PDA

View Full Version : Ireland U21 1-1 Switzerland U21

Carrigaline
13/10/2009, 6:59 PM
Playing now. On Sky Sports.

Cillian Sheridan and James McCarthy impressing so far.

drummerboy
13/10/2009, 7:35 PM
Both those, plus Garvan and Coleman have really impressed me. However the real eyeopener for me is Scott Davies, he really looks the part. Overall I'm very impressed with the team . All thats missing is a goal.

Paddy Garcia
13/10/2009, 7:36 PM
Redmond
Coleman
Connelly
Morris (not Chris)
Hughton (not Chris)
Judge
Davies
Garvan
McCarthy
O'Shea
Sheridan

Clifford and Scannell amongst the subs

strangeirish
13/10/2009, 7:38 PM
http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch3.html

drummerboy
13/10/2009, 7:43 PM
or http://www.justin.tv/vip_sports_bar_1

There flicking through the stations now, but when the game is on the stream is decent

centre mid
13/10/2009, 7:46 PM
Sheridan is getting huge amount of joy against the Swiss RB, he cant handle his pyshicality bless him.

Closed Account
13/10/2009, 7:59 PM
All Garvans fault. Shocking.

tetsujin1979
13/10/2009, 8:04 PM
Clifford on for his debut at this level

Maroon 7
13/10/2009, 8:14 PM
Seems to the story for the U-21's. They actually play quite well for long periods and then fall behind.

Paddy Garcia
13/10/2009, 8:35 PM
Not a clue - hold on GOAL

Carrigaline
13/10/2009, 8:38 PM
Lucky, lucky Ireland. Literally with the last kick of the game we got a goal and only because a Swiss player made a complete howler of a clearance.

co. down green
13/10/2009, 8:38 PM
Garvan

rambler14
13/10/2009, 8:40 PM
We shouldn't be scraping draws at home.

There is an immensly talented bunch of individuals available for Under 21 selection and as long as Don Givens is in charge there is no way these players can move on.

Paddy Garcia
13/10/2009, 8:41 PM
Some decent players - you would wonder with a manager if they could do something!

... however seems a distinct lack of natural goalscorers coming through.

Carrigaline
13/10/2009, 8:45 PM
Redmond: Didn't have a whole pile to do, can't really judge.
Coleman: Got forward well enough, but wasn't all that convincing in defence.
Connelly: Not convincing.
Morris: Not convincing.
Hughton: Not convincing.
Judge: Can't believe he was MOTM, had no pace to beat his man and lost the ball so often it was ridiculous.
Davies: Other than a few nice crosses, did nothing.
Garvan: Gave away a goal and scored one. Positives were that he was eager to get on the ball and showed some nice touches. Negatives seem to be concentration and passing. Wayward at times.
McCarthy: A lot of huff and puff. Hoping it was just a poor game.
O'Shea: Looked off the pace.
Sheridan: My MOTM. Won everything in the air, but had feck all support and had to create his own chances.

Treacy: One or two decent crosses and a good run. More of a threat than O'Shea.
Clifford: One or two good passes, one or two wayward passes.
Collins: Not enough time to judge him.

Overall, the only players who would even come close to making the senior team were Sheridan and Garvan. Sheridan should surely be 4th choice striker after Keane, Doyle and Folan. With S. Reid permanently crocked, Garvan would probably come in behind Andrews, Whelan and Gibson.

geysir
13/10/2009, 8:49 PM
I'd take that last second equaliser against the Swiss, it's inspirational.
Aren't the Swiss rated good at this level?

drummerboy
13/10/2009, 8:52 PM
Are you forgetting Leon Best when it comes to the senior team? Sheridan did well. Givens was too conservative playing a 4-1-4-1 set up. I thought the midfield trio did well. Two centre half not convincing in the air, though Coneely looked very composed on the ball. Coleman was tidy. Hughton was playing on his wrong side but did ok. O'Shea was disappointing for me. Judge has a great first touch and delivers a decent ball if he is a tad slow.

shaneker
13/10/2009, 8:53 PM
Only saw from 56 onwards, but was disappointed with the defence (the number of lunging tackles was odd) but thought McCarthy looked classy WHEN he got on the ball - game seemed to pass him by a fair bit. Liked the look of Clifford, to say it was his first game at this level, he looks to have a real range of passing and plays with his head up. Hope he gets a loan move or some Carling Cup time soon. Hughton looked so keen, but a bit out of his depth. Sheridan worked very hard and Sky reckoned he did very well in the first half, can't comment on that. Treacy did okay, had one great driving run which won a free kick.

Some talent there, tactically look all wrong. Behind Estonia and Georgia in the group now (having played a game more than Georgia). Altogether now - Givens out...

Great to see Number One Is Gary Breen doing the punditry too - confident about winning the playoffs and trusting in Trap. What a guy.

Paddy Garcia
13/10/2009, 8:55 PM
I'd take that last second equaliser against the Swiss, it's inspirational.
Aren't the Swiss rated good at this level?

They were poor tonight.

Carrigaline
13/10/2009, 8:58 PM
Are you forgetting Leon Best when it comes to the senior team?Oops :o

Although having said that, I don't see a huge pile of difference between Best, Folan and Sheridan.

Razors left peg
13/10/2009, 9:11 PM
Oops :o

Although having said that, I don't see a huge pile of difference between Best, Folan and Sheridan.

Except that Best seems to score goals when the other 2 dont

blobbyblob
14/10/2009, 7:24 AM
Was down there and thought Judge was well worth his man of the match. Jay O Shea was also very impressive as was Sheridan, Garvan and Hughton. The back 4 worked well throughout as a unit and were organising and talking to each other all night. The swiss are very highly regarded and while you could say that the let us play in the first 2/3rds of the pitch, we knocked the ball around well and the movement was great off the ball. Seemed to play very narrow and the 5 at the back was completely necessary after the first 20 minutes. We had at most 2 men in the box all night until the last minute.

Two points lost methinks more due to tactics than the opposition. Good solid performance though. Sill cant understand why they don't give away the remaining match tickets to the schools the day before the match.

Junior
14/10/2009, 9:46 AM
Cian Hughton - Liked the look this lad - lots of energy going forward and defensively looked sound.

Coneely - looked comfortable on the ball. A few occasions where he took control of the ball on his chest and played it out from the edge of the box - confident stuff.

McCarthy - Some decent surging runs but not involved enough for my liking. Those calling for him to be inthe senior setup should take a look at this game. Im sure hell be great for us but give him time.

Sheridan - Definitely getting stronger, less like bambi on ice each game I see. Likes to work the channels, though that only works well if you have a strike partner in the middle or supporting midfielders getting in to the box - we had neither last night.

Judge - very confident on the ball, always willing to have a go at his fullback, got some good balls in and had a few decent strikes on goal (worthy MOTM in my opinion).

Garvan - Looks good - but had a mixed game. Some decent passsing, though gave possession away too and at fault for the Swiss Goal - Made up for it with a decent strike for the equaliser. Garvan and McCarthy both look a decent build, 6 footers, athletic, bodes well for the senior team in years to come.

Treacy - What is he doing with that 'flick' get a haircut son!

Ozymandias
14/10/2009, 4:14 PM
On McCarthy I thought he made some good runs but was not picked out by his teammates...he was very comfortable on the ball and I think with better players around him he would impress more ........Given should have used him more...he is strong in the tackle as well ...still young but looks to have something about him

irishultra
14/10/2009, 4:58 PM
alan judge played football every summer in matches between my estate and his one. we were like river plate, the team of the middle classes, they were like boca juniors, the working class team. matches were epic. he never looked unbelievable but was quite fast and good control

Predator
14/10/2009, 11:27 PM
What did the defence look like?