PDA

View Full Version : Relegation

longfordjames
18/10/2009, 3:54 PM
How do people think it will go.IMO Bray will go automatically.I dont think it would be fair for Pats to go down becuse they are too good and quigley Dempsey are not Div 1 players.Drogheda look destined for a play-off but who else?As I said I dont think Pats deserve it so Sligo or Galway?Sligo are in good form so I'll predict Galway.

Mr A
18/10/2009, 4:15 PM
If Pats go down they deserve it for being crap, full stop.

That said, there's other clubs than those mentioned that will be hard pressed to stay in the top flight, albeit not for football reasons.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
18/10/2009, 4:32 PM
Bray - automatically

Drogheda - Play - off spot

A face
18/10/2009, 4:34 PM
If Pats went down would we see Shels playing at Richer next season? Pats wouldn't turn down an extra money i dont think

redobit
18/10/2009, 4:42 PM
How do people think it will go.IMO Bray will go automatically.I dont think it would be fair for Pats to go down becuse they are too good and quigley Dempsey are not Div 1 players.Drogheda look destined for a play-off but who else?As I said I dont think Pats deserve it so Sligo or Galway?Sligo are in good form so I'll predict Galway.

Your right, Im gona tell the Rovers players the next time time I see them not to bother their ar**s for the rest of the season. And the 10 points youve picked up in the last 4 games to put ye into a decent position aren't deserving of survival.

Roo69
18/10/2009, 5:13 PM

Pats are far from being to good to go down. They were extremely lucky to beat us 2-0 last Friday night. We pretty much dominated them in the 2nd half but for our continous lack of finishing we should have beaten them.

If we fail to beat Dundalk on Tuesday we will go down, if we win we have every chance of finishing 9th.

sligofan4ever
18/10/2009, 5:41 PM
Its going to be a very exciting finish to the end of the season. Rovers vs Drogs will most likely be the nght we see where Drogs finished, they're still capable of finishing 8th but still not good enough for them. Personally, going by form I can see us staying up, provided we keep our superior GD we should be sound, but really want to see us finish a fe wpoints clear of the 8th placed team on the final night. Its amazing to see a team who finished second last year fighting for their premier division status now!

peadar1987
18/10/2009, 6:40 PM
With Bray and Drogheda both struggling for form, just one result for either of us could make the difference. From what I've seen this season, Sligo are the ones who are too good to go down between themselves, Pat's and Galway.

Of course, if the FAI have any nuts left, we should see at least one team relegated for financial reasons. I'd prefer if it weren't necessary, but if teams have broken the rules, it has to be done.

pineapple stu
18/10/2009, 6:43 PM
Interesting scenario - Bray go down, Drogheda lose the play-offs (let's say). After that, Cork are relegated for failing to get a licence. Who gets reprieved? Bray or Drogheda? Technically, you'd imagine Cork should be deemed to finish last, which would require a new play-off involving Bray and Drogheda.

PartySaint
18/10/2009, 6:47 PM
Pats are far from being to good to go down. They were extremely lucky to beat us 2-0 last Friday night. We pretty much dominated them in the 2nd half but for our continous lack of finishing we should have beaten them.

Eh dont no about that,

I thought Bray would go down automatically with Drogs and Galway in the Playoffs but Galways win on Friday really messed my thinking up, so now i think it will be ourselves and Drogs in the playoff, Our run in now is very tough and i dont see us picking up many points, I think that a first division team will win the playoff

peadar1987
18/10/2009, 6:50 PM
Interesting scenario - Bray go down, Drogheda lose the play-offs (let's say). After that, Cork are relegated for failing to get a licence. Who gets reprieved? Bray or Drogheda? Technically, you'd imagine Cork should be deemed to finish last, which would require a new play-off involving Bray and Drogheda.

The FAI should have an absolutely concrete plan for such an eventuality. If they don't no matter what happens, they'd be accused of bias. Could you imagine the uproar if Sporting Fingal ended up promoted in a situation where the rules were slightly ambiguous? At least 50% of Shelbourne's support would spontaneously combust on the spot!

OneForTheFuture
18/10/2009, 7:18 PM
The FAI should have an absolutely concrete plan for such an eventuality. If they don't no matter what happens, they'd be accused of bias. Could you imagine the uproar if Sporting Fingal ended up promoted in a situation where the rules were slightly ambiguous? At least 50% of Shelbourne's support would spontaneously combust on the spot!

Only 50%:eek:

Hairy Bowsie
18/10/2009, 7:19 PM
Could you imagine the uproar if Sporting Fingal ended up promoted in a situation where the rules were slightly ambiguous? At least 50% of Shelbourne's support would spontaneously combust on the spot!

Correct :D

Schumi
18/10/2009, 7:45 PM
If we're not in the playoffs, I'm hoping for a Pats v Shels playoff final. Could be very entertaining!

fanatic
18/10/2009, 8:00 PM
could someone explain the promotion relegation for me, was wondering all day bout it :confused:

1 automatic relegation ? and the other a playoff ?

peadar1987
18/10/2009, 8:02 PM
could someone explain the promotion relegation for me, was wondering all day bout it :confused:

1 automatic relegation ? and the other a playoff ?

Bottom in the Prem goes down automatically
Top in Divison 1 goes up automatically

8th and 9th in the Prem have a playoff
2nd and 3rd in Div 1 have a playoff

The winner of the Div 1 playoff then plays the loser of the Prem playoff for the right to play in the Prem the next season.

Of course everything goes out the window if clubs start getting relegated for financial problems

The Lep
18/10/2009, 9:14 PM

For cork to be deemed last then they would have to have their points removed.

If bohs dont finish top then there is a small rumour that they could be relegated or not recieve a premier licence cos of the salary cap, ( hope they dont and im wrong ).

If cork and bohs dont get a premier licence then there is 2 spots up for grabs from those that did.
UCD as it stand go up as champions and bray relegated as bottom in premier.
Winner of play off final in premier with the premier play off loser possibly getting a reprive and second in the first getting promoted if granted a premier licence.

Brian Boru
18/10/2009, 9:44 PM
Bray automatically relegated. Drogheda to finish 9th. However, I think they'll beat the 8th place team. They have incredible spirit. Even though they'll be playing away from home Id fancy them to beat the 8th placed and survive the 2 legged game v ? Shelbourne. Therefor, I hope we don't finish 8th. 8th is too close to call. Galway have points in the bag so I think it'll come down to the last day of the season between us and Pats. Hopefully, we will prevail. We are playing lovely football and could win the cup but we'll see. Bohs are in serious financial trouble sadly and I hope they survive and aren't relegated. Their attendances are the problem. Top class team playing beautiful football and yet the crowds won't come. Like Shelbourne. They gambled on beating Red Bull Salzburg and it nearly worked. Now they are in dire straits. Sorry for rambling off topic but themselves and Cork might end up relegated and rest of us including Bray will be safe!!!

SMorgan
18/10/2009, 10:37 PM
I can see Drogheda coming last with Bray making the play-offs. I think Bray will beat Dundalk on Tuesday.

CSFShels
18/10/2009, 10:37 PM
Lets face it lads, no1 is gonna get relegated off the pitch. The FAI have already shown that they'll do whatever it takes to make it work for Cork and Bohs, Bray to go down automatic. Drogheda to lose the playoff and go down with em.

WoodquayBoy
18/10/2009, 11:15 PM
I dont think it would be fair for Pats to go down becuse they are too good and quigley Dempsey are not Div 1 players..
We (United) took a maximum 12 points off them this season. Believe me, they deserve to be where they are

PartySaint
18/10/2009, 11:58 PM
We (United) took a maximum 12 points off them this season. Believe me, they deserve to be where they are

Yep spot on, anyone who has seen us play bar the odd one or two games can see we deserve to be where we are, absolutley shocking this season and i can see us going down

Ezeikial
19/10/2009, 8:22 AM
If bohs dont finish top then there is a small rumour that they could be relegated or not recieve a premier licence cos of the salary cap,

Small rumour? Thats like saying Cork have a spot of money worries!

Indo article last May, Padraig Smith said:

If they do breach it, they will be sanctioned accordingly by relegation and non-participation in Europe.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/smith-wary-of-further-dropouts-1729600.html

RoversHead
19/10/2009, 9:00 AM
Cant see Bohs or Cork being in the prem div next season so relegation and Euro places will be settled off the pitch.

brianw82
19/10/2009, 9:20 AM
Not going to speculate on teams getting relegated through off-field matters. I doubt they will anyway.
I think Bray will go down automatically. They'll pick up a few more results but Drogheda's experience should see them avoid the automatic spot. Between us, Pats and Galway for the final play-off spot. Without question, we're the team in form out of all of them. Pats would have to be the faves for the spot, given their form. All 3 teams have to play Bohs, but Galway might have fallen foul of the fixtures given that they have to play Shamrock Rovers one more time as well. Ourselves and Pats should both, realistically, be looking to take 7 points from the remaining 4 games (assuming a probably defeat to Bohs for both of us)
It's all extremely interesting, isn't it?

KK77
19/10/2009, 9:26 AM

If we fail to beat Dundalk on Tuesday we will go down, if we win we have every chance of finishing 9th.

We are not bottom for no reason.
We'd be top of the league now if we won all the games you say we deserved to win.

ndrog
19/10/2009, 10:15 AM
I can see Drogheda coming last with Bray making the play-offs. I think Bray will beat Dundalk on Tuesday.

Why do you think bray will beat dundalk on tues , 3 players red carded ? I thought you had a big squad up there that could come in and do a job . Will be very interested to see how much effort the players and crowd put in considering the implications of the result :confused::confused:

Ezeikial
19/10/2009, 11:00 AM
Why do you think bray will beat dundalk on tues , 3 players red carded ? I thought you had a big squad up there that could come in and do a job . Will be very interested to see how much effort the players and crowd put in considering the implications of the result :confused::confused:

I presume you mean the implications for Drogheda regarding relegation should Bray win?

Conspiracy theory part 1 is lurking here then - wait for part 2 from paranoid Bohs fans about next Fridays match against Shamrock Rovers at Oriel!

By the way, it's in Dundalks financial interests that Drogheda stay in the premier!

ndrog
19/10/2009, 11:02 AM
I presume you mean the implications for Drogheda regarding relegation should Bray win?

Conspiracy theory part 1 is lurking here then - wait for part 2 from paranoid Bohs fans about next Fridays match against Shamrock Rovers at Oriel!

By the way, it's in Dundalks financial interests that Drogheda stay in the premier!

Agreed .It just found it strange and its the first time ive seen a dundalk fan perdicting a loss as youve been fairly confident of getting results .

Sam_Heggy
19/10/2009, 11:22 AM
Bohs relegated, Cork, Derry, Wexford and Mervue to fold. 18 team league next season.

Roo69
19/10/2009, 11:22 AM
We are not bottom for no reason.
We'd be top of the league now if we won all the games you say we deserved to win.

We are bottom because we cannot score the chances we create, which is what i said in my post.

We created at least 5 or 6 really good chances the other night. Pats were 2nd best in the 2nd half and rarely got deep into our half apart from the odd counter attack.

KK77
19/10/2009, 11:46 AM
We are bottom because we cannot score the chances we create, which is what i said in my post.

We created at least 5 or 6 really good chances the other night. Pats were 2nd best in the 2nd half and rarely got deep into our half apart from the odd counter attack.

Pats won 2-0;)

Terry
19/10/2009, 12:15 PM
Bohs relegated, Cork, Derry, Wexford and Mervue to fold. 18 team league next season.

Mervue wont fold as they have zero debts and have a very healthy income from the use of their pitches for the night owl leagues etc.....

sligoman
19/10/2009, 12:35 PM
All 3 teams have to play Bohs, but Galway might have fallen foul of the fixtures given that they have to play Shamrock Rovers one more time as well.Pat's have to play both Shams and Bohs too.

Kildareman
19/10/2009, 3:01 PM
Cork must likely wont be in the Premier Division next season but not because of a points deduction. Its because they wont be awarded a Premier Licence. The league table will remain as of the last game played.
That said I would expect the losing side in the playoff to be given a reprieve and remain in the top flight.
If more than one club falls foul of licencing then the next best placed First Division side goes up.

Kildareman
19/10/2009, 3:07 PM
Mervue wont fold as they have zero debts and have a very healthy income from the use of their pitches for the night owl leagues etc......

Heard rumours from 3 different sources that Mervue are having serious thoughts about remaining in the league. The clubs resources are being swallowed up to the detriment of the underage sides.
Either way our concerns are for another Galway club !

CF1989
19/10/2009, 3:10 PM
pats are a very poor side. they have no fight or want left in them from what i saw against us in richmond. some average players aswell from what they used to have

bray can still get into the play off ahead of drogheda imo. only a few points off them so one win and and defeat for drogs and there ahead. its between us and pats for the 2nd play off spot. i think galway will be ok now, probably win another home game and that should be enough for them unfortunatly

Terry
20/10/2009, 10:08 AM

Heard rumours from 3 different sources that Mervue are having serious thoughts about remaining in the league. The clubs resources are being swallowed up to the detriment of the underage sides.
Either way our concerns are for another Galway club !

Well Im from Mervue, and they are saying that they are already planning for next season. But, you'll never know. I hope they drop out as Galway only needs one club in the LOI.

In saying that, Salthill Devon have got there planning permission for a new stand to be built up in the drom and they want in on the first division ASAP acorrding to my contacts up there.

Roo69
20/10/2009, 10:15 AM
Pats won 2-0;)

Very well thought out reply :o

KK77
20/10/2009, 10:17 AM
Very well thought out reply :o

Sorry just meant they took their chances.