PDA

View Full Version : Is Ukraine not a seeded possibility?

mattl
14/10/2009, 9:04 PM
With Ukraine beating England 1-0 and Andorra 6-0 is there not a chance their ranking will move above Portugal, thus making them the seeded team instead?

This would definitely suit us!

irishultra
14/10/2009, 9:24 PM
I could see us getting a result in Portugal, on the other hand I could see us losing 2-0 and basically knocking us out in Ukraine.

elroy
14/10/2009, 10:40 PM
With Ukraine beating England 1-0 and Andorra 6-0 is there not a chance their ranking will move above Portugal, thus making them the seeded team instead?

This would definitely suit us!

Not sure if this is possible but Im sure fifa will find a way to stop this happening

I could see us getting a result in Portugal, on the other hand I could see us losing 2-0 and basically knocking us out in Ukraine.

Wouldnt fancy playing portugal to be honest, they have skillful individuals and we have struggled against their style of play in the past.

briancool21
14/10/2009, 10:47 PM
Under mccarthy we weren't beten by portugal should have beaten them at home actually didn't keane score that day

elroy
14/10/2009, 10:51 PM
Under mccarthy we weren't beten by portugal should have beaten them at home actually didn't keane score that day

They completely over ran us at home and only a late Holland wonderstrike got us an undeserved draw. I think we only had one chance that night.

At home to Portugal, they were again the superior team, hit the post at least once through Pauleta and only a Roy Keane masterperformance got us a result.

irishultra
14/10/2009, 10:55 PM
well they have experience of playing against 'british style' teams this campaign and nearly came undone and portugal are a very weird team. ever look at some of the weird results they get? 0-0 draws with teams like albania at home. i think we could beat them honestly.

briancool21
14/10/2009, 10:58 PM
I think any team with a playmaker like arshavin, ronaldo or ribery will tear us to pieces Italy have nothing up front and scored 3 against us

holidaysong
14/10/2009, 11:09 PM
Anyway Ukraine won't be seeded. This link (http://www.football-rankings.info/2009/10/fifa-ranking-october-2009-preview-vi.html) shows their maximum possible ranking would be below Portugal's minimum.. Greece's minimum is below Ukraine's maximum but they beat Luxembourg tonight so won't be getting their minimum anyway.