PDA

View Full Version : This should be our blueprint for beating the French

NeilMcD
19/10/2009, 9:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAWkWrf2j-k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nmtB7rBs3M&feature=related

rambler14
19/10/2009, 10:01 PM
It at least proves it's possible. We havn't got a player of the skill of James McFadden though?........no wait, Andy Reid actually scratch that!:rolleyes:

NeilMcD
19/10/2009, 10:07 PM
Robbie Keane is a much better player than McFadden in my view.

irishfan86
19/10/2009, 10:17 PM
Robbie Keane is a much better player than McFadden in my view.

Agreed, but McFadden can do certain things that Robbie can't.

irishultra
19/10/2009, 10:19 PM
problem is scotland had better central midfielders, tighter defence and better team ethic than we do now at that time and thats as bad as france are gonna get but we need something to give us hope:)

Duggie
20/10/2009, 1:18 PM
Agreed, but McFadden can do certain things that Robbie can't.

haha did i read this right. like what. :rolleyes:

SkStu
20/10/2009, 2:40 PM
grow a rats tail from the back of his head for one.

irishfan86
20/10/2009, 5:47 PM
haha did i read this right. like what. :rolleyes:

I would say that McFadden is better beating a man one on one, and is quicker than Robbie. I also feel McFadden has a better long range shot (outside of the 18 yard box).

Robbie is more effective in the box, has far superior vision, and is a more consistent player.

Doesn't mean I'm talking Robbie down, he's just a completely different player with a different skill set.

backstothewall
20/10/2009, 6:00 PM
It at least proves it's possible. We havn't got a player of the skill of James McFadden though?........no wait, Andy Reid actually scratch that!:rolleyes:

Is there anything that can't somehow be related to Andygate by the Dunphyites??? I'm sure if i look hard enough the real controversy with NAMA is that trap won't call up Andy Reid

evin_gla
20/10/2009, 10:47 PM
have lived in Glasgow for 5 years and in that time have been to most Scotland home games (and a couple of aways) and have seen probably more of their games than our own and I would definitely say that we have a better team and a better squad now than what they had then (and I think France were probably better then also ).
maybe not by a long way but i really think we do and i think my Scottish mates would agree.

i think they'd also agree that they had a fair bit of luck and close shaves in those two wins.
but then that's hardly news to us, like any underdogs we'll need a bit of luck to beat the French but these Scotland games show it can be done.
and if we do manage it we'll actually qualify unlike the unlucky Scots.
Come on Ireland !

irishultra
20/10/2009, 11:01 PM
I just don't feel that positive. Brown, Fletcher and Ferguson are a good bit better than our current midfield of Whelan and Andrews. We won't go through by allowing France dictate that is for certain. We need to keep possession. I pray Steven Reid is back because Trap is too conservative to do anything else. He cost Salzburg a CL place a few years back and he could do the same with us. I mean if we push France all the way I won't be jumping on Traps back but if we play the way I think we will and go out with a wimper I will be very annoyed.

Closed Account 2
21/10/2009, 2:28 AM
We've other players who can shoot from distance so I dont see how Robbie's supposed lack of this skill means we cant score against the French from distance. Midfielders like Whelan and S.Reid have better long range shots than McFadden and are more likely to get time on the ball in shooting areas than Robbie (who will be more tightly marked). Also he#s not that bad at shooting from distance - remember his goal in Amsterdam vs Holland in the summer of 2004 ?

Murfinator
21/10/2009, 8:49 AM

I've heard some pessimistic things about the quality of the Irish team but this one takes the cake. We have about 10-15 players more skillful than McFadden, which isn't saying much at all.

dynamo kerry
22/10/2009, 9:57 AM
I just don't feel that positive. Brown, Fletcher and Ferguson are a good bit better than our current midfield of Whelan and Andrews. We won't go through by allowing France dictate that is for certain. We need to keep possession. I pray Steven Reid is back because Trap is too conservative to do anything else. He cost Salzburg a CL place a few years back and he could do the same with us. I mean if we push France all the way I won't be jumping on Traps back but if we play the way I think we will and go out with a wimper I will be very annoyed.

Brown only played in the away fixture. Otherwise it was ferguson, fletch and hartley.

That's not a frightening midfield. Ferguson was probably dragging the team backwards, fletch the key man as hartley was playing better than he ever played in his career and is porbably marginally better than our current mob if he was at all.

Brown in the other game was still very much a fledgling in international terms and can't be considered a world beater then (or now)

having watch both those games it was a case of caldwell getting lucky and a moment of genius from mcfady.

We can certainly emulate them with a bit of luck going our way

dynamo kerry
22/10/2009, 10:00 AM
I've heard some pessimistic things about the quality of the Irish team but this one takes the cake. We have about 10-15 players more skillful than McFadden, which isn't saying much at all.

mcfadden is an exceptional international player, pace, good control and an appettite to take on all comers. International football teams all have their weak links unlike club football where it's much tighter. McFadden (like david healy) is very good at finding these gaps and exploiting them.

he might look average for birmingham but he's never let Scotland down. Clearly you don't watch a lot of Scottish internationals (why would you I grant you) but going by some of your other posts I wonder if you're on the troll.

As it happens we also have players like this - dunne, hunt x 2,