PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence starts - team for Italy game named

Donegalcelt
09/10/2009, 1:30 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1009/ireland.html

IsMiseSean
09/10/2009, 1:42 PM
Only one position was up for grabs... Lawrence or Hunt. I glad Lawrence is being given a chance in a big game, lets see what his made off.
One thing I dont understand is why the team is made public this early, surely this gives an advantage to the Italians?? Knowing Lawrence is starting on the right gives there LB a chance to do some research on him and get to know his strengths and weakness...
Why not wait to announce the team an hour before kick-off... Like pretty much every other nation do!

amaccann
09/10/2009, 1:45 PM
Only one position was up for grabs... Lawrence or Hunt. I glad Lawrence is being given a chance in a big game, lets see what his made off.
One thing I dont understand is why the team is made public this early, surely this gives an advantage to the Italians?? Knowing Lawrence is starting on the right gives there LB a chance to do some research on him and get to know his strengths and weakness...
Why not wait to announce the team an hour before kick-off... Like pretty much every other nation do!
Probably because notwithstanding the inclusion of Lawrence, Ireland's teams have been fairly predictable. We're not losing anything by withholding the teamsheet

Real Rover
09/10/2009, 1:46 PM
Good move...i like!

Junior
09/10/2009, 1:49 PM
Probably because notwithstanding the inclusion of Lawrence, Ireland's teams have been fairly predictable. We're not losing anything by withholding the teamsheet

I think we could have kept it close to our chest. Im not sure the Italians would have done much research on Lawrence, the clear assumption in my mind would have been that Hunt would have played. It benefits no one other than nosey fans like ourselves :D and the media to announce the team this early........unless......another twist awaits us prior to kick off......

EAFC_rdfl
09/10/2009, 1:55 PM
I think we could have kept it close to our chest. Im not sure the Italians would have done much research on Lawrence, the clear assumption in my mind would have been that Hunt would have played. It benefits no one other than nosey fans like ourselves :D and the media to announce the team this early........unless......another twist awaits us prior to kick off......
Either way, I'm sure the world champions will have done their homework on any of hunt, mcgeady or lawrence starting either left or right for us - if they feel they need to...

Bluebeard
09/10/2009, 1:57 PM
I suspect that there is method in this madness. Trapp should know the way these boys work (what with being one of them), and will likely be playing the old psyche-out game. Italy will be preparing for the way we play, and after a fashion forcing Italy to design their team around ours, rather than the other way around.

And then he'll fool everyone by playing Lawrence at left back and Killer on the wing, with O'Shea up front and Robbie Keane and Glen Whelan in central defence, and playing tango football like Argentina on their good days. And the Italians think they have the advantage...

gspain
09/10/2009, 1:58 PM
Statement of confidence too though. Trap knows the Italian mindset. They are afraid of us.

Wolfie
09/10/2009, 2:03 PM
8 posts into a Lawrence thread and not a mention of him "roasting" the full back or being good in the box.

Could someone do the honours, please?

LFCSixty/Eighty
09/10/2009, 2:17 PM
Maybe someone should tell Reidy that Trap obviously prefers his players participating in the late night 'sessions' that Lawrence gets involved in! Won't be that much different really, he'll still be 'strumming' away into the small hours....

Donegalcelt
09/10/2009, 2:22 PM
It was roasting in Nicosia. T-shirts and shorts.
Without dwelling on the negative, but i'd fancy our chances better with Ireland, S Reid, A Reid and Duff. Ah well, (please don't start debate!)
If Bulgaria fail to win, we should know right before kick-off. If there was ever a reason (not that we should need one but ...) to go gun-hoe, then that would be it

paul_oshea
09/10/2009, 2:24 PM
strumming the plek

Den Perry
09/10/2009, 2:26 PM
8 posts into a Lawrence thread and not a mention of him "roasting" the full back or being good in the box.

Could someone do the honours, please?

lol brilliant

gspain
09/10/2009, 2:48 PM
It was roasting in Nicosia. T-shirts and shorts.
Without dwelling on the negative, but i'd fancy our chances better with Ireland, S Reid, A Reid and Duff. Ah well, (please don't start debate!)
If Bulgaria fail to win, we should know right before kick-off. If there was ever a reason (not that we should need one but ...) to go gun-hoe, then that would be it

I don't think you'll get much argument that Ireland, Steven Reid and Duffer would walk on the team if fit and available.

There is a different thread for the Andy Reid scenario.

Bluebeard
09/10/2009, 2:54 PM
I don't think you'll get much argument that Ireland, Steven Reid and Duffer would walk on the team if fit and available.

There is a different thread for the Andy Reid scenario.

Dunno. Andy Reid has always been proud to fill his shirt for Ireland....

Dyl10
09/10/2009, 4:13 PM
Andy Reid has always been proud to fill his shirt

and then some :D

tommy_c12000
09/10/2009, 4:54 PM
No pace, no fighting spirit. Expect him to get a schooling off Grosso. He has good technical ability and expert dead ball skills on his side though. Yet another bad call out of an ever increasingly stubborn Trappatoni

carloz
09/10/2009, 5:05 PM
No pace, no fighting spirit. Expect him to get a schooling off Grosso. He has good technical ability and expert dead ball skills on his side though. Yet another bad call out of an ever increasingly stubborn Trappatoni

Oh for god sake. Our biggest weakness in this campaign has been from set pieces, which is a big pity when we have players like Dunne, O'Shea and Doyle who are very good in the air. Lawrence is excellent from set pieces, and lets be honest we wont create much against Italy so set pieces could decide the game. I hope you are not one of those people who use any stick to attack Trap. The time to decide if its a bad call is after the game. This is probably the biggest game of lawrences life, im sure he will geta fighting spirit from somewhere

irishfan86
09/10/2009, 5:10 PM

He looked motivated against South Africa, and he's talked about playing for Ireland for a couple of years now. He'll need no motivation to up his game against Italy (easiest team talk of Trap's life I'd imagine in terms of motivating the players).

But the last sentence really gets me. Giving a competitive debut to a player is stubborn?

So if he named the same starting XI as we all predicted, he's stubborn, and if he gives a player a competitive debut he's stubborn?

Is the only way he'll be considered non-stubborn if he makes Andy Reid captain?

livehead1
09/10/2009, 6:01 PM
I was at university with Lawrence's first cousin; he doesn't consider himself Irish, any thoughts?

SkStu
09/10/2009, 6:04 PM
Liam or the cousin?

the cousin? good for him, i dont consider myself English either.

Liam? Its hearsay either way and he has always stated his desire to play for Ireland. Clinton Morrison probably doesnt consider himself Irish either but it doesnt seem to bother most of us...

tommy_c12000
09/10/2009, 6:12 PM
He looked motivated against South Africa, and he's talked about playing for Ireland for a couple of years now. He'll need no motivation to up his game against Italy (easiest team talk of Trap's life I'd imagine in terms of motivating the players).

But the last sentence really gets me. Giving a competitive debut to a player is stubborn?

So if he named the same starting XI as we all predicted, he's stubborn, and if he gives a player a competitive debut he's stubborn?

Is the only way he'll be considered non-stubborn if he makes Andy Reid captain?

Lawrence looked sluggish and disinterested against South Africa. His excellent free kick apart, he contributed very little to the team's performance. It is crazy not having Andy Reid in the squad. It is Trap's sheer ego that is keeping him from calling him back into the squad. Calling up Rowlands in front of him was an absolute disgrace. Leaving your pride and ego dictate decisions like giving a competitive debut to an average winger against the World Champions when a rejuvenated Andy Reid is waiting in the wings, is stubborness to me

Colbert Report
09/10/2009, 6:26 PM
I think we're in for a hiding. 4-0 Italy.

peadar1987
09/10/2009, 7:08 PM
Liam has always blown hot and cold (obligatory sex pun!) for Stoke, he'll have maybe 7 or 8 good games, and then a complete dog of a match! Unfortunately he had a bad one against SA, but he is not in any way lacking in committment or drive, and he has the potential to really add something to the team.

While on the subject of Stoke players, I rate Delap far higher than I rate Whelan, and would love to see him in the side, and not just for his throws!

LFCSixty/Eighty
09/10/2009, 7:35 PM
Its funny how trap wouldn't even consider Lawrence at all last season, not even good enough to be included in the squad. Now that he has seen him in the flesh a few times he decides he worth throwing in. While I'm in agreement at the decision, i wish he had a bit more international experience behind him. I can think of a good few friendlies where trap didn't even put on substitutes and its now that we are having to throw these guys in (Sean St ledger being another example)

Shame he doesn't spend a bit more time away from that 'poor' wife of his, and a bit more time in a few Premier Hotels around England checking out players who are on the fringes. Instead, he only gets to see them on trips to portugal/training sessions and crunch qualifying ties.

Fizzer
09/10/2009, 7:47 PM

Thats the spirit. You always seem to predict a negative outcome for us (which invariably prove incorrect) Have you an ounce of belief in our team at all?
Have you got a clue about the way Italian sides play? The italians need a draw to qualify, if they score, they'll shut up shop. They're not gonna stick four past us and they'll have no interest in doing so.

Razors left peg
09/10/2009, 8:25 PM

I honestly dont get predictions like that. Even in our darkest days under Staunton we didnt lose games by that high a score in compeditive games at home. I dont remember it ever happening in my life time to be honest. I think we tend to play to the standard of the opposition most times and we always raise our game when playing against the better teams. So while we may lose 1 or even 2 nil(which I dont think we will), I cant see any possiblity of losing 4 nil at home.... but have a little bet on it if u are confident in that score and u will make urself a nice bit of cash

SkStu
09/10/2009, 8:31 PM
Stans second game (a friendly) was a 4-0 drubbing from the Dutch wasnt it? Though i agree that it certainly wont happen tomorrow, Italy arent the sort of side to do that, despite having the ability to do so..

Stuttgart88
09/10/2009, 8:34 PM
Third game I think. Second game was a 1-0 defeat by Chile. Dutch game was a friendly - I think razor was quite calculated in saying "competitive", realising immediately everyone would bring up the Dutch thrashing!

Razors left peg
09/10/2009, 8:35 PM
Stans second game (a friendly) was a 4-0 drubbing from the Dutch wasnt it? Though i agree that it certainly wont happen tomorrow, Italy arent the sort of side to do that, despite having the ability to do so..

I was talking about compeditive games. The only game I remember us getting a real hammering at home was when we were 3 nil down to Spain after a half hour and the game finished 3-1 in the qualifiers for the USA world cup. Im open to correction but I think u would have to go a long way back to find us beaten 4 nil at home in any qualifiers

geysir
09/10/2009, 9:46 PM
It's hardly worth the effort to engage in a sensible retort to an attention starved wum like CR

Drumcondra 69er
09/10/2009, 9:54 PM

Unsure if you're a wum or just a nob. Think it's probably the latter.....

back of the net
09/10/2009, 10:07 PM

were u bullied in school or something?????

FFS

back of the net
09/10/2009, 10:08 PM
I was at university with Lawrence's first cousin; he doesn't consider himself Irish, any thoughts?

u could sell that story to the Sun......

it is that worthless

Crosby87
09/10/2009, 10:31 PM
His cousin or him?

irishfan86
09/10/2009, 11:32 PM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/irishfan86/traphope.jpg

Noelys Guitar
09/10/2009, 11:33 PM
Lawerence lacks pace and can sometimes dive in. But he is strong. Has an excellent first touch and can score goals. He had a very good game against SA (for those wearing blinkers). Look at the quality of his corner kicks. Every one of them went just beyond the keeper and just beyond the far post. Ala Johnny Giles in his heyday. He just edges Hunt and I agree with Trap's decision to play him in this particular game.

Fizzer
09/10/2009, 11:34 PM
Unsure if you're a wum or just a nob. Think it's probably the latter.....

Both I'd say

SkStu
10/10/2009, 3:27 AM
I was talking about compeditive games. The only game I remember us getting a real hammering at home was when we were 3 nil down to Spain after a half hour and the game finished 3-1 in the qualifiers for the USA world cup. Im open to correction but I think u would have to go a long way back to find us beaten 4 nil at home in any qualifiers

yeah, i knew you were talking competitive, i was just generating some discussion -

Denmark (with the Laudrups) won in Dublin 4-2 in qualifying for 86 i think - i think thats a fact i learnt off as a young lad back in the day. We also got smashed 3-0 away in Portugal a while back (cant remember the year). And there was the 4-2 in Moscow under Mick Mack. We dont generally get hammered though.

irishfan86
10/10/2009, 4:07 AM
Pretty hard to get hammered when you've got Given between the sticks.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2009, 6:56 AM
yeah, i knew you were talking competitive, i was just generating some discussion -

Denmark (with the Laudrups) won in Dublin 4-2 in qualifying for 86 i think - i think thats a fact i learnt off as a young lad back in the day. We also got smashed 3-0 away in Portugal a while back (cant remember the year). And there was the 4-2 in Moscow under Mick Mack. We dont generally get hammered though.Was it not 4-1 against Denmark?

You've just cited 2 away games as evidence against Razor's claim that we rarely get thrashed at home. Or maybe that's just for discussion.

OwlsFan
10/10/2009, 8:08 AM
We also got smashed 3-0 away in Portugal a while back (cant remember the year).

Yep, I was at that one. 1995 I think. Wet and windy. Big crush getting in to the stadium. No cover from the elements. No transport worth talking about after the game. A feeling that the end of Jack's era was near. Haven't been back to Portugal since. Horrible.

geysir
10/10/2009, 11:25 AM
Down through the years, the FAI have been cute enough to get a decent proportion of the (pressure) end games of the group at home.

back of the net
10/10/2009, 12:53 PM
Pretty hard to get hammered when you've got Given between the sticks.

Damn right my man

tonight we get to see the worlds 2 greatest keepers go head to head

John83
10/10/2009, 3:27 PM
Short of getting Dunne sent off in the first five minutes, we're not losing 0-4. I'm expecting 1-1.

Deckydee
10/10/2009, 3:36 PM
Any idea of the subs anyone?

Razors left peg
10/10/2009, 4:39 PM
Short of getting Dunne sent off in the first five minutes, we're not losing 0-4. I'm expecting 1-1.

it would take Dunne and Given for that to happen