PDA

View Full Version : New Clubs for 2010 ?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

chimpster
05/12/2009, 8:37 AM
I assume clubs will find out if they are in the A-League before the 31st of March, days before the league starts..

Licences are issued on 31st March, but I think privisional decisions are made in late Feb. Lots to trash out between now and then, Kildare down, Salthill not going up (apparently), Derry and Cork in the s#@* and one or two others wobbling. If another club goes bust there will prob be 2 divs of 10 in LOI, if not I guess someone will have to go up from the A league.

But the big question is: can any of the 5 A-league sides get a First Div licence? Cobh have the ground but their finances are all over the shop, don't think any of the others have the ground... :confused:

05/12/2009, 12:01 PM
Licences are issued on 31st March, but I think privisional decisions are made in late Feb. Lots to trash out between now and then, Kildare down, Salthill not going up (apparently), Derry and Cork in the s#@* and one or two others wobbling. If another club goes bust there will prob be 2 divs of 10 in LOI, if not I guess someone will have to go up from the A league.

But the big question is: can any of the 5 A-league sides get a First Div licence? Cobh have the ground but their finances are all over the shop, don't think any of the others have the ground... :confused:Tullamore have a brand new stand at their new complex, I think they could get a license, but from what I saw they don't have the local support to sustain a season in the 1st division. Salthill have everything but the stand and Celtic would need a stand and other improvements such as new dressing rooms, but I think they would have the support.

sadloserkid
05/12/2009, 1:03 PM
Presume the current five first teams (Carlow, Castlebar, Cobh, Tralee, Tullamore) are all staying, will be joined by the B sides of the ten Premier teams (depending on what happens Cork) and probably Derry and Harps reserves also. It'll be a while before we know about new clubs joining, Tralee didn't get their licence until just before last Christmas, so will be much the same this year. Like last year, it should re-start the first weekend in April.

Seem to remember hearing that we're considering entering the A Championship again too.

culloty82
05/12/2009, 4:18 PM
Excellent, could do with a few Munster derbies to draw the crowds, Cork fans saying that FORAS FC could still enter, even if City sort everything out.

SÓC
07/12/2009, 1:10 AM
Cork fans saying that FORAS FC could still enter, even if City sort everything out.

Not correct.

sadloserkid
07/12/2009, 11:40 AM
Also any link regarding Salthill's change of heart? Or is it propoganda? :)

Martinho II
07/12/2009, 5:29 PM
Also any link regarding Salthill's change of heart? Or is it propoganda? :)

if salthill arent going for it who will be the new club instead?:confused:

culloty82
07/12/2009, 10:18 PM
Probably Castlebar, as you'd imagine it would drop down to the next team in that group, but as has been said, would any team bar Cobh meet the FAI ground criteria?

Acornvilla
07/12/2009, 10:38 PM
Probably Castlebar, as you'd imagine it would drop down to the next team in that group, but as has been said, would any team bar Cobh meet the FAI ground criteria?
cobh to pop in place so! or cork??

and bray given a reprieve?

07/12/2009, 11:59 PM
Probably Castlebar, as you'd imagine it would drop down to the next team in that group, but as has been said, would any team bar Cobh meet the FAI ground criteria?Celtic wouldnt have the grounds or wouldn't want to go into it currently i'd say.

peadar1987
08/12/2009, 9:27 PM
Celtic wouldnt have the grounds or wouldn't want to go into it currently i'd say.

What are the ground requirements for the first division? From pictures I've seen of Celtic Park it looks like a better ground than the Carlisle!

08/12/2009, 11:03 PM
What are the ground requirements for the first division? From pictures I've seen of Celtic Park it looks like a better ground than the Carlisle!Well the places Celtic would slip up on would be the requirement to have a minimum of 500 covered seats, first aid room and media facilities. There is no seats at the moment in Celtic Park

Acornvilla
09/12/2009, 1:13 PM
Well the places Celtic would slip up on would be the requirement to have a minimum of 500 covered seats, first aid room and media facilities. There is no seats at the moment in Celtic Park
i think he was trying to be funny mate? :rolleyes:

peadar1987
09/12/2009, 1:38 PM
i think he was trying to be funny mate? :rolleyes:

Trying and failing! :(

culloty82
09/12/2009, 4:53 PM
Well the places Celtic would slip up on would be the requirement to have a minimum of 500 covered seats, first aid room and media facilities. There is no seats at the moment in Celtic Park

That's the capacity that was given for the stand at Mounthawk when it was finished, and you'd expect the KDL to have first aid facilities. That said, Tralee probably wouldn't take up the offer either this year, as they need at least another season in the A league to develop the squad.

prince20
09/12/2009, 5:16 PM
Hey guys,
What is the closing date for applications for the A league?

Thanks

athloneman
09/12/2009, 8:32 PM
strong rumours around athlone that the AIT are entering a team in the A league with mickey o connor as manager.

peadar1987
09/12/2009, 11:06 PM
strong rumours around athlone that the AIT are entering a team in the A league with mickey o connor as manager.

Athlone IT? Is there really the demand in Athlone for a second team? Most places barely seem able to sustain one

athloneman
09/12/2009, 11:21 PM
probally not but there is lot of ex athlone players playing junior football around the town. there are some good junior teams around the town, st.peters, willow park and i have a friend who plays with monksland united and they have 9 ex athlone players who have at least played u 21s.st.peters and willow played in the fai junior cup earlier on in the year and there was 300-400 at it. also i believe there is some bad blood between mickey and athlone!

Dodge
10/12/2009, 12:56 AM
Any sign of Gentex coming back in?

athloneman
10/12/2009, 2:56 PM
i dont think so, they kinda fell apart, folded for a couple of years but are back again but are well down the divisions in the combined counties league!!

pineapple stu
10/12/2009, 4:24 PM
Jesus, they'd want to improve!

TWx602tJMMw

citybone
10/12/2009, 9:40 PM
Jesus, they'd want to improve!

TWx602tJMMw

Are they the yellow or Red?

culloty82
11/12/2009, 7:41 AM
Hey guys,
What is the closing date for applications for the A league?

Thanks

The end of October, but if the licences aren't given out til February, I'd chance sending in the form anyway.

Going through all the rumours, here is the current state of play:

Definite (15):

FC Carlow
Castlebar Celtic
Cobh Ramblers
Tralee Dynamos
Tullamore Town
Bohemians B
Shamrock Rovers B
UCD B
Sporting Fingal B
St. Patricks Athletic B
Galway United B
Sligo Rovers B
Finn Harps B
Dundalk B
Drogheda B

Probable (4):

Athlone IT (unconfirmed)
Cork City B (pending licence)
Derry City B (depending on licence, squad, budget)
Limerick FC B (according to club, unconfirmed)

Unlikely (2):

AFC Cork (only if City wound up/expelled)
Salthill Devon (First Division unless confirmed otherwise)

pineapple stu
11/12/2009, 9:09 AM
Are they the yellow or Red?
I shudder from watching the clip again, but they're the team scoring the goals. The game ended 3-3, but the highlights are only of their goals.

Riddickcule
14/12/2009, 9:43 PM
AFC Cork

I laughed so hard, i don't know why :D

micls
14/12/2009, 9:52 PM

Looking in a mirror while reading?

culloty82
15/12/2009, 4:15 PM

It was either that or FC City of Cork, but that just sounded daft.

Riddickcule
15/12/2009, 9:56 PM
Looking in a mirror while reading?
How can i do that if i'm looking at the computer screen typing?

:(

culloty82
16/12/2009, 5:15 PM
On a more serious note, it looks as though FORAS's hand could well be forced on the A licence unless City are bought out before Monday. Obviously, things could drag on even longer, but would any new club then have enough time to prepare for the new season?

theboy
17/12/2009, 8:37 AM
things must be ok down in Cork behind the scenes as R.Collins is taking the managers job... Will or have Cork City had a 2nd team in the A-league?? If derry can sort there problems then the leagues should be the same as last season, apart of course of the teams goin up and down.

Any more teams confirmed for entering in the A-League for next season?

culloty82
28/12/2009, 6:35 PM
Sorry for the delay, but first thought it best to see what happened, and then haven't been on the site over Christmas. I've plenty of friends living in Cork so I wish them well, but hard to see them paying back €150k, so Cobh could well be bumped up. No more word on new clubs, but Dynamos could also find themselves in the First Division if there are any developments with other clubs.

Dillonman
02/01/2010, 11:59 AM
Will Bray and Derry be keeping their clubs this year in the A league? Limerick will have a team this year.

culloty82
02/01/2010, 7:10 PM
The A league would need Derry to strengthen the northern section, so if they can't field a B team, the only option will be to put in a few of the Dublin sides. As for Bray, they'll only enter if they end up back in the Premier in the coming weeks.

theboy
05/01/2010, 9:43 AM
Any word on when things will be finalised for the A-League this year?

culloty82
06/01/2010, 7:18 AM
I'd imagine nothing will be decided before Licensing Day next month, but after that you'd expect the groups to be announced in early March.

theboy
06/01/2010, 8:46 AM
I'd imagine nothing will be decided before Licensing Day next month, but after that you'd expect the groups to be announced in early March.

Fair play thanks.

Harry West
17/01/2010, 1:03 PM
I am a newcomer to the site. Looking in from Wales where I follow my local team Haverfordwest County in the Welsh Premier League. As a hobby, for many years, I also have kept a note of the attendances and levels of support for teams operating at all levels in Britain and Ireland where the figures or guide figures can be found.

I wonder if any of the teams mentioned on this thread has much support in terms of attendance at ordinary league games? I haven't seen any figures for the A Championship so don't know what sort of figures they should be getting in order to stand a chance of matching the reserve outfits or the likes of Tralee Dynamo, Castlebar Celtic etc.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the figures in the A Championship and which up and coming teams might have enough support to step up in the next few seasons?

culloty82
18/01/2010, 7:59 AM
You're very welcome, always good to have new members on board. Unfortunately, none of the A Championship teams kept official attendances last year, but Castlebar and Tralee both roughly averaged 150 last year, which isn't far off the 200 of smaller First Division teams like Mervue and Monaghan, and because both teams are from counties with a strong regional identity and sporting tradition, they would be expected to make the breakthrough in 2-3 years. Cobh were a League club until they went bankrupt, and if Cork City are liquidated in two weeks, they will apply to rejoin the League and gain the Cork support. There's no English-style pyramid below the A Championship, so any interested team in regional or county leagues can join the division if they meet the licensing conditions.

theboy
19/01/2010, 4:11 PM
so with salthill taken the option to join the 1st division how will this affect the number of teams in last years group, or is there many teams entering to cover for them moving up. also if the LOI is starting the 1st week in March, will the A-League be startin the same weekend?

culloty82
19/01/2010, 4:44 PM
All that's certain is that the A League will be starting 1st of April. Don't know how the groups will be arranged, but there will have to be changes as Derry mightn't have a reserve team, the other section would be largely unchanged as adding in Limerick B will be cancelled out by Cobh/new Cork in Division 1.

culloty82
20/01/2010, 2:52 PM
Pending licences, these are the teams likely to be in each section (based on the groups last season).

Northern Section:

Castlebar
Derry B (if their squad is big enough)
Drogheda B
Dundalk B
Finn Harps B
Galway B
Sligo B
Fingal B (moved to replace Salthill)
Tullamore

Southern Section:

Bohemians B
Bray B
Carlow
Cork/Cobh (depending on takeover/licence)
Limerick B
St Pats B
Shamrock Rovers B
Tralee
UCD B

theboy
21/01/2010, 8:11 AM
Pending licences, these are the teams likely to be in each section (based on the groups last season).

Northern Section:

Castlebar
Derry B (if their squad is big enough)
Drogheda B
Dundalk B
Finn Harps B
Galway B
Sligo B
Fingal B (moved to replace Salthill)
Tullamore

Southern Section:

Bohemians B
Bray B
Carlow
Cork/Cobh (depending on takeover/licence)
Limerick B
St Pats B
Shamrock Rovers B
Tralee
UCD B

when are the licences confirmed? or is there to much goin on with the likes of cork and derry before they can confirm anymore??

FlapjackJoe
22/01/2010, 7:19 AM
when are the licences confirmed? or is there to much goin on with the likes of cork and derry before they can confirm anymore??

Last year, it was the 16th of February or so. That's the day we should know the Premier and First Division constitutions. The A Championship groups will only be announced later.

culloty82
22/01/2010, 7:22 AM
The licences are confirmed the 14th of February, Derry should be OK, but as they're still cobbling a squad together for the First Division, the A league wouldn't be their top priority. As for Cork, let's just say that by tomorrow week, FORAS could still be starting off in the A Championship under that name. In that scenario, you can be pretty guaranteed that Cobh would move up to replace them as Tralee wouldn't be ready in time. The groups shouldn't be much different either way though.

Sam_Heggy
22/01/2010, 9:52 PM
The licences are confirmed the 14th of February, Derry should be OK, but as they're still cobbling a squad together for the First Division, the A league wouldn't be their top priority. As for Cork, let's just say that by tomorrow week, FORAS could still be starting off in the A Championship under that name. In that scenario, you can be pretty guaranteed that Cobh would move up to replace them as Tralee wouldn't be ready in time. The groups shouldn't be much different either way though.

Derry have a seperate manager signing players for the A League so I doubt very much if Kennys transfer dealings have any bearing on the A League.
Its the same at Harps, although the managers are in regular contact, it's essentially Paddy Foys decision.

23/01/2010, 12:24 AM
Derry have a seperate manager signing players for the A League so I doubt very much if Kennys transfer dealings have any bearing on the A League.
Its the same at Harps, although the managers are in regular contact, it's essentially Paddy Foys decision.Will Harps have a team in the A Championship this year?

Sam_Heggy
10/02/2010, 12:22 PM
Afaik, Harps are the only First Division side to have an A League squad this season, so looks like Derry, Limerick and Bray can be taken out of the above lists.

culloty82
10/02/2010, 4:09 PM
Only included Bray on the assumption they'd be promoted to replace Cork, but seems that could be Waterford or Shelbourne now. Interestingly, the master fixture list on Dynamos' site has 18 league games scheduled, so with 10 Premier reserves, Harps B and the five senior teams from last year, that suggests we can expect four new clubs this season.

culloty82
15/02/2010, 11:05 AM
Bumping this thread up again so people will post news on licences, new clubs etc as it comes in today.