PDA

View Full Version : Rovers v Galway 09/10/09

Pages : [1] 2

srfc1928
08/10/2009, 11:14 PM
As with every game these days, tomorrow nights game against the crusties is the biggest of the season, not just for us but for them aswell.
Whatever about beating Bray last week, this really is the game that will keep them up imo.
Of all the teams down at the bottom i think Galway have the hardest run in, they really need the points to get them to the 40 point mark (I think 41 points will do it and they are bound to pick up a point or two along the way no matter what)
With Boco on international duty, will Danny stay at right back, will Ryan come in at midfield ?
Looking forward to the game,bring on the crusties

6th.Galway- Rovers(A),Derry(H),Bohs(H),Drogheda(A),Shams(A),Co rk(H) 37points

7th.Pats- Dundalk(A),Bray(H),Bohs(A),Derry(H)Drogheda(A),Sha ms(H). 33points

8th.Rovers- Galway(H)Bray(H),Dundalk(A),Derry(A),Bohs(A),Drogh eda(H). 30points

9th.Drogheda - Bohs(A),Shams(A),Galway(H),Cork(A),Pats(H),Rovers( A). 28points

10th.Bray W- Cork(H),Rovers(A)St.Pats(A),Dundalk(H),Derry(A),Bo hs(H). 23points

CF1989
09/10/2009, 12:11 AM
was told Boco has not gone to Benin and is playing tomorrow night. dont know how tre that is though

Boo_Boy
09/10/2009, 12:32 AM
Maybe he isn't playing the next few games for them since we have massive games coming up or something. He might have asked to be left out?. Fair play to him if he did.

sligofan4ever
09/10/2009, 12:39 AM
Maybe he isn't playing the next few games for them since we have massive games coming up or something. He might have asked to be left out?. Fair play to him if he did.

Agreed, hes very commited to club football, he even travelled from Benin for a game against Cork in June during his World Cup fixtures! Benin AFAIK wont have enough points to make the World Cup now anyways so maybe they'll let him stay here and play.

Rovers Maniac
09/10/2009, 9:07 AM
We really need the 3 points tonight, i know galway are not safe yet but they are nearly and that couldmean coming here with no pressure to get a result, we need to have more hunger in the belly than them. They will enjoy nothing more than getting a result over us, so we have to play at the same quick tempo we played against Pats. the right set of results tonight and we could be out of this playoff zone.

Redzer
09/10/2009, 9:17 AM
Agreed, hes very commited to club football, he even travelled from Benin for a game against Cork in June during his World Cup fixtures! Benin AFAIK wont have enough points to make the World Cup now anyways so maybe they'll let him stay here and play.

I think I read somewhere that Benin had a good chance in some African Cup competition. I wonder is that the competition this weekend? If it is there is a good chance he will be called up.

redobit
09/10/2009, 9:24 AM
Soccer Republic say he's on International Duty. See here (http://soccerrepublic.eircom.net/News/leagueofireland/roversmustplanwithoutbrushandboco.aspx)

Rovers Maniac
09/10/2009, 9:33 AM
I think I read somewhere that Benin had a good chance in some African Cup competition. I wonder is that the competition this weekend? If it is there is a good chance he will be called up.

As far as i know the world cup qualification acts as a qualification tournament for the Africans nations cup as well. So the top place finisher in each group may go to the World Cup and the then the second placed team may go to the African nations cup with the top place team. It actually may even go down to the third place finisher also goes to the ANC, i am not sure of the exact details.

As redobit says he deffo away, but i think he will be back for Bray on Tuesday.

CF1989
09/10/2009, 10:37 AM
it was sligoman who told me so he probably has his facts wrong

Red4Eva
09/10/2009, 11:03 AM
He's available tonight but definitely not for Bray game

Rovers Maniac
09/10/2009, 11:31 AM
He's available tonight but definitely not for Bray game

Are you sure of that Red? All the media seems to suggest he is out.

Red4Eva
09/10/2009, 11:36 AM
Are you sure of that Red? All the media seems to suggest he is out.

You trust the media before you trust me? I'm disappointed Maniac

prodsc
09/10/2009, 11:48 AM
Benin play Ghana on Sunday. They cannot qualify for the WC but the top 3 (from 4) in the group qualify for the ANC. I expect he is away for this game, media have it he will be back for Tuesday, if a bit knackered.

They have another game to play in the group - on 14 Nov - in the middle of the final play off games- hopefully we won't be involved in these 2 games.

Rovers Maniac
09/10/2009, 12:26 PM
You trust the media before you trust me? I'm disappointed Maniac

:D sure i know you Red thats the problem :p

Great news, fair play.

Rovers1
09/10/2009, 12:39 PM
This is the third time, i think, that Rommy has put Rovers before Benin. Fair play Rommy, what a hero!

Rory H
09/10/2009, 1:12 PM
Looks like there'll be around 100 galway fans, armed with headbands, should be a good atmosphere.

Sean South
09/10/2009, 1:28 PM
Looks like there'll be around 100 galway fans, armed with headbands, should be a good atmosphere.
I heard they will be lighting bonfires along the road and painting tractor tyres too

Mr Maroon
09/10/2009, 1:47 PM
What's the weather like up there? Any chance of the cabbage patch being waterlogged?

sligofan4ever
09/10/2009, 2:08 PM
What's the weather like up there? Any chance of the cabbage patch being waterlogged?

Its been raining a good bit, but its been fine the last few hours. Nothing wrong with a Cabbage patch Mr.Maroon, much better than The Swampy Bog A.K.A Terryland Park.

Mr Maroon
09/10/2009, 2:11 PM
That Swampy Bog happens to be the best pitch in the league.

celticV3
09/10/2009, 2:17 PM
That Swampy Bog happens to be the best pitch in the league.
Not even you believe that.

Mr Maroon
09/10/2009, 2:20 PM
No, it actually won some award. Do a google for it if you can be bothered.

celticV3
09/10/2009, 2:25 PM
Interestingly enough found This (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Galway+united+have+the+bestest+pitch+in+the+wor ld%2C+ever)

Rovers1
09/10/2009, 3:10 PM
As much as i hate Galway Utd and all associated, Terryland is a brilliant pitch, although for the last few weeks Showgies pitch hasn't been too bad.

gufc2000
09/10/2009, 5:45 PM
Galway Utd Team News:

Back from suspension are Shane Guthrie and Garry Breen. Iarfhlaith Davoren maybe added to the sqaud depending on a late fitness test. Seamus Conneely is absent as he is with the Irish u21 side.

http://galwayunitedfc.ie/

GuisaSaigon
09/10/2009, 6:41 PM

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1044/

MMVIII
09/10/2009, 9:15 PM
Happy Days :)

sligofan4ever
09/10/2009, 9:33 PM
Delighted :) only a point behind Pats and if we only need to be level on points to go ahead of them in table with a superior goal difference. Drogs losing was a massive boost for us aswell. A great perofrmance all around, but we should've been 3 goals up atleast before Marshall scored.

Brian Boru
09/10/2009, 9:56 PM
What a difference a week makes. After the Shams match we were 6 points adrift of Pats. Now we're challenging Galway's position even. What a team. The performance level is excellent and I think we'll finish above Pats and Galway and win the cup!! Raf is a legend and the best player in the league. I hope he doesn't go to Shams. We'll be able to match their wages. We must sign these players on longer contracts but that's for another days discussion.

sligoman
09/10/2009, 9:56 PM
I felt we really needed that 2nd goal to kill it off. Galway had a lot of possession but didn't really create many chances. Wasn't the best of performances but we got the right result. With Bray coming from behind tonight, they'll have a bit of confidence going into the game Tuesday, it's going to be tough but if we can get the 3 points in that, we're really giving ourselves hope. People shouldn't be getting carried away just yet!

red arrow
09/10/2009, 10:34 PM
very good result. we domiated the game posession wise and created many chances. its great to get the 3 points. what we have to be careful of is getting yellow cards. i thought what meenaghan did to night was very stupid. getting a yellow card for time wasting (tying his boot lace in galways half of the field after we had scored the 2nd goal) really stupid thing to do. we need every player for the run in. another thing is the pitches are going to get heavier(winter setting in) and this will be an extra strain on the players. i suppose every game is a cup final now, we must keep supporting the club & the team. exciting times at the moment and with the break of the ball we can be in dream land

CarrickFan
09/10/2009, 10:57 PM
its always tense at 1up!!!..we really should have got 1 or 2 more..Ryan made a few smart saves..Doyle was good as mentioned..Cash also impressed.no bad performances really..another clean sheet is a huge bonus aswell..hopefully we can keep it going on Tuesday and then on to Oriel.

Rory H
09/10/2009, 10:58 PM
Good win, think Galway are a lot better than they showed tonight but we will motor on and bring on Bray. If anyone needs a reminder of how good Bray can be, look at their result tonight.

Mr Maroon
10/10/2009, 12:05 AM
The better team on the night definitely won.

dublinred
10/10/2009, 12:07 AM
Great result feck these friday and tuesday home games not great for us exiles.

Rovers Maniac
10/10/2009, 12:18 AM
Great result feck these friday and tuesday home games not great for us exiles.

Do any games suit you, where were you for Pats so my boy? :)

The match itself we totally dominated which you don't often see in derby matches. We should have won by a few goals, at one time it seemed it was Rovers v Barry Ryan. I thought Doyle and Blinkhorn were superb for us tonight along with Keane, to be honest i thought they all had a good game and i thought Kendrick had his best game since coming to the club. Also Brian Cash is having an excellent end to the season, working really hard and was involved in a lot of good play tonight. Decent crowd tonight but poor away support i thought.

dublinred
10/10/2009, 12:33 AM
Do any games suit you, where were you for Pats so my boy? :)

Yellow card due to late arrival of DSC bus from Cliftonville ..... also a big event at work called quarter end , we are way better than teams around us at the moment but would still prefer to avoid a play-off situation as the likes of Ritchie Winter and Hilda on a bad day could relegate us.

red bellied
10/10/2009, 1:31 AM
Cretaro scores another one to add to his tally. Sometimes he is so quick with his movement that he is too good. Blinkhorn is very good at holding and flicking balls on. The style of football is hardly what you would call purist and now has resulted in long balls most of the time at Blinky. Just over 2,000 crowd, around 70 from Galway.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
10/10/2009, 8:20 AM
Cretaro scores another one to add to his tally. Sometimes he is so quick with his movement that he is too good. Blinkhorn is very good at holding and flicking balls on. The style of football is hardly what you would call purist and now has resulted in long balls most of the time at Blinky. Just over 2,000 crowd, around 70 from Galway.

In the situation we're in it's results that matter. We still play a lot more football then pretty much every other team in the league. Bohs apart.

Dixie Dean
10/10/2009, 9:56 AM
Good result. The game was very bad though, hard to watch at times , an awful alot of mistakes.

If bray lose on tuesday they are as good as relegated so they will have to come out and play which suits rovers just fine.

bingoballs
10/10/2009, 7:18 PM
I think thats a bit harsh. There is a fair bit of route one football alright but when we use the wingers and hit teams on the break we look as good as anyone I have seen in the league anyway. I have to say that Blinkhorn is one of the most honest players I have ever seen on a football pitch and deserves every plaudit he gets.

CF1989
10/10/2009, 10:01 PM
blinks would have been my MOTM last night. hasnt scored in a while but loe the way he plays

sligofan4ever
10/10/2009, 10:08 PM
blinks would have been my MOTM last night. hasnt scored in a while but loe the way he plays

Blinkhorn and Cretaro are a great partnership, I really hope they're both here next season. Blinkhorn's job seems to be to set up Cretaro for a chance on front of goal.

sligo23
10/10/2009, 10:32 PM
would give it to doyle meself, taught he was fantastic.

CF1989
10/10/2009, 10:43 PM
yeah i think hes a great player. never stops working

gustavo
11/10/2009, 12:43 AM
Stupid question , I thought we had signed Doyle on loan from Shams but I seen somewhere else that it was permanent , which is true ?

Rovers Maniac
11/10/2009, 1:08 AM
Stupid question , I thought we had signed Doyle on loan from Shams but I seen somewhere else that it was permanent , which is true ?

I am pretty sure he is permanent but not 100% Gustavo. There was talk of loan move alright but i do think he is permsnent..

SligoBrewer
11/10/2009, 10:23 AM
We've have no playerrs signed on loan at the moment.

sligofan4ever
11/10/2009, 10:48 AM
Even if he is on loan, provided we dont finish in the bottom and get relegated, I can see him joining us permanently anyways, what are the chances he will play a game for Shms if he is on loan and goes back to them ? In the two games last season, I tought Doyle was a great player for Shams (and scored 2 great goals aswell), was delighted when he joined, definately has improved our attacking play.

SligoBrewer
11/10/2009, 11:00 PM
He is not on loan.