PDA

View Full Version : Finn Harps

ForzaForth
17/10/2009, 8:58 PM
One-nil to Youths tonight but fairly poor game. Wexford started 4-4-2 with Gary and Jimmy up front and Warren joining Sinny, Patsy and Shane in midfield. Harps had an early chance when a nice one-two let a player in but he didn't really get his shot away and Packie pushed it easily round for a corner. Harps then faded and Wexford came more into it but didn't really create anything but for Gary stickings few low crosses in from the right but nobody able to get onto them. Just before half-time, a hopeful cross from Harps nearly caught Packie out but he touched it onto the crossbar and then he collided backwards into the post. As Packie got up, the incoming Harps player smacked the rebound into Packie from a fairly acute angle who kept it out without knowing a lot about it. However, long periods of undistinguished play and nil-nil at half-time.

ForzaForth
17/10/2009, 9:07 PM
Game remained in the nihilstic vortex for almost twenty-five minutes of the second-half when, out of the blue, a hopeful knock forward found Sinny in space on the right who pulled it back intelligently for Gary who prodded it home. Harps then had a real chance when a low cross from the right found Gethins free about ten yards out but he pushed it wide of the post. Gary then got another chance when the usual long ball hopped over the Harps centre-half but he pulled his shot wide when having only the keeper to beat.

Thought Warren played well for his hour out wide left and Tiernan did well when he replaced him. Wexford, however, were far too content to lash the ball towards Gary at every opportunity and overall the standard of passing from both sides was poor.

About 330 there with good handful of Harps fans. Finally, best wishes to Richie Fitzgerald who has left the squad to go to Australia. Always gave 100%.

passinginterest
17/10/2009, 9:29 PM
Nice to see another home win. Sorry to hear Richie is another one to leave the squad.

The crowds have really gone through the floor this season, I have a feeling next year will be very telling as to whether or not League of Ireland football in Wexford has any future.

Sam_Heggy
18/10/2009, 7:26 AM
One-nil to Youths tonight but fairly poor game. Wexford started 4-4-2 with Gary and Jimmy up front and Warren joining Sinny, Patsy and Shane in midfield. Harps had an early chance when a nice one-two let a player in but he didn't really get his shot away and Packie pushed it easily round for a corner. Harps then faded and Wexford came more into it but didn't really create anything but for Gary stickings few low crosses in from the right but nobody able to get onto them. Just before half-time, a hopeful cross from Harps nearly caught Packie out but he touched it onto the crossbar and then he collided backwards into the post. As Packie got up, the incoming Harps player smacked the rebound into Packie from a fairly acute angle who kept it out without knowing a lot about it. However, long periods of undistinguished play and nil-nil at half-time.

Would agree with that. I thought, in the goalmouth scramble at the end of the half that the ball had crossed the line.
I felt we shaded the first 20/25 mins and ye hammered us for the final 20 of the half.

Sam_Heggy
18/10/2009, 7:29 AM
Game remained in the nihilstic vortex for almost twenty-five minutes of the second-half when, out of the blue, a hopeful knock forward found Sinny in space on the right who pulled it back intelligently for Gary who prodded it home. Harps then had a real chance when a low cross from the right found Gethins free about ten yards out but he pushed it wide of the post. Gary then got another chance when the usual long ball hopped over the Harps centre-half but he pulled his shot wide when having only the keeper to beat.

Thought Warren played well for his hour out wide left and Tiernan did well when he replaced him. Wexford, however, were far too content to lash the ball towards Gary at every opportunity and overall the standard of passing from both sides was poor.

About 330 there with good handful of Harps fans. Finally, best wishes to Richie Fitzgerald who has left the squad to go to Australia. Always gave 100%.

Don't know how Gethins missed that chance for us, it was a tap in.
I was impressed with Dempsey for ye, he works hard in midfield and can spread it about a bit. Sheehan is a real live wire but ye are very reliant on him, if ye spread the play about a bit better ye might have a better chance next season.

Splurge
18/10/2009, 11:14 AM
I tought the crowd looked decent enough, was the stand not fairly full? I was surprised there was so many there for a meaningless end of season game.
The home game's have been so bad all summer it's hardly surprising that attendences have been dipping.

The Optimist
18/10/2009, 3:46 PM
I was surprised there was so many there for a meaningless end of season game.

I wouldn't exactly call it "a meaningless end of season game".
Since we are in a battle with Mons for 5th spot every point is crucial.

Splurge
18/10/2009, 7:35 PM
I wouldn't exactly call it "a meaningless end of season game".
Since we are in a battle with Mons for 5th spot every point is crucial.

What do we gain from finishing 5th rather than 6th? Very little.

adamski8
19/10/2009, 3:43 PM
we get more prize money anyway!

Youths4Ever
19/10/2009, 7:55 PM
What do we gain from finishing 5th rather than 6th? Very little.

it may only be a small financial gain but finishing up in 5th place after 3 years and getting a decent point total is all important to build from for next year. Ok still 11 point behind 4th place but shows what potential is there I for one would be delighted to finish in 5th and having 50 points or more (which looking lighty to get 5th)