View Full Version : Portugal, Greece, France or Russia

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

yablazer
10/10/2009, 11:29 PM
Looks like one of these.

Eek

Closed Account 2
10/10/2009, 11:34 PM
Slim but possible chance it could be the Swiss instead of the Greeks.

I also think it's destiny for a Ukraine v Russia draw.

tricky_colour
10/10/2009, 11:36 PM
I just hope we don't get an unbeated side, ie draw ourselves.

Kildare Lad
11/10/2009, 12:33 AM
In order of preference I would like Greece;France;Portugal;Russia.

Think Greece would be beatable definately over 2 legs, worst set of players out of the 4 and think we could take them with a draw away and win at home (more than we would get against any other IMO) but then again I'm no expert and havnt seen Greece play for a long time.

France are on the decline now and have been for a while, think they are beatable on away goals perhaps but even at that we would be lucky. People say they are a poor team now but they still have a lot of quality players to choose from and it would be a major achievement to get by them, possibly would be a bit like Italy maybe?

Portugal arent the greatest team but they have got a good selection of players and arguably the best player on the planet, can just imagine him terrorising Kilbane:o maybe we could hold out for a draw in one game but over the course of 2 games I could see us conceding 3 or 4 against these and unfortunately, dont think we would be capable of scoring that many.

Finally Russia, who I think would rip us a new one. Maybe they aren't as good as they were in Euro 08, but from what I can remember they were a great footballing team who moved it very quick while being hard to break down. Also as someone stated on another thread, away in Russia is one of the toughest international fixtures possible, if we draw Russia I for one will be very very pessimistic going into the game.

Having said all this, Trap has made us a very tough team to beat as the group shows, and he knows his stuff so with him I think we will put up a fight at the very least no matter who we get. Lets hope for a fully fit squad for these games and best of luck to them.

noddy102
11/10/2009, 12:43 AM
Portugal drew at home to 10 man Albania.

On this basis alone, I want Portugal.

Den Perry
11/10/2009, 12:46 AM
Portugal drew at home to 10 man Albania.

On this basis alone, I want Portugal.

es, but with a ref that is anyway weak they would be dangerous opposition because they are a cheating shower of f ucks

noddy102
11/10/2009, 12:48 AM
es, but with a ref that is anyway weak they would be dangerous opposition because they are a cheating shower of f ucks

Well... if we are going to go out to a team of cheaters, let us go out with a bang.

Hopefully Andrews or Whelan would break Ronaldo in half or something.

gustavo
11/10/2009, 12:50 AM
Bring it on as they say , couldn't give a **** who we get

Den Perry
11/10/2009, 12:51 AM
Well... if we are going to go out to a team of cheaters, let us go out with a bang.

Hopefully Andrews or Whelan would break Ronaldo in half or something.

don't think either of those two would get close enough o do any damange...

Noelys Guitar
11/10/2009, 1:14 AM

Thats the spirit. We are better as underdogs so the bigger the "name" we play the better. I watched Russia today and was not impressed. Not good enough to beat a poor German team at home. And never really looked like scoring.

irishultra
11/10/2009, 1:16 AM
better as underdogs my ass, we havent beaten a proper team in years

Noelys Guitar
11/10/2009, 1:25 AM

And nor have we lost to one in this relevant, current campaign. The one that counts. My ass

Blue Man
11/10/2009, 1:33 AM

Cyprus are a proper team, as are Georgia and South Africa. What exactly is the point your trying to make??? :rolleyes:

Closed Account 2
11/10/2009, 1:40 AM
Thats the spirit. We are better as underdogs so the bigger the "name" we play the better. I watched Russia today and was not impressed. Not good enough to beat a poor German team at home. And never really looked like scoring.

As much as I admire the spirit of your post, I think Russia would be a daunting challenge. They have a lot of quality in midfield and attack and I think they could hurt us with their quick passing game. The movement of their front players is so difficult to deal with, I saw their game too and you could tell the Germans had difficulty containing them to my mind the Russians could have a case for a penalty at the end and also Germany had a man sent off (Boateng ?) and Zhirkov went close many times from free kicks, clipping the top of the net on several occasions. Also Sergei Semak was absent today, I think he had a knock in one of Rubin Kazan's games, had he been in the center of midfield he could have pulled all the strings and Russia's ball retention would have been a lot better. There is a lot of height in the Russian team too (usually they play with one of Pavlyuchenko or Pogrebnyak upfront- but they have used Sasha Kerzhakov of late, and with Ignashevitch and the Berezuitskiy twins we would need to improve or marking at set plays). Russians also have an enormous sense of pride and occasion when playing in Moscow, none of our team have played the Russians in the Luzhniki (last game was in the Lokomotiv Stadium i think in 2002) and it really would be a test. Everything from the pitch, to the Russian winter (I can tell you having been in Russia in November it would be colder than you can imagine) to the level of noise would be very difficult.

foureyes
11/10/2009, 1:50 AM
france: people are critical of france under domenech but they always do the job when it needs doing. recall under kerr when they came to dublin and did us 1-0. that typifies them. the quality they have in their attack would be too much for us i think. henry, anelka, benzema, ribery, malouda... these are top players (ok some people might debate malouda but i rate him). i think they would be the worst draw.

portugal: a strange side - a good amount of quality but without ronaldo a bit of a blunt instrument. but, with ronaldo, they can hurt any team. he came off in the game today after 25 mins (groin injury i think) so if he's going to be out injured for a while i wouldn't mind facing them.

russia: pace and movement. they could kill us 3 or 4 nil in moscow. i think we'd need to get the moscow game first and play backs to the wall ugly football and then maybe take them in croker. big ask though.

greece: i don't fear greece. they're certainly no better than we are. this would be my ideal draw.

wexfordman
11/10/2009, 2:14 AM
any chance of the czechs leapfrogging portugal in the rankings.they are currently 17th portugal 16th.then france russia greece and czech rep would be the seeded teams.fifa would have to fix the draw again so portugal dont get france or russia

Closed Account 2
11/10/2009, 2:17 AM
I think we could beat France, their away form has been patchy. They drew in Serbia (1-1), lost in Austria (3-1), and drew in Romania (1-1) - a Romanian side that has been in total meltdown this campaign, conceeding as many goals as the Faeroe Islands. The only away wins France have got were against Lithania and the Faeroes where they eeked out 1-0s. At home they could only draw with Romania 1-1, tonight the Serbs beat Romania 5-0. The French have had a shocking campaign, Zidane carried the team for so long and now they really lack cohesion. Ribery may well still be injured, Alou Diarra a flop at Liverpool and Lyon was on the bench for them tonight.

Scotland beat them 1-0 home and away last time (Euro 08 qualification), we can do the same.

Closed Account 2
11/10/2009, 2:21 AM
any chance of the czechs leapfrogging portugal in the rankings.they are currently 17th portugal 16th.then france russia greece and czech rep would be the seeded teams.fifa would have to fix the draw again so portugal dont get france or russia

Even if that was to happen the Czechs are out of it now pretty much:

Slovakia 9 6 1 2 21 10 +11 19
Slovenia 9 5 2 2 15 4 +11 17
Czechs 9 4 3 2 17 6 +11 15

If they beat Northern Ireland in Prague, they also are depending on Slovenia not winning in San Marino, only Stan would say there was a chance of that happening.

seanfhear
11/10/2009, 5:59 AM
Good man. Thats the attitude we need going in to battle.

gufct
11/10/2009, 8:04 AM
Jesus h christ where is you lots pride in your country.I dont give two ffs who we get ive been following ireland for close on 40 years and this has been the best campaign i can remember for a whole lot ofr reasons. We are the biggest shower of knockers i have ever seen including number one on the list is is that excuse of an Irishman who us fools are paying 0ver €500k a year to spout **** on our national airwaves.

While im at it how can the bertie ahern chuckle club get away with the bull we had to endure from one of the most corrupt politicians ever on Todd Andrews Grandsons show on friday night.

OwlsFan
11/10/2009, 9:11 AM
Jesus h christ where is you lots pride in your country.I dont give two ffs who we get ive been following ireland for close on 40 years and this has been the best campaign i can remember for a whole lot ofr reasons. We are the biggest shower of knockers i have ever seen including number one on the list is is that excuse of an Irishman who us fools are paying 0ver €500k a year to spout **** on our national airwaves.

While im at it how can the bertie ahern chuckle club get away with the bull we had to endure from one of the most corrupt politicians ever on Todd Andrews Grandsons show on friday night.

While I agree with much of the above sentiment, I think it is a reasonable question to ask who we would like to get from a football point of view. I think from both a travel and football point of view I'd like France. Certainly would be very close but I fear whoever we get, we might go out on away goals and we concede too many at home. But if you offered me a play off place at the start of this campaign I would have snapped your hand off.

Razors left peg
11/10/2009, 9:13 AM
Would Croatia not come into the equation as one of the top 4 seeds?

backstothewall
11/10/2009, 9:21 AM
Would Croatia not come into the equation as one of the top 4 seeds?

Croatia won't come into contention as one of the second placed teams, unless something very strange happens between Andorra and Ukraine

Razors left peg
11/10/2009, 9:23 AM
Croatia won't come into contention as one of the second placed teams, unless something very strange happens between Andorra and Ukraine

To be honest I didnt look at the group, just assumed there were 2nd behind England

reder
11/10/2009, 9:48 AM
I'd be happy with Greece or Portugal over 2 legs and I would be much more confident if the away leg was first.

fionnsci
11/10/2009, 10:05 AM
Has to be Greece or France.

On paper we should have quite a good team for it. S.Reid in for Andrews, Duff in for Lawrence, (Finnan in for Kilbane?).

seanfhear
11/10/2009, 10:17 AM
Has to be Greece or France.

On paper we should have quite a good team for it. S.Reid in for Andrews, Duff in for Lawrence, (Finnan in for Kilbane?).I think i would play both Duff and Lawrence. S. Reid would be a certainty if fit.
Finnan right back and O'Shea moving to left would be my choice.
There is a few ifs there though.

Murfinator
11/10/2009, 10:28 AM
Greece is obviously the one we want here, not only not a quality team but a team that's comfortably weaker than we are.

After that we're looking at being underdogs. France and Portugal are starting to hit form like many predicted they would, a draw against either of them would worry me.

Russia are maybe not the fearsome opposition I first thought. They were good in the Euro's sure but also struggled against Sweden and got hammered by Spain twice. As well as that have lost to Germany twice in their qualifying group and generally haven't really beaten anyone of note.
Zenit aren't the awesome up and coming beasts they once looked to be either. So perhaps we shouldn't fear them.

fionnsci
11/10/2009, 10:31 AM
I think i would play both Duff and Lawrence. S. Reid would be a certainty if fit.
Finnan right back and O'Shea moving to left would be my choice.
There is a few ifs there though.

Where to fit Lawrence in though?

McGeady-Whelan-S.Reid-Duff.

Whelan has more than proved his worth and McGeady looked dangerous last night. Lawrence is a good man to have on the bench or incase of an injury ala Hunt.

seanfhear
11/10/2009, 10:41 AM
Where to fit Lawrence in though?

McGeady-Whelan-S.Reid-Duff.

Whelan has more than proved his worth and McGeady looked dangerous last night. Lawrence is a good man to have on the bench or incase of an injury ala Hunt.
Aiden does not produce enough end product I am afraid.
So it would be Duff and Lawrence for me.

Is Aiden good as an impact sub. Celtic supporters can tell us though I know he normally starts.

Stuttgart88
11/10/2009, 10:55 AM
I think Lawrence could do a job in the middle if needed, allowing Duff & McGeady to start.

Anyway, I think we have 4 very gooed wide options. LL, McGeady and Hunt all made valuable contributions last night and we know what Duff can do.

Somebody pay for Steven Reid to visit Lourdes please. In fact buy him a house there.

sligofan4ever
11/10/2009, 11:07 AM
Greece or Portugal for me.

Larks
11/10/2009, 11:12 AM
Mcgeady must start imo, as long as we get one footballer in the middle of the park (i.e. one who can switch the play and get the wingers on the ball, ones who are not bypassed by the long ball from the back every time).

Razors left peg
11/10/2009, 11:16 AM
I think away to Russia in november on a plastic pitch would be the stuff of nightmares.France have too many good players not to be dangerous and I dont think we could hold them scoreless in Croke park so the away goal would kill us.Portugal have some brilliant players and while I havent seen much of them in qualification, I have seen Denmark and Sweden while I was living in Sweden for few months and I thought both were poor sides, so the fact that Denmark topped the group would suggest to me that Portugal are beatable.I havent seen Greece playing at all in these qualifiers but on paper u would have to say that man for man they would be by far the most preferable choice.Lets see if people are right about Trap being a lucky manager when the draw is made

Razors left peg
11/10/2009, 11:17 AM
I think Lawrence could do a job in the middle if needed, allowing Duff & McGeady to start.

Anyway, I think we have 4 very gooed wide options. LL, McGeady and Hunt all made valuable contributions last night and we know what Duff can do.

Somebody pay for Steven Reid to visit Lourdes please. In fact buy him a house there.

Exactly my thinking after seeing Lawrence last night

third policeman
11/10/2009, 12:13 PM
Exactly my thinking after seeing Lawrence last night

Think he might even be more effective for us there as he would get on the ball more. He was outstanding last night and showed real desire / passion which is what we will need to get us through the play-off. On the basis of his defending last night I would even consider him at full back

SuperDave
11/10/2009, 12:14 PM
Greece's record is poor. 2-1 home defeat to swiss, and 2-0 away. 1-1 draw in moldova, 1-1 in israel and only a 2-1 home win against them. I know our recent record v israel isn't great, but a 4-1 aggregate defeat against the swiss? I know which team I want in the playoffs, that's for sure.

lopez
11/10/2009, 12:43 PM

While im at it how can the bertie ahern chuckle club get away with the bull we had to endure from one of the most corrupt politicians ever on Todd Andrews Grandsons show on friday night.Brilliant post!

We are unbeaten, something most teams including the country most of our football comunity are more concerned with, couldn't do. We came second to the World Champions. We could have won yesterday, but I doubt that Italy would have not beaten Cyprus at home. Compared with the b*ll*cks of last time, this is a huge improvement. We've drawn games that we would have lost with Stan. We can certainly score goals and take the lead. We need to now learn how to defend a lead, something we weren't doing when Keane was playing(Macedonia '99, Holland 2000).

If we can play as well as yesterday, stay focused and keep the hospital passes to a minimum, be able to defend a lead, we can take any of those four teams. BTW. Ronaldo was injured yesterday with a reuccurring ankle problem and won't play against Malta. He may be knackered for the play-offs.

razorb
11/10/2009, 1:10 PM
Anyone know what dates are the playoffs on next month? With us not being top seed will that mean we play home in first leg? Anyone know? Need to have airline web pages open on Friday when draw is done

noddy102
11/10/2009, 1:14 PM
Anyone know what dates are the playoffs on next month? With us not being top seed will that mean we play home in first leg? Anyone know? Need to have airline web pages open on Friday when draw is done

1. 14th and 18th of November.

2. A seperate draw will be made to decide which teams will play home or away first. In other words, the seeding will not determine home/away fixture being first.

3. The draw is on Monday 19th October.

fionnsci
11/10/2009, 1:21 PM
Play off dates are November 14th and 18th.

Ireland Rugby team are playing Australia in Croke Park on the 15th....supposing this won't be a problem. Seats, goalposts and lines would have to be removed overnight.

NeilMcD
11/10/2009, 1:23 PM
No prob with seats they will be left in. They will be there for the rugby. Goalposts and lines are easily changed.

SuperDave
11/10/2009, 1:24 PM

Draw is monday, not friday.... also, home v away will be decided with the draw...

SuperDave
11/10/2009, 1:42 PM
Flights:

Paris: Ryanair or Aer Lingus direct from Dublin (Ryanair currently markedly cheaper, round 50 euro return)
Athens: Easyjet (Gatwick / Luton) or BA via London (over 100 GBP with easyjet, 145 with ba, neither include flights to London)
Lisbon: Just Aer Lingus I think, about 125 euro
Moscow: About 200 GBP London - Moscow return with BA, again no flights to london in that price, bmi also fly london - moscow.... all in all, very difficult

noddy102
11/10/2009, 1:47 PM
Flights:

Paris: Ryanair or Aer Lingus direct from Dublin (Ryanair currently markedly cheaper, round 50 euro return)
Athens: Easyjet (Gatwick / Luton) or BA via London (over 100 GBP with easyjet, 145 with ba, neither include flights to London)
Lisbon: Just Aer Lingus I think, about 125 euro
Moscow: About 200 GBP London - Moscow return with BA, again no flights to london in that price, bmi also fly london - moscow.... all in all, very difficult

Do we know the Portugal match will be in Lisbon though?

carloz
11/10/2009, 1:57 PM
Personally the only one id want to avoid is Russia. Horrendous place to go and hope to get a result. their home record is amazing and it will be a much more hostile crowd than in Lisbon. Paris or Athens. I think the most important thing for us is to pray we play away first. Whatever team we get, if we play away first, id fancy us

SuperDave
11/10/2009, 2:05 PM
Do we know the Portugal match will be in Lisbon though?

Good point.... they have played qualifiers in Porto, Braga, Lisbon (x2) and Guimaraes this Wednesday (when Irishman Alan Kelly will be refereeing).... makes me think Porto is the most likely, as Lisbon will have hosted two games and Porto only one.... hmmm..... Ryanair fly to Porto from loads of UK destinations but not anywhere in Ireland, and easyjet fly from gatwick starting november 2nd (good for us).... ryanair flights v stansted are very cheap (like 30 GBP return)

Closed Account 2
11/10/2009, 2:18 PM
Porto is only around 3 hours by train from Lisbon, so even if it was in the Dragao, logistically that wouldnt be too bad if flying into Lisbon.

Rossiya Air fly to Russia via UK and SAS (Swedish/Norwegians) also fly via the North Cape...

Closed Account 2
11/10/2009, 4:45 PM
Could we get a mod to do a poll on this, as to who we would most want to face? Maybe do it after the Swiss / Greece issue is resolved on Wednesday.

Noelys Guitar
11/10/2009, 5:03 PM
What is your gut feeling on who we will draw? I have a feeling it will be Greece (if they finish second). I can't ever remember us playing them which is strange?