PDA

View Full Version : :(

gael353
22/02/2004, 12:19 AM
Spent my Saturday night meeting fellow supporters who are all worried about if we will be playing league football this season. Its not the licensing issue but the failure of the manager to sign…any players, no, player. Five weeks before the season we had all of our players who were fully committed to Limerick Football Club. Now look at us.

Gone for definite are Brendan Hughes and Derrick McCarthy to Galway. Before them Graham Loughman wasn’t contacted to come back, (remember we have John Healy who hasn’t signed a contract yet) Steven O’Flynn and Brendan Sweeney weren’t offered any contracts by Limerick so they signed for Cork. Colm Heffernan again no offer made so he went to Sligo, Eoin Keating fair enough went to the GAA while Shane O’Donoghue is going to Australia. But overall the reason we have lost players and we look like losing more is because they are not or have not been offered contracts.

I mean, the friendly match with Tralee Dynamos had to be called off, as we couldn’t field a team! What a joke, who are the semi pros here?

Who would blame any of our remaining players for leaving now? If they have any ambition of not finishing last or second last, Shur they might as well! Who’s left? None signed but still training with us are two 15yo’s who are signed by Dublin underage clubs, a useless Nigerian lad, a French lad (who’s also training with Cork) Jimmy Fyffe, John Healy, Paul Finnucane, Pat Purcell, Conor Molam, and Ross Cosgrave (who’s rumoured to be going back to Fairview)

Our team, which nearly won promotion…. was allowed to disintegrate. We have no licence and this is causing not just us but the league problems (hence the AGM being stopped) Rovers will get their licence but you see it’s us! We are the problem here. So no licence, no players, a borrow pitch! What do we offer to this league? I had to come home early tonight. I was tired, drained. I couldn’t enjoy myself knowing that my team is going….going….g

Estar
22/02/2004, 9:19 AM
Saw C. Foley have a good game for Sligo Rovers v Pat's on friday night.

When have ye to get the licence by?

gael353
22/02/2004, 4:08 PM
but our appeal has gone in the league cannot start cos of us. But again our main prob isnt the fact we havent got a licence its we dont have a team. What is it with Kildare they have a fasination with Foley lol

atfconline
22/02/2004, 4:48 PM
Graham Loughman has been training with us for the past few weeks. Played last 20 minutes or so today against Rovers, wasn't really called into action at all.

Estar
22/02/2004, 6:09 PM
Originally posted by gael353
What is it with Kildare they have a fasination with Foley lol

Must be his bald head!:D

4tothefloor
23/02/2004, 2:32 PM
gael353 , I hate to say this but I think it could be for the best if the club folds. I think the supporters club are wasting their time dealing with the cowboys who "run" the club at the moment. The club licensing is very real and UEFA are dead right to enforce it. How can anybody see the current setup achieving a license under the current situation? The club doesn't have a pot to pi$$ in, has no team and has no longterm plans for the future. In any case the club has only 1 year (I think) of a derogation to achieve the license. They haven't a hope in hell. The players know this and this is why they are all leaving.

Instead I think that the SC should maybe start planning for the future and start looking at other avenus, one which includes the very real possibility that a new club will have to be established if league of Ireland soccer is to be maintained in the city. The FAI will not be at all happy that the country's third city has no representation at national level, and its quiet possible that they would fully back a new club if the worst comes to the worst. Its also obvious that nobody, and I mean nobody, could make such a spectacular **** up of running a club as the current committee. This should ensure that these idiots are kept well away from any future involvement. It looks like its really down to the supporters now to keep things alive or face extinction. Its a disgraceful situation :(

LFC in Exile
24/02/2004, 7:09 AM
Originally posted by 4tothefloor
It looks like its really down to the supporters now to keep things alive or face extinction. Its a disgraceful situation :(

Go to the meeting tonight. Details on another thread.

4tothefloor
24/02/2004, 10:00 AM
I'll be there