enough to play up front, his best role is clearly in the hole behind a front two, so Capello doesn't want to waste his prize asset to cover for someone else.

And beyond those players? :confused:

Acornvilla
17/12/2009, 5:23 PM
Too true, but what alternative target men to Heskey does Capello have?

People usually think of Crouch in that role, but from what I've seen of him at Spurs, I think they're being seriously misled by his height. That is, Crouch is not actually that good in the air (though imo is much better with the ball at his feet than ever given credit for).

Moreover, he has little of Heskey's great strength or pace (though is more creative and miles better as a finisher). In any case, Capello seems not to rate him, despite his goals record for England being outstanding.

Anyhow, Dean Ashton has retired and Carlton Cole needs to prove himself over a full season - something he hasn't ever done in his career to date.

And whilst Rooney is good enough to play up front, his best role is clearly in the hole behind a front two, so Capello doesn't want to waste his prize asset to cover for someone else.

And beyond those players? :confused:
crouch was a brilliant target man (with his haed and feet) yesterday and won the header to set up defoes goal he was very impressive

tetsujin1979
18/12/2009, 12:37 AM

really good article on football365.com a few months ago on the merits of Heskey VS Defoe in the national side here: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,13320_5542421,00.html
Basically, Defoe has scored more, but Heskey allows more players to score.

Charlie Darwin
07/08/2010, 7:33 PM
Called up to the England squad apparently.

The Fly
07/08/2010, 9:32 PM
Called up to the England squad apparently.

Close thread!

ArdeeBhoy
07/08/2010, 10:16 PM
Or call him up for Ireland!
;)

The Fly
07/08/2010, 10:30 PM
Or call him up for Ireland!
;)

Nah.........just close the thread.

Paddy Garcia
08/08/2010, 1:41 PM