PDA

View Full Version : City V Longford Town

Neil
13/10/2001, 12:01 PM
The only other change to City's squad from last week is the addition of Anthony Buckley who returns after a long absence due to an ankle injury that required an operation.

I'm hoping for:

Devine
Carey Napier Coughlan Horgan
O'Brien Flanagan O'Grady Cahill
O'Flynn CPOB

Neil
14/10/2001, 5:27 PM
Colin Patrick O'Brien scored the crucial goal as Cork squeezed past Longford at Turners Cross on Sunday.

Kelvin Flanagan scored Cork's first, but a late Stuart Holt penalty ensured the final 17 minutes were not comfortable for the City faithful.

The Leesiders opened the scoring on the half-hour mark, thanks to Flanagan's strike. The forward got on the end of an Ollie Cahill flick-on to score from 18 yards.

The visitors had chances to equalise, with Eric Lavine seeing his effort safely gathered by Cork goalkeeper, Michael Devine, before the break.

Cork then dominated and got the second thanks to O'Brien after the break. The teenage striker latched on to an Alan Bennett pass to score with an angled shot.

Longford struck back with a penalty on 73. Stuart Holt dispatched the spot kick after Lavine was brought down in the area by Devine, who was cautioned for the foul.

That set up an anxious period for Cork, although they always looked capable of scoring again. Alan Carey came close to a third for the hosts, but his shot hit the post.

>setanta.com

Neil
14/10/2001, 5:34 PM
While I'm delighted for CPOB scoring another goal, I think it's funny the way the Shed clap him when balooning a shot over the bar. We all know the reaction Morley would get if he hit the same shot.

There are lots of little idiots in the Shed (all kissing the ass of 1 huge idiot)

James
14/10/2001, 5:47 PM
Neil thanks for tyhe report. was waiting here for the score to come through.

how did everyone play, what was the line-up / formation?

Neil
14/10/2001, 5:55 PM
Devine
Carey Hoof Coughlan Horgan
Flanagan Bennett O'Grady Cahill
CPOB and Noelle Hartigan

Usual suspects (Devine, Carey, Hoggie, Bennett, O' Grady) played well. Dec and Der hoofed well enough today. Flanagan got a sweet goal as did CPOB. Ollie and Noel were also on the pitch.

Not very impressive but another 3 points.

New jerseys came out! A fair few were sold I'd say.

Shed's dead. Derrynane corner boys outsung the Shed for most of the game!

James
14/10/2001, 6:00 PM
same old same old so. nothings changed. what kinda crowd was there?

good match report from sports.com here (http://www.sports.com/irl/football/news/2001/10/14/sIRL01MTAwMzA3NDQ4NzA.html)

Neil
14/10/2001, 6:02 PM
Originally posted by James
same old same old so. nothings changed. what kinda crowd was there?

Nope nothing's changed, don't worry!

Crowd of about 2,000.

Gary
14/10/2001, 6:06 PM
I thought Cahill had a good ol game being honest.

Hartigan did everything a good striker should do. He ran, he looked interested, knocks the ball around well and scored some crucial goals.
Actually no, that was the EXACT opposite of what he did.

So lets open an old wound. Hartigan is CRAP.

A good team performance and Devine was haunted to stay on the pitch. Mooney even started togging off!

Good crowd. I'd estimate it was c. 2500

cityoperator
14/10/2001, 6:35 PM
Id have to disagree with that.I thought Hartigan didnt have a bad game.He layed the ball off and held the ball up well.The reason the Shed was being out sung is simply bcause nobody in the Shed seems to want to sing anymore.I wouldnt blame them either since most of the chants are only abusive ones to the opposing team.

joe
15/10/2001, 12:28 AM
I reckon Hartigan did fine today, and it was good to see the team line-up in a 4-4-2 formation. But I think the fact that we finished the game, hanging on, playing 4-5-1 with Caulfield up front on his own says alot.

razor
15/10/2001, 7:33 AM
I don't think we did, Alan Bennett looked to push up alongside Johnny C at the end.
Hartigan looked totally disinterested, he did lay off and hold up some ball but if you look at the way CP ran his socks off all game, Noel barely broke a sweat.
John Caulfield should retire, he was a pity yesterday, I felt so sorry for him, especially when he tried to run for a through ball and it hit him on the back.
O'Grady looks the business in midfield, although after we got our second goal I thought we'd batter them, typical City to torture us for the last quarter of an hour instead of what it should have been, a comfortable win.

overdebar
15/10/2001, 9:41 AM
I agree with ya razor, but i thought Jonnie C was looking good yesterday. he is an absolute fla, especially with his grey head. total spice boy.

Peadar
15/10/2001, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by joe
But I think the fact that we finished the game, hanging on, playing 4-5-1 with Caulfield up front on his own says alot.

Joe I think that Murphy looked at C P O'Brien after he took a knock and with the big game away to Bohs next Saturday decided not to take any chances. John Caulfield did enough. The introduction of Buckly was important as we need to know that he can be used next week also.

Jim Smith
15/10/2001, 10:38 AM
If Murphy had been paying attention to the game he would have seen that O'Brien was spent and should have come off around the time he took Hartigan off. He was dead on his feet by that time and that's when your likely to get injured. He's a great player but not up to 90 mins of play - yet.

John Caufield should have at least tried to jumped over Digger rather than kick him in the head. That was as nasty a bit of play as I've seen in a long time. He was lucky to stay on the pitch. He has had his time as a player and should stick to coaching. Its sad to see a once great player reduced to that.

One of the biggest surprises had to be the outcome of the collision between Carey and Daly. Just looking at them I'd have put money on carey being the one to come out the worse for wear - but then I've put money on horses that died during the race!

Peadar
15/10/2001, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Jim Smith
John Caufield should have at least tried to jumped over Digger rather than kick him in the head. That was as nasty a bit of play as I've seen in a long time. He was lucky to stay on the pitch. He has had his time as a player and should stick to coaching. Its sad to see a once great player reduced to that.

I was sitting on the pitch and had a great view of this.
John was favourite to win the ball and he firmly believed that. O’Brien hesitated but when the ball touched down it didn’t hold up, instead it spun towards O’Brien giving him a chance to collect it. When Caulfield went in he could see the ball but O’Brien smothered it completely so his body was now where the ball was. The contact was slight and he stayed with O’Brien until he knew he was ok. Lucky to escape with just a yellow all the same.

pete
15/10/2001, 11:00 AM
Only saw the clips on the news last night but....Looked like 2 great goals, 2 super finishes, especially Colin P's left footer into the bottom corner!

The would seem like the defense & midfield to stick to. It would seem like everyones playing well enough in the team now. Flanagan & O'Grady holding the ball in midfield with Ollie & Bennett getting forward. While Deccie & Derek can't pass or run we still have to the two fullback for that & the slow boys less likely to be caught out with 4 at the back.

The Bohs game is a big one. Bohs in terrible form & still missing a afew key players but they could be back on saturday. The prerssures on Bohs bigtime, City to hold them to halftime & steal it in the 2nd?

BTW Who was on the bench yesterday? Mooney, Johhny C, Buckely, ?, ?

Neil
15/10/2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by rebel

BTW Who was on the bench yesterday? Mooney, Johhny C, Buckely, ?, ?
Buckley, Mooney, Caulfield, Napier, O'Rourke?

joe
15/10/2001, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Barry's Tea

Joe I think that Murphy looked at C P O'Brien after he took a knock and with the big game away to Bohs next Saturday decided not to take any chances. John Caulfield did enough. The introduction of Buckly was important as we need to know that he can be used next week also.

I'm not criticising, I'm just saying that our squad appears to not be as strong as some people think. Granted our first choice strikers were missing, but it looks like our second choice (Hartigan and CP) can't last 90 minutes and that next in line is Johnny C. It's a pity Steve O'Flynn or even Tony Tynan weren't on the bench so that some fresh legs could come on up front for the last 15 or so.

Rebel, I think the other subs were O'Rourke and Napier

Troy.McClure
15/10/2001, 11:44 AM
He went for a 50/50 ball and didnt make it. To send him off would be crazy!:eek:

Neil
15/10/2001, 11:53 AM
Caulfield has always been hated by opposing teams supporters, and in the last year or two we have seen why. He's a chancer, on and off the pitch.

pete
15/10/2001, 1:15 PM
Don't know what Johhny C did yesterday so can't comment but he has been "prone" to the odd dive or too not that he lacking the pace. Saying that i'm sure he'd be a super coach to the young forwards in the squad.

Disappointing to see both Napier & O'Rourke (2 defenders) on the bench for a home game.

IMO the squad is coming alone nicely & shows that all the young lads needed was a bit of confidence. I think the team needs the oldies as apparently you can't win anything with kids ;)

mouldymurphy
15/10/2001, 3:14 PM

Disappointing to see both Napier & O'Rourke (2 defenders) on the bench for a home game.

what do you want murphy to do play 6 at the back?

Neil
15/10/2001, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by mouldymurphy

what do you want murphy to do play 6 at the back?
How about dropping Daly or Coughlan or even both!

pete
15/10/2001, 3:54 PM
what do you want murphy to do play 6 at the back

I meant to say there no need for 2 defenders on the bench for a home game especially with Hartigoal (defender/forward) on the pitch already. If available should have had O'Flynn, O'Shea or Welsh (where he gone?) instead.

Peadar
15/10/2001, 3:55 PM
Originally posted by neil

How about dropping Daly or Coughlan or even both!

Are you going to put O'Rourke and Napier in as full backs instead?
O'Rourke isn't experienced enough and Napier showed last Sunday in Derry that he's not fit enough.
Get real lads!
Murphy is playing the best people available to him.
Get over the conspiracy theory!

James
15/10/2001, 4:04 PM
T-boy, Deccie Daly is not the best available to us to play. I have seen him at fault for more goals this season then prob the rest of the defenders put together. he lacks pace and is prone to too many errors. A great player in his day..but hey it isnt the early nineties any more....

wheelchair for deccie :D
Play Napier then at centre half. I mean he was player of the season last year and he hasnt had a decent spell in the side all season.

Peadar
15/10/2001, 4:10 PM
Play Napier then at centre half. I mean he was player of the season last year and he hasnt had a decent spell in the side all season.

Napier had to come off last week at half time because he wasn't fit enough.
He was out on the pitch after the game yesterday working on it but he's still not right.

pete
15/10/2001, 4:14 PM
For future reference.........

Eoin Hand was co-commentating on RTE radio 1 yesterday. As city are 2 nil up Hand says he wouldn't be surprised if City wack in another...about 3 seconds later Longford have penalty!

Bleedin' jinx!!!

mouldymurphy
15/10/2001, 4:29 PM

I meant to say there no need for 2 defenders on the bench for a home game especially with Hartigoal (defender/forward) on the pitch already. If available should have had O'Flynn, O'Shea or Welsh (where he gone?) instead.
my fault i misunderstood u

joe
15/10/2001, 5:57 PM

Napier had to come off last week at half time because he wasn't fit enough.
He was out on the pitch after the game yesterday working on it but he's still not right.

point taken, but why isn't he fit enough?

Neil
15/10/2001, 6:02 PM
Are you going to put O'Rourke and Napier in as full backs instead?

No. They are the centre-halves, with Hoggie and Carey still as full-backs.

razor
16/10/2001, 7:20 AM
T-boy, Deccie Daly is not the best available to us to play. I have seen him at fault for more goals this season then prob the rest of the defenders put together. he lacks pace and is prone to too many errors. A great player in his day..but hey it isnt the early nineties any more....

Now I'm not a fan of Decies but I do believe Derek Coughlan has been to blame for more goals against this season. He is casual at the best of times and has only scored two own goals so far. He was also to blame for Longfords penalty on Sunday.

Neil
16/10/2001, 7:30 AM
Who would go with a back four of:
Carey, Napier, O'Rourke, Horgan?

It would be an inexperienced back-line, but at least they want to play football. Napier can well take care of himself and given time O'Rourke will too.

niamh
16/10/2001, 11:46 AM
Despite his inconsistancy I think Coughlan is still a good player. His height is a great asset and when he plays well he looks very solid. I think Napier should be playing now anway alongside Horgan and Carey... so I nearly agree with you Neil. O'Rourke is definitately one for the future too though. My God! City have a choice at centre half...

pete
16/10/2001, 12:54 PM
In our last 8 games we've:
- won 6,
- drawn 1 (IMO by far the better team & only fatigue denied us 2 more points)
- lost 1 (unlucky not to get a draw.

Is not team doing well? Why change a winning combination? Gunthers league record including the unbeaten run last season is superb & definite championship form!

I don't know if we lucky or what but the team seem to be every confident now. Saturdays game could tell a lot too.

Gary
16/10/2001, 5:42 PM
Winning side maybe, and i spose id prefer see City with the current selection win, than lose with Napier Rourke, hartigan put down etc. But im certainly bored silly with city every week. There is something lacking. We still create very little in front of goal.

However, it matters little if we win the League/Cup/Both.