PDA

View Full Version : Gary Doherty

greg o brien
23/02/2004, 9:27 AM
Poor gary doherty,what the hell is he doing in spurs (or any) defence, his own goal was arguably better than robbie keanes goal. don't they know that you lash that donkey up front when all else fails and no where else. his back pass, well the less said, can't imagine he's too popular with the spurs fans this morning.

Bowsy
23/02/2004, 10:48 AM
Watched game on TV. Shocking display by the Doc. Pity as he had been really impressive in recent weeks but even made Richards look good yesterday. Apart from own goal and backpass from hell he looked nervous and unaware of where he should be for practically the whole game.

Ozymandias
23/02/2004, 10:54 AM
bowsy I don't know what game you watched but richards looked every bit as bad as doherty and since he has come back from injury spurs have conceded 13 goals in 4 games....richards was MUCK...that been said the spurs midfield was non existent and offered no resistance to even help out the back four.....

Doherty had a nightmare but richards is having one that has lasted 4 games.

I am a spurs fan and it is not good watching us at the moment..also could someone tell taricco to F**K off

Bowsy
23/02/2004, 11:13 AM
Ozymandias, i was in no way suggesting Richards played well. In fact he was awful. As a Man City fan i was delighted that his inept return to the first team helped us to the greatest FA Cup comeback of all time. I was only saying that Doherty looked even worse against Leicester. Where was Gardner? As for the midfield. It's wishful thinking to expect defensive support from Brown, Jackson and Davies is wishful thinking and hardly saw King.

Lionel Ritchie
23/02/2004, 11:45 AM
I think the time's long past that Gary needs to tell Pleat or whoever will be in charge that he's a striker and outside of covering in emergencies -not a defender. It's a situation that isn't particularly fair on GD but one he should've taken in hand some time ago.

I've seen the point made well elsewhere that it's relatively easy to earn yourself a reputation as a top drawer striker (Alan Smith at Leeds United hit his sixth goal, I believe, of the season against Man dis-United on Saturday).
On the other hand the skills of a center half are less noticed or commented on and you don't get a reputation of being any good at it unless you are bloody brilliant.

In Garys case -he's a damn good target man who has shown he can get goals for club and country and a competent but unremarkable defender.

His choice is surely obvious.

Ozymandias
23/02/2004, 1:45 PM
point taken Bowsy and agreed with wholeheartedly...apologies on the misunderstanding re richards as i think he wouldn't get a game with carlisle

Bowsy
23/02/2004, 1:54 PM
No worries Ozymandias. I've a mate from Wolverhampton who praises the day they sold him. A harsh indictment of any player when Wolves fans wouldn't want him.

eirebhoy
23/02/2004, 2:02 PM
Originally posted by Lionel Ritchie
I think the time's long past that Gary needs to tell Pleat or whoever will be in charge that he's a striker and outside of covering in emergencies -not a defender. It's a situation that isn't particularly fair on GD but one he should've taken in hand some time ago.
What Gary Doherthy are you talking about?:confused: A few months ago Doc said that he wants to focus playing as a defender and absolutely hates playing up front. He has played really well this season with the exception of yestersays game (how many bad games does John O'Shea get away with...). He is really bad up front and doesn't even seem to bother trying when he's put up front.

John83
23/02/2004, 2:44 PM
Originally posted by eirebhoy
What Gary Doherthy are you talking about?:confused: A few months ago Doc said that he wants to focus playing as a defender and absolutely hates playing up front. He has played really well this season with the exception of yestersays game (how many bad games does John O'Shea get away with...). He is really bad up front and doesn't even seem to bother trying when he's put up front.
Here here!

Lionel Ritchie
23/02/2004, 3:23 PM
I read that as well about him wanting to be considered a defender. I dunno - maybe he doesn't fancy competing with Robbie and now Kanoute for a starting spot but I think he should concentrate on playing up front. He holds the ball up very well, attacks headers superbly ...I'll take your word for it that he's plang well as a defender for Spurs this season as I've not seen a lot of them. But he does strike me as a man playing in his 2nd best possition for the sake of getting a game when I have seen him on as a defender.

tiktok
23/02/2004, 3:28 PM
Originally posted by eirebhoy
He has played really well this season with the exception of yestersays.

No he hasn't, He's very good in the air but he's a disaster on the ground. I've seen Spurs a good few times this season and every time Doherty has played he'd made at least one telling mistake, often gifting a goal or conceeding a penalty, he's being carried completely by his CB partner. In Fairness, Spurs have conceeded a shocking amount of goals in the last few weeks, Doherty should be getting better now that he's being allowed to concentrate on CB, unfortunately he's only getting worse.

greg o brien
23/02/2004, 4:00 PM
i have to agree with the above, i havent seen him play many great games for spurs this season. i wouldn't trust him in defence, because i don't trust him with the ball at his feet. he is grand man for attacking the ball with his head and occassionally holding it up. but most of the time you see doherty with the ball his feet he looks as akward as a baby deer on ice. i actually like doherty and god knows he has saved ireland a few times at this stage, but from a managers point of view, if you have a choice don't put him up front. if you have someone else to put in defence put them in defence, if you dont have someone better to put in defence your in trouble because you really want some one who can play the ball well with there feet, GD is good for getting above the front men and heading out (he's also good at getting above defenders and heading in, sometimes), but he is a liability otherwise.

Ozymandias
23/02/2004, 4:13 PM
Tiktok...I'm a spurs fan and doherty is actually our best centre half at the moment but that isn't saying much...but he is not being carried by his CB partner...at least Gary is trying that c**t richards isn't interested.....but the defense is also been let down by a non existence midfield.....that lets the opposition pour through at will.....jaysus its brutal stuff to watch

Brian Wilkins
18/03/2004, 9:24 AM
To rite how much did spurs pay 4 him (8.1mill) an how much are bolton suposedly offering (500k) take the money an run. Doc game has suffered because of richards no doubt about it. whta was the score against Newcastle an who DIDNT play?

But wil D.P have the courage to keep him out? me thinks not :(

Bowsy
18/03/2004, 10:02 AM
Rumour has it Richards is on his way out on a free at the end of the season. Well that's what it said on the BBC website earlier in the week. Doc is back on form and although still prone to a howler is looking a decent back up option at centre half for Ireland.

Ozymandias
18/03/2004, 11:09 AM
even ona free it will be hard to offload richards......he is worse than ever now..........we ae a better team when he is in the car park during the games.

Brian Wilkins
18/03/2004, 12:51 PM
Here here.

But i'd still say the car park would be to near to the pitch. i'd say the next NASA mission to Mars should just about do it.:) :D

EastTerracer
06/10/2012, 3:18 PM
Gary Doherty scored his annual goal for Wycombe today at home to Torquay.

DannyInvincible
06/10/2012, 10:43 PM
Call him up, Trap!

BonnieShels
07/10/2012, 11:38 AM
Someone capitalise this thread.

nigel-harps1954
07/10/2012, 11:44 AM
Surely deserves a call up? How many players out there are consistently getting game time with their club AND scoring goals? Cop yourself on Trap, get the finger out and call up this ginger genius.

AlaskaFox
07/10/2012, 11:52 AM

Capital idea.

ArdeeBhoy
18/12/2014, 9:20 AM
A nation in eternal gratitude?
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/english/2014/1218/667637-gary-doherty-announces-retirement/

BonnieShels
18/12/2014, 10:22 AM

Capital idea.

And on deaf ears it fell.

The least we could do for him as he enjoys his retirement.

DeLorean
18/12/2014, 10:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x59F5TKJHA

DannyInvincible
18/12/2014, 11:27 AM
Call him up, Trap!