PDA

View Full Version : Who's YOUR Player of The Year ?

Pages : [1] 2

Iorfa2MaccaJim
15/10/2009, 12:34 PM
We are coming towards the business end of the 2009 season, and I think it is the perfect time to post this thread.

Who is YOUR Player of The Year for YOUR club.

My Blues Player of The Year would have to be Graham Cummins

Rovers1
15/10/2009, 12:34 PM
Romuald Boco. The best player in this country.

pineapple stu
15/10/2009, 12:36 PM
Ronan Finn. The best player in this country.

Rovers1
15/10/2009, 12:39 PM
Ronan Finn. The best player in this country.

Go on Stu! Honorable mention to Sir Danny Ventre too. Richie Ryan is quality.

L.T.F.C.
15/10/2009, 12:40 PM
brian mccarthy! great defender.

GalwayRed
15/10/2009, 12:42 PM
David McAllister. Hes been superb all season.

monsexile
15/10/2009, 12:46 PM
Brian Gartland from what I've seen of Monaghan United and what I've heard.

Dundalkjames
15/10/2009, 12:47 PM
super michael daly

Sheridan
15/10/2009, 12:59 PM
On the broader, league-wide scale: Twigg will get POTY, although Cretaro is a more deserving candidate IMO. Twigg is the best natural goalscorer in the league, but Cretaro is playing in a relegation-threatened team, isn't really a striker, and is scoring heaps of goals and contributing more in general play.

I think Richard Brush and Stephen Bradley should be on the shortlist too. Brush should get 'keeper of the year, Murphy has been a bit suss this season.

Shano Mac
15/10/2009, 1:18 PM
Craig Sives

Mr A
15/10/2009, 1:27 PM
super michael daly

I thought Dave Rogers would win the Dundalk award pants down.

davidatrb
15/10/2009, 1:34 PM
VERY hard to pick one. Each player for the first half of the season was hopeless. And it really has been team effort since. Having said that, I've liked Darren O'Brien and Liam Tiernan.

Hibs4Ever
15/10/2009, 1:41 PM
Dave Partridge

sligoman
15/10/2009, 1:43 PM
Mauro Almeida, closely followed by Martin (AKA Jim) Nicholas Camano.

Roo69
15/10/2009, 1:47 PM
Chris O'Connor, i actually think he's been the best keeper in the league this season.

Hulsey
15/10/2009, 2:13 PM
Chris O'Connor, i actually think he's been the best keeper in the league this season.

I'd give it as a toss up between either skippy or chris shields. For his first season in league of Ireland football he's been exceptional and put some of the more experienced midfielders in the side to shame

Lamper.sffc
15/10/2009, 2:14 PM
I think its obvious who ours is. Conan Byrne but an honourable mention must go to Alan Kirby who has pushed Conan close for player of the year IMO

Magicme
15/10/2009, 2:18 PM
Agree with Monsexile about Brian Gartland. Consistently quality but so have most of our team this year so its such a tough one to call. Aaron McCarey would certainly be in there but he hasnt been playing all season whereas, Brian, bar a small injury or 2 and a few suspensions, has been a rock throughout the year. Worry whether he will be still with us next season as am sure a few clubs will be after him.

dong
15/10/2009, 2:20 PM
On the broader, league-wide scale: Twigg will get POTY, although Cretaro is a more deserving candidate IMO. Twigg is the best natural goalscorer in the league, but Cretaro is playing in a relegation-threatened team, isn't really a striker, and is scoring heaps of goals and contributing more in general play.

I think Richard Brush and Stephen Bradley should be on the shortlist too. Brush should get 'keeper of the year, Murphy has been a bit suss this season.

I like Brush but he is not the best keeper in the league. He had a few good games, particularly in the Bohs games recently but he's been flapping at crosses all season.
Don't get me wrong, he's a good guy and an excellent stopper but there are better keepers at Bohs and Shams this year.
He was the best in the league last year though, no doubt. I think his confidence has been eroded with our dodgy defending this campaign.
Cretaro would be my Sligo Rovers choice.
The best player I've seen from any team is Ndo but you sometimes get the feeling he could do a bit more in games.

SligoBrewer
15/10/2009, 2:36 PM
Xano. Unreal.

sonofstan
15/10/2009, 2:38 PM
Hard to choose between Conor Powell and Brian Shelley for us, with honourable mentions to Keegan and Oman -the last named is definitely 'most improved'. When mcGuinness took his self- imposed leave of absence, most of us felt he'd walk back into the side, but Oman claimed the place and has held it ever since.

I'll pick Powell, because he's younger, and if he continues to develop at the rate he's going, he'll play for Ireland.

GuisaSaigon
15/10/2009, 2:51 PM
Barry Ryan.

brianw82
15/10/2009, 3:34 PM
Cretaro for me. Honourable mention for Dick Brush for saving our bacon on a number of occasions - we could have been bottom at one point were it not for him. Boco has been great all season too, but I think everyone else has generally underperformed.

Outside my club, I've been impressed by a number of players - Stephen Bradley, Barry Murphy (best keeper this season imo), Pat Sullivan, John Russell, Conor Powell and Gary Deegan (seriously needs to stop getting sent off, though!)

TheBoss
15/10/2009, 3:45 PM
Alan McNally, rock at the back.

Acornvilla
15/10/2009, 4:32 PM
brian mccarthy and tom king to draw the longford one!

Mr Maroon
15/10/2009, 4:34 PM
Barry Ryan.

Yep, without a doubt.

BohsPartisan
15/10/2009, 5:05 PM
Brian Shelley
Paul Keegan
Connor Powell

In that order.

Ezeikial
15/10/2009, 5:39 PM
Gary Twigg will run away with the main awards particularly if Rovers win the league.

Players who have impressed me -

Dundalk - Michael Daly,Chris Turner, Shaun Kelly and Liam Burns
Drogheda - Connor Kenna and Alan McNally
Shamrocks- Craig Sives, Spephen Bradley, Stephen Rice and Twigg.
Bohs - Conor Powell, Gary Deegan, Brian Shelley, Ken Oman, Paul Keegan, Paddy Madden, Brian Murphy (hell most of them except Crowe)
Cork - Danny Murphy, Billy Dennehy
Derry- Gerard Doherty, Eddie McCallion
Galway- John Russell, Shane Guthrie, Vinny Faherty
Sligo- Raf Cretaro, Gavin Peers, Richard Brush
St Pats - Jason Gavin, Ryan Guy
Bray -Chris O'Connor and Dave Webster

Still a big bunch of crucial games to go.......

KevB76
15/10/2009, 5:58 PM
Shane Treacey.

Not the big impact of Steve-O, but consistently good all through the season, weighing in with his fair share of goals too :ball:

Dunny
15/10/2009, 6:11 PM
Chris Turner

dfx-
15/10/2009, 6:36 PM
Craig Siv-ez is, but Twigg shall win. Best goal would be the header in Galway

superfrank
15/10/2009, 6:47 PM
I'd agree with Skippy being our best.

Also, what's the story with pronouncing Sives' surname? I pronounce it like "fives". I don't get how TG4 keep calling him Si-vez.

Dunny
15/10/2009, 6:51 PM
I'd agree with Skippy being our best.

Also, what's the story with pronouncing Sives' surname? I pronounce it like "fives". I don't get how TG4 keep calling him Si-vez.

It's pronounced Si-vez

CSFShels
15/10/2009, 7:45 PM
McAllister for us and the First Division overall.

Dunny
15/10/2009, 7:47 PM
"Bisto" not the best anymore?

galwayjames
15/10/2009, 8:01 PM
Xano. Unreal.

Who is he?

OneRedArmy
15/10/2009, 8:05 PM
No Derry player has played consistently well. Just that kind of season.

Doherty probably best of a mediocre bunch, but not as good as last year IMO.

Until the Dungannon case I would've nominated the club solicitor...

MariborKev
15/10/2009, 8:06 PM
Gary McCabe of Bray has really impressed me this year.

RoversHead
15/10/2009, 8:38 PM
Stephen Rice has been Rovers best player by a country mile.

sheao
15/10/2009, 9:13 PM
Our player of the year has to be Danny Murphy or Dan Murray. Through all the off the field problems here at City they have remained loyal to the club and have been consistent for us on the pitch.

galwayjames
15/10/2009, 9:22 PM
Jay O'Shea was obviously our best until he went to Birmingham.

Dunno after that....

southern red
15/10/2009, 9:27 PM
cretaro just shades it ahead of peers for me,, VIVA CRETARO..

stann
15/10/2009, 9:30 PM
Stephen Rice has been Rovers best player by a country mile.

It's pronounced Ree - Ché isn't it? :confused:

For us, though Biggles will deservedly take the gongs, specially if he gets a couple more goals before the season's out, I'll pick The Undertaker, Kevin Murray, rock solid at the back, played every single minute of every game so far in a very mean defence. Having an excellent season.

Raheny Red
15/10/2009, 11:48 PM
I think its obvious who ours is. Conan Byrne but an honourable mention must go to Alan Kirby who has pushed Conan close for player of the year IMO

Conan will get player of the year in the first.

marinobohs
16/10/2009, 10:53 AM
We are coming towards the business end of the 2009 season, and I think it is the perfect time to post this thread.

Who is YOUR Player of The Year for YOUR club.

My Blues Player of The Year would have to be Graham Cummins

At Bohs Brian Shelly and conor Powell would be my choice (bit hard on Brian Murphy but that is judging by his own exemplory standards)

In the wider League Twiglet and Baker (great comeback for a player most thought finished) have impressed along with Sullivan and Ricer. Mental Mickey at Dundalk impressed me with his playing ability and Cretaro at Sligo looked very useful.
Team of the season (gulp) probobly the MK Hoops ,certainly better than expected season for them. Would like to see Sligo win the cup as they have had a good season after a trying start. (And yes, I know "team" was not in the original thread line).

Blue Bear
16/10/2009, 3:02 PM
Brian Gartland from what I've seen of Monaghan United and what I've heard.

Without a doubt Gartland would be up there for us, just unlucky with some injuries. Its a toss-up between Finn and Conan Byrne for 1st Div player.

Mr Maroon
17/10/2009, 2:35 AM
Jay O'Shea was obviously our best until he went to Birmingham.

Dunno after that....

Has to be Barry Ryan.

gufc2000
17/10/2009, 10:54 AM
John Russell, has been superb this year

thischarmingman
17/10/2009, 11:51 AM
I think Gareth McGlynn's had a good season with us, despite the many detractors he has on our forum. one of our few indispensable players.Ger O'Brien has been very solid as well. If we had two players of the quality we have at right back (O'Brien and McCallion) in every position we wouldn't be where we are now in the table. Incidentally, Stephen Grey hasn't been our best player of the season, but he has had a much improved year and is very underrated by many. His link-up play and crossing, though still not perfect, have come a long way since last season.

Lamper.sffc
17/10/2009, 11:56 AM
Conan will get player of the year in the first.

I think so too but McAllister has been great this season as well. A fellow Rush man sure why wouldnt he be.:D