PDA

View Full Version : New Brandywell in 2012

brendy_éire
08/10/2009, 4:52 PM
From Derrycityfc.net

The club would like to make the following statement on the current situation surrounding the Brandywell Stadium
In recent months we have been engaging directly with Derry City Council, together with other user groups of the Brandywell, in an effort to find a solution to the ongoing difficulties that we face within the stadium

These discussions have proved very positive and have resulted in council committing themselves to 3 key points

1. The immediate health and safety works at Brandywell stadium

2. The redevelopment of the Brandywell stadium

3. The enhanced development of the surrounding area

As a club we will be heavily involved in the design and implementation of the first 2 points, which will result in our club finally having access to a stadium that will be fit for purpose and a facility that our supporters can be proud of

Whilst this will not result in our club achieving ownership of the stadium, it will result in us having access to a stadium that will be fit for purpose and will achieve a minimum of the current 3 star rating criteria required for European games, which will see substancial improvements throughout the stadium

We would like to place on record our thanks to Brandywell Properties that have already put enormous efforts into resolving the issues we have with the stadium and whilst this project is now unlikely to succeed in its entirity, large parts of the plan will be utilised within the new proposals, that will be finalised in the coming months

A completion time frame of Spring / Summer 2012 has been set by council and we look forward to engaging further with them and indeed other users of the stadium, to finally bring a first class modern stadium to the supporters of this football club and provide a facility that we can all be proud of and also benefit.

http://www.derrycityfc.net/cityweb/Late ... adium.html

-------------------------------------------------------

Great to finally have some movement on this. We don't get ownership, but at this stage I don't think anyone cares. We just need the ground sorted.

holidaysong
08/10/2009, 4:58 PM
Hopefully there is still a DCFC around in three years to use it..

Buller
08/10/2009, 5:39 PM
Fantastic to hear news that its going ahead. With the lack of news for nearly a year I thought it wasnt going to happen at all. Partial finances must have been secured? Any news on this is great news.

harry crumb
08/10/2009, 6:12 PM
Will there still be a greyhound track on the outside of pitch?

A face
08/10/2009, 6:14 PM
Please please get rid of the dog track. I cant see it being needed given that fact there is a brand new facility in the city already. But its an atmosphere killer, no Irish club can afford to pour any amount of money into a ground that is so far away form the action.

The same at Waterford, there is another track in the town yet the ground is ruined atmosphere wise because of the one in RSC.

dcfc1928
08/10/2009, 6:16 PM
I think yes. These new plans are not Derry City's. They are the council's and they have to cater for all users, including the doggy men, D&D FA etc. If the other plans (Brandywell Properties) had succeeded then Derry City would be owners and could redevelop without the doggy men, that seems not to be the case with these plans.

MariborKev
08/10/2009, 6:23 PM
Aye,

We have just wasted four years, and we are now launching on another plan which may or may not work. As SMorgan has stated, the question will be whether there is a club around when the stadium is built.

brendy_éire
08/10/2009, 6:46 PM
Aye,

We have just wasted four years, and we are now launching on another plan which may or may not work. As SMorgan has stated, the question will be whether there is a club around when the stadium is built.

That's the spirit, Kev! Believe!

On the dog track, I don't really mind it. In fact, I'd love to see a race or two staged at half time. I think that'd be great craic.

Finlay Harp
08/10/2009, 6:47 PM
Why dont Harps and Derry groundshare somewhere about Burt;)

Acornvilla
08/10/2009, 6:49 PM

On the dog track, I don't really mind it. In fact, I'd love to see a race or two staged at half time. I think that'd be great craic.
yaknow that would be a great way to get in new fans if ye oaganised a way to stage races before the game and at half time and after it? mabye once a month?

Mise Le Mas
08/10/2009, 6:52 PM
What a supid post.

Finlay Harp
08/10/2009, 6:54 PM
What a supid post.

I take it you dont do sarcasm?

Schumi
08/10/2009, 7:05 PM
Aye,

Could the club have afforded to do this themselves?

brendy_éire
08/10/2009, 7:09 PM

Nah. We needed £15 million for our idea for redevelopment. We could apparently get £5 million of it ourselves, then £5 from Stormont and £5 million from Dublin. But Stormont wouldn't give us anything.

MariborKev
08/10/2009, 7:27 PM

Keep believing the DCFC Pravada Brendy, the spin has long since worn off me.

MariborKev
08/10/2009, 7:28 PM

We can't pay the players, you do the math.

Buller
08/10/2009, 8:05 PM
What a supid post.

Oh the irony! :P

SkStu
08/10/2009, 8:18 PM
Good luck to Derry with this. Good news is good news

I hate these sort of comments though - not constructive and seem to pop up in every thread nowadays! :(

Hopefully there is still a DCFC around in three years to use it..

MariborKev
08/10/2009, 8:21 PM
SkStu,

There will always be a Derry City, it just may not be the current incarnation. Negative yes, but we can't avoid the elephant in the room.

Schumi
08/10/2009, 8:34 PM
We can't pay the players, you do the math.
It was a few years ago that you were planning this though wasn't it? Were things as bad then?

PartySaint
08/10/2009, 8:41 PM
but we can't avoid the elephant in the room.

Bohs fans have become masters in this this season

This is great news for Derry i hope it all goes ahead

MariborKev
This is a change in direction

The Council are now going to take the development on themselves. I'm not holding my breath, this is the same council that is wetting itself over a name change from Londonderry to Derry......

Dunny
As SMorgan has stated, the question will be whether there is a club around when the stadium is built.

Twas Holidaysong...;)

Hopefully this comes to fruition, good luck DCFC.:)

sheao
08/10/2009, 9:03 PM
Great to see work on this being done .

twoenz
08/10/2009, 9:36 PM
This is a change in direction

The Council are now going to take the development on themselves. I'm not holding my breath, this is the same council that is wetting itself over a name change from Londonderry to Derry......

Wonder will the Shinners throw their rattles out of the pram again & need the DUP to come up with the votes.

EalingGreen
08/10/2009, 11:21 PM
Nah. We needed £15 million for our idea for redevelopment. We could apparently get £5 million of it ourselves, then £5 from Stormont and £5 million from Dublin. But Stormont wouldn't give us anything.

Really? Let me see now...

1. "We could apparently get £5 million of it ourselves" - And there's me thinking that DCFC presently didn't have a pot to p1ss in;

2. " ...and £5 million from Dublin" - Not according to these people:

"Brandywell Properties have had their funding application to redevelop Derry City's stadium turned down by the Department of Sport in the Republic.
The application was refused because the club is located outside the state and is therefore deemed 'ineligible'."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/7967526.stm

3. "But Stormont wouldn't give us anything" - Perhaps because DCFC have not actually asked them? At least, they hadn't as recently as 27/03/09:
"The Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure in NI said it has never received a funding application"

As it happens, there are people at Stormont who are favourably disposed towards helping out at the Brandywell, including former Sports Minister, (Derryman) Gregory Campbell.
Indeed, another local representative had this to say:

"Sinn Fein MLA Raymond McCartney, who sits on the DCAL committee, said the department can assist Brandywell Properties in seeking a funding package"

It is clear that with the Maze having been scrapped, a proportion of that funding is available to fund the three main team sports in NI. As regards football, the bulk (£20m?) of its share will go towards redeveloping Windsor Park to make it fit for international football. But I have a suspicion that part of the behind-the-scenes horsetrading which is going on to get that past SF and the SDLP etc, could see a significant sum sent in the direction of Derry.

That said, in the present climate, no-one will be able to justify even part-funding of any scheme which is not workable and operated by capable and accountable people.
Which, I have to say, are hardly epithets which could be applied to the people who have been running DCFC's finances of late.

Or as Mr. McCartney put it:
" ...we have said if the business plan stacks up then we will be able to help"

Quite a big word, "if"...

holidaysong
09/10/2009, 12:00 AM
I hate these sort of comments though - not constructive and seem to pop up in every thread nowadays! :(

I genuinely hope this works out for Derry City. However, I think it is constructive to be realistic about the problems within our clubs instead of just sticking our heads in the sand and hoping that the financial mess goes away. Sure that kind of attitude has helped cause this mess.

SkStu
09/10/2009, 3:14 AM
yeah, i know HS. And i wasnt having a go at you per se. Just moaning generally over how quickly that phrase is trotted out on this forum for no real constructive purpose.

Macy
09/10/2009, 7:04 AM
yeah, i know HS. And i wasnt having a go at you per se. Just moaning generally over how quickly that phrase is trotted out on this forum for no real constructive purpose.
Handy timing of the annoucement for an underfire board all the same...

Mr A
09/10/2009, 8:49 AM
Handy timing of the annoucement for an underfire board all the same...

Indeed. A cynic might suggest it isn't a coincidence.

pineapple stu
09/10/2009, 8:59 AM
Was just going to mention that point.

I know this has been mooted for a while, but is the general feeling that something is now going to happen, or that this is just the board deflecting criticism with a long-term good news story?

EalingGreen
09/10/2009, 9:41 AM
I know this has been mooted for a while, but is the general feeling that something is now going to happen, or that this is just the board deflecting criticism with a long-term good news story?

Considering how long this redevelopment has been discussed, I too wonder whether it is mere coincidence that talk of it has been revived at exactly the same time as the club got its ass kicked by Dungannon Swifts over the McGinn transfer:
http://www.tribune.ie/archive/article/2001/sep/09/government-may-help-fund-brandywell-overhaul/
(Note the date)