PDA

View Full Version : SARI Press Statement concerning Ndo Incident

Pages : [1] 2 3

Réiteoir
12/10/2009, 1:03 PM
This has been circulated to all Irish Media in response to the Ndo incident in Tallaght a couple of weeks ago

It has been brought to our attention, by members of the public, that an alleged racist incident took place at last week's game between Shamrock Rovers and Bohemians at Tallaght Stadium.

There is evidence from footage broadcast on TG4 that monkey chants, emanating from Rovers fans, were directed at Joseph N'do, the Bohemian's player.

Sport Against Racism Ireland contacted the FAI to investigate this incident. Des Tomlinson FAI Intercultural Football Programme Coordinator has said “he informed Fran Gavin, Director of the League of Ireland of the details of this allegation… and has asked the League of Ireland to instigate procedures to investigate the allegation”.

The UEFA anti-racism regulations are incorporated into the FAI Intercultural Plan.

SARI would urge the FAI to look at implementing the UEFA Respect programme in line with other UEFA member associations and alert clubs to the recent statement by Sepp Blatter, FIFA President 'To my mind, fining the clubs "responsible" does not work. They need to be docked points in the league and in European competitions and kicked out altogether if need be. Such punishment is actually envisaged in our Disciplinary Code and without it we cannot hope to eradicate this problem'.

EnglishSource
12/10/2009, 1:20 PM
Hey Reiteoir, did you send a similar complaint to SARI when McGuinness abused Boco or are you only interested in anti-racism when it could possibly benefit the team you support?

Mr A
12/10/2009, 1:28 PM
If the the league had any credibility, this would be damaging it.

A points deduction though? I'm not aware of any previous incident regarding racism at Rovers so that would be disproportionate IMO. It sounded like only a few people involved, and that's very hard for any club to stop happening on a one off basis.

dcfcsteve
12/10/2009, 1:32 PM
Fair play to SARI for making sure this isn't just swept under the carpet, as I'm sure the FAI would have liked.

Though it's a big ask for them to push for points deductions on something like this. I'm not against that - but it shouldn't be implemented mid-season out of the blue.

Identifying the culprits aside, there should be points deductions for this sort of thing, but it should be incorporated in a new rule that's spelt out clearly at the start of a new season.

OneRedArmy
12/10/2009, 1:48 PM
SARI are only quoting Fat Blatter. If he said it, its fair game for them to ask the FAI to honour it (not that I expect anything other than a fine to result).

superfrank
12/10/2009, 1:50 PM
A points deduction though? I'm not aware of any previous incident regarding racism at Rovers so that would be disproportionate IMO.
Metz had one point deducted a few years ago for an opposition player receiving racial abuse at a match.

Though I very much doubt the FAI would issue a points deduction (again) when it will affect the title. I'd say a big fine will be handed down.

theneutral
12/10/2009, 2:20 PM
Doubt there will be a points reduction, it will be left a fine id say.
FAI wont want to be seen to be hypocrites after the Jason McGuinness affair earlier in the season.

Sepp Blatters statement taht clubs/teams should be docked points though is laughable!

Remember the Spain v England game a few seasons ago, the fine was scandalously small and there was at least a third of the Bernabeau that night making monkey at the english lads.
Louise ARagones called Thierry Henry a b*ack sh*t and pretty much got away scott free for that aswell, there has been numerous incidents, of a much higher profile that his organisation have refused or failed to deal with suitably over the last few years.

Leejo
12/10/2009, 2:26 PM
I'm not aware of any previous incident regarding racism at Rovers so that would be disproportionate IMO.

In fairness it was highlighted both in the other thread on this forum about it and on a thread on srfcultras.net that this ISN'T the first racial indicent at Rovers, there were incidents at the matches against Bohs (both this year and last), and against Kildare in the cup - none of those incidents were covered as widely though, i'd assume because of lack of evidence so maybe that's what you're reffering too. Either way it's not the first incident I'm aware of within Rovers, but that's a discussion for another day.

1 gold star for SARI for following up on this, let's hope they keep the pressure up on the FAI to ackonwledge this happened and to take postive action against it.

dfx-
12/10/2009, 2:33 PM
Looking through their archive, I see no press release on Jason McGuinness' behaviour. They must have a quota of press releases and deemed it unimportant.

peadar1987
12/10/2009, 2:38 PM
I'd be in favour of a fine, and making it very clear that there will be a points deduction if it happens again. Racism is unacceptable in our league, or anywhere else for that matter.

theneutral
12/10/2009, 3:07 PM
Looking through their archive, I see no press release on Jason McGuinness' behaviour. They must have a quota of press releases and deemed it unimportant.

Really? Hadnt bothered to check.

That wouldnt add up as it is evident on thebohs forum that it was there fans crying to SARI that got this reaction from them, one post seemed to mention that SARI had something to say about McGuinness racially abusing Boko.

Anybody know how much McGuinness was fined for that incident? Id imagine the fine to Rovers will be in keeping with that one.

Jicked
12/10/2009, 3:10 PM
If there were hundreds, even dozens of people involved you could begin talking about a points deduction. If it had happened throughout the course of the game, maybe you could start talking about a points deduction. What we have here is a tiny handful of scumbags who at one stage during the game were apparently heard by Bohs fans on TV. It wasn't loud enough to be heard by the average TV viewer, it didn't occur on numerous times throughout the game and there hasn't been a history of this sort of thing at Rovers games. Talk of a points deduction is laughable considering you had thousands of people openly making monkey noises to Stephen Reid in Podgorica with no reprimand. Besides it's a moot point in terms of the title race, if a points deduction was handed to Rovers, the exact same would have to be applied to Bohs for Jason McGuinness' comments to Bocco earlier in the year.

dfx-
12/10/2009, 3:16 PM

That wouldnt add up as it is evident on thebohs forum that it was there fans crying to SARI that got this reaction from them, one post seemed to mention that SARI had something to say about McGuinness racially abusing Boko.

May of this year wasn't it?

http://www.sari.ie/sarisite/press-room.html

It doesn't add up. Surely they were emailed then too by these heroic conscientious Bohs fans.

White Horse
12/10/2009, 3:24 PM
How can they be sure the alleged racist abuse was not coming from his own teammates? They are the ones with form for this sort of thing.

SkStu
12/10/2009, 3:48 PM
May of this year wasn't it?

http://www.sari.ie/sarisite/press-room.html

It doesn't add up. Surely they were emailed then too by these heroic conscientious Bohs fans.

your missing the point majorly or else twisting things to suit yourself. There was no need for any set of fans to email SARI or any other organisation as this was splashed across the media mere minutes after it occurred and drew a major response from the same organisations within days.

What Bohs fans, and any other fans who disagree with racism (not that there appears to be very many on here unless it suits them), were looking for was similar punishment for a similar offense. The reaction of the Shamrock Rovers fans here to this news speaks volumes. You should be holding your hands up, accepting there is a problem (racial abuse of Ndo has occurred twice now) and speaking with your club on how best to eradicate this problem.

Im delighted with the press release from SARI but i will wait to see what punishment, if any, is handed down from the FAI. I dont agree with a points deduction but i expect a large fine or, as someone requested a punishment similar to McGuinness' suspension, a game or two behind closed doors.

SkStu
12/10/2009, 3:50 PM

Anybody know how much McGuinness was fined for that incident? Id imagine the fine to Rovers will be in keeping with that one.

do you really expect any poster with a modicum of intelligence to still believe that you are not a Shamrock Rovers fan? Please. :rolleyes:

theneutral
12/10/2009, 3:56 PM
do you really expect any poster with a modicum of intelligence to still believe that you are not a Shamrock Rovers fan? Please. :rolleyes:

Maybe my opinions as a result of that whole night have gotten you to thinking that but i stand by them and my reasons for them.
Id have no problem proclaiming myself a rovers fan if i were one (they are the most succesful club this country has after all) but the fact remains that im not.
Not arsed what you think to be honest!!:rolleyes:

seand
12/10/2009, 3:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/8284278.stm

Similar alleged incident up North led to a fine of £1,250 .... which of course is being appealled.

Leejo
12/10/2009, 3:57 PM
]were apparently heard by Bohs fans on TV.

I'm sure it could be heard by anyone :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fretxesAwI

Jicked
12/10/2009, 4:01 PM
, as someone requested a punishment similar to McGuinness' suspension, a game or two behind closed doors.

For an isolated incident, done by a handful of scumbags? You really think playing two games behind closed doors is the same as McGuinness suspension? Seriously now? Then again Sheridan is in another thread demanding games behind closed doors and for Rovers to be deducted points for lighting flares which was organised with local Gardai and for the heinous pitch invasion behind advertising hoarding on the side of the pitch versus Derry so maybe you do think that it's a proportionate sanction. Anyway, should that happen I'll have a night off to head down Liffey Boardwalk and pay 4 or 5 lovely chaps to wander in to Dalyer, speak their minds and have Dalymount closed for weeks.

FWIW look at the Ultras forum for Rovers fans take on this. A lot of confusion as the vast majority of people in the stand heard nothing (genuinely, I was there) and everyone else saying that the few scumbags who decided to this for about 4 seconds during the game should be given life bans from Tallaght. What more do you genuinely want Rovers fans to say/do?

SkStu
12/10/2009, 4:02 PM
Maybe my opinions as a result of that whole night have gotten you to thinking that but i stand by them and my reasons for them.
Id have no problem proclaiming myself a rovers fan if i were one (they are the most succesful club this country has after all) but the fact remains that im not.
Not arsed what you think to be honest!!:rolleyes:

well then the best i can say is youre letting a personal matter cloud your judgement regarding racism. If you think that is acceptable then knock yourself out. It just serves to make your contribution to this matter highly irrelevant.

Jicked
12/10/2009, 4:04 PM
I'm sure it could be heard by anyone :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fretxesAwI

Look at the original match thread and look at just how many people picked up on it! The fact that the game went out live on national television without it being mentioned by anyone until 2 weeks later after a campaign by a Bohs messageboard to try and get SARI to dock Rovers points on the back of 3 or 4 seconds of youtube footage. It hardly had the country up in arms did it now?

SkStu
12/10/2009, 4:10 PM
For an isolated incident, done by a handful of scumbags? You really think playing two games behind closed doors is the same as McGuinness suspension? Seriously now? Then again Sheridan is in another thread demanding games behind closed doors and for Rovers to be deducted points for lighting flares which was organised with local Gardai and for the heinous pitch invasion behind advertising hoarding on the side of the pitch versus Derry so maybe you do think that it's a proportionate sanction. Anyway, should that happen I'll have a night off to head down Liffey Boardwalk and pay 4 or 5 lovely chaps to wander in to Dalyer, speak their minds and have Dalymount closed for weeks.

FWIW look at the Ultras forum for Rovers fans take on this. A lot of confusion as the vast majority of people in the stand heard nothing (genuinely, I was there) and everyone else saying that the few scumbags who decided to this for about 4 seconds during the game should be given life bans from Tallaght. What more do you genuinely want Rovers fans to say/do?

what would you consider a proportionate sanction then Jicked, if i can throw the question back at you, considering you seem to be a decent poster who is willing to acknowledge the issue. My rationale is that someone said the punishment should be similar to McGuiness'. McGuiness was fined and banned for (i think) 5 games. A ban of a player would be similar to a ban for supporters. I dont think it will happen and i would be content with a significant fine, i was just throwing that out there.

On another point, in relation to your second paragraph, a lot of the posters here said that it wasnt racist chanting and that the fans were chanting "boo boo". Thats denial of racism when they obviously heard something.

As decent people, we need to work towards eradicating this sort of behaviour and stop hiding behind excuses.

theneutral
12/10/2009, 4:11 PM
well then the best i can say is youre letting a personal matter cloud your judgement regarding racism. If you think that is acceptable then knock yourself out. It just serves to make your contribution to this matter highly irrelevant.

Irrelevent to you maybe, the all seeing eye of Sauron!

I dont condone racism, or sectarianism as is well documented in another thread. Football fans from Rovers, Dundalk, Derry etc have already contributed with honest evaluations of the incident. A fine will be more than enough by way of punishment and anybody who is demanding any more than that is either insane or a Bohs fan!

Sheridan
12/10/2009, 4:13 PM
The fact that the game went out live on national television without it being mentioned by anyone until 2 weeks later after a campaign by a Bohs messageboard to try and get SARI to dock Rovers points on the back of 3 or 4 seconds of youtube footage.
Ehh, take your own advice there, hoss, and read the thread....it was mentioned on the night (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=1243025&postcount=77). It's far more audible on the TG4 archive than the Youtube clip, and continues for longer. Plainly dozens of people involved.

This is the second time (after the elephant-washing song) this player has been racially abused by supporters of the same club, I don't think a fine is going to be sufficient punishment. McGuinness should have banned for longer, IMO, but at least Bohs suspended him and publicly affirmed their opposition to racism. The fact that the Shamrock Rovers board, so quick to fire out responses left, right and centre to perceived slights in the media, have so far failed to condemn this incident speaks volumes. But this isn't about Rovers, this is about racism, and it's good to see SARI taking a stance.

SkStu
12/10/2009, 4:13 PM
Irrelevent to you maybe, the all seeing eye of Sauron!

I dont condone racism, or sectarianism as is well documented in another thread. Football fans from Rovers, Dundalk, Derry etc have already contributed with honest evaluations of the incident. A fine will be more than enough by way of punishment and anybody who is demanding any more than that is either insane or a Bohs fan!

well then stop trying to drag this thread off topic, like you did with the last one.

dfx-
12/10/2009, 4:23 PM
your missing the point majorly or else twisting things to suit yourself. There was no need for any set of fans to email SARI or any other organisation as this was splashed across the media mere minutes after it occurred and drew a major response from the same organisations within days.

My point is that Sport Against Racism Ireland appear to have no recognition, condemnation, call for action, indignation or anything else for the incident, publicity or no publicity. So quite obviously, they needed to be informed.

Which I'm sure Bohs fans did in great numbers.

seand
12/10/2009, 4:40 PM
what would you consider a proportionate sanction then Jicked, if i can throw the question back at you, considering you seem to be a decent poster who is willing to acknowledge the issue. My rationale is that someone said the punishment should be similar to McGuiness'. McGuiness was fined and banned for (i think) 5 games. A ban of a player would be similar to a ban for supporters. I dont think it will happen and i would be content with a significant fine, i was just throwing that out there.

On another point, in relation to your second paragraph, a lot of the posters here said that it wasnt racist chanting and that the fans were chanting "boo boo". Thats denial of racism when they obviously heard something.

As decent people, we need to work towards eradicating this sort of behaviour and stop hiding behind excuses.

If you want it to be proportional to McGuinness's pathetic punishment then the handful of perpetrators should be banned for 5 games each.

SkStu
12/10/2009, 4:41 PM
If you want it to be proportional to McGuinness's pathetic punishment then the handful of perpetrators should be banned for 5 games each.

do you want to be the one who tracks them down? It doesnt work like that and im pretty sure you understand that. :rolleyes:

Jicked
12/10/2009, 4:44 PM

Jason McGuinness was clearly identifiable as the perpetrator, we don't know who it was who in the Rovers crowd who did this. If Bohs had been forced to forfeit games on the back of McGuinness not being identifiable it would have been ridiculous. Banning 6,000 people from a ground, significantly hitting the local economy on a match night and greatly changing the course of a title run-in because of the actions of a handful is way over the top, and I'm sure the Rovers board would win an injunction at the High Court to stop such an action at any rate.

I denied it happened after the game. I was in that ground, and, honestly, didn't hear anything of the sort. Booing yes, people calling Ndo and every other Bohs player all sorts, but nothing like monkey noises. And I'm not just saying that. If it was dozens of people I'd have heard it, hundreds of others would have. The vast majority of people heard nothing. The media which loves an oul story didn't pick up on it despite it being on national TV and being the most high profile game of the season (one which everyone was watching for re: behavour of fans) The stand isn't that big a place that the chants of dozens, or hundreds would go unnoticed. Especially if it was happening on a regular basis.

What do I think a fair result should be? A proper investigation, not by youtube footage. Go to tg4 and have a listen to their mics, ask Gardaí of which there were dozens in the stand, ask stewards too, if they heard any such, where it came from and why there was nothing done on the night if they did hear it. See did the referee or FAI match day co-ordinator or whatever he's called, noted the noises in their game reports.
If it transpires that they did hear a significant number of fans doing this (again, there was no way it was a sizable percentage of Rovers fans, or hundreds, or dozens) then fine the club and issue a warning as to future conduct.

If it was 3 or 4 knobends I wouldn't fine the club, you quite simply can't hold the club responsible in that situation, like I said before there'd be nothing to stop me rounding up a gang and heading to Dalyer. It's not preventable. Instead I'd get the club to talk with matchday security staff including gardai about removing anyone they see do this from which Rovers would then be able to ban them from any future games, have a word with fans groups about the self-policing of such incidents and continue to highlight the anti-racism/discrimination message that is read out before the teams enter the field of play at every home game and perhaps move the page in the club programme re: anti racism/discrimination to an even more prominent part of the programme.

OneRedArmy
12/10/2009, 4:54 PM
Jason McGuinness was clearly identifiable as the perpetrator, we don't know who it was who in the Rovers crowd who did this. If Bohs had been forced to forfeit games on the back of McGuinness not being identifiable it would have been ridiculous. Banning 6,000 people from a ground, significantly hitting the local economy on a match night and greatly changing the course of a title run-in because of the actions of a handful is way over the top, and I'm sure the Rovers board would win an injunction at the High Court to stop such an action at any rate.

I denied it happened after the game. I was in that ground, and, honestly, didn't hear anything of the sort. Booing yes, people calling Ndo and every other Bohs player all sorts, but nothing like monkey noises. And I'm not just saying that. If it was dozens of people I'd have heard it, hundreds of others would have. The vast majority of people heard nothing. The media which loves an oul story didn't pick up on it despite it being on national TV and being the most high profile game of the season (one which everyone was watching for re: behavour of fans) The stand isn't that big a place that the chants of dozens, or hundreds would go unnoticed. Especially if it was happening on a regular basis.

What do I think a fair result should be? A proper investigation, not by youtube footage. Go to tg4 and have a listen to their mics, ask Gardaí of which there were dozens in the stand, ask stewards too, if they heard any such, where it came from and why there was nothing done on the night if they did hear it. See did the referee or FAI match day co-ordinator or whatever he's called, noted the noises in their game reports.
If it transpires that they did hear a significant number of fans doing this (again, there was no way it was a sizable percentage of Rovers fans, or hundreds, or dozens) then fine the club and issue a warning as to future conduct.

If it was 3 or 4 knobends I wouldn't fine the club, you quite simply can't hold the club responsible in that situation, like I said before there'd be nothing to stop me rounding up a gang and heading to Dalyer. It's not preventable. Instead I'd get the club to talk with matchday security staff including gardai about removing anyone they see do this from which Rovers would then be able to ban them from any future games, have a word with fans groups about the self-policing of such incidents and continue to highlight the anti-racism/discrimination message that is read out before the teams enter the field of play at every home game and perhaps move the page in the club programme re: anti racism/discrimination to an even more prominent part of the programme.The difficulty in tracking the culprits down should have nothing to do with the severity of the sanction, in fact I'd argue the opposite. You'll find the more serious the sanction, the more likely the club will be able to stop it. Funny how it works like that....

dcfcsteve
12/10/2009, 5:00 PM
Doubt there will be a points reduction, it will be left a fine id say.
FAI wont want to be seen to be hypocrites after the Jason McGuinness affair earlier in the season.

Sepp Blatters statement taht clubs/teams should be docked points though is laughable!

Remember the Spain v England game a few seasons ago, the fine was scandalously small and there was at least a third of the Bernabeau that night making monkey at the english lads.
Louise ARagones called Thierry Henry a b*ack sh*t and pretty much got away scott free for that aswell, there has been numerous incidents, of a much higher profile that his organisation have refused or failed to deal with suitably over the last few years.

A clamp-down has to start somewhere.

Or should all organisation forever be beholden to their actions, or lack of action, of the past ? :confused:

theneutral
12/10/2009, 5:19 PM
A clamp-down has to start somewhere.

Or should all organisation forever be beholden to their actions, or lack of action, of the past ? :confused:

Agreed, but you can surely see the hypocrasy invovled in handing out a more severe punishment to Rovers in the same season they have dealt with another incident of racism, they will have to be seen to follow suit.

Maybe these two incidents will lead to them introducing more stringent rules in respect of such issues but rules which will be ultimatley implemented next season.

Then again this is the FAI were talking about!

brendy_éire
12/10/2009, 5:56 PM
If it was 3 or 4 knobends I wouldn't fine the club, you quite simply can't hold the club responsible in that situation, like I said before there'd be nothing to stop me rounding up a gang and heading to Dalyer. It's not preventable.

It may not be preventable, but why wasn't something done on the night about it? Why were the people not pointed out to the Gardai or stewards? Had this been done, at least the Club would have been seen to be taking action.
By not taking any action, Rovers have, IMO, left themselves open to any sanctions deemed necessary.

peadar1987
12/10/2009, 6:04 PM
Just because other clubs haven't been punished for racism doesn't mean that Shams shouldn't be. I know it might seem unfair, but a precedent has to be set, or else these racist scumbags will continue to get away with what they are doing. The response from Shams fans shouldn't be an immature "They got away with it, so should we", it should be "This is unacceptable. How can we stop this happening in the future".

And I'd be saying the exact same thing had it, god forbid, been Bray supporters doing the chanting.

Sheridan
12/10/2009, 6:06 PM
Bohs were fined for one fan referring to an Asian Wayside Celtic player as Bruce Lee in a cup game a few years back. This is miles more serious, and a repeat offence to boot.

dcfcsteve
12/10/2009, 9:30 PM
Agreed, but you can surely see the hypocrasy invovled in handing out a more severe punishment to Rovers in the same season they have dealt with another incident of racism, they will have to be seen to follow suit.

Maybe these two incidents will lead to them introducing more stringent rules in respect of such issues but rules which will be ultimatley implemented next season.

Then again this is the FAI were talking about!

Nobody is handing out any penalties to anyone at the moment yet.

And FIFA and the FAI are not the same organisation.

BohsPartisan
12/10/2009, 11:01 PM

If the other fans didn't ignore and allow the racist chanting to continue perhaps. However, like SkStu, I'd be happy with a significant fine and as I said on the other thread I want to win the league on the pitch not by default.

hoops1
12/10/2009, 11:10 PM
If the other fans didn't ignore and allow the racist chanting to continue perhaps. However, like SkStu, I'd be happy with a significant fine and as I said on the other thread I want to win the league on the pitch not by default.

What happened at the Rovers Bohs match should never happen again. It was wrong. But forgive us for being sceptical of the Bohs hysteria on this. You only have to go into the jokes section on gypoweb to see a range of Racist Homophobic Sexist jokes. Some of which are by Bohs fans you personally and other Bohs posters here know. So lets see the letters to SARI and the media on this. All racism is wrong not just when its done by people you dont like. You must show consistency even when it doesnt suit to show that you really are serious about it

BohsPartisan
12/10/2009, 11:35 PM
You must show consistency even when it doesnt suit to show that you really are serious about it

If I heard racist chanting at a game the people involved would know about it.

hoops1
12/10/2009, 11:37 PM
But you dont mind them posting Racist jokes on your forum:rolleyes:

BohsPartisan
12/10/2009, 11:38 PM
But you dont mind them posting Racist jokes on your forum:rolleyes:

PM me the links to any of the jokes you think racist and if I agree that they are racist I will delete them.

hoops1
12/10/2009, 11:43 PM
Here is one that was on the Bohs forum.

What do you call an Elephant with a Spade???

Dawn French... Bu-dum-chish...

Leave them all up so people can see the digusting hypocrisy being spouted by Bohs fans in particular on here.

BohsPartisan
12/10/2009, 11:46 PM
Here is one.

What do you call an Elephant with a Spade???

Dawn French... Bu-dum-chish...

Leave them all up so people can see the digusting hypocrisy being spouted by Bohs fans in particular on here.

While I don't like the joke and will be deleting it during a sweep of that thread, I would have deleted it if I'd seen it first time around, its not the same as racist chanting at a game, and you know it. Stop trying to get around this, I'm not looking for points deductions here I want Rovers to sort out this element.

Quadruple1928
13/10/2009, 1:20 AM
I, like 99.9% of all Rovers fans, utterly condemn the scumbag making monkey noises against Joseph Ndo.

Suggesting that this campaign is some kind of spontaneous new found anti-racist movement in the LOI is ****ing laughable. Lets call it what it is, a bitter, jealous, pathetic, planned and deliberately orchestrated attempt to damage SRFC by Bohs fans and others.

Bohs fans who gave sectarian abuse against Mannus at the same match, who singularly failed to do anything like this campaign when one of their own players was involved in racism, who have been posting racist and homophobic abuse against SRFC staff and members on their own forum no bother for weeks now.

You are not fooling anyone.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3568/3357416378_a3f29c7af3.jpg (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3568/3357416378_a3f29c7af3.jpg)

Sheridan
13/10/2009, 1:23 AM
That image is doctored, Quad. Those four points represent the four-in-a-row, and the one in the middle is...eh, for Rovers' only League Cup win. They're definitely not fascist symbols, and you're a racist for implying they are.

Sheridan
13/10/2009, 1:40 AM
Hoops Blitz Tallaght Schools with Anti-Racism Message (http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/press-releases/187-hoops-blitz-tallaght-schools-with-anti-racism-message-)

“In the beginning some of the kids did not even know what racism was,” explains club promotion officer Barry DolanI'd say they're well aware by now!

Rovers hope that through sports, young kids can meet new friends and people from different cultures. Shamrock Rovers continue to support this anti-racism campaign by not allowing any forms of racist abuse at their matches.There you go, a clear commitment broken. Interesting that, for a club which hates racism so much, the notoriously garrulous board has yet to comment on and condemn this vile abuse of the most despicable kind imaginable (yes, the same board which evidently thought a throwaway jibe by notorious motormouth Michael O'Leary more grievous, and serious enough to warrant a press release in response. (http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/press-releases/288-an-open-letter-to-michael-oleary-) Apparently racism isn't in the same category.)

brianw82
13/10/2009, 5:35 AM
Ok, people want something done about this? Let's make a start. I've emailed Shamrock Rovers about the incident and their lack of public action, and CCed the FAI and MNS. We'll see what kind of response I get, if any.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me of the Michael O'Leary incident there, Sheridan. Nice bit of cannon fodder. :)

GreenStar
13/10/2009, 8:00 AM
Hoops Blitz Tallaght Schools with Anti-Racism Message (http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/press-releases/187-hoops-blitz-tallaght-schools-with-anti-racism-message-)

I'd say they're well aware by now!
There you go, a clear commitment broken. Interesting that, for a club which hates racism so much, the notoriously garrulous board has yet to comment on and condemn this vile abuse of the most despicable kind imaginable (yes, the same board which evidently thought a throwaway jibe by notorious motormouth Michael O'Leary more grievous, and serious enough to warrant a press release in response. (http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/press-releases/288-an-open-letter-to-michael-oleary-) Apparently racism isn't in the same category.)

sheridan, you clearly have a major issue with Shamrock Rovers FC. Every single thread about this Club, whether positive or negative, you make sure to do your very best to tarnish everything and anything possible about them. If it's a positive thread you come on with some bulls**t having a go and if it's a negative thread you dive in there rubbing your hands with glee before starting off on rant after rant.

Your beloved club beat us in a play-off a few years back (then went and died) and that was the catalyst for the waking of a sleeping giant and I think that might be your problem. Deep down you know that the best moment of your life (a former club relegating us) was the best thing that could have happened to SRFC.

You're nothing but a wum. Get over it!

CMcC
13/10/2009, 9:02 AM
I, like 99.9% of all Rovers fans, utterly condemn the scumbag making monkey noises against Joseph Ndo.

Suggesting that this campaign is some kind of spontaneous new found anti-racist movement in the LOI is ****ing laughable. Lets call it what it is, a bitter, jealous, pathetic, planned and deliberately orchestrated attempt to damage SRFC by Bohs fans and others.

Lets be clear here. The only people damaging Shamrock Rovers here are their own 'supporters' and indeed their own board.

At the very least the board, when faced with this irrefutable evidence of their support engaged in racism should make a comment to the effect that as a club they abhor such behaviour, have worked tiresly to create awareness of rasism in the community as a whole and have taken proactive steps A, B & C to deal with it if it happens again in Tallaght Stadium.
That I believe would satisfy most level headed people (even Bohs fans). Talk of matches behind closed doors and point deductions are crazy. You cant gag supportes when they go through the turnstiles but you can act if they are seen or heard to do something which is out of order.
So your reaction on a match night will almost always have to be reactive rather than proactive. Your proactive measures should be in place long before the game anyway.
But SRFC have scored an own goal by not taking the initiative when this came out. Now, if they release a statement it will be perceived as reacting to the pressure brought to bare from the SARI statement and a cynical attempt to cover arse, which will make the board of SRFC appear quite weak and (probably not true but) soft on racism especially from their own support . Big error.