PDA

View Full Version : Former Ipswich & Ireland International Goalie to Waterford

**FrOsTy**
14/10/2009, 12:55 AM
**COULD DO WITH MODS CORRECTING MY MISTAKE IN THE THREAD NAME:o:o**
Rumours down this part of the country that former Ipswich and Ireland U21 keeper Shane Supple is to come on loan to Waterford United for the cup semi final against Sligo Rovers as an emergency transfer as we only have 1 registered goalkeeper available for the game. Don't know how true it is but I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

theworm2345
14/10/2009, 3:58 AM
Come on loan from where? He said that he quit football only like a month or two ago.

CMcC
14/10/2009, 8:13 AM
Yes, surely he'a a free agent. He's played GAA since he came back.

Sheridan
14/10/2009, 8:16 AM
That's assuming his contract was cancelled. Even if it was, he'd still need international clearance as he was last registered with the FA. Course, it could all be balls and I suspect that it is.

alltogethernow
14/10/2009, 10:54 AM
When Supple left Ipswich he signed a contract saying he can't sign/play for another professional club until September 2010.

i would be very surprised if he did this. He is playing GAA for Brigids in Dublin and has no interest in going back playing football.

blue til i die
14/10/2009, 1:37 PM
When Supple left Ipswich he signed a contract saying he can't sign/play for another professional club until September 2010.

i would be very surprised if he did this. He is playing GAA for Brigids in Dublin and has no interest in going back playing football.

Do we count as a professional club though?

pineapple stu
14/10/2009, 1:58 PM
Professional is anyone paying money.

Amateur is anyone not paying any money. There's no other categories, AFAIK.

Longfordian
14/10/2009, 2:14 PM
You hear clubs referred to as semi-pro but if you've players registered on professional forms you're a "professional" club I would think.

blue til i die
14/10/2009, 2:18 PM
When i heard it last week i thought it was a p*ss take. Even though it seems to be gathering pace now, I still very much doubt its going to happen! never know though!!

Longfordian
14/10/2009, 2:30 PM
Isn't there a transfer deadline whereby you can't register anyone, free agent or not, after a certain date?, 31st August maybe. If this weren't the case he'd still have to be registered 14 days before the semi final to be available.

peadar1987
14/10/2009, 2:39 PM

I always thought there was an official "Semi pro" category, where players were paid for playing, but it wasn't their full-time career.

Although that said, I can see some problems with that, like David Beckham earning more from image rights than playing football. Does that make him "semi pro"?!

dcfcsteve
14/10/2009, 4:44 PM

Pro-Am.....? :D

;)

dcfcsteve
14/10/2009, 4:46 PM
Although that said, I can see some problems with that, like David Beckham earning more from image rights than playing football. Does that make him "semi pro"?!

No. It makes him a professional footballer with other sources of income.

If you have a job and buy a flat and rent it out, it doesn't suddenly make you classified as part-time at work.

peadar1987
14/10/2009, 7:54 PM
No. It makes him a professional footballer with other sources of income.

If you have a job and buy a flat and rent it out, it doesn't suddenly make you classified as part-time at work.

Does it make you a part-time landlord though?:p

blackholesun
14/10/2009, 8:21 PM
Diff rules for keepers, sure Rovers were able to call up old ex-Bray keeper for second leg playoff v continuity home farm after Barry Murphy was kicked off the pitch in the first leg years ago.

bhs

Dyl10
14/10/2009, 10:55 PM
Ipswich are probably holding his registration until his contract was supposed to expire.
It's possible that they could have signed him on loan.

JC_GUFC
16/10/2009, 6:14 PM

So you're saying he'd be free to join Cork...