PDA

View Full Version : It's not just about Rovers

Dr.Nightdub
21/02/2004, 12:39 PM
While all the attention has been on Rovers and where they're gonna play etc, it has to be remembered that the hold-up in publishing the League fixtures isn't all just down to them appealing the licence decision.

What's the story with Limerick? They've no licence meaning Pike's ground is no good for the First, so where are they gonna play? They're holding the thing up as well.

Red_terror
21/02/2004, 1:56 PM
In my opinion Rovers problems are down to Rovers and they have only themselves to blame. I have a soft spot for Rovers due to the true dedication and passion of their following however i think they should be told that either they get into dalymount or get out and let the rest of us sort out these fixtures. There are plenty of teams in division 1 who have kept their houses in order and would be deserving of a shot in the premier if Rovers cannot fufill criteria set out a long time ago (excluding the sheep).

Dr.Nightdub
21/02/2004, 2:33 PM
Have changed the thread title to try and keep this on-topic

patsh
21/02/2004, 2:46 PM
Reading E. Malone here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?s=&postid=102829#post102829)
its really getting worrying now. What kind of a league will we have at all this year?
It's possible that we might end up with one 20 team league.
Rovers may get a ground in Dublin, but where will Limerick go?
Would there be any point in playing their games at Turners Cross?
Maybe North/South 10 team divisions, with the top 2 in each playing off for the league?
UEFA might even withhold places from clubs finishing in the European positions if we don't get this mess sorted out.

I think we are at rock bottom now, so its time to do something really drastic, even if this means a severely curtailed competition this year.
Rooney seems to be the man with all the ideas, he is getting paid enough money, I think the whole mess should be handed over to him, and lets see what he can make of it. It can't be any worse than the state we are in now.

tiktok
21/02/2004, 3:34 PM
If it keeps them on existence, Limerick should be able to play Turners Cross, after all, the MFA own the ground, and I'd hope city would welcome them while they get sorted.

With all the publicity I can't see Rovers being stuck, someone will sort them out.

It is a real mess and very embarrassing for the league. It's another example of how poorly run the whole league is run, I'm really disillusioned with the whole thing at the moment, well sick of the EL.

brendy_éire
21/02/2004, 5:36 PM
Had Limerick got promoted last season, I thought they had planned to use Thomond Park. Anything stopping them from using it next season?

Gary
21/02/2004, 5:53 PM
The whole affair is f*cking embarrassing. This league is being run by pathetic w*nkers.

Rovers at this point are a boil on the arse of the league. I agree they are good for the league, but only if the get a bloody ground sorted. Its not like its recent news. Its been going this way for 17 f*cking yrs now.

gael353
23/02/2004, 8:51 PM
The way the situation is getting worse at limerick (10 players out none in) dont be surprised if its a 21 team league and if its a 22 put all your money on the limerick supporters club comming last

TommyT
23/02/2004, 9:25 PM
Apparently Limerick failed to fulfill their friendly fixture with Tralee Dynamo's at the weekend.

gael353
24/02/2004, 11:50 AM
you see we couldnt field a team as no players have been signed! 3 weeks to go and 10 out, none in :(

liamon
24/02/2004, 1:13 PM
This is awful for the entire eL. Things not looking good for Limerick.

WE need regional teams like Cork/Galway/Waterford/Longford if we're ever to promote the league an dsee it grow.

IrelandUnited
24/02/2004, 11:39 PM
Television lads!!!! With Arsenal and Real on telly Irish socceristas do not give a fig whether limerick have a ground or not.

Sorry for being blunt but while the goggle box since 1966 has brought soccer into every home almost nightly it also marked the beginning of the end of LOI/NL/EL - call it what you will.

KCFC Bohs
25/02/2004, 2:12 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Nightdub
While all the attention has been on Rovers and where they're gonna play etc, it has to be remembered that the hold-up in publishing the League fixtures isn't all just down to them appealing the licence decision.

What's the story with Limerick? They've no licence meaning Pike's ground is no good for the First, so where are they gonna play? They're holding the thing up as well.

Kilkenny have offered Limerick the use of Buckley Park should they fail with their licence attempt, although I'd say the possibility of them coming to Kilkenny is very remote.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie

"And there was one faller in the First Division. Limerick FC were not awarded a First Division licence. But the good news for both is that the football family is to rally to their aid.
It is likely that Shamrock Rovers will be able to register Dalymount Park as their home ground while Limerick FC hope to come to an arrangement with Limerick junior club Pike Rovers for the use of their grounds – a ground they have been using for some seasons.
Kilkenny City have also thrown the Limerick club a lifeline. In the event of them failing to secure a home ground, the Cats have offered them Buckley Park for their home games. "

TommyT
25/02/2004, 2:25 PM
The difference between Galway and Limerick ?

Galway's local league accomodate the local LOI side.

Therefore the Galway and District's ground is far better than Jackman, football has a higher profile in th city and the Licence should be no problem...WAKEY WAKEY PEOPLE (LDMC not LSC)