PDA

View Full Version : FAI tv

Razors left peg
09/10/2009, 11:34 AM
I was just looking through the tv listings to see if the under21 game is on Sky tonight and was disappointed to see that its not. But it got me thinking whether a tv channel just dedicated to irish football would work.

There seem to been channels for the most ridiculous things on the sky box, I think theres is even one dedicated just to an insurance company or something like that!

I realise that the tv rights to the full international games are valuable to the FAI so Im not suggesting that these games should be live on the channel,but there are lots of underage games from under 15s up to under 21s that I would like to see.Plus it would be an opportunity to show more league of Ireland games and promote the league.

Maybe in the current financial climate its not possible but I think that in the future the FAI need to start thinking about different way to promote the game in this country.

irishfan86
09/10/2009, 4:01 PM
The problem with something like FAI TV would be that it would inevitably be a "specialty" channel that wouldn't be part of basic packages due to its very specific target audience.

The whole point (beyond immediate profits) of having games on free-to-air, or basic packages, is to promote the game to casual fans.

FAI TV wouldn't promote the game, and in fact may do the opposite.

That all said, it sounds like it would be a cool idea, as long as the big matches remain on free-to-air, or basic channels (but then why would anyone order FAI TV?).

rambler14
09/10/2009, 4:11 PM
Nope.

Colbert Report
09/10/2009, 6:24 PM
Great idea, I'd watch it, but it will never happen. Not cost effective.

happydays97
09/10/2009, 7:30 PM
Anyone find a link for the u-21 game anywhere online???

Crosby87
09/10/2009, 10:29 PM
Why dont they just air it on the FAI website? I admit that isnt always ideal but it would be better than nothing.