PDA

View Full Version : The Great Andy Reid Debate!

theneutral
13/10/2009, 8:51 AM
Saw this in the times today, have to say i agree with almost word for word!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/1012/1224256435134.html

Whilst i think there is easily a place in the squad for a player of Reids talents, the frenzy being whipped up by Dunphy in particular is almost embaressing!

He's out of the squad for breaking the rules, the team has continued to achieve in his absence, he will just have to be patient!

dr_peepee
13/10/2009, 9:09 AM
A little bit unfair on Reid in a way. Kind of makes out he's basking in the glow of Dunphy's praise in the way he reminded Reid about Keane and Brady in the past.

theneutral
13/10/2009, 9:31 AM
Yeah thats probably fair, its obvious by the shape he is in tah tReid has made a real effort and his performances have been of a higher tsandard aswell than anything we've seen him produce in al ong while.

However he would probably be the first to acknowledge that he broke the rules and is suffering the consequences, it is evident from Traps teams tha the prefers the workhorse type player as opposed to teh more skilful player, perhaps trap doesnt feel we have the players to play to Andy Reids strengths and hence having the luxury of reid in the team we would be weakened overall as we'd be down a workhorse!

Hope he gets back in the squad soon, im sure if he keeps up his current form he will, might not hurt to apologise (privateley) to Trap for breaking the rules aswell.

irishfan86
13/10/2009, 9:52 AM
Well, Trap played McGeady in this crucial game against Italy, leaving Hunt on the bench. I think there's more to Trap's strategy than simply picking a "workhorse."

Andy Reid is viewed as a winger/wide player by the current management team, and they view 4 wingers/wide players ahead of him (Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Lawrence).

Based on their performances so far, it would be hard to say that Trap has really screwed that up.

Trap doesn't think Reid is defensively responsible enough to play as a central midfielder in our system, and he has not played there much in the Premier League either (although he did play very well there for Sunderland in his first season under Roy Keane).

Bottom line, Reid is good enough for our squad, but I don't think he is miles better than McGeady, Hunt, Lawrence, or Duff...and if he's not playing centrally regularly for his club, do we want to throw him in to the middle for crucial qualifiers/playoffs? Okay, we may string a few more passes together, but I don't think Reid would have been capable of making some of the tackles Whelan made on Saturday.

I'm a huge Andy Reid fan and would have him in the squad, but I think Dunphy and a good chunk of Irish fans are taking this way too far.

Emmet7
13/10/2009, 10:07 AM
I think most people would have sympathy with Andy Reid's situation. By the sounds of it, he made a few stupid mistakes. He waited out late strumming his guitar. And when Trapattoni confronted him, he argued with Trapattoni.

It's not a feckin circus Trapattoni is running. Players can't wait out all night doing what they like.

What gets me about the whole Reid debate is, when Roy Keane was complaining about the Irish players staying out half the night on the p*ss in Saipan, Dunphy and co. supported Keane to the hilt, and there was a demand for a more disciplined and professional setup.

In comes Trapattoni and demands his players don't wait out on the p*ss half the night. And Dunphy jumps to the defence of those players who stayed out drinking.

I remember when Vialli came to Chelsea. While all the other players at the club would go on the booze every so often, eat chips and junk food, Vialli didn't drink and he ate the right food. It was the football culture he belonged to in Italy. Treat your body right. Get plenty of rest. Stay off the booze. Eat the right food.

Clearly last season Andy Reid was doing all the wrong things. He seems to be learning from the Trap way of doing things and has really got into shape this season. If we want to return to a 1970's type approach then fine, let the players wait out all night, eat chips and junk food and get no rest. But we won't win any games.

There has to be discipline in the squad and there has to be respect for the manager and his decisions, both by the players and the media. There can be only one manager. Football management is not a democracy, thankfully. We cannot have the mob calling the shots or demanding this player is included or that one. That would just lead to chaos.

Soccer Mom
13/10/2009, 10:09 AM
I'm a huge Andy Reid fan and would have him in the squad, but I think Dunphy and a good chunk of Irish fans are taking this way too far.

Couldn't agree more. There should be a place in the squad for him but it's not like he's a star midfielder for a top club. He plays for Sunderland for God's sake

Stuttgart88
13/10/2009, 11:22 AM
Did anyone hear Dunphy & Souness on Saturday about Reid?

Souness pretty much said that he sees Trap's logic but that for him Reid would be in the team. Dunphy then goes "but would he be in your squad?". Souness had just said yes, and had gone even further, but Dunphy was arguing against Souness no matter what he said. Comical.

noddy102
13/10/2009, 11:25 AM
Reid would be picked by most if not all members of the forum here.

Trap picks the squad. If Trap doesn't believe Reid adds to the squad, then we have to believe him and trust him. As long as the results keep flowing, we cannot argue with Trap.

Debate ends there. Feel sorry for Reid, but that is football.

Crosby87
13/10/2009, 11:31 AM
Does anyone else think Andy will get picked for the playoffs?

prince20
13/10/2009, 11:50 AM
Does anyone else think Andy will get picked for the playoffs?

He will if Trap can pick a 40 man squad:p

LFCSixty/Eighty
13/10/2009, 11:53 AM
I think the fact that Trap will NOT replace Darren Gibson, and would prefer to be a man down in terms of squad numbers says everything we need to know about how stubborn Trap is on this matter. This was a perfect opportunity for him to bring Andy back into the fold. It would have been an acknowledgment that Trap has gotten over whatever had happened in Germany and was ready to move on.

This tells us that Trap is NOT willing to forgive Reid no matter what happens. The fact that we have players either suspended or on a yellow card means that we are down to the bare bones, for Trap to suggest we have plenty of players to pick from and we don't need to call up anyone is plain ridiculous.

Dunphy lost the head on Saturday night thats for sure but I'm afraid that Trap is just as guilty with his attitude towards a player that has shown the kind of attitude to improving his attitude and physique that Richard Dunne did all those.

Dunne got a 2nd (if not 3rd and 4th chance) surely Andy Reid deserves that much?

jmurphyc
13/10/2009, 11:58 AM
Dunphy lost the head on Saturday night thats for sure but I'm afraid that Trap is just as guilty with his attitude towards a player that has shown the kind of attitude to improving his attitude and physique that Richard Dunne did all those.

To compare Dunphy and Trap is ridiculous. Trap could analyse football for days on end, whereas Dunphy would struggle to make one meaningful comment. Trap has done as well as we could possibly have imagined with this team and deserves to have the public's loyalty on this matter. I'm a huge Reid fan but the constant mention of his name on the airwaves is getting tiresome. If he gets called up, great. If not, move on.

Scram
13/10/2009, 12:06 PM
Saw this in the times today, have to say i agree with almost word for word!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/1012/1224256435134.html

Whilst i think there is easily a place in the squad for a player of Reids talents, the frenzy being whipped up by Dunphy in particular is almost embaressing!

He's out of the squad for breaking the rules, the team has continued to achieve in his absence, he will just have to be patient!

Nonsense! He's out of the squad for personal reasons.

WE SHOULD HAVE A POLL HERE? but public sentiment would lean towards 95% in favour of his inclusion in all squads and probably 80% to him being in the team

YOU CAN SEE HERE HOW HE TAKES THINGS PERSONAL:!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1sprC3-nmM (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1sprC3-nmM)

noddy102
13/10/2009, 12:07 PM
Nonsense! He's out of the squad for personal reasons.

WE SHOULD HAVE A POLL HERE? but public sentiment would lean towards 95% in favour of his inclusion in all squads and probably 80% to him being in the team

YOU CAN SEE HERE HOW HE TAKES THINGS PERSONAL:!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1sprC3-nmM (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1sprC3-nmM)

So what?

Noelys Guitar
13/10/2009, 12:56 PM
No chance of Reid being picked to play in the play-offs. Trap does not see him as crucial to his team plan (as of yet) and therefore he won't be back any time soon. I would have Reid in the squad everytime but I'm not the manager.

Wolfie
13/10/2009, 1:16 PM
If anything, I think Trapps attitude could well harden further against Reid.

Trapp was starting to bristle at the mention of Reid in the post match RTE interview and particularly the SKY interview.

Throw Dunphy into the mix with his trademark self appointment as the voice for the dispossessed - and this debate is now entrenched.

I'm not saying its right - but Trapp is a proud man and won't relent to media or mob pressure, regardless how justified and reasoned the argument.

I'd be interested to know how many "on the inside" have taken up for Reid. Brady? Keane?

Another point is - if included - where is it suggested that Reid is played and who does he replace?

passinginterest
13/10/2009, 1:31 PM
I am enjoying playing out on the left and don't really want to move into the middle to be honest.
I am trying to nail down a spot and make it my own so I am concentrating on developing my game on the left side.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8730_5623923,00.html

I think it's interesting that Reid said yesterday that he's happy playing on the left for Sunderland and he has no desire to play in the centre. It further justifies the argument thar Reid is competing with Duff, McGeady, Hunt and Lawrence for a place in the team/squad and possibly Andy Kehoe as Trap seems to see him as wide cover as well as a front man. Could it really be argued that Reid has been vastly superior to any of these players for Ireland? Or week in week out at club level? He might force his way past one of them if he continues his good form but it's not going to be easy.

Colbert Report
13/10/2009, 2:18 PM
Another point is - if included - where is it suggested that Reid is played and who does he replace?

I suggest we use him in tomorrow's match against Montenegro instead of Martin Rowlands. Right in central midfield, his best position.

jmurphyc
13/10/2009, 2:23 PM
If anything, I think Trapps attitude could well harden further against Reid.

Trapp was starting to bristle at the mention of Reid in the post match RTE interview and particularly the SKY interview.

Throw Dunphy into the mix with his trademark self appointment as the voice for the dispossessed - and this debate is now entrenched.

I'm not saying its right - but Trapp is a proud man and won't relent to media or mob pressure, regardless how justified and reasoned the argument.

I'd be interested to know how many "on the inside" have taken up for Reid. Brady? Keane?

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, the implication is that Trap won't include Reid because he's being told to. I don't think that this is the case; I'd say that (as cliched as this is) Trap will do what is in the best interests of the team. That said, he may well have included him by now if there wasn't so much media pressure. Besides, if Reid did actually manage to get called up and play by now, unless he was the second coming of Maradona a lot of people would be let down, such is the ferocity of the calls for him to be included in the squad. The pressure on him to perform would be incredible. Due to that, if he does get called up, it may be best to ease him in slowly, or at best play him in a friendly.

prince20
13/10/2009, 2:23 PM
I suggest we use him in tomorrow's match against Montenegro instead of Martin Rowlands. Right in central midfield, his best position.

And thats going to happen??? Surely we suggest that Stephen Ireland starts as well:p

Colbert Report
13/10/2009, 2:25 PM
And thats going to happen??? Surely we suggest that Stephen Ireland starts as well:p

Please take the time to read the post I was replying to, thanks.

KK77
13/10/2009, 2:26 PM
Could Andy Reid solve NAMA?

He has lost weight but should he not be the weight he is now all the time as a pro??

BTW i think he should be in the squad minimum.

seanfhear
13/10/2009, 2:27 PM
Could Andy Reid solve NAMA?

He has lost weight but should he not be the weight he is now all the ime as a pro??

BTW i think he should be in the squad minimum.
He used to like NAN bread:)

KK77
13/10/2009, 2:42 PM
He used to like NAN bread:)

Not all he used to like:D

Bluebeard
13/10/2009, 3:17 PM
This is not a Great debate. It is often looked on as a great debate. It is nothing of the kind. Its performance today is a disgrace, a monument to conceit adorned with vanity and self-indulgence, rendered all the more objectional by the swagger of its gait.

Now you look at the Famous Thunderstorms thread - that was a really great debate. That was how a great debate should be. That will be talked of for years to come as a great debate...

soccerboy
13/10/2009, 4:56 PM
ya trap was certainly not happy with the andy reid questions after the game...he made his decision so we have to stand by him,so far he hasn,t lost a competitive game in charge,made us hard to beat and play against...remember the 5-2 defeat to cyprus a couple of years ago,at such a low ebb i couldnt imagine the position we are in now so you cant knock trap....reid has only himself to blame for the guitar incident,he lost his place in the squad and those who came in havnt done much wrong...dont get me wrong,i believe reid is a talented footballer but he is very limited defensively

briancool21
14/10/2009, 8:30 PM
I think too much is made of the way the staunton ere went that was the worst we possibly could have been like why people keep bringing up the 5-2 thing is stupid. we've gone back to exactly the way we were under brian kerr boring and ineffective against bigger sides

Emmet7
14/10/2009, 8:54 PM
Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid were mainstays of the Stauntan era.

We might have been good going forward, but we were shocking at the back. Teams just walked through us in the middle of the field. I can still remember the time the Cypriots had to pick their passes in that 5 - 2 defeat with not an Irish midfielder in site to tackle them.

By the way did Andy Reid play in that appalling 1 -1 draw with Cyprus in Stan's last game?

FarBeag
14/10/2009, 9:46 PM
Andy Reid should be in the squad and should have played tonight. He is a million times a better player than Miller, Rowland’s, Keogh, Hunt McGeady and is on par with Duff. If he was playing we would have won that match.

Fair play to Trap for getting us to the play offs but imo Reid could be the difference between us going to SA or going out.

gaiscíoch
14/10/2009, 10:17 PM
Andy Reid should be in the squad and should have played tonight. He is a million times a better player than Miller, Rowland’s, Keogh, Hunt McGeady and is on par with Duff. If he was playing we would have won that match.

Fair play to Trap for getting us to the play offs but imo Reid could be the difference between us going to SA or going out.

On a par with Duff with all his appearances for Chelsea and Blackburn compared to Reid's massive amount of games played at Spurs?
All those games Reid has played in Europe really put him ahead of Mc Geady for me.

"If" my granny had balls she would be my grandad....

osarusan
14/10/2009, 10:20 PM
This is not a Great debate. It is often looked on as a great debate. It is nothing of the kind. Its performance today is a disgrace, a monument to conceit adorned with vanity and self-indulgence, rendered all the more objectional by the swagger of its gait.

Now you look at the Famous Thunderstorms thread - that was a really great debate. That was how a great debate should be. That will be talked of for years to come as a great debate...
do you read much Steinbeck?

FarBeag
14/10/2009, 10:32 PM
On a par with Duff with all his appearances for Chelsea and Blackburn compared to Reid's massive amount of games played at Spurs?
All those games Reid has played in Europe really put him ahead of Mc Geady for me.

"If" my granny had balls she would be my grandad....

I am talking about the present not the past. Duff was a world class player then. I wouldn’t say he is now would you? As for McGeady who I like by the way and his European appearance come on, Celtic are more or less guaranteed a place in Europe every season and so is McGeady no matter how good or bad he is?

briancool21
14/10/2009, 10:56 PM
Reid would walk into the celtic team so that point is null and void..yes Ireland and reid were in the team, but our manager then would have had trouble putting out the cones let alone managing the team. I think an o' leary or aldridge would have been a much better choice or even owen coyle then trappatonni and cheaper too

SuperDave
15/10/2009, 12:07 PM
Reid would walk into the celtic team so that point is null and void..yes Ireland and reid were in the team, but our manager then would have had trouble putting out the cones let alone managing the team. I think an o' leary or aldridge would have been a much better choice or even owen coyle then trappatonni and cheaper too

Have you watched Celtic much lately? Ahead of McGeady? Ahead of Pat McCourt (have you seen his goals lately)? Ahead of Niall McGinn (who can't get in the team but was man of the match in Prague last night for Northern Ireland)?

Wise up.